Evernote for Mac doesn't work anymore with a document created by the new Pages (ver.5 2014) format.

Evernote for Mac doesn't work anymore with a document created by the new Pages (ver.5 2014) format. 

When attaching a pages document Evernote would zip the document, which then would not allow to reopen it in pages, obviously search functionality and so on previously working with pages breaks as well.

Please urgently fix that, I really rely on that feature

Please, please fix this quickly!

I use Evernote business and this is a huge problem for my day-to-day work as I save all my business letters and documents in Evernote.

The major issue is not the annoyance of having to open a .zip-folder and choosing the document, it is that work in progress is no longer saved after opening a .pages-document from Evernote, editing it, and then closing it again. So far I've been able to retrieve the changes from some temporary folder using Pages previous documents menu, but there's a HUGE risk of data loss!

The zipped files are also "lost" in Evernote, their contents can not be searched. I went from paper files for each client to storing all data in Evernote tagged by client to be sure I had all data in one place: letters, e-mails, notes, billing information, related documents etc, and to get the benefit of being able to find what I need fast without going through hundreds of papers manually.

I know you guys at Evernote aren't to blame for the changes in the new version of Pages, but please try to fix it as fast as you can, I don't want to go back to xeroxing all my letters and printing out all my e-mails for storage in huge paper files!  :(

yes please provide an Evernote update version - I really need that!  (Also aware that the new iWork format is so new that every app maker is scrambling).

By the way -- this may be good info for the developers:  If an old iWork format file is already in Evernote, it opens up in the new format and saves in the new format, just like before.  Even if you export that file and open it in the new iWork format (tried this with Pages) and then copy it back to a whole new Evernote note, it works (not a .zip).   But if I create a whole new Pages file then I get a .zip file.   Seems to be a format recognition thing but the capability seems there.

I'm glad that this bug is being addressed.

I'm using a workaround: Export the .pages document as a Pages '09 document (File > Export to > Pages '09).

It allows us the same functionality as before, but my only gripe is that the formatting looks very odd when viewed in Evernote. When you open the same file in the new Pages, however, the correct formatting is intact. 

Hmmm...I've noticed that if you open the Pages '09 document from Evernote and save any revisions, they aren't reflected in Evernote nor when you reopen the document in Pages.

The workaround doesn't work. Sorry for the misinformation.

Dropbox seems to be having similar problems with the new file format. If I upload a ".pages" document, and try re-downloading it, I end up with a ".pages.zip" file, so this isn't limited to Evernote.

I hope there is a workaround. This is making Evernote pretty hard to use for my school docs.

Happy to hear, there's finally going to be a fix to this problem. It's actually always been an issue saving iWork documents to Evernote since the introduction of iCloud.

• Level 5

No need to cross-post.

This is not a bug in Evernote. This is a problem caused by specific versions of iWork which are now (by default) saving files as zip files. We are working on supporting that file format. In the interim, you can always save as an older iWork file if Evernote compatibility is necessary.

Good to hear that Evernote is working on a fix.  Can you give us any idea as to an ETA?

As a somewhat related issue, Evernote also compresses Scrivener files before attaching them.  Will Evernote ever be able to handle Scrivener files??

Thanks.

5.4.3 - It sort of works now, except Evernote still insists on adding a .zip to the file name. If you want to move or download the document anywhere else, you will have to rename it. Not a big deal, but it's untidy.

Almost there. You can do it.

• 2 weeks later...

5.4.3 - It sort of works now, except Evernote still insists on adding a .zip to the file name. If you want to move or download the document anywhere else, you will have to rename it. Not a big deal, but it's untidy.

Almost there. You can do it.

I just updated from the Mac App Store.  This is happening for me as well.

Any plans to fix this?

• Level 5

I should point out that we’re not adding a .zip to the file name, we’re zipping it. The document is actually a folder and we only support files as attachments, so we have to zip it.

If you just rename the file to remove the .zip, it will not open. You have to unzip it.

I should point out that we’re not adding a .zip to the file name, we’re zipping it. The document is actually a folder and we only support files as attachments, so we have to zip it.

If you just rename the file to remove the .zip, it will not open. You have to unzip it.

Is this the way it will always be?

I agree that approaching evernote is probably more productive than approaching apple on that problem but I think it's just a low move from apple aimed at promoting their own cloud services. If they keep it up I might decided that an android based tablet is not so bad after all...

Yes, sorry. I did mean extract, not rename. But it doesn't make the situation much different.

I know "adding a .zip to the file name" is wildly inaccurate. But that is what most end users will see.  Why or how their documents are zipped, though, won't matter. What will matter is that it is inconvenient and unexpected behaviour. But I guess that's how workarounds work.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I've been wondering what's going on with the zip Pages files, and today I needed a file to open etc. 

So, please, when can we expect to be able to paste Pages files into a note on a Mac and then open it on a iOS device?

Thank you!

Hello!  I'm trying to attach a .pdf file into a note and unable to do so.  I've had the same issue others here and in similar threads have stated (can't attach - click on the paper clip, the finder window opens, highlight the file, click 'open', the window closes, and back to the note with no attachment :o ).  I'm on a MacBook running 10.9.1 and EN 5.4.4.  

Many thanks in advance for your assistance!   :D

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the problem with new pages has been sorted out?

I write a doc/ letter using the new pages on my iMac.

I open the Evernote app on the iMac ( running mavericks )

Drag the pages file into my Evernote account. The file is shown.

However.......

When I open the same file on my ipad or iphone it only opens as a zip file which just keeps loading. I can't see the file.

All software is up to date.

Please help me!

• 1 month later...

I hadn't noticed this because I have a few pages documents I dropped into Evernote weeks ago, and they are still compressed. Does this mean that I will need to add these documents again? I tried opening them, but they still appear in Evernote as zips files. 

I hadn't noticed this because I have a few pages documents I dropped into Evernote weeks ago, and they are still compressed. Does this mean that I will need to add these documents again? I tried opening them, but they still appear in Evernote as zips files. 

They are still represented in Evernote as compressed zip files, however do open in pages, numbers, keynote, with changes being saved back to Evernote. Works beautifully IMHO, however the representation of those files as zip archives is a bit misleading..

The problem is that documents aren't searchable as zip files... am I correct on that front?

I want to be able to put my documents in and search for words to have the documents come up - just like PDFs

Yes the pages file inside the zip seems to be not searchable..hmmm....

@EvernoteTeam please fix

• 1 month later...

This seems to be "broken" again. I lost about 20 hrs of work because of this inconsistent and unexpected behavior. Normally I keep my omnigraffle file in a shared folder to allow others to get the updated diagram as changes are made. A real shame, I have been using you guys for so long and this was one of the major benefits. I'll have to find a way to make dropbox work for me instead. Let me know if you guys decide to make a fix. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

I thought this had been fixed, but my Pages documents are still turning into zip files when I drag them into Evernote.

This is expected behaviour. 

The iWork apps save documents as packages, so the only way to attach them to a note is to zip them.

The zip files should still have the correct icon and double clicking them should open them in the correct app.

I'd say this isn't exactly an issue which Evernote will ever be able to resolve. It is rather caused by the way in which Apple iWork documents are saved as packages. And I guess that in this case that goes for search as we'll.

The last two posts:

"This is expected behaviour. 

The iWork apps save documents as packages, so the only way to attach them to a note is to zip them.
The zip files should still have the correct icon and double clicking them should open them in the correct app."

and

"I'd say this isn't exactly an issue which Evernote will ever be able to resolve. It is rather caused by the way in which Apple iWork documents are saved as packages. And I guess that in this case that goes for search as we'll."

do not make sense to me: Evernote used to allow Pages and Word documents to be pasted into a note with being zipped. Now it doesn't. Something changed with Evernote.

As far as I know, Apple changed their file formats with their newer versions of Pages and Numbers. See here: http://www.macworld.com/article/2063353/how-to-work-with-iworks-new-file-formats.html

OK, thanks! That was helpful. Apparently, the problem was solved and I didn't even know it! 

I just checked my attachments in Evernote, and all Pages and Word documents are no longer zipped! I guess a recent update of Evernote fixed the problem......?

My attachments are still zipped. I looked at a Pages template document and also created a new document from scratch. Zipped.

Apple may have changed the format of these files, but they have always been packages, and it used to be possible to view and edit them in Evernote, so clearly it could be fixed.

What I want to know is if Evernote is still working on this. If it has been fixed, why am I still seeing zipped files?

• Level 5

Apple may have changed the format of these files, but they have always been packages, and it used to be possible to view and edit them in Evernote, so clearly it could be fixed.

They have not always been packages. They used to save as flat files.

Evernote does not have (and has never had) the ability to attach directories to notes, so we zip them before attaching them.

It is still possible to view and edit these documents.

Evernote does not have (and has never had) the ability to attach directories to notes, so we zip them before attaching them.

The problem is that when you edit them, the changes don't save. Every edit you make, you have to save it as a new document. 

As for viewing, the only way to view is to open.

Ok guys, listen.

Te issue is that these zip files ARE NOT SEARCHABLE. Before, I could literally do a spotlight search and evernote would look through everything INCLUDING PAGES documents. Without that feature, it is worthless to put these files in here for quick spotlight searchable access.

Evernote, I would pay 500 bucks a year to bring this damn feature back. I dont like indian givers. I understand apple changed something. Call Apple and work on a fix. Do you need the number or something?

Frustrated that this is STILL not a priority

• Level 5

We are working to handle these new files better. We understand it's not ideal and we wish we had some control over the situation. Thanks for your understanding as we work through this.

Ok guys, listen.

Te issue is that these zip files ARE NOT SEARCHABLE. Before, I could literally do a spotlight search and evernote would look through everything INCLUDING PAGES documents. Without that feature, it is worthless to put these files in here for quick spotlight searchable access.

Evernote, I would pay 500 bucks a year to bring this damn feature back. I dont like indian givers. I understand apple changed something. Call Apple and work on a fix. Do you need the number or something?

Frustrated that this is STILL not a priority

I appreciated your passion and the problems you pointed out--I wasn't aware of them, thanks!

However, please reconsider using the phrase "indian giver." Go ahead and say I'm too politically correct, if you wish, but it's 2014, you know?! Thanks.

Guest neex

We are working to handle these new files better. We understand it's not ideal and we wish we had some control over the situation. Thanks for your understanding as we work through this.

I can appreciate the fact that Evernote was not originally intended to be a file management utility.  I can also appreciate that Apple somewhat suddenly changed their iWork file formats on everyone and that this is not Evernote's fault.  However, I, and many others, have come to utilize Evernote as a way of organizing documents.  I am heavily invested in Evernote for storing and organizing about 75% of my files--most of which, I might add, are Pages documents.  In fact, I paid for the premium Evernote service specifically for this feature.

I'm not quite ready to abandon Evernote over this (for one, I simply don't have the time to reorganize everything at the moment).  However, it has been quite some time (more than 6 months) and there is still no indication of whether Evernote considers this a priority.  Is there more you can tell us beyond these three short sentences?  Is there a timetable for the fix?  I realize that Evernote might not want to make a promise here that they can't keep, but can you at least give us a general idea of how long we should hold out?  Less than 6 months?  Less than 12 months?  A year or more?

I can appreciate the fact that Evernote was not originally intended to be a file management utility.  I can also appreciate that Apple somewhat suddenly changed their iWork file formats on everyone and that this is not Evernote's fault.  However, I, and many others, have come to utilize Evernote as a way of organizing documents.  I am heavily invested in Evernote for storing and organizing about 75% of my files--most of which, I might add, are Pages documents.  In fact, I paid for the premium Evernote service specifically for this feature.

I'm not quite ready to abandon Evernote over this (for one, I simply don't have the time to reorganize everything at the moment).  However, it has been quite some time (more than 6 months) and there is still no indication of whether Evernote considers this a priority.  Is there more you can tell us beyond these three short sentences?  Is there a timetable for the fix?  I realize that Evernote might not want to make a promise here that they can't keep, but can you at least give us a general idea of how long we should hold out?  Less than 6 months?  Less than 12 months?  A year or more?

I am with you on this. I use Evernote too much to just pack up and move somewhere else (where?), but I really miss this feature. I, too, paid for premium to have this feature.  

I am with you on this. I use Evernote too much to just pack up and move somewhere else (where?), but I really miss this feature. I, too, paid for premium to have this feature.  

My understanding is that, even if we wanted to switch to another application, Evernote's notes are a proprietary format so, if you have lots of notes, one would have to copy and paste them all into the new app. If this is correct, we're stuck. Dear Evernote, I would like to request that you install an EXPORT feature that allows bulk exporting to standardized formats. I'm nearly ready to do this, but would actually stick around if you made it easy to leave. Why? Because it would demonstrate you are so confident we will love your features for years to come, you don't fear us leaving. Right now, based on stuff outlined in this thread and the fact I just discovered the proprietary nature of your notes, I'm wavering and reading up on your competition.

• Level 5

My understanding is that, even if we wanted to switch to another application, Evernote's notes are a proprietary format so, if you have lots of notes, one would have to copy and paste them all into the new app. If this is correct, we're stuck.

This is incorrect. We have no interest in forcing people to stay on our platform against their will. 

There are many ways to export your notes. The easiest way is to select 'Export All Notes' from the file menu. If you're exporting with the intention of moving to another app, you'll probably want to export as HTML.

My understanding is that, even if we wanted to switch to another application, Evernote's notes are a proprietary format so, if you have lots of notes, one would have to copy and paste them all into the new app. If this is correct, we're stuck.

This is incorrect. We have no interest in forcing people to stay on our platform against their will. 

There are many ways to export your notes. The easiest way is to select 'Export All Notes' from the file menu. If you're exporting with the intention of moving to another app, you'll probably want to export as HTML.

OK, that looks promising and thank you for your quick response, Browncoat!

However, I just tried an export and I have a few questions/concerns:

1) It looks like I can only export one note at a time. If true, it again makes it a real b*tch to switch platforms (I have over 3000 notes right now).

2) I'm not clear how exporting as an "HTML" file is helpful. Once exported, I click on it and it opens in my browser. Assuming I can export all my Evernote notes as HTML, what would I do then? 

3) What about notes with .pdf, Word, and Pages files etc.? Am I correct in assuming I would have to copy and paste all of those individually?

Thanks for your patience with this--I'm really trying to stick with Evernote as long as I can be assured I'm future-proofed in case, for example, you guys (god forbid!) go under or you're bought out by somebody like google and I have to escape the evildoers etc.!

Thanks!

• Level 5

1) It looks like I can only export one note at a time. If true, it again makes it a real b*tch to switch platforms (I have over 3000 notes right now).

2) I'm not clear how exporting as an "HTML" file is helpful. Once exported, I click on it and it opens in my browser. Assuming I can export all my Evernote notes as HTML, what would I do then? 

3) What about notes with .pdf, Word, and Pages files etc.? Am I correct in assuming I would have to copy and paste all of those individually?

1) I should have been clearer. If you have one note selected, the menu item will just export that note. If you have multiple notes selected, all those selected notes will be exported, and if you have no notes selected (when you're looking at your notebooks or tags for example), then ALL your notes get exported.

2) What you do with the html files depends on where you want to move them to, and what that app's import capabilities are.

3) If you export to HTML, all the attachments for each note are saved to a resources folder. If you just want to export the attachments and not the notes themselves, you can select multiple notes and then click the 'Save Attachments' button.

You might be interested in reading Evernote's Three Laws of Data Protection

Holy *****, I've never seen your "Three Laws of Data Protection"! Very cool!

I'm not sure about the importing to other apps issue with HTML: sounds like it could be problematic--anyone else ever tried to do this with another app?!

"Our philosophy is that if you’re confident that you can leave Evernote at any time, then you’ll be confident enough to want to stay."

Exactly! That, and the other two laws have just strengthened my confidence in Evernote! A big relief, THANKS!

(For anyone who hasn't seen those laws, check them out!)

Once again, it's clear you guys are the best in your field! 

• 3 months later...

I finally started using Evernote last night and love it. I'm not sure how I've been missing the Evernote boat all this time. That said, I just came across this problem. So add me to the list of disgruntled people. I even paid for a year of service just this morning.

Everything works fantastically -- except I'm not exactly sure what to do about this iWork situation. I'm not even necessarily blaming Evernote. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure there is even a solution to this. I would be more inclined to blame Apple for this. Not sure why Apple had to go and change the format like that. Maybe it's a strategy to lock us into the Apple eco-verse? Why would they think it makes sense that a simple document should be structured as a folder + files?

Well anyway, it is what it is. Hopefully this can get sorted soon. All my Pages stuff has to stay on my local laptop for now until a fix for this comes up. I guess I could always just stop using Pages and go back to Word. But I kinda like Pages now. Conundrum.

I finally started using Evernote last night and love it. I'm not sure how I've been missing the Evernote boat all this time. That said, I just came across this problem. So add me to the list of disgruntled people. I even paid for a year of service just this morning.

Everything works fantastically -- except I'm not exactly sure what to do about this iWork situation. I'm not even necessarily blaming Evernote. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure there is even a solution to this. I would be more inclined to blame Apple for this. Not sure why Apple had to go and change the format like that. Maybe it's a strategy to lock us into the Apple eco-verse? Why would they think it makes sense that a simple document should be structured as a folder + files?

Well anyway, it is what it is. Hopefully this can get sorted soon. All my Pages stuff has to stay on my local laptop for now until a fix for this comes up. I guess I could always just stop using Pages and go back to Word. But I kinda like Pages now. Conundrum.

I have posted in this thread in the past and complained, as well; however, I'm no longer having the problem. Something changed and fixed it. Not sure what happened, but you might try deleting the notes with Pages documents in them and trying again....but I really don't know what I did (or didn't do) to get the problem to disappear. Go figure.

I have posted in this thread in the past and complained, as well; however, I'm no longer having the problem. Something changed and fixed it. Not sure what happened, but you might try deleting the notes with Pages documents in them and trying again....but I really don't know what I did (or didn't do) to get the problem to disappear. Go figure.

Yeah, I think my problem might be that I'm running Yosemite beta. Stitch doesn't even work either. So I'm going to just grin and bear it until Yosemite gets officially released. I have a feeling Evernote will then address all the issues and maybe by early next year all these wrinkles will be ironed out. That's my hope anyway.

But my problem is that I drag a "pages" file into Evernote and it seems to split it up into a couple of preview images and a zip file. Then if I try to save it back, it doesn't save it as a "pages" file. It saves it as something else. So in other words, it breaks the pages file and doesn't seem to know how to put it back together. That's my guess anyway. Maybe I'm totally wrong.

• 1 month later...

I tried a work around suggested by TrishGP on page one of this thread. She later posted that she was mistaken and it doesn't work, but it does for me! 

Export your document as a '09 version. I've tried it with Pages and Numbers, and they don't zip and are searchable. 

It's definitely still an issue – and a worrying move by Apple, if intentional – but hopefully this is a good enough hack for some of you. 

Since my last post, I had gone back to Mavericks. I did a clean install and never looked back. However, yesterday that changed. I noticed the third public beta of Yosemite came out and since iOS 8 came out, I decided to try Yosemite again. This time it all works great! I'm very happy. Now once they get the iCloud Drive bugs worked out I think will be a really great setup (iOS 8 + Yosemite).

Why not just add a layer over the .zip file. Possible an image that displays the content within the iWork file? That could solve the searchable issue.

Hello!

It seems I am not alone having problems with pages files suddenly being turned into .zip files that I cannot open. It happened a few years ago, and today it happened again. Valueable information indeed stored on the files, I was using Evernote in order not to loose it.

I assume from glancing through the discussion above that iWork turning into .zip files is known as a problem since a few years back. An indication perhaps that I had better save iWork files somewhere else. Do you have any suggestions on

- how to unzip the .zip files? (I cannot even retrieve them from the server)

- is Evernote supposed to work this way - do I do something wrong?

- I saw a comment that Dropbox may behave similarly. Would OneDrive, Box or GoogleDrive work well?

Thanks in advance!

• 4 months later...

Hi guys

If I export as a Pages 09 document, I'm able to search within it using Evernote. Great! Unfortunately when I open the document, Pages won't let me edit it without upgrading the document, and if I upgrade I can't search again.

Is there any way around this?

I really want to be able to search within Pages documents, because Pages is so much nicer to use than Word!

I am just having a similar problem, also with package files and also with a cloud service: In that case it's a RapidWeaver .rwsw project file that I had stored on Google Drive and which now is broken. :( I have reported the issue and until now got this information:

"It's very important that you do not store your RapidWeaver project files on Dropbox (or similar cloud synching solutions). Attempting to sync RapidWeaver project files with cloud services may result in the project file becoming corrupted. ..." (see here)

Looks like these cases are related. All of them have issues with package files using cloud storage services. As far as I can tell by this, cloud services in general seem to have big issues with package files like Apple's Pages or Numbers, or RapidWeaver project files.

As long as this issue isn't solved, these services should at least have a big warning message pop up whenever anybody attempts to store any of these files up there.

• 1 year later...

Archived