(Archived) Evernote update installs on C:\ and not on D:\ (as previous installation

takaita

Recently an Evernote update installed on my Windows XP machine. It did however not respect the original installation directory (on D:\) but installed automatically on C:\. The installation did not ask where it should be installed.

I do not want any prgraoms on C:\, C is for the OS, D is for programs and E is for Data. That is how I want it (and the disk space of the drives are fit for that purpose).

So, how do I move the Evernote program files to D:\ (without reinstall) and more importantly how make sure next updates install in the directory where I want it (and not in the directory that the Evernote programmers think is appropriate).

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Wow this is an old post - apologies that no-one picked it up before now.  Have you managed to resolve this since you posted?  If not and if you haven't already done so I suggest you raise a support request (see below) to ensure that Evernote are aware this happened.  It's certainly bad manners if not a bug.

Reinstalling needn't be a major issue - as you're on Windows,  you can simply copy your existing database to elsewhere and then uninstall this version completely,  reinstall Evernote (hopefully) to the correct location and put your database where you want it - resetting the location in the Evernote application to suit.

I can't suggest how to avoid this happening in future except to ensure that you uninstall the old version and reinstall the newer one manually whenever you're prompted to update.  Or you could simply let the update happen and fix it this way if it goes wrong.

• 3 months later...

I just got bit by this BUG myself (I consider it a bug, not a feature). My previous Evernote (version 4 with whatever upgrades were offered) was in e:\evernote, right where I want it and where I put it when I first installed the program. Every upgrade until last night's change to version 5 went into the same directory. Now for unknown reasons version number 5 is in c:\program files\evernote\evernote. I was not offered a choice of locations to install the upgrade.

Sure, I can download the distribution file, uninstall the latest version, and reinstall it where I want it. But the upgrade should have respected my original install location and did not. This sort of behavior is something I am used to encountering only with lesser quality software.

THIS IS MORE SERIOUS THAN I THOUGHT:

With Evernote no longer in my directory of original choice, the link between it and my ScanSnap seems to be broken--after scanning a document I get an error message from ScanSnap Manager "Failed to launch selected application. Make sure that the selected application is installed correctly." I surmise that ScanSnap Manager is looking for Evernote where it always did, i.e., where I put it originally. So either I reinstall my ScanSnap software, or I put Evernote where I want it.

So, I tried moving Evernote: I downloaded the latest installation file, removed the application using Control Panel Add Remove Programs, and ran the installation executable. BUT I WAS NOT OFFERED A CHOICE OF INSTALL LOCATIONS; instead, the program picked for me the unwanted c:\evernote\evernote. I decided, therefore, to completely remove version 5 and reinstall my latest version 4. But now it too insists on using c:\evernote\evernote! I'm hoping this is because of some registry entries somewhere, and will be researching this further, but NONE of this should have happened in the first place.

Please fix this. Please.

THIS IS MORE SERIOUS THAN I THOUGHT:

With Evernote no longer in my directory of original choice, the link between it and my ScanSnap seems to be broken--after scanning a document I get an error message from ScanSnap Manager "Failed to launch selected application. Make sure that the selected application is installed correctly." I surmise that ScanSnap Manager is looking for Evernote where it always did, i.e., where I put it originally. So either I reinstall my ScanSnap software, or I put Evernote where I want it.

So, I tried moving Evernote: I downloaded the latest installation file, removed the application using Control Panel Add Remove Programs, and ran the installation executable. BUT I WAS NOT OFFERED A CHOICE OF INSTALL LOCATIONS; instead, the program picked for me the unwanted c:\evernote\evernote. I decided, therefore, to completely remove version 5 and reinstall my latest version 4. But now it too insists on using c:\evernote\evernote! I'm hoping this is because of some registry entries somewhere, and will be researching this further, but NONE of this should have happened in the first place.

Please fix this. Please.

I can't imagine that there's not a place in your Scansnap software where you can specify where Evernote is located. Have you looked for this in something like settings, propertie, options, etc?

I just checked, and I probably can tell ScanSnap where Evernote is. But this is not the point. The point is, I should be able to put Evernote where I want it (as I was able to do when I first installed it), and any upgrades should not modify this without at least asking/telling me.

FYI, I just reinstalled version 5, and used the Revo Uninstaller to remove it. It found and deleted several registry entries concerning Evernote. But even then, I could not install either version 4 or version 5 to my directory of choice--I was not given a choice. Then I went into the registry and manually changed several references to c:\program files\evernote\evernote (still there after Revo and not mentioned by it) to e:\evernote, but the unwanted behavior continues.

I know that even the version 5 installer SHOULD offer a choice of installation locations, because (I just remembered) I recently put that version on a new computer with a fairly new install of Windows 7 but no previous Evernote installation, and I was able to put it where I wanted. What's more, an upgrade just today went exactly where it should have.

So what is the problem going from 4 to 5, and why can I not, even after seemingly removing all traces of the program (except my data files, which I have on d:\Apdata\Evernote; Revo did NOT touch those) chose an installation location?

FIXED, finally

This worked for me and allowed me to specify the desired installation folder (from the thread http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/19741-alternate-install-location/?locale=en):

"When you start you[r] installation, after checking that license acceptance check box, you should see the "Advanced" button in the installer dialog.
Click on this button to select additional installation options, including the installation location"

Archived