(Archived) I can't find my clipped web page

I downloded Evernote 5.  I clipped a webpage, which is indicated on that page that i did clip it.  When I went back to Evernote to find the clip it wasn't there.  What am I doing wrong?  I made a notebook, went to the webpage, clicked on the Evernote symbol, saw my Notebook at the top of the pull down list, added a tag, added a comment, clicked on clip full page. What did I do wrong?

I downloded Evernote 5.  I clipped a webpage, which is indicated on that page that i did clip it.  When I went back to Evernote to find the clip it wasn't there.  What am I doing wrong?  I made a notebook, went to the webpage, clicked on the Evernote symbol, saw my Notebook at the top of the pull down list, added a tag, added a comment, clicked on clip full page. What did I do wrong?

It's always helpful to let others know what client(s) you're using when asking for help.  SInce you said you downloaded EN, I'm guessing you're using either the Mac or Windows client.  Did you sync this client after clipping the web page (which normally goes directly to the cloud.)

Thanks for getting back to me.  I have windows 7.  I just checked EN again and the homepage of of the website showed up.  I did not clip this page.  When I went back to check the page I thought I clipped, it was confirmed at the top of that page, that I had clipped it. And why would it take 48 minutes anyway? I have never taken a computer class and am confused as you can tell.  I didn't have any trouble with the last version of EN.  I used EN because it was simple and it worked.  I don't understand what ICloud has to do with my problem.  Isn't Icloud just for Apple products?

Thank you

Thanks for getting back to me.  I have windows 7.  I just checked EN again and the homepage of of the website showed up.  I did not clip this page.  When I went back to check the page I thought I clipped, it was confirmed at the top of that page, that I had clipped it. And why would it take 48 minutes anyway? I have never taken a computer class and am confused as you can tell.  I didn't have any trouble with the last version of EN.  I used EN because it was simple and it worked.  I don't understand what ICloud has to do with my problem.  Isn't Icloud just for Apple products?

Thank you

Evernote has nothing to do with iCloud. Evernote has its own "cloud" & that's often where web clips go, instead of directly to a desktop client. So you need to sync the desktop app to get the notes from the EN servers (aka "cloud").

I assume it is syncing.  When I clip it is indicating that it is working.  I just tried to clip another page and it hasn't shown up yet ,if it even will.  Is there aa later version of EN?  I  got an email recently to download 5

i just got the (correct) webpage to clip to EN.  It took 47 minutes!  Do you know why it doesn't clip immediately? 

Web clips do get clipped immediately.  But if you're clipping to the cloud (EN servers) and wanting to see the clip in your desktop client, then as I said a couple of times above, you need to sync the desktop client so it syncs the clip down from the EN cloud.

What is the desktop client? How do I know what I am syncing to? How do I clip DOWN from the EN cloud?  Sorry but I don't know what you are talking about.  I just followed the instructions on line an also wached a couple of tutorials.  Please give me the EXACT steps to take.  Like I said, I have never taken a computer class and don't know a lot of computer lingo.

• Level 5

Let me try to explain it in an easy way. What I learned from your posts is that you have downloaded and installed evernote for windows and the web clipper for firefox. You now clip a web page in firefox and it doesn't show in the evernote app immediately.

The reason is that the web clipper puts the note on a hard drive somewhere in the world only accessible via the internet. Your evernote application however, has its own database which is on your computer. Both databases have to be synchronized. If you are not using the sync button, two round arrows in the top bar of your app evernote will do this on a timely basis. In your case this obviously took quite a while. Again, to synchronize the databases immediately, just click on the button with the round arrows.

Evernote syncs on it's own.  I get message at the bottom right corner "Syncronization (SP?) complete" . I have also synced manually.  Also when I clip a page the two round arrows go around, a green check mark pops up, and tells me that my page has been synced.  Then I go to my notebook and whatever I just clipped is not there.  I have tried this over and over. It usually shows up much later.

• Level 5

Evernote syncs on it's own.  I get message at the bottom right corner "Syncronization (SP?) complete" . I have also synced manually.  Also when I clip a page the two round arrows go around, a green check mark pops up, and tells me that my page has been synced.  Then I go to my notebook and whatever I just clipped is not there.  I have tried this over and over. It usually shows up much later.

OK, getting closer. From what you describe it seems that you use the web clipper in a way that it clips directly to the evernote application (client) and not to the web (server). The clipper on windows can be configured that it either clips to your evernote desktop client or to the web. When it clips to the desktop client application the synchronisation has to occur in the opposite direction from the client to the server. This could possibly cause the problem. I use the clipping to the web configuration then I don't need to open evernote before I can clip something. I guess in your case it is different and you start evernote with your MS Windows system which is the default I think.

I will check later today whether I can reproduce the problem and let you know the result.

I swiched to ENP, which I don't need, and got an answer after 2 hours of waiting on Chat!  I went to Tools, Add ons, Extentions, EN web clipper, Options, and changed Send Clips to Web to Desktop.  On the Desktop setting I have to go to Evernote first and open the notebook first and the clip is there immediately.  The first way the clipper asks me where to clip but takes up to an hour to it to appear.  So  problem solved.  I just wish I didn't have to upgrade Premium.  Do you know if I can switch back?

• Level 5

I swiched to ENP, which I don't need, and got an answer after 2 hours of waiting on Chat!  I went to Tools, Add ons, Extentions, EN web clipper, Options, and changed Send Clips to Web to Desktop.  On the Desktop setting I have to go to Evernote first and open the notebook first and the clip is there immediately.  The first way the clipper asks me where to clip but takes up to an hour to it to appear.  So  problem solved.  I just wish I didn't have to upgrade Premium.  Do you know if I can switch back?

OK, I now tested it on my Windows system as promised. As I said before, my setting was "clip to web". When I change it to "clip to desktop" a clipped page immediately opens as a note in Evernote even if Evernote is not already running. So this is how it now works for you.

But when I use "clip to web", clip a page and a few seconds later click on the sync button in the Evernote client, the note is also there within seconds. I don't know why this takes that long in your case.

The synchonisation settings in "Functions - Options - Syncronization" allow to configure the way Evernote synchronizes (e.g. automatic synchronization on a timely basis, background synchronization etc.). If you are happy when your notes are on your PC and don't care about access from elsewhere, fine. If you want to access your data from a browser or mobile device you should look into that to make sure your data get synchronized.

The best way to check this is to go to www.evernote.com and log into your account. You will directly access the data on the evernote servers. If you see all notes that you see in the desktop application, synchronization works correctly.

Enjoy working with Evernote!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived