Keyboard shortcut to return to notes list

shelmart

Idea

I have a notebook that contains about 400 notes that need to have their tags reviewed and updated.

I wish to do this without my  hands leaving the keyboard, but there is one critical keyboard shortcut missing.

Right now, I have two panes visible in Evernote: 

(1) On the left, a list of all the notes in the notebook

(2) On the right, a window that displays the content of whichever note is selected in the  left-hand pane

I can quickly edit the tags of the displayed note by typing CMD ' to access the tags area in headings.

When I'm finished editing the tag for the displayed note, I want to move back to the notes list, and then use the arrow key to move down to the next note in the list (so I can review and edit its tags).

I cannot find a keyboard shortcut to take me back to the notes list.  I've reviewed Evernote's list of keyboard shortcuts, and I can't see any that apply.

I've asked Evernote support (via a chat) if they're aware of a keyboard shortcut that will do what I'm trying to do. They said there is none.

So, this is a formal request to Evernote: please create a new keyboard shortcut for this function.

Note that I am a long-time premium member, if that makes a difference to the attention this request will be given.

thanks in advance for your help.

9 replies to this idea

That's a link to a discussion about Evernote for Mac 5.6 Public Beta 1 -- are you saying that this feature is in this beta?  Page four has a few mentions keyboard shortcuts, but it is with regards to highlighting, not returning to the notes list after editing.

I was just pouring over the list of Mac keyboard shortcuts for this in version 6.0.5 (451190 App Store) but have been unable to find it yet.   The trouble with seemingly obvious workflow enhancements like this is attempting to clearly communicate them so that they are discoverable.   I think "Keyboard shortcut to return to notes list" is pretty good but difficult to find in a keyword search because all the words are fairly generic.  It feels like I spend most of my time looking for specific things that can only be described using the most generics words that in turn elude search engine detection.

Looking in the View menu there's a "Select Note List" shortcut (command-I ?) but selecting command-I from the keyboard doesn't work.   Using the mouse to select it from the drop-down menu does snap focus away from the note and on the list.   So close....

Looking in the View menu there's a "Select Note List" shortcut (command-I ?) but selecting command-I from the keyboard doesn't work.   Using the mouse to select it from the drop-down menu does snap focus away from the note and on the list.   So close....

Ya, I can't find anything that works. Maybe somebody from Evernote will see that there's activity in this thread, and will explain what they meant by having added ""Keyboard shortcut to return to notes list" -- and PRECISELY  what the shortcut is, sigh.

I would guess, though, that we won't hear from them. Their customer support is horrible; I've actually terminated my Premium account after supporting Evernote for five years, because the "concierge" support that's promised to Premium users simply doesn't exist. If the level of support I got as a Premium user is the best they have, then there is no hope of any assistance for anyone who doesn't have a Premium account (given that paid users already get next to nothing). 

Ya, I can't find anything that works. Maybe somebody from Evernote will see that there's activity in this thread, and will explain what they meant by having added ""Keyboard shortcut to return to notes list" -- and PRECISELY  what the shortcut is, sigh.

I would guess, though, that we won't hear from them. Their customer support is horrible; I've actually terminated my Premium account after supporting Evernote for five years, because the "concierge" support that's promised to Premium users simply doesn't exist. If the level of support I got as a Premium user is the best they have, then there is no hope of any assistance for anyone who doesn't have a Premium account (given that paid users already get next to nothing). 

I poked around on the forums for a bit after I wrote the above comment, and discovered that I had misinterpreted the keystrokes that form the new shortcut that returns people to the notes list. It is not Cmd-l (lower-case L): it is Cmd-| (pipe).  I bet I'm not the only person who didn't get that!!

The | (pipe) character is  the one that shares the backslash key, and is invoked with a shift. So, it would be better if Evernote would promote that keyboard shortcut as Cmd-shift-| rather than Cmd-| 

But anyway, I now know the correct key combination, and it does work. Hallelujah!!!  That combo, in conjunction with the tab key to move from the list to the current note; and cmd-ctrl-m to move a note to a different notebook, means I can do pretty much all my organizing without needing to touch the  mouse. 

This other discussion in these forums was really helpful:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/50097-keyboard-shortcut-to-set-focus-on-list/ 

Archived