Print Margins

mcoller

Is there a way to change the margins when printing an Evernote note?  I use evernote for my lecture notes and have found that if I ever need to print a note (from my computer), the margins are ridiculously large.  How can I make better use of the page and make the margins smaller?

• Level 5*

Nothing 'official' that I'm aware of - you could print to PDF and adjust the print settings for that document,  or cut/ paste your note into a word processor and have complete control of the page layout and printing from there.  There are changes to the note editor in the pipeline (we hear) so maybe that will include print controls too..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

This is now a year old and Evernote seem to have ignored it completely in all their updates. Its a real pain in the proverbial not being able to set margins and real tabs. It means that you have to always attach documents to notes if you want to be able to print and format properly.

Shame its a great product otherwise but see comment on file location.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree with reducing print margins. Seems to have been an issue for a while and has just got even worse since updating to the latest version 6.0 (post-Yosemite).

I use Evernote for University notes which I like to print and am now considering moving over to Notability simply for this reason, despite Evernote having a much better interface, cloud sync and formatting features.

With the default size 13 font, I can only fit about 13 words on a line of A4.

If you are able to make margins EVEN BIGGER in the latest update, what stops them being made much smaller or adjustable?

• Level 5*

Re Yosemite..

The design is very different,  and if you want to share your view on that,  there's a thread here.
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78417-evernote-for-mac-6-design-feedback

There were some bugs with 6.0,  that are gradually being fixed.  To express your feelings on that,  use this thread.
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78421-evernote-for-mac-6-mac-app-store-version-notes-not-loading-untitled-note-or-slowness-issues

To fix the initial problems with 6.0 and the later releases,  it's important to download the latest verions of Evernote from their website rather than from the App Store.  The latest version I know of is now here - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78578-evernote-for-mac-603-released

It's also advised to completely remove the current installed version of Evernote and to perform a 'clean' reinstall,  after backing up your database and exporting any local notebooks or unsynced notes - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/77444-how-to-completely-remove-and-reinstall-en-mac/

If the new version is unusable,  it's possible to step back to an earlier version of Evernote after completing the step above - just find an installer for an earlier version.  It's not necessarily a good move to go back though - updates include tweaks and fixes for earlier bugs that you'll be missing.  Check these posts for more information - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/77171-how-do-i-revert-back-to-previous-version-of-everynote/

Don't know how far this impacts any problems you may be having,  but Yosemite apparently has some issues of its own - http://lifehacker.com/fix-yosemite-wi-fi-issues-with-a-terminal-command-1663414063/all

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll add one more voice to this.

Ideally I would like to use Evernote to type up notes that I can later export as pdf.

However, as others have observed, the margins are ridiculously large, causing the text to wrap.

Since Evernote offers no way to change that, I will have to use another application, making

Evernote much less useful to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with other comments about the poor ability to print from Evernote.  While I adore the service and use it constantly (personal use only) throughout the day, each and every day, I would like to be able to print a note occasionally.  Currently notes have enormous margins and are awkwardly spaced on the page.  Please Evernote, fix this problem. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

it's the same for me .. I've been using Evernote for years with many notes but nowadays i want to use also real paper notebooks. So i wanted to print some Evernote notes to glue them in my notebooks.

The problem is the margins are too big .. really too big ..  that may not be too difficult to change and add an option but i'm a bit pessimistic because Evernote devs can be very long to listen to their faithful customers ...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Please, please, please update with the ability to format margins

I have been using the application all summer to take my graduate school notes and loved the app as my brother suggested it since he uses it at work.

-- However, I just realized that if I wanted to print them I would have to copy and paste them onto word... I have over 80 separate notes I need to study from. :( Please update this.

• 2 months later...

Another user here - I also think the margins are pretty ridiculous... First - your margins automatically should be set to "standard" as they are in Word by default. You should then have an option to use narrow margins or custom margins. Also, you should have the option to print the note title or not (sometimes those titles are personal and you don't want those shared with whoever you're sharing the note with...) . If you check a checkbox to not print the note title the margins should automatically adjust to fill in the empty space, just like they would in Word - basically treat it as if the first line of the note were the every first line in the document - ignoring the 'note title'. 

• Level 5*

I agree with you, margins should be standard, and not too wide.

I don't have a need for printing my EN notes, but if I needed to, and I wanted word processing quality, I would copy the note to a Word Processing app.

Evernote is deficient in so many word processing features, not just margins. However I don't want to see it become a bloated product.  I'm satisfied to use it for simple note taking.

Have you considered keeping your complicated notes as an attached word processing document.

• 2 months later...

I have been asking for flexible margins for years. I love Evernote, but get frustrated every time I print and have wasted space and pages with no control over the content. At least give us a Page Break and smaller margins.

New addition: My company is "encouraging" us to use OneNote. Since I have over 2,000 Evernotes, I do not want to switch. My only frustration is this unacceptable printing.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, OscarSE said:

Switching to Dropbox Paper. Did not renew my Premium. You need margins to be able to write..

It seems like a good practice to use a more dedicated word processing program, and there's probably collaboration features.

I've always thought Evernote's strength was as a digital filing cabinet.
I would include a link to the Dropbox document in an Evernote note.
After completing the document, I would store it as an attachment to the note.

I don't think we should have to use a Word Processing program...

I'm taking notes in Evernote, i'm doing reports, i'm copying data, web pages, many things.

But when everything is in Evernote and I want to print a specific note, I don't have options to make a good print, just like i would like it to be .. that's silly ..  Evernote works well, only the print options are missing for years .. I don't need tricky options I could find in a Word Processing program, I just need to be able to print correctly from Evernote.. That's really simple and should be easy to do ..

It's silly from Evernote to make people complain about such a small feature where everything else is quite nice.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Fred V. said:

I don't think we should have to use a Word Processing program...

I understand.
There are similar postings from users who don't think they should have to use a Spreadsheet app.
But it's just a fact that dedicated function apps have better features that a generic information app.
Personally, I use the Notability app when I have to do serious note taking - it has a greater set of features.

Sorry but being able to define margins for printing doesn't seem to be the strangest feature for a generic information app which is mostly a notes app.

We are not asking for 3D render of notes or full support of 4K videos in Evernote. Just the ability to print the notes we have written with a very common option : margins. 

When we have a good app like Evernote we pay every year, I think it's normal to ask for more features.

It is obvious from all these posts that we want better print formatting. My company is pressing me to use MS OneNote, but I switched to Evernote years ago and I have over 2000 notes and use Evernote for everything. I rarely create Word documents. I love the program, but my only complaint is the lame printing. I would like to have narrower margins to reduce pages and a Page Break function would be great to control what is printed. I know you can do it if you want.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear Evernote, can you please tell us when this will be done? 

We know this is why you raised prices (To pay the engineers to fix this necessary and logical functionality that has yet to exist)

I would love to continue boasting how well my needs are met by this software, and this one should be a given.

• Level 5

I understand the frustration expressed in this thread. OTOH, though, Evernote (AFAIK) was never intended or promoted to be an all-purpose writing tool. It's for note-taking and information gathering, and is dedicated to that purpose. For writing up those notes into a report or article or whatever, there are (and should be) better tools, dedicated to that purpose. To me, complaining about EN's print formatting is a little like saying, "Confound this Swiss Army Knife and its atrociously bad hammer!" Just MHO.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Gratitudaholic said:

We know this is why you raised prices (To pay the engineers to fix this necessary and logical functionality that has yet to exist)

Thanks for clearing that up.  I thought it had something to do with the operating costs of running the service.

14 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I understand the frustration expressed in this thread. OTOH, though, Evernote (AFAIK) was never intended or promoted to be an all-purpose writing tool. It's for note-taking and information gathering, and is dedicated to that purpose. For writing up those notes into a report or article or whatever, there are (and should be) better tools, dedicated to that purpose. To me, complaining about EN's print formatting is a little like saying, "Confound this Swiss Army Knife and its atrociously bad hammer!" Just MHO.

When software enters the world of "feature creep" all perspectives are important. 

Good for you for not needing this particular feature, but obviously it has been deemed important to many over the years.  

I will not mock your satisfaction with it not existing, and still consider it a logical expectation to use the Evernote print button, to print my Evernote notes, as they appear on my Evernote screen.

• Level 5
1 minute ago, Gratitudaholic said:

When software enters the world of "feature creep" all perspectives are important. 

Good for you for not needing this particular feature, but obviously it has been deemed important to many over the years.  

I will not mock your satisfaction with it not existing, and still consider it a logical expectation to use the Evernote print button, to print my Evernote notes, as they appear on my Evernote screen.

Sorry if I seemed to be mocking, just trying to reframe or put in context. You have a point about feature creep; as EN has come to do more and more, people want it to do that more in the best way possible, i.e., like the tools dedicated to that "more." I'm not sure that's a reasonable expectation, in the end; but it's not hard to see how it naturally arises. In some ways, it's a matter of work philosophy: do I want one tool that does everything well; or do I want a set of tools, each of which does its own thing well? Evernote clearly generates a lot of "one tool" expectations. Perhaps such a tool should exist; but I'm skeptical that it can, and can do everything well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had Evernote Premium for over 2 years and my only disappointment is your terrible print/formatting features. Now that you are forcing everyone to buy Evernote Premium you need to add this critical basic feature. It is frustrating and unacceptable that we can't control any printing of our notes. I have over 2500 notes and use Evernote for everything. That minimizes the need for printing, but when I need to print something I hate that I have no control and end up with huge margins, broken images and more pages than I need. PLEASE READ ALL THE COMMENTS ON THIS FORUM AND FIX THIS ASAP!

1 minute ago, sdadell said:

I have had Evernote Premium for over 2 years and my only disappointment is your terrible print/formatting features. Now that you are forcing everyone to buy Evernote Premium you need to add this critical basic feature. It is frustrating and unacceptable that we can't control any printing of our notes. I have over 2500 notes and use Evernote for everything. That minimizes the need for printing, but when I need to print something I hate that I have no control and end up with huge margins, broken images and more pages than I need. PLEASE READ ALL THE COMMENTS ON THIS FORUM AND FIX THIS ASAP!

The fact that Evernote doesn't care about all super valuable customer feedback in this forum is just sad from so many perspective. 

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, sdadell said:

Now that you are forcing everyone to buy Evernote Premium you need to add this critical basic feature.

Can you explain why you think someone is "forcing everyone to buy Evernote Premium"

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, OscarSE said:

The fact that Evernote doesn't care about all super valuable customer feedback in this forum is just sad from so many perspective. 

What an asinine comment

DTLow Guru: You are right. Technically, Evernote is not forcing everyone to buy Evernote Premium, but when you take away features that people have to pay for to get back it seems like they should listen to all the feedback from loyal customers asking for a basic feature like controlling printing that would make this program truly great. After asking for this for two years it would seem justified to get some kind of response. 

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, sdadell said:

Better printing and control over formatting in general would be welcome in Evernote. The best place for making requests for feature improvements is usually the Product Feedback subforum for your particular client (Windows or Mac, in this case). That's not to say that this is being ignored, but putting requests in Product Feedback allow it to be voted on by other users, and maybe help Evernote prioritize it thereby (there are many feature requests of all different natures, across all of its clients, and everyone has their own ideas of what constitute 'critical basic features').

As a point of fact, though, no-one is being forced to buy Evernote Premium. Not sure why you claim this. But bug reports and feature requests are always welcome, from anyone.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, sdadell said:

Evernote is not forcing everyone to buy Evernote Premium, but when you take away features that people have to pay for to get back

Not sure what you are talking about here - the device limit?
I would think if this was an important feature to users, they would upgrade to the Plus tier

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, Melty1 said:

Right-click on the Note Panel (displayed note), then copy and paste to your desktop. Print your note from there and it will have its original margins.

Hi.  Is this a Windows or Mac solution?  I'm using Windows and if I simply right-click the note window I can't select Copy - it's greyed out.  Do you Ctrl+A (Cmd+A) Select All first?  You'd then have to save the content as a file to save it to the desktop.

If I right-click the note list,  I don't get the option to copy anything outside Evernote.

Could you give us a bit more detail please?

I have Windows 10 on both my laptops. I'm new to EN so I'll do my best to explain. Single-click on a note from the list on the left (not a double-click which opens the note in a separate window with a grayed-out Copy option). The single-click will display the note on the right. Right-click on the note, then Copy and Paste to your desktop or other location outside of EN to print. There's also the Save As option which works the same. This method works for pdf's and jpeg's. When selected, Word docs are opened with Word and can be printed from there without the huge margins. Again I'm new to this but it seems you can print notes with original margins only if you move them outside of Evernote.

• Level 5*

I know I don't print much from Evernote - documents for external consumption usually get developed and printed in other software and then saved to Evernote. 

It's my filing cabinet for research and copies (amongst other things...).  I may print a dozen pages a year,  as directions or some such...

• Level 5

Even though I have 40,000 notes and use Evernote every single day, I might have printed one or two pages in the past 12 months.

With the ease of transferring or copying information electronically, my printer is gathering dust.

I think the discussion is not how many notes people print every day.

Some people would just be happy to be able to have common features to print correctly their nice notes without copy/pasting or exporting to another tool.

Evernote is always adding features to make better notes, I would love if they just allowed me to change the margin size. Not a big request I think ..

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, sdadell said:

You are OK with 2 inch margins and limited print formatting. Do you print much?

I'm another user who rarely prints

I think we're all agreed that the print options for notes are limited and can be improved
However, they are notes - it's not like I'd use the editor for serious word processing

I have been asking for this for years, but it doesn't seem to be important to them. This would make Evernote perfect if we could have better print formatting. I get tired of people responding "It is just for notes taking. You don't need to print". That is missing the point of a great program that eliminates having to have separate files all over the place.

• Level 5
On 1/17/2017 at 11:09 AM, sdadell said:

I have been asking for this for years, but it doesn't seem to be important to them. This would make Evernote perfect if we could have better print formatting. I get tired of people responding "It is just for notes taking. You don't need to print". That is missing the point of a great program that eliminates having to have separate files all over the place.

What version of Evernote do you use? In the Windows program, on the File menu there is a Page Setup item that brings up a dialog where I can set margins that do then appear in printed output.

To heck with printing, I can't even adjust the margins for display in a note I just created. It's a bookmark from the Safari web clipper, and when I try to add text to the note, the right margin is very large, if not infinite. Lines of text don't wrap and I can't find any way to change this (Simplify Formatting doesn't help). Terrible! (Mac version 6.11b1) 

Hi still no option to print? Any news how can this be be, is there nothing you can do, so many programmer so much money you have earned over the past years with all these premium accounts and still not able to print?

...ok if i print it in A2 it will fit, but my text notes are not in realation with the pics of my notes. An auto fit would be very useful here. 

• 2 months later...

We have been asking for improved margins and printing for years, but it doesn't seem to be important to Evernote. Some of us love Evernote and use it for everything instead of Word and need to print some of our thousands of notes. Come on Evernote! Listen to your users!

They just won't listen - YES word etc are great for what they do WOED PROCESSING! 

BUT I want to be able to format my notes and print them out in a decent format 

ALSO

I want to be able to create card file printouts that do not waste 2/3rds of the card

Please Evernote listen to your users I am looking for a new app if I can find one that prints notes properly

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, David666 said:

I am looking for a new app if I can find one that prints notes properly

I heard that Word does a good job of printing.  I use Pages (Apple) for serious Word Processing work.

As a digital filing cabinet, Evernote is the best product I've found, but I don't see it as a serious printing tool

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This is really stupid though. I mean, others may want more, I just want Evernote to add to the Print Settings options for smaller margins (or in the preferences). The only option when printing is "Print Headers".

Sure, I CAN copy/paste in to Pages and print (or in my case, save as a PDF), but I shouldn't have to do that.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Jon123 said:

I CAN copy/paste in to Pages and print (or in my case, save as a PDF), but I shouldn't have to do that.

Possibly not,  but that's the current situation unless/ until Evernote add more options.  :(

• Level 5
4 hours ago, Jon123 said:

This is really stupid though. I mean, others may want more, I just want Evernote to add to the Print Settings options for smaller margins (or in the preferences). The only option when printing is "Print Headers".

Sure, I CAN copy/paste in to Pages and print (or in my case, save as a PDF), but I shouldn't have to do that.

It does seem like that would be pretty simple to program. What margins are you looking for? When I print (just to test; I don't generally print from EN), I get left/right/bottom margins of 1/2 inch (1.4 cm) and a top margin of 3/4 inch (1.8 cm). That's already fairly small.

• 5 months later...

I hate this problem, too - but I just found a workaround for my particular issue, which is that the margins are too SMALL when I print from my iMac.

So I just printed the same Evernotes recipe note from the iMac (1/4 inch margins) and printed the same note from my phone (I have the Evernotes for iPhone app) and printing from the phone I got 1/2 inch margins, which is sufficient for me.

Marc

On 2/28/2018 at 1:30 PM, MarcJ said:

I hate this problem, too - but I just found a workaround for my particular issue, which is that the margins are too SMALL when I print from my iMac.

So I just printed the same Evernotes recipe note from the iMac (1/4 inch margins) and printed the same note from my phone (I have the Evernotes for iPhone app) and printing from the phone I got 1/2 inch margins, which is sufficient for me.

Marc

How are your margins too small? I would love 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch margins, but every page I print has 2 inch margins. Let me know how you are printing with small margins.

On 1/11/2017 at 10:39 PM, JohnLongney said:

I cannot at this time understand complaints about margin settings for printing. Use page setup and you are done with. 

You must not be on a Mac. We do not have any page setup or print adjustment options. I get 2 inch margins which is ridiculous.

its not a mac thing print formatting sucks and really lets down event and it cannot be that difficult for god's sake!

I really dont want to store docs and use word just to get decent print formatting.

This is a great product but the attitude of the developers means I am looking for another product

Archived