Feedback for Mac Evernote Version 5.4.2 (402146) (October 24 Release)

GrumpyMonkey

Idea

• Level 5*

(1) Lethargic

- Everything is slow now that I have begun putting attachments into my account. Previously, I was just having trouble with large notes full of text, but now even tiny notes with small attachments are taking a long while to display.

- It is inconsistently slow, though. This morning, when I opened the app, it was intolerable. Now, it seems to be working OK, though not great. I am running a new Macbook Air with Mavericks.

(2) Invisible notes

- For some notes with attachments, I have to begin scrolling before the content will appear. This makes it difficult to browse through notes.

(3) Invisible cursor

- For a while, the cursor won't appear in some new notes. I can type and do everything OK, but I have to guess where the cursor is when I try to move around the note. This makes editing new notes quite challenging.

(4) Selective sync

- Are we there yet?

62 replies to this idea

As an update to my earlier posts (#19 and #23):

Reinstalling (v5.4.2, build 402146) resolved---more or less---the long processing times. I say "more or less" because it's still not as fast as previous versions, but some of these documents are merges that include PDFs, so...might be a shared problem between EN and the notes sizes themselves.

Reinstalling did not, however, resolve the disappearing text problem. This is still occurring: 

http://youtu.be/Wx8B4mY9FKI

Today, a different EN support person had me trash/re-download/reinstall the app (again), in hopes of fixing the text, but I'm doubtful. If that was the solution, well...would have worked last time.

Like others, I'm beginning to lose confidence in EN updates. Too bad---never used to hesitate when a new version came down the pike, but lately, it seems one needs a life preserver before jumping in the water.

Hello Evernote Team,

I am a huge fan of your product. I am a law student and find Evernote very helpful for taking class notes and managing school organization projects. As I prepare for finals, I realize that one feature that would be extremely helpful in a future update would be and outlining function. I know there are bullets and numbering tools, but this doesn't quite meet the needs of a law school outline. Law students need something that helps automatically format the note into sections and subsections in uniques styles and headings. I often end up exporting my notes back to Word so that I can use the outlining function there to finalize my outlines, but I would so much prefer to keep everything together in Evernote. I think you have a truly amazing product, and the addition of an outline feature would make my day!

Thank you Evernote Team for all your hard work!

smz1230

• Level 5*

(5) Slow Search

- Sometimes (actually, a lot of times) I put something in the search field and nothing happens. There is no processing, no connecting, no syncing in the background. It is just stuck. Then, suddenly, 30 seconds or a minute later (long after I have given up and moved to the web to try and find the note), the app springs into action.

- I am guessing this is the price I am paying for my large database of text-dense notes.

• Level 5*

Just as an FYI to everyone, Mavericks has introduced a fair bit of issues. Please post if you see any peculiar behaviors after upgrading to Mavericks.

Jack!  You left out the BEST part:

. . . Mavericks has introduced a fair bit of issues. We're working on resolving them and will talk with QA about hammering on full-screen mode.

We (at least me) always like to hear when you acknowledge issues and are "working on resolving them"!!!

Thanks!

In another thread I have commented on the issue of Pages files being saved as ZIP files.  

I just tried to drop a pages file in the web version - it failed.  If this is a Maverick issue why does the web-version fail?  Or is this a clue to what is going on here.

I am not trying to diagnose the problem - just would love to see it fixed.

• Level 5

This is not Mavericks related. This is related to specific versions of iWork. They are saving their files as zip files by default now. It just means we have to support their new file format. We're working on it :)

How long have Mac App Store approvals been taking? I just ran into the PDF annotation issue with 5.4.1 and came here looking. Turns out I'm 2 weeks behind on an update (which was not uncommon in the past) because it hasn't gone to the MAS yet. If it will be a while still before I get my update, I may uninstall and download the newest straight from y'all. If not, I may pull this one more urgent PDF out and annotate it in Skitch, and not worry about it.

With Mavericks' release, I imagine everything is backed up. If you'd always like to stay updated, I'd recommend getting Evernote from our website.

Alright, I updated through your website. I'll do that from now on.

The inability to see note annotations problem was fixed with this newest version, but I still can't save PDF annotations.

• Level 5*

I strongly recommend upgrading and accepting the changes (the ones you like and the ones you don't). Of course, I encourage you to grouse about it and try to convince the developers to incorporate your ideas into the app (that's what I do), with the understanding, of course, that they might simply disagree (for whatever reason) and it is ultimately their decision which direction they decide to go. Working with older, unsupported versions of the app may be more comfortable in the short term, but in the long term, I think it isn't so good for you or the app.

. . .

GM, I have to take exception to your "strong recommendation".  :-)

My main complaint (I don't "grouse", sounds too much like "whine") is the many serious BUGS the EVERY new version introduces.  I understand all software will have some bugs, but they can and should be, IMO, small, minimal impact, bugs in areas/paths of the software rarely used.

After BUGS, if an update REMOVES features critical to my daily workflow, I am NOT going to update.

I has almost been one year since EN Mac was upgraded from Ver 3.3.0 to Ver 5.0, and now 5.4.2.  I am still using Ver 3.3.0 on Mac Mt. Lion without any problems, and I MUCH PREFER Ver 3 UI to that of Ver 5 (as do many, many others).

So, thank you very much, but NO, I will NOT be so foolish as to automatically update to every new version.  BTW, this applies not only to Evernote, but ALL software I use.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, NOTICE TO EVERNOTE DEVELOPERS:

I wonder if the Evernote Design Team understands that, for many of us, Evernote has become much more than a helpful utility -- it is now on the critical path to our daily work.  I think if they did, they would do a MUCH better job of TESTING PRIOR to a release, and never drop a feature without first making an extensive survey of their existing customers.

• Level 5*

As an update to my earlier posts (#19 and #23):

Reinstalling (v5.4.2, build 402146) resolved---more or less---the long processing times. I say "more or less" because it's still not as fast as previous versions, but some of these documents are merges that include PDFs, so...might be a shared problem between EN and the notes sizes themselves.

Reinstalling did not, however, resolve the disappearing text problem.

Today, a different EN support person had me trash/re-download/reinstall the app (again), in hopes of fixing the text, but I'm doubtful. If that was the solution, well...would have worked last time.

Like others, I'm beginning to lose confidence in EN updates. Too bad---never used to hesitate when a new version came down the pike, but lately, it seems one needs a life preserver before jumping in the water.

I have the disappearing text problem every day, so I doubt a reinstall will help. I also have lots of processing -- when that occurs I have to walk away, switch to using the iPad (sometimes producing note conflicts), or open up another app to get work done. It is impossible to navigate the app during processing, and there is a lag of two or three sentences when typing. I am not sure why the processing happens. Sometimes it is only a PDF or two that triggers it.

Overall, the app is very slow, and I have taken to forcing it to quit and restarting in the hope of getting it to stop whatever it is doing behind the scenes (if anything). I have reported the slowness for months (?), but I should stress that this is my anecdotal experience and plenty of people on the forums report the app as quite snappy. I think depends a lot on what's in your account. A lot of text (in my case) can cause trouble.

I don't think this is an EN update problem. I generally find them to be steady improvements. However, it is a work in progress, and there is more work to be done.

• Level 5

In my defense, though, the processing time is something that many users have mentioned. It seems that the more notes you have, and the more content you have in them, the more time it takes to do basic operations like changing tag names or notebook names. Don't you see a few hours of processing time if you change a batch of notes from one notebook to another, or change a tag name?

Thought I'd put in a datapoint before upgrading from 542 to 543. But no. I renamed a notebook with 800 notes and it was 1'58" and another notebook with 2200 notes and it took 7 minutes.

This on a mid 2010 imac with a pokey slow (launching Safari takes a full 30 seconds) hard drive running Mavericks. Nothing seems to take hours of processing in Evernote. Everything seems pretty zippy.

And PDF annotations showed up right away and stayed without issues.

True, that Pages and PDF docs showed inline but not .docx

• Level 5*

In my defense, though, the processing time is something that many users have mentioned. It seems that the more notes you have, and the more content you have in them, the more time it takes to do basic operations like changing tag names or notebook names. Don't you see a few hours of processing time if you change a batch of notes from one notebook to another, or change a tag name?

Thought I'd put in a datapoint before upgrading from 542 to 543. But no. I renamed a notebook with 800 notes and it was 1'58" and another notebook with 2200 notes and it took 7 minutes.This on a mid 2010 imac with a pokey slow (launching Safari takes a full 30 seconds) hard drive running Mavericks. Nothing seems to take hours of processing in Evernote. Everything seems pretty zippy.And PDF annotations showed up right away and stayed without issues.True, that Pages and PDF docs showed inline but not .docx

That would be awesome. Then, it really is just me with this issue... Well, I can't get any newer than what I'm running, so it must be the content in my account that is to blame. 99% is just text, though it is a lot of text, to be sure.

We hope to fix the disappearing text problem with our next release. 

That would be great, Jackolicious. Is there an ETA? 

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/46984-evernote-for-mac-543/

Jackolicious: There's no mention of a fix for the disappearing text in the above-linked update announcement. Is it in this "next release?"

I'm holding off on updating for the time being. Want to hear the current bugs (disappearing text and slow processing times) are rectified before adding new problems (sorry, but it seems each update comes with a few).

:::bummed:::

Update:

My support ticket was forwarded to Level 2, who had me download 5.4.2 (402146) from the website, in hopes that would resolve the invisible / whited out text.

No luck. Only less than two minutes for the first invisible text to appear. Faster than before, which is a performance "improvement" going the wrong direction.

They also suggested upgrading from Mountain Lion to 10.9, but given the fact a couple of my must-have legacy apps are still working on Mavericks-compatible updates, well...not an option (nor a solution, based on Mavericks users here who still experience the invisible text problem).

We are on 5.4.3 on Evernote.com. Give that a shot. 

Go figure. The email from Max (Level 2) said the download would be 5.4.2 (402146), but I see from the app it's actually 5.4.3 (402231). So yes, that's what I installed earlier today.

And sadly, no, it didn't resolve the issue. Am still getting "whiteouts" in multiple notes--more frequently than before, in fact.

Heard back from Level 2 Support regarding invisible/disappearing text.

After reviewing my screen shots, screen recording, and error log, they've determined this absolutely is a bug in EN (not unique to the computer or user). They've filed an "internal bug report" with the QA team lead, who (and I'm quoting here) "will classify and fix the bugs in the order determined by the project Lead."

I don't know how the Project Lead determines what gets higher priority, but my strong suggestion to everyone experiencing this bug is to please, please file a Support ticket. The more voices they hear asking for help, well...one has to think that lends weight to the decision.

The disappearing text problem got worse with 5.4.3 (402231). Definitely moving in the wrong direction. Drats.

You are better off than I am!  Mine has hung "copying notes" during the upgrade.  At least I assume it has hung.  It has been approximately 12 hours, and that seems a little long for "copying notes".  I have no idea what to do with it now.  If I force quit, will I lose some or all of my notes?

• Level 5*

You are better off than I am!  Mine has hung "copying notes" during the upgrade.  At least I assume it has hung.  It has been approximately 12 hours, and that seems a little long for "copying notes".  I have no idea what to do with it now.  If I force quit, will I lose some or all of my notes?

Good question. I wish I had the answer. I am currently in the midst of processing. I stupidly thought it would be a good idea to move some notes to another notebook and hours later I am still "processing." I have a plane to catch soon. The problem is that if I open Evernote on the trip (that was the original plan) it will wipe out my battery, and I really can't use it anyhow if it is processing (the lag is pretty bad).

Well, my thought is that Evernote typically does its work in batches, so forcing it to quit probably won't cause any problems, but I am a little more daring with such things because I have plenty of backups. If you don't have backups, I'd hold off on the force quit.

• Level 5*

Very disappointing.  When oh when will Evernote do proper testing internally before they release an update????

I'm going to re-post a statement I made in another thread, because it is much more appropriate here:

I wonder if the Evernote Design Team understands that, for many of us, Evernote has become much more than a helpful utility -- it is now on the critical path to our daily work.  I think if they did, they would do a MUCH better job of TESTING PRIOR to a release, and never drop a feature without first making an extensive survey of their existing customers.

I am STILL on EN Mac V3 because it seems that EVERY update of V5 brings a NEW set of serious bugs. (there was no V4).

Evernote Development Team -- what don't you do something really radical that will set you apart from all the other software developers -- make your next update be ONLY to FIX BUGS, and test the hell out of hit before you release it.  :-)

• Level 5*

Can anyone confirm that Ver 5.4.2 fixes the below bugs with Ver 5.4.1 when running Mavericks OS?

I've been experiencing the following problems using Evernote 5.4.1 (App store version) after upgrading to Mac OS Mavericks. These problems are identical on both my iMac and Macbook Pro.

Problems:

• General slowdown when accessing notes and notebooks.
  • Newly added Microsoft Office docs not viewing inline (previously added docs are fine).
  • When annotating PDFs the annotations are not showing until the note is closed and reopened.

One MAJOR issue for me is that my note counts aren't displaying next to my tag list.  This is an absolute productivity-killer for me.  Not happy at all right now.

Hope I'm not being over-simplistic, but it sounds like you need to go to your View menu and choose Sidebar Options > Show Note Counts.

Perhaps this option got deselected when you did the upgrade.

If this is not the case I apologise for the suggestion.

• Level 5*

I'm running the latest direct download version on Mavericks without any issues at all.

With the greatest of respect to the Grumpster, his use case is significantly different to I'm guessing the vast majority of Evernote users (many very large text documents).

This seems to have an impact on the service as a whole and pretty much all the native clients.

Judging how Evernote is going to work for you based only on Grumpy's experience probably means you are never going to use it at all.

• Level 5*

I'm running the latest direct download version on Mavericks without any issues at all.

With the greatest of respect to the Grumpster, his use case is significantly different to I'm guessing the vast majority of Evernote users (many very large text documents).

This seems to have an impact on the service as a whole and pretty much all the native clients.

Judging how Evernote is going to work for you based only on Grumpy's experience probably means you are never going to use it at all.

Hahaha. Maybe so Metro! It's good to get lots of voices in here, because it is definitely true that I have a different sort of account than others, and I have reported the lag on my machine for past versions (a year or more now). I wouldn't be surprised if I am holding it wrong, so-to-speak. I have a few accounts, and I will run through them to see if you are correct. It may simply be that my main account with all of the large text files is the culprit.

• Level 5*

I rarely do that kind of processing.

I'm sure there is degradation in performance as number of notes and tags increase but I think your large plain text files are pretty exceptional.  I do have notes that include largish attachments (30+mb) that I am able to tag and move without a noticeable lag, but I am also selective about what I store in Evernote so my overall note count is under 3k.

I don't buy into "remember everything", most things in my world are only valuable for a certain time period and so they can be removed as I go along. There are also lots of things that I don't keep in Evernote because there are better alternative options, I don't buy into trying to use one app to do everything.

One MAJOR issue for me is that my note counts aren't displaying next to my tag list.  This is an absolute productivity-killer for me.  Not happy at all right now.

Hope I'm not being over-simplistic, but it sounds like you need to go to your View menu and choose Sidebar Options > Show Note Counts.

Perhaps this option got deselected when you did the upgrade.

If this is not the case I apologise for the suggestion.

:lol:

Yup.  Whoops.  Not over-simplistic.  Here's the thing, though I searched FOREVER to find out if this was just some option that had turned off and couldn't find anything about it anywhere.

Thank you for your help.

You're welcome, cdavidw.

I never understood the designers' urge to turn off note counts when EN version 5 first came along. Some kind of top-down post-modernist plot to dilute any expectation of intelligence amongst users, and then complicate their lives by burying the option to restore the note counts in a deconstructed menu item especially designed to further cripple our attention span.

There were rumors flying around when note counts initially disappeared COMPLETELY from view, and during the subsequent MONTHS OF PLEADING for their restoration, that those upstart top-down post-modernist stinkers were going to call EN version 6 Nevernote.

Fortunately for us, those in the forums with long enough memories will recall that that was the moment when the Elephant put his foot down.

Since the 5.4.2 upgrade as well as upgrading to Mavericks, I am no longer able to copy and paste in the same manner that I used to.

In the past, I could copy text that went beyond an Evernote window by pressing Command+C and using the trackpad to scroll up simultaneously.

Yet now, I am restrained to the top of the Evernote window, even though there is text beyond the top of the window.

I've had to downgrade to Version 3.2.0 in order to copy and paste large portions of text that may go beyond the Evernote window

It's not pretty, but Version 3.2.0 is the only version that I've found to be able to copy and paste as I used to and so desire.

It's simply too inconvenient to copy only sections of text at a time.

I should note however, that this is not an issue on the Evernote web extension, but still, it is much more desirable and convenient to use the actual Mac application than the web app.

I hope this issue is resolved as soon as possible.

Thank you.

I have to agree with @JMichael. I have been using Evernote as a critical part of my daily workflow since 2005 because of its ease of use, reliability and essentially problem free syncing and integration across all my devices. It never occurred to me there would come a day that I would seriously consider dumping a product I've raved about for almost 9 years. After this last update typing or editing notes on my iPhone has become impossible - I mean I'm currently unable to type a single word - the cursor jumps all over the screen and repeatedly invokes the search bar. Editing, selecting, copying and pasting, etc. randomly selects and deleted text which then instantly syncs the errors so I don't dare edit on any mobile devices until bugs are fixed. I hope they work this out soon or may have to go back to steno pads and binders. Really, really frustrating coming from a development team that has consistently made my life easier for the better part of a decade...until today.

• Level 5*

Since upgrading I have been unable to use 5.4.1 or 5.4.2. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. Whenever I open Evernote it bounces in the dock as usual but nothing opens. There is no homescreen, no notebooks, no nothing. :(

You should open a support case.

+1

Like our beloved Grumpster, I have also suffered loooooooooonnnnnnng processing times, some of which ran upward of 4-5 minutes for merged notes that included only two or three PDFs (single page each). Other times, merging text-only documents might process for a few seconds...or several minutes. No pattern other than pain and agony.

EN Support had me completely uninstall the application from my Mac, trash it, direct download the most recent version, then re-install. That seems to have solved the processing time problem, but the disappearing note content issue persists (see #2 in her original post, plus the link posted in GM's comment #18, above). The text doesn't disappear---it turns white, making it seem to have disappeared (think: invisible ink). 

Using "Select All" or selecting the text via the cursor seems to bring the text back to life (i.e., turns it black / legible again). 

Definitely need a solution for that one.

• Level 5*

I just installed EN Mac 3.3.0 on my new MacBook Pro Retnia Quad-core, 2.7/3.8 GHz monster, and it is blazingly fast!

I'm staying with EN Mac V3 until I see a successful V5.  This is sooooooooo sad, and disappointing.

I'm not experiencing any  of the difficulties other people have mentioned with this update.

But there still remains the long-standing problem of eternal connecting when EN first starts up.

With this update I sometimes had to restart the app 2 and 3 times before the connecting sequence completed.

I then found a workaround that solves the problem, which is to hit the sync button while that everlasting connecting sequence hangs, and then EN reconnects and completes the action ok.

But surely we shouldn't have to keep experiencing this issue with every other update?

A : Agree with OP: "(3) Invisible cursor

- For a while, the cursor won't appear in some new notes. I can type and do everything OK, but I have to guess where the cursor is when I try to move around the note. This makes editing (new) notes quite challenging." Has this problem been solved yet?

B : I use Evernote for Mac (OS 10.9 Mavericks) version 5.4.1 but read in this thread about version 5.4.2 - which I cannot find nor is it offered to me as an update. My stupidity or..?

B : I use Evernote for Mac (OS 10.9 Mavericks) version 5.4.1 but read in this thread about version 5.4.2 - which I cannot find nor is it offered to me as an update. My stupidity or..?

Here's the link Support sent me (used it to reinstall, as noted earlier in this thread):

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/get.php?file=EvernoteMac

File name will be: Evernote_402146.dmg

(And no, you're not stupid.)  :)

• Level 5*

Here's the link Support sent me (used it to reinstall, as noted earlier in this thread):

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/get.php?file=EvernoteMac

File name will be: Evernote_402146.dmg

(And no, you're not stupid.)  :)

A good link to know about. Thanks!

Where can I find an older version of EN? Would falling back to an older version damage anything?

megcolby, if you Google "Evernote_400704" a number of sites will appear that offer downloads of the previous version. That said, use these sites at your own risk---it doesn't appear EN provides an archive of past builds (sad, but true). 

BE SURE TO BACKUP ALL YOUR FILES FIRST (sorry if that came across as screaming...not the intent...just know how valuable documents are, especially after they've unexpectedly disappeared).

Years ago, I got in the habit of saving all software downloads (first time + updates) to a Dropbox folder titled "Software." No matter what happens, I have an archive of prior builds...just...in...case. For example:

2qvkI.jpg

It's a great habit to get into, and a real Godsend if/when things suddenly go south--especially if you have multiple computers running on different operating systems.

Hope that helps.... 

• Level 5

I would not recommend moving to an older version of Evernote. We design sync to be backwards compatible but we don't design our apps to be compatible with old local databases. Using an old app is very much an "at your own risk" sort of thing. 

• Level 5*

. . . we don't design our apps to be compatible with old local databases.

Jack, I'm not sure I understand this statement.  Are you saying that, for example, if I am running EN Mac 3.3.0 with LOCAL Notebooks, that IF I upgrade to EN Mac 5.x, that the NEW version will NOT be able to convert my LOCAL Notebooks to V5 format?

• Level 5

No, I'm not saying that at all.

I'm saying that as you upgrade your client, your local database (not just local notebooks) are upgraded to support new data-level features like type ahead search and reminders. Using the same new local database with an older client that doesn't know how to handle these features could result in erratic behavior at best and data loss in the worst cases. 

Scenarios:

1. V3 user with local notebooks upgrades to v5. You're in the clear. This is expected behavior.

2. V5 user clears all local data and downloads v3. You *should be* in the clear. This is not supported.

3. V5 user downloads V3 on a second machine and uses the same account. You *should be* in the clear. This is not supported.

4. V5 user decides to downgrade, doesn't wipe their local database and downloads V3 over V5 the same machine. Expect erratic behavior, potential data loss. Not recommended/supported.

• Level 5*

I'm saying that as you upgrade your client, your local database (not just local notebooks) are upgraded to support new data-level features like type ahead search and reminders. Using the same new local database with an older client that doesn't know how to handle these features could result in erratic behavior at best and data loss in the worst cases. 

Scenarios:

1. V3 user with local notebooks upgrades to v5. You're in the clear. This is expected behavior.

2. V5 user clears all local data and downloads v3. You *should be* in the clear. This is not supported.

3. V5 user downloads V3 on a second machine and uses the same account. You *should be* in the clear. This is not supported.

4. V5 user decides to downgrade, doesn't wipe their local database and downloads V3 over V5 the same machine. Expect erratic behavior, potential data loss. Not recommended/supported.

I would like to add that it is always a good idea to have regular time machine backups (mine are hourly in most cases, but sometimes daily if I am out and about) and to occasionally export your database as an .enex file, especially before an upgrade. That said, anything made after the upgrade (as you said) incorporates new data that may or may not be compatible with older versions.

As a note for other users (not directed at Jackolicious) I strongly recommend upgrading and accepting the changes (the ones you like and the ones you don't). Of course, I encourage you to grouse about it and try to convince the developers to incorporate your ideas into the app (that's what I do), with the understanding, of course, that they might simply disagree (for whatever reason) and it is ultimately their decision which direction they decide to go. Working with older, unsupported versions of the app may be more comfortable in the short term, but in the long term, I think it isn't so good for you or the app. What I mean by this is that I would prefer to hear everyone loudly complaining about the current app and helping to get the changes included in the next update rather than being shut out of the improvement process because you are working with older (and no longer relevant) versions of the app.

For example, if you want the left sidebar to do more of the work that the old app did, I'd like to see everyone in the beta and feedback threads arguing for this -- holding onto old versions to access this functionality is a statement, but not nearly as effective, in my opinion. By the way, I have no strong feelings about the left sidebar. I am just using it as an example of something that users sometimes factor into downgrade decisions.

• Level 5*

. . .

OK, that makes sense.  Thanks for clarifying.

Archived