(Archived) What causes a note to become corrupt?

Today I made a notebook for me and my wife to use for grocery shopping. We make a note inside the notebook, sync it up in the evernote app in both our phones.  So far so good. I go shopping and start checking off the items as I am shopping, the wife then adds a few items to the note. All of a sudden I have three notes in the notebook, two of them have the header, Note Corrupt.

What causes a note to become corrupt?  I tried to delete these two corrupt notes and could not do that.  

The first corrupt note had the changes I made to the note and the second corrupt note had the changes my wife made to the note. The original note did not change at all.

Is this a sync error?  Very frustrating, made the whole shared note a waste of time, we would have been better off sending text messages.

• Level 5*

Today I made a notebook for me and my wife to use for grocery shopping. We make a note inside the notebook, sync it up in the evernote app in both our phones.  So far so good. I go shopping and start checking off the items as I am shopping, the wife then adds a few items to the note. All of a sudden I have three notes in the notebook, two of them have the header, Note Corrupt.

What causes a note to become corrupt?  I tried to delete these two corrupt notes and could not do that.  

The first corrupt note had the changes I made to the note and the second corrupt note had the changes my wife made to the note. The original note did not change at all.

Is this a sync error?  Very frustrating, made the whole shared note a waste of time, we would have been better off sending text messages.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Note corrupt? I don't remember ever seeing that over the last five years of using Evernote. I could be wrong, of course, but it sounds very odd to me. Did you mean to say that there were conflicting modifications?

If so, that is something that happens when an old version of a note is modified, and this kind of conflict can occur when multiple people are editing a note at once. Evernote doesn't sync immediately, but once every few minutes (unless you force it to sync), so there can be gaps. Usually, with Evernote on iOS the conflicting modifications are appended to the original note and there is no particular warning. I've had a bunch of conflicts lately, but all on the Mac. Maybe something has changed in the iOS app. Are you using Android, iOS, Windows, or Blackberry?

Like GM, I don't recall seeing a message about a note being corrupt.  But the way you're using EN is definitely a recipe for disaster.  Evernote is not a (good) collaboration tool meaning it's not designed to allow multiple users to modify the same note simultaneously.  Please read this post:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/20092-not-very-happy-right-now/?p=101095

Furthermore, even most apps that are dedicated task lists (RTM, Toodledo) are going to need to be sync'd on your phone (if she's adding items from her phone).  IOW, you can mark things off the list from your phone & your wife can add things from her phone.  But you're going to have to regularly sync to see if she added any new things, unless there is a task list app that will auto push any changes to each device. 

Archived