(Archived) Admin issues with Business Library

Hi All,

I'm an EN Business Admin and have created and shared a few notebooks to trial. Of the many problems I have encountered (dealt with elsewhere on these forums by many others!) one is particularly irritating.

When I right click on a business notebook (that I have created an shared into the library) in the left panel (ie not in the library console) I am given the option to LEAVE the notebook and no option to UNSHARE it from the Library.

Anyone else have this?

When I click properties the dialogue box says the notebook was shared by *MyBusinessName* and not me!

When I go to the admin console online it says that i am the contact person for the notebook (not *MyBusinessName*) and I am allowed to delete the notebook entirely, but not to remove it (I know this has been dealt with elsewhere).

In the Business Library Console (inside Evernote desktop) I am listed as the owner of the notebook but right clicking does nothing (no pop up).

First I find all this very weird and wondered if I'm alone.

Second (and listen up Evernote because a lot of people are really fed up with this) - as an admin I need more control over notebooks that are going into the library, especially if I am the notebook owner!

Any help appreciated.

Peace out!

I'm not really actively using the business product any more so I can't answer your question but this lady started an excellent thread where she laid out some of the issues she was encountering as an admin, it may address your question.  http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37923-administration-of-notebook-sharing-must-haves/

I am not sure if any of those changed with the recent "Business 2.0", I think they made it easier to see what was being shared with who or something like that.

Thanks, that is an excellent thread. I wonder about the fact that Evernote seems to be confused about who is the creator/owner of the notebooks I have published into the Business Library though. Would be interesting to see if anyone else has experienced that. 

Hi soulchaser,

Not sure I can give you any facts, but instead here is my interpretation of what is happening.

First, I have the same as you describe.

When I right click on a business notebook (that I have created an shared into the library) in the left panel (ie not in the library console) I am given the option to LEAVE the notebook and no option to UNSHARE it from the Library.

I think this is the correct way to deal with the situation. Once a Notebook has been shared to the Business Library it is effectively owned by the business not the individual.

When I click properties the dialogue box says the notebook was shared by *MyBusinessName* and not me!

Again I think when you are looking as an individual user it is telling you that the Notebook is owned by the business.

When I go to the admin console online it says that i am the contact person for the notebook (not *MyBusinessName*) and I am allowed to delete the notebook entirely, but not to remove it (I know this has been dealt with elsewhere).

Here, you are now looking as the Admin of your business so you will now have the ability to see the originator of the Notebook, which to my way of thinking is correct.

In the Business Library Console (inside Evernote desktop) I am listed as the owner of the notebook but right clicking does nothing (no pop up).

I think that this is a place for viewing which any of the business employees can do.

Second (and listen up Evernote because a lot of people are really fed up with this) - as an admin I need more control over notebooks that are going into the library, especially if I am the notebook owner!

Yes, I agree with you. But of course this control should always be inside the Admin Console.

Do remember that this is only my interpretation of what is happening. It seems to be correct to work this way for me. I totally agree that as an Admin we need more control over the Business Notebooks.

Best regards

Chris

Thank you Chris. 

What I don't understand is how, as a notebook creator AND and admin, I have almost zero control over the notebook once it has been shared to the library. I can't believe this is normal and indeed I don not think it is. 

As a test I have rebuilt a notebook that was shared into the library, deleted the original (using the admin console) and then shared the new notebook. Now when I right click and choose Share Notebook I am given the option to edit settings and, although I can't unshare it, sadly, I can at least change the permissions of others. 

I guess there must have been some kind of bug when I was originally sharing notebooks. I was having syncing errors then so perhaps that was the problem.

Anyway, my slightly ranty points above still stand ;)

Martin

Hi Martin,

I wanted to add a few details to what Chris was saying that will hopefully clear a few things up.

With Evernote Business, when you share a notebook to the business library / business home area, you can right click on the notebook in the client and Modify the sharing permissions and de-publish the notebook from the business if you have modify and invite others access to the notebook. You will need to select the Modify Sharing option (on Mac) or the Share Notebook option (on Windows) to get to the area where you can depublish the business notebook.  To depublish the notebook in the Share Notebook settings, go to the line that has the icon with the books on a shelf and the business name and click the X.  This will remove it from being published. 

As you mentioned, if you right click on the notebook, you do see the option to leave the notebook in the app rather than delete a business notebook. This is designed so that if you no longer need a business notebook associated with your account, you can leave the notebook and retain all of the information with the business, but remove it from your account. You can delete the notebook by going to the Admin Console ---> Manage Notebooks ---> Click on the notebook ---> Click the link to delete the notebook.  Only administrators can permanently delete business content. 

You also mentioned the contact name of a notebook. This field is to help guide people to who will be able to tell them more about the notebook. You can change the entry of to a new employee that takes over the project or the notebook so you can always have the most current person listed on the notebook. 

Last, as an administrator you can go into the Admin Console of the account and adjust the sharing settings of any business notebook as well as delete the entire notebook if needed. These actions do take place in the Admin Console and not in the Evernote app itself.  

Jon H

Thank you, Jon H...

I started using Evernote Business 2.0 and the windows client 5 at the same time, right when EB 2.0 was launched...and without documentation for the 2.0 version I have had a very hard time figuring out what is new, what is old, and in general what is what.

I hope Evernote will provide this level of detail when they finally publish up-do-date user guides.

Archived