O2 invades my Premium evernote account with offers

I am beside myself with rage.

How does Evernote DARE to collaborate with O2, my mobile supplier, in letting them place offers in MY evernote account.

I VERY VERY VERY VERY much hope evernote can tell me that I can stop these offers RUINING my evernote experience.

Thanks for nothing. 

• Level 5*

I am beside myself with rage.

How does Evernote DARE to collaborate with O2, my mobile supplier, in letting them place offers in MY evernote account.

I VERY VERY VERY VERY much hope evernote can tell me that I can stop these offers RUINING my evernote experience.

Thanks for nothing.

Hi. I doubt it is invading your account. Perhaps you are speaking about the interface (on some clients) that displays ads in the lower left-hand corner. The ads are preselected and unassociated with you or your data. If you upgrade to Premium, you can hide the ads.
  • Level 5

EN has agreements with various companies. They place ads / promotions automatically in free accounts (left panel). They have nothing do to do with your personal account or your notes.

As GM said, PREMIUM accounts can untick (hide) the ads.

Wern

• 3 weeks later...

Actually the OP is complaining about the offers from O2 appearing even when you have a premium account. I'm also getting these o2 ads - I can see one right now in my iPad Evernote app. This is nothing to do with the normal ads in the bottom left corner. I've already complained about this to Evernote several times, and I've been ignored.

• Level 5*

Actually the OP is complaining about the offers from O2 appearing even when you have a premium account. I'm also getting these o2 ads - I can see one right now in my iPad Evernote app. This is nothing to do with the normal ads in the bottom left corner. I've already complained about this to Evernote several times, and I've been ignored.

Can you take a screenshot of the iPad ad (power button and home button), put it in a note (paperclip icon), and share the note here (arrow-ish icon)? I'm interested to see this. It sounds pretty awful if you are getting ads on the iPad.

• Level 5*

Ok worked how to attach :)

I've chopped the png down to just the left-hand edge of the app display to save upload space.

As you can see, there's an ad for O2 in the top-left corner and, as I previously said, I already have a premium account.

Thanks for posting that.

Yeah... to me that seems to cross a line. The promise with Premium (as Evernote clearly states on their site) is that Premium members can turn off ads. I could accept the Evernote Market and Announcements, because they are at least ads from Evernote, but this is too much.

Can you at least move the ad to the bottom by editing the order of stuff (the gear icon in the corner)? That would mitigate the problem, though I still think that selling ad space in a Premium account is a bad idea.

[EDIT:] Actually, Evernote has stopped saying that Premium users can remove ads. That is no longer being marketed as a benefit of upgrading... I guess we can expect to see ads coming to our stuff in the US soon :(

Although I disagree with it, and I think the terms of service are confusing in this regard, it does tell us we should expect ads (Evernote wants the service to be so valuable that we become premium, and presumably that will be something we do to get rid of ads, but it never says that, so I am not clear why the sentence is there except to say that they hope we will become premium).

"Our business model is to make the Service so valuable that our users will opt to pay for a Premium Service. However, we may display advertisements and promotions on or in connection with the Service, some of which may be paid for by third parties. We also provide announcements within the Evernote Software. These messages may promote other Evernote products and services (including the Evernote Market), events, demonstrate various uses of our Service and promote certain third party applications and services that work with Evernote. We pledge to you that we will not engage in any data mining of your information or Content in order to target advertising at you."

No I can't move it - I think I'm getting the ad because I have an old deactivated O2 sim in my iPad - I guess I need to pysically remove it, hopefully that'll stop the ad!

Yes, I noticed that they'd stopped mentioning 'remove ads' as a Premium benefit too - well, no point for me to pay for Premium now then come next renewal date, as that was the main reason I upgraded.

Seems like they want our money, and sell us to advertisers as well...

• Level 5*

No I can't move it - I think I'm getting the ad because I have an old deactivated O2 sim in my iPad - I guess I need to pysically remove it, hopefully that'll stop the ad!

Yes, I noticed that they'd stopped mentioning 'remove ads' as a Premium benefit too - well, no point for me to pay for Premium now then come next renewal date, as that was the main reason I upgraded.

Seems like they want our money, and sell us to advertisers as well...

Ouch! You can't remove it, you can't move it, and it is stuck there above your Notes (arguably, the most important piece of real estate in the app) -- that is pretty bad. Let's hope this is just a bug of some sort due to the old SIM card, and not an actual policy by Evernote.

I consider myself fairly liberal in my view of ads. As long-time members of the forums might recall, I actually tried to get a campaign going to bring back ads to our desktop client!

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/33239-evernote-v504-ads/?p=180485

If someone like me who actually asks Evernote for ads thinks they have gone too far, then I think they ought to revisit this decision.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

[EDIT:] Actually, Evernote has stopped saying that Premium users can remove ads. That is no longer being marketed as a benefit of upgrading... I guess we can expect to see ads coming to our stuff in the US soon :(

tumblr_inline_mx4je3ZIFC1rmbvxm.gif

If we're eventually gonna end up with ads, I hope they're via The DECK. They're tasteful and I click on them more often than I'd like to admit. But I'd still prefer to not have them.

What makes it worse is that even if you're not an O2 user, you still get the offer to "redeem points".

My cell carrier in the UK is giffgaff and they piggyback on the O2 network. Unfortunately, EN can't see the distinction so not only do I get the O2 cr4p, I can't then redeem the points either.

Fail.

Oh and by the way:

It is always refreshing to see people jump right into pissed off about something they clearly don't understand. I say, do some research and ask some questions before you get all preachy and angry... 

Epic irony aside, I know it was in October but it's not too late to apologise/apologize.

Good grief. I gave it a couple of tries and actually got a redemption code.

My Premium sub isn't due for renewal until later in the year but I shall have to give it a try to see if it works then.

Whatever, hopefully the nagging will now stop.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a fix on the way for this--in 7.3.1 (the next submitted version, IOS) you'll have the ability to reorder / remove this module from the home screen.

We're working with O2 to see if there is anything we can do to detect the differences in sub-carriers.  Thanks!

Fixed. Thanks EN.

(My points weren't redeemable anyway by the way).

This should be investigated. Did you receive points from activating with O2, and they are sitting in your account and are not able to redeemed? Can you clarify a bit here?

Fixed. Thanks EN.

(My points weren't redeemable anyway by the way).

This should be investigated. Did you receive points from activating with O2, and they are sitting in your account and are not able to redeemed? Can you clarify a bit here?

I'm with GiffGaff who piggy backs on the O2 network, not with O2 itself. The ad originally allowed me to get as far as claiming the points but then wouldn't let me redeem them. 

I wasn't expecting to be able to, I was just adding the info for clarification as I'd posted earlier in the thread. Although my attempted clarification failed miserably, obviously.  :)

Thanks for querying it though.

Ok cool, wanted to make sure you hadn't attempted to redeem and been thwarted. Just in case! Again, sorry about the problems we've seen with piggybacks, hopefully the latest version and being able to disable the module is a good solution until we find a final fix for automatically removing the promotion entirely off piggbacked networks. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok cool, wanted to make sure you hadn't attempted to redeem and been thwarted. Just in case! Again, sorry about the problems we've seen with piggybacks, hopefully the latest version and being able to disable the module is a good solution until we find a final fix for automatically removing the promotion entirely off piggbacked networks. Cheers.

This is not an IOS issue. Android premium users who are on O2 reseellers are also affected. The offer nags on every startup of Evernote and can not be redeemed either. Please fix it. Thank you.

This is not an IOS issue. Android premium users who are on O2 reseellers are also affected. The offer nags on every startup of Evernote and can not be redeemed either. Please fix it. Thank you.

Have you experienced this problem recently? Like, in the last few weeks?

Have you experienced this problem recently? Like, in the last few weeks?

The offer nags (present) on every startup of Evernote and can not be redeemed either. Please fix it. Thank you.

Sorry, I was just asking for clarification.

I know Evernote staff have recently, and continue to, try and resolve this issue. I suspect since there are a number of parties involved (o2, their subcarriers, and Evernote itself), there are some challenges. It is unfortunate that people on subcarriers such as yourself are subject to this. In this thread and another thread on the topic Evernote have expressed their desire to get this resolved and realize that this is a significant issue. 

I should add, this is a user forum, and while Evernote staff do read and participate (in this very thread in fact!), you might consider submitting a support ticket and include the specific sub-carrier you are on. 

• 4 months later...

Archived