(Archived) Clipper non-responsive (Chromium)

msbentley

Hi there,

I've just updated to ubuntu 13.10 from 13.04, and with it Chromium to version 29.0.1547.65. However, the Evernote clipper no longer works at all - the behaviour is the same on several computers.

I have tried un-installing and re-installing the clipper, restarting Chromium etc. This prompts me to log in and authenticate, which works fine (I have a Premium account, if that makes a difference). But on any webpage the clipper does not response when I click the button. The drop-down for EN clipper log files is also empty.

I'm using clipper build ID: c3984a1/1.0.1.250.

Any suggestions?

Regards, Mark

I have the same problem but don't expect a reply form anyone at Evernote any time soon...if ever!

I have been banging on at them for weeks now about this clipper and the only time I got a response was when I sent a Twitter message to Phil Libin and he got one of his lackeys to send a reply which was of no use and didn't solve the problem.

They seem to forget that it is us the users that ultimately have made Evernote as popular as it is today but already I have seen hundreds, possibly thousands of people levaing Evernote for other apps.

It's like banging your head against a wall trying to get any response from them. Not even an acknowledgement or comment anywhere that there might be a problem.

Now it seems that Mac users are having problems after the last Evernote update for Macs.

It seems like more and more they are releasing nothing better than beta updates and letting us poor mugs tell them what is wrong.

Stop all the updates across all platforms Evernote and get everything working properly!!

@sportsman0811

I read every post on the forum and reply to almost all threads, especially if I have some useful new information. In your case I believe I've prompted you to describe what type of issues you are having and if any of the action I've suggested made any difference. I never got a constructive dialog going with you, and as far as I know you haven't submitted a support ticket which in general is a good way to get help.

@Mark

We're not supporting Linux so the issues may be due to that. It would be helpful to know if the same issues occur with your user credentials if you try using the WC on a Windows or Mac machine, in some reported cases issues with the Clipper has been account related

Other things to try:

- Do you have any popup blocking software that may prevent our UI from showing when you click the toolbar button?

- Do you allow cookies from Evernote? 

- Make sure you are running the latest Chrome version. 

@Anzhr

One more thing to try could be to verify that IF you are signed in to Chrome (the browser) that the username matches the username that was signed in when the extension was installed. 

We've seen some weird behaviors on extensions in general (especially if it happens in Clearly as well) if there's some kind of mismatch in the user profile of when the extension was installed. I'm not perfectly clear on how Google intends this to work and why this sometimes causes issues. 

Hm. Well, I do think that profiles handling has been glitchy over upgrades and log-in sessions a few weeks ago. However, since I have uninstalled and reinstalled the clipper and Clearly in the browser within the same session this seems unlikely. Still, I'll look into the config files and see what I can find.

I have just spent an interesting, and enlightening, hour reading posts across the Evernote Forums. Not just related to the Web Clipper but across all platforms and all browsers. It seems that everywhere people are complaining about Evernote....lack of response,.....no visible customer service....nothing getting fixed etc. Yet you still continue to issue new updates etc, which quite frankly don't make much difference to what went before and in some cases make things worse.

How many people do you have working in Customer Service? One? It certainly seems like you don't have enough staff to handle everything. Add that to the fact that different browsers and operating systems are running on different versions of Evernote. 

It's about time you all took a step back and got everything across all platforms and browsers on the same versions of EN and fixed all of the outstanding problems before releasing anything new.

An interesting article by Phil Libin was in the UK press this weekend where he was saying that he wants to get everyone on the planet using Evernote. You are one hell of way off of even getting it right for those that use Evernote at the moment let alone the whole planet.

I think it's about time Evernote addressed these issues before a lot of people starting looking for and moving to alternatives.

I also think it's about time the technology press were made aware of the issues that you seem to having and how you seem totally unable to get things fixed in a timeous manner.

Evernotes reviews across the web used to be 5 out of 5 everywhere....now frequently disillusioned people are marking it down to 3 out of 5 and also moving from Evernote to Diigo, Memonic, Springpad etc. 

Far from everyone in the world using Evernote it could find itself going down faster than it rose.

Interestingly as a result of all these recent problems with the Web Clipper I have been trialling other similar programmes to see if I can find a replacement for Evernote.

One of those that I have been trying out I came across a problem. So I sent them an e-mail detailing the problem but not holding my breath based on the level of customer service on here.

Anyway, within 4 hours I had a reply, not a generic one but a personal one, asking me to try a few things. Within 30 minutes after another e-mail in each direction, the problem was solved.

This is a company with over 10 million users worldwide and only 12 staff!! So why on earth can't Evernote be that efficient? If they were there wouldn't be thousands of disgruntled users all over the web forums!

A quick update in response - firstly I wasn't aware you didn't support the Clipper on linux, I thought it was purely per browser (at least I can't see anything listed on your website or in the Chrome store).

To the other points: there are no popups being blocked and cookies are allowed.

I managed to get hold of a virtual machine running Windows, and in that case the clipper works - though the comparison is not straightforward since that machine runs Chrome 31 on WIndows 7.

There was mention of different accounts - this machine has only ever used one Evernote account, so that should not be a problem.

I would be happy to provide more details information to resolve this - please let me know what you need!

Thanks, Mark

@Mark

We're not supporting Linux so the issues may be due to that. It would be helpful to know if the same issues occur with your user credentials if you try using the WC on a Windows or Mac machine, in some reported cases issues with the Clipper has been account related

Other things to try:

- Do you have any popup blocking software that may prevent our UI from showing when you click the toolbar button?

- Do you allow cookies from Evernote? 

- Make sure you are running the latest Chrome version. 

@Iometogo

Chrome hides extensions if they overflow the UI around the address field. Can you check if you have a 'chevron' icon in proximity to the field and if the Web Clipper icon is in the popout meny when you click it?

Another thing to check could be if the WC for some reason has become disabled. Goto Window > Extensions and make sure WC is enabled in the checkbox column. 

• 2 weeks later...

Same here.

Since installing Ubuntu 13.10 and Chromium 29, webclipper does not work. After installing the extension, loggin-in to Evernote works and then ... nothing. Clicking on the icon does not even display the overlay.

Webclipping with clearly doesn't work either. The animated synchonization icon rotates indefinitely.

What I tried: Uninstall Chromium. Remove local config and cache files. Remove Google's stored chromium session through Google Dashboard. Install chromium, starting from scratch without any extensions. To no avail. Disappointing.

Please let me know if this problem is being investigated by Evernote. Otherwise I need to look for an alternative clipping solution. 

@ dirko I've had pretty much the same problem as you, as have thousands of others looking around the web, and I've basically given up on Evernote due to the fact that very few people are getting a response from EN.

I'm now using Diigo which has a very good good clipping system. Diigo is basically the same as EN but with a few added extras plus very good and fast response customer service.

I still have 2500 files in Evernote but I'm slowly either moving them over or getting rid of them if I no longer need them. 

If like me you use EN for business then it's vital that everything works all the time. We can all accept the odd glitch that is fixed quickly but these problems have been dragging on for a long time now and I doubt that EN have either the resources or knowledge to fix them. From reading other comments both on the EN forum and others it seems that everytime they fix one thing something else breaks. A bit like the little boy putting his finger in the the ***** to try and stop the flood.

After the trial version Diigo costs about the same, maybe slightly less, than EN for the Premium version.

Hi all - just to let you all know, I tested a recent build of Chromium on Ubuntu yesterday (31) and the clipper works fine. And this morning the official version has been upgraded in the repositories to Chromium 30, and the clipper also works... 

Archived