(Archived) Request: Bring back shortcut toolbar

eyalnow

• Level 5*

eyalnow, let me join with you in this request, and ask that it also apply the EN Mac.

The shortcuts on the toolbar are ALWAYS visible, making them truly useful.

The only thing I would do different is to allow the shortcuts to be grouped in "folders", like you can do shortcuts on browsers like FireFox.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5

I contacted Evernote Support about their removal of the shortcut bar - here is a summary of the communication:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It is no longer possible to make a specific note active AND still see all my other notes in the Note List. To maximize the amount of viewable content, I keep the nonessential information in the Left Panel closed.

With version 4.7, I could do the following with one click.

The only way I can do it now, is to use the following road map:

1. With the keyboard, press the "Windows, Shift & F" combination to move to the search field
  2. Use the mouse and move down to click on the saved search for the specific note
  3. Return to the keyboard, once again press the "Windows, Shift & F" combination to reveal the other notes
  4. Press tab twice to move to the appropriate title in the Note List

Is there an easier method?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(Evernote Support confirmed my assumption - there is no easier method)

We are sorry about the inconvenience.
I'll pass this feedback onto our developers for future discussion.
We appreciate your comments and suggestions.

This has been pointed out many times by many users.  It was another backwards step of 5.0 (in addition to the trashing of the program and turning it into a monolithic color sore for the eyes).  EN evidently does not understand the meaning of "shortcut" in the UI world.  It's something that is typically always available and easy to get to, i.e. a "shortcut".

• Level 5*

I have been doing some renaming of tags, and sorting the hierarchy out a bit. Having the shortcut to the tags is great, because that then gives me a second way of working on my tags, and I can drag and drop them from the left panel into a significantly reduced list of tags in the center panel. However, when I accidentally click on one of the tags in such a way that it calls up all the notes associated with that tag, I lose the "tags" in the center panel and just have the note titles (or whatever else I am displaying there). It would be great to be able to customize the shortcut toolbar to be able to show "Tags" in the center panel again, without having to scroll back up through my list of tags, then try and relocate where I was wanting to move a tag. I do not know if this is a bug or not, but it would improve the current version!

• Level 5*

However, when I accidentally click on one of the tags in such a way that it calls up all the notes associated with that tag, I lose the "tags" in the center panel and just have the note titles (or whatever else I am displaying there).

If you accidentally click on a tag in the tag tree and lose your current context, you may be able to get it back using the Alt+LeftArrow shortcut key.

Archived