Scan to Evernote failed from ScanSnap ix500

DavidD

There was an auto update of ScanSnap software done today and now when I try and scan to EN, I get a "Failed to start up Evernote" message. EN is running and updated. I am using OS X 10.9 (Mavericks). Would anyone have any thoughts about how to resolve this?

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with an s1300i.  Restarting the computer didn't work.  I had the latest versions of both ScanSnap Manager and Evernote.  ScanSnap support had me uninstall and reinstall Evernote.  That solved the problem.

I'm having this problem too, starting in the last few weeks -- not sure if it was the update to Snapscan (ix500), Evernote, or Mavericks that did it. But if Evernote is open, and I scan something to Evernote, I get the error:

"Failed to start up Evernote for Mac. Make sure that the selected application is installed correctly."

This happens when Evernote is already open.

If I close Evernote and then try again without Evernote running, it works -- starts up Evernote and imports the doc fine. But when I'm trying to scan in a pile of documents, having to close Evernote every single time before I scan is not a workable solution.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote. Anyone find a solution? Thanks.

I am also having an issue similar to this one: I recently upgraded to OSX 10.9, so I suspect its related to this?

Here are my versions:

- OSX 10.9

- ScanSnap Manager v3.2 L63

- A ScanSnap S1300i

- Evernote v5.4.3 (402231)

When I attempt to use the ScanSnap 'Scan to document (jpg)' feature the following message appears on screen: "Scan to Evernote (Note)  Failed to start up Evernote for Mac.  Make sure that the selected application is installed correctly".

I tried reinstalling ScanSnap: same error.

I notice that if Evernote is not running, this feature works! But the above error message always appears if Evernote is already running. Its uber-annoying to quit evernote every time I scan a document.

Any thoughts?

At this point I'm just scanning to a folder and manually importing...

Have you tried adding Evernote as a new application?

- From ScanSnap Manager

- Customize

- Application

- Add or Remove...  OR Application Settings... if using Quick Menu

- Browse for Evernote in your Applications directory

That solved it for me, though I'm not sure if you can have two options jpg/pdf.

I just scan directly to Evernote, and have chosen PDF as the file format.

Similar problem here.  I get the error: "Failed to start up Evernote for Mac. Make sure that the selected application is installed correctly."  (Even though it does open Evernote if it's closed.  And still get this error even if it's already open.) But also the note seems to be sorta half imported into Evernote.  I can see the thumbnail of what I scanned (even from other computers/phones), but the actual note itself is blank.  It also gets the title "Untitled Note" instead of the usual timestamp of the scanning.  Since I can't read the thumbnail (obviously), my scans are useless.

I've tried restarting my Mac, tried closing and reopening scansnap and Evernote, tried uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote.  Tried the "online update" of Scansnap.  Nothing has worked.  This started for me on November 17, 2013.

I'm running OSX 10.6.8, and have the latest versions of Evernote (5.4.3) and Scansnap 3.2 L63.

Would LOVE  a solution.

Hi all,

I tried Dean's suggestion but wasn't able to get far. When I open 'Settings...' in the ScanSnap Manager and select 'Customize' from the settings window, I am presented with several tabs ('Application' among them). But 'Application' is grayed out, so I can't add/remove Evernote.

I tried running the SupportTool and resetting permissions and application settings. Same problem.

---

BUT!

When I deleted Evernote from my Applications folder, and then reinstalled evernote using the App Store, it worked!

Thanks everybody!

Dane

I upgraded my OS to Mavericks (nice that the OS upgrade is free now) and the problem went away for me.

I don't think Dean's suggestion to add Evernote to the applications list is the fix (though I'm not certain).  I think you still want the scanner to fire up Scan to Evernote (Document).  That app grabs the image file that you just scanned and moves it to Evernote for you.

Thanks to all for this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded my OS to Mavericks (nice that the OS upgrade is free now) and the problem went away for me.

I don't think Dean's suggestion to add Evernote to the applications list is the fix (though I'm not certain).  I think you still want the scanner to fire up Scan to Evernote (Document).  That app grabs the image file that you just scanned and moves it to Evernote for you.

Thanks to all for this thread.

Update on my previous post: It seemed to be working after my upgrade to Mavericks, but now I'm stuck with the same problem the others are reporting.  Have to close evernote every time to get it to work.  This ruins the best feature of the scansnap solution, which was to be able to scan and walk away without touching the computer and know that my document was in evernote.    Please, please fix!!

Same problem and raised issue with Evernote. Response below. Maybe if more of us complain it will be pushed up the list?

Nov 14 07:13 (PST)

Thanks for reaching out to Evernote Technical Support. I have been asked to asset with your case.

Sorry to see you are having issues with the scanner after the update. It appears there is currently a bug causing this.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have filed an internal bug report with the QA team lead. She will classify and fix the bugs in the order determined by the project Lead.

Unfortunately this is not something I can fix for you at this time. Please feel free to reach back if you would like an update.

There are also to forum posts about the issue, you may want to follow these well.

I bought my ScanSnap ix500 about 10 days ago and joined Evernote as a Premium user.  I have exactly the same problem everyone else is experiencing.  Evernote has stopped trying to trouble shoot my (our) issue and has referred me to ScanSnap.  They opened a Level 3 inquiry and have promised a response by tomorrow.  Since this is there highest level of Technical Assistance I hope it works, because the scanner is going back to ScanSnap on Friday if there is no fix.  Unbelievable really.

I bought my ScanSnap ix500 about 10 days ago and joined Evernote as a Premium user.  I have exactly the same problem everyone else is experiencing.  Evernote has stopped trying to trouble shoot my (our) issue and has referred me to ScanSnap.  They opened a Level 3 inquiry and have promised a response by tomorrow.  Since this is there highest level of Technical Assistance I hope it works, because the scanner is going back to ScanSnap on Friday if there is no fix.  Unbelievable really.

how do you contact anyone at evernote?  They have failed to send me their order and every attempt to find contact information has failed. More than angry.

Wow, since I started using Evernote a few years ago I always felt they were top-notch.

But after seeing this bug last for so long and reading your reports of how customer support has been treating you, I'm starting to change my mind.

By the way, I am also a premium user and I tried to open a support request with Evernote around 1-2 weeks ago. All I got was a reply saying "We are busier than usual, we will answer you when possible" and nothing else until now.

For a premium user this is a really bad service (since they mention top priority for premium user's requests).

Also you mentioned that they say the problem is from Fujitsu. I am not so sure. Some people here wrote that after downgrading Evernote, everything was working fine again.

One thing that comes to mind is that now that they have their own Evernote Fujitsu Scanner version, they are "closing their eyes" to the problems with the ix500.

Evernote should at least acknowledge the bug, give us good feedback and a time estimation for a fix.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same problem with a ScanSnap S1300i - works fine if I quit Evernote before scanning, then the app opens up with the scanned note (PDF or JPG).

@Astralbodies fix works great (THANKS!) but you should be aware that you are doing things on the command line as an administrator so be careful if you don't understand the commands.

As for Evernote caring or prioritizing a fix, don't hold your breath. I understand that they have a large variety of users but they have shown time and time again that they ignore user issues. and feature requests even premium users.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Mine was doing the same but I just fixed it.

Right click Evernote

Click Restore previous versions

Click Compatibility

If the box is ticked for Run this program in compatibilty mode "*********" then untick it.

It worked for me, hope this helps. It was trying to run in compatibilty mode for service pack 3 (I'm on Windows 7).

Archived