Jump to content
  • 58
cjjoy1980

mac REQUEST: Embed Code Snippets with Auto-Formatting and Syntax Highlighting

Idea

I mostly use evernote to collect code snippets mainly C/C++ related.

When I copy the code from my editor like vim or xcode(mac), I dont see the

syntax being heighlighted.

On googling I found a online syntax highlighting tool. (http://tohtml.com/c/).

I was able to get my code higlighted but when I paste to evernote I see all the

code being pasted in a single line as below :

int sum(){>----int result = 0;>----return result != 0;}

Let me know if this could be avoided or if there is a better way for pasting code into evernote..

THanks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Recommended Posts

  • 0

While I'd love full syntax highlighting, a great start would be if you would just maintain a paste of code from a code editor as it is pasted.

Currently, all of the indents are removed after the Note is sync'd.

 

For example, a paste of code from the Mac Script Editor, in either AppleScript or JXA.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

+1

I've been waiting a couple of years for a simple "code block" formatting.

Live highlighting would be awesome but 5 years of begging here and the birth of Quiver didn't move Evernote much...

 

Some basic inline formatting options (including code block) were beta-tested a few months ago and then withdrawn.

Can someone from the Evernote team give us an update/timeline on this ?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, she-codes said:

Thanks to everyone who mentioned Quiver - I might be using that from now on, it looks promising.

I am now using Quiver The Programmer's Notebook  extensively, for all of my code snippets, and it really works great.

Ver 3 brought a lot of new, powerful features, and Ver 3.0.1 looks like it will be released very soon.
The developer is very receptive to bug reports and suggestions.  See the Quiver Issue/Request List

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hey guys, if you really want this feature, then you need to VOTE for it.
There are 110 replies in this thread, but only 3 votes.

Go to the top left of this page, and click on the UP arrow to vote:  EN-Forum-Up-Vote.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Hey guys, if you really want this feature, then you need to VOTE for it.
There are 110 replies in this thread, but only 3 votes.

Go to the top left of this page, and click on the UP arrow to vote:  EN-Forum-Up-Vote.png

There were hundreds of votes but when Evernote updated the ideas site all votes for reset to zero.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On October 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM, JeuLeuVeu said:

I want to store code snippets in Evernote

I see they just implemented the "code block" feature.  
I'm not sure the benefit of this other than it cleans out underlying formatting.
I'm not holding my breath, but a next step would be to implement a formatting option where you identify the code language and syntax highlighting is applied.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 minutes ago, kevoh said:

Whats the status of this feature implementation?

Upvoted.

There's no indication that Evernote is considering this feature.

Keep adding your votes;  it shows user interest

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

It's a shame that Evernote do not care about us. An open-source project should be open to offer Evernote features + code highlighting.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 minute ago, Kwadz said:

It's a shame that Evernote do not care about us

If you truly believe that, why would you use Evernote to store your data

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

If you truly believe that, why would you use Evernote to store your data

 

Because I didn't find other alternatives. By "us" I mean developers.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

So the  "It's a shame that Evernote do not care about us."
becomes "It's a shame that Evernote do not care about us developers"

Really, it should be "It's a shame that Evernote doesn't consider this request a high priority"

Please add your vote; voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

HEY!!! Version 6.9.2 has a beta option for codeblock! No syntax formatting though. So stupid. Quiver is still way better. 

Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 10.15.23.png

Edited by b_d_m_p
To add screenshot

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 16/02/2012 at 10:23 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Evernote is not well suited to be used as a Code Snippet manager.

That's exactly the point. From a programmer's perspective Evernote isn't well suited to be "the place I put everything" if it can't handle code snippets. Consider it a heads up that if you don't support code snippets other tools will eat your market share/mindshare.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
5 hours ago, ryan1234 said:

That's exactly the point. From a programmer's perspective Evernote isn't well suited to be "the place I put everything" if it can't handle code snippets. Consider it a heads up that if you don't support code snippets other tools will eat your market share/mindshare.

<Sigh>, another post predicting the demise of Evernote unless they implement  <insert feature request>

I’m able to insert code snippets into my notes.  

If I want auto formatting and syntax highlighting, I use a file attachment.  The code editor I use (Textastic) provides this feature

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 8/22/2017 at 5:50 AM, DTLow said:

<Sigh>, another post predicting the demise of Evernote unless they implement  <insert feature request>

I’m able to insert code snippets into my notes.  

If I want auto formatting and syntax highlighting, I use a file attachment.  The code editor I use (Textastic) provides this feature

For me the problem's not adding code snippets to Evernote, it's the copy-paste from Evernote.  Evernote embeds control-chars into the copied code.  When pasted into emails or Slack, the invisible control-characters are there and when others use the code, e.g. bash commands, the commands are broken.  I've been using Bear for all my code work and Evernote for personal data.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Yes - for me the problem is that you don't get back what you put in.

If I put in 'this', when I come to copy it and paste it into another application I get ‘this’ - which if, you look carefully has left and right single quotes instead of the ASCIIi code (39) "single quote" which I typed in. The others I have noticed are conversion of a pair of double quotes (ASCII 34 ) to "left and right double quotes" and from a pair of hyphens (ASCII 45) - like the ones used in lots of linux command lines in to a "long hyphen" . This makes using evernote to store my example scripts, code etc a nightmare. It hasn't stopped me using Evernote but it would be great to get a fix like <pre> or {code} to put around snippets to stop Evernote reformatting them. I'm using the Evernote Application on a Mac.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
49 minutes ago, VicC said:

If I put in 'this', when I come to copy it and paste it into another application I get ‘this’ - which if, you look carefully has left and right single quotes instead of the ASCIIi code (39) "single quote" which I typed in.

Is this an Evernote thing, or a Mac OS thing59dcfa464152d_ScreenShot2017-10-10at09_48_16.png.6d74c4ebbcc323b134c48f78ffb5ed39.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
5 hours ago, VicC said:

Yes - for me the problem is that you don't get back what you put in.

If I put in 'this', when I come to copy it and paste it into another application I get ‘this’ - which if, you look carefully has left and right single quotes instead of the ASCIIi code (39) "single quote" which I typed in. The others I have noticed are conversion of a pair of double quotes (ASCII 34 ) to "left and right double quotes" and from a pair of hyphens (ASCII 45)

What versions of EN Mac and macOS are you running?
I am NOT seeing this behavior in Evernote 6.11.1 (455059) on macOS 10.11.6.

Screenshot from EN Mac 6.11.1

2017-10-10_16-50-33.png.470f10956a524a2a0a08c995c4c959ef.png

Screenshot from BBEdit -- Paste of Code Snippet from EN Mac

2017-10-10_16-51-11.png.7ea671d69f361395df508d789e651dab.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
14 hours ago, DTLow said:

Is this an Evernote thing, or a Mac OS thing

 

Good catch! That sorts out that behaviour. Thanks for the tip.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, kiinoo said:

hey, is this feature implemented until now?

No, Evernote does not have a code syntax feature

To obtain this, I switch to a dedicated text editor app.  I post a screenshot in Evernote.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...