(Archived) Lock note feature - avoiding conflicts

Diego Nogueira

Idea

Hi, I would like to suggest a new feature, lock note.

I know that real time editing is very complicated to implement, but if the evernote has a lock functionality, I can lock a note and anyone can't edit my note while i'm editing.

This avoid a lot of conflicts. When i finished my editing, i open the note. Now who wants edit, click on lock note.

thanks,

Diego

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi, I would like to suggest a new feature, lock note.

I know that real time editing is very complicated to implement, but if the evernote has a lock functionality, I can lock a note and anyone can't edit my note while i'm editing.

This avoid a lot of conflicts. When i finished my editing, i open the note. Now who wants edit, click on lock note.

thanks,

Diego

I like the idea Diego, because I want to keep myself from accidentally modifying notes. This happens a lot, actually, because just tapping in a note can "edit" it for some of the clients. 

As for preventing modification conflicts with others, it seems unlikely. Until you and the other person sync with the service, Evernote won't know that a note is locked. The only way this would work is if everything is always locked unless you open it up for modifications. However, even then it would require the other person to sync in order to discover this, it would require you to sync to notify Evernote that the note is open, and this kind of defeats the point of a shared notebook. My guess is that without real-time syncing, collaboration will always be a little difficult on the same note (Google is one of the few services that does this flawlessly, and my understanding is that it took a lot of engineering and infrastructure to make it happen).

Hi Diego, GrumpyMonkey,

LiveMinutes (http://appcenter.eve...inutes/web-apps) solves just this problem. LiveMinutes lets you upload your Evernote notes and edit them together in realtime (you can see everyone's cursor) and your changes are automatically saved back to everyone's Evernote. 

Here's a video with more info : 

LiveMinutes also lets you chat and even conference in while editing your notes. You can also use LiveMinutes to share and pin comments to documents and visuals. LiveMinutes is free up to 5 workspaces (workspaces are like notebooks, they can contain as many notes as you want and have an unlimited amount of users), which is plenty, but you can also increase the limit by referring people. You can give it a try at http://www.liveminut...s.com/evernote 

Enjoy!

Alex

• Level 5*

Hi Diego, GrumpyMonkey,

LiveMinutes (http://appcenter.eve...inutes/web-apps) solves just this problem. LiveMinutes lets you upload your Evernote notes and edit them together in realtime (you can see everyone's cursor) and your changes are automatically saved back to everyone's Evernote. 

Here's a video with more info : 

LiveMinutes also lets you chat and even conference in while editing your notes. You can also use LiveMinutes to share and pin comments to documents and visuals. LiveMinutes is free up to 5 workspaces (workspaces are like notebooks, they can contain as many notes as you want and have an unlimited amount of users), which is plenty, but you can also increase the limit by referring people. You can give it a try at http://www.liveminut...s.com/evernote 

Enjoy!

Alex

Hi. Thanks for posting this. I think this is a wonderful way to collaborate on a note. I am afraid that the problem of conflicts, though, might still come into play (at least for me), because I might have a notebook shared with someone (a spouse, for instance) who could be editing this note or that one, but we are not actively collaborating on it. What I mean to say is that I might update the note on bills at the same time she does, though we certainly wouldn't need to go so far as to set up a time to work on the note together. Does that make sense? The more informal collaborations fall through the cracks, and one has to be careful.

Still, if you are using this in a business setting, in particular, then this would be hugely helpful. I can imagine a conference meeting where something like this would be great. Or, in my case, note-taking in class. In fact, I will give it a try with my students this week and see what happens.

That's true, you would need to be editing that note in the LiveMinutes workspace where you shared it. Once you share a note on LiveMinutes, the link of the workspace where it is shared is automatically added to a footer in that note, so you can easily open the workspace and start editing there (of course you can also edit the note by yourself in the workspace). It does force you to have LiveMinutes open, but we've tried to make it as painless as possible to switch between the two. Do you think this could work for you?

• Level 5*

That's true, you would need to be editing that note in the LiveMinutes workspace where you shared it. Once you share a note on LiveMinutes, the link of the workspace where it is shared is automatically added to a footer in that note, so you can easily open the workspace and start editing there (of course you can also edit the note by yourself in the workspace). It does force you to have LiveMinutes open, but we've tried to make it as painless as possible to switch between the two. Do you think this could work for you?

It sounds interesting, and I will certainly give it a try. I was just pointing out the kind of informal and unplanned note modifications that can cause conflicts to occur.

Archived