(Archived) suggestion for better search of subsets of notes

sjpschmid

Here is my suggestion for a better way to search a subset of notes.

(I expected Evernote to work this way, and was surprised when it did not.)

Scenario 1:

1. Select a tag.  (The note list is reduced to notes containing that tag.)

2. Type in a search term.

What I expected is to now have just the notes with my selected tag AND the search term, but Evernote forgets about the tag and searches all notes.

Scenario 2:

1. Type in a search term.  (The note list is reduced to notes containing that search term.)

2. Select a tag.

Again, what  I expected is to now have just the notes with my selected tag AND the search term, but Evernote forgets about the search term and just shows all notes with the tag.

I suggest that the behavior I expected is more intuitive.  And it also easier than using the textual search syntax that Evernote provides, and that most people probably don't know about anyway.

Thank you for listening.

• Level 5*

For the first one. try clicking on the magnifying glass to the left of the search control, and select "Current context". You should eb able to select a tag (or tags) and then type literal text for searching.

For the second one, use the first method... :)

Thank you, Jefito.  I did not know about the "current context" choice.  That does allow me to do what I wanted.

I still think that it is more awkward than the behavior I described in my original post, though.

It requires an additional step.  And then your choice of "current context" stays selected even though it is no longer visible.

Also if you start with a search term, and then later decide to limit it by tag, you have to start over.

• Level 5*

Thank you, Jefito.  I did not know about the "current context" choice.  That does allow me to do what I wanted.

I still think that it is more awkward than the behavior I described in my original post, though.

It requires an additional step.  And then your choice of "current context" stays selected even though it is no longer visible.

I almost always want to use the "current context" selection, so not a problem for me.

Also if you start with a search term, and then later decide to limit it by tag, you have to start over.

You can always go to the Search Explanation panel and edit your query there (e.g. remove items or change notebooks).

Archived