Evernote "Not responding"

I "Optimized Database" last week, I updated to the latest version (pushed to me today) 5.8.6.7519 (275519) Public  and I still get (Not Responding) hangups when merging notes, rotating images, etc.

Windows 7, 64b

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Level 5*

Have you updated to the latest version?  I just realised that even the (much shorter) blips I used to get seem to have stopped - I haven't seen a freeze in a couple of weeks...

Gaz, are you running off an SSD or HDD?

SSD installed. Now to see how EN responds (or doesn't) to the new drive. Either way, it's a win. Blow your hair back speed! 

UPDATE: Evernote seems to be working real nice. Loads fast, everything moves swimmingly and none of the dreaded 'not responding' messages. How sweet it would be if I could go back to using this program. An aside for those of you who have gone the SSD route or are considering it. I found one of the Windows optimizations for SSD pages and tediously went through the steps. Memory dumps, prefetch, caching and all that good stuff. I obediently rebooted and WHAM! A whole host of problems arose. Programs that wouldn't start with Windows as they usually do. A browser that took forever to load and which then kept blinking all over the place like a pinball machine. Everything was unstable and slow and really just no fun at all. In a panic, I rebooted a couple times but the problems persisted. Finally, I went back to the optimization page and undid all the tweaks that weren't obviously unrelated. Everything seems stabled now, but it's impossible for me to know which tweak caused the meltdown. It would have been a hell of a thing if I'd borked the SSD just a few hours after so happily setting it up.

• Level 5*

Have you updated to the latest version?  I just realised that even the (much shorter) blips I used to get seem to have stopped - I haven't seen a freeze in a couple of weeks...

Good,  old fashioned,  HDD!

• Level 5*

Good,  old fashioned,  HDD!

Interesting ... and no slow down issues at all?  I was thinking the delays were across the board with large databases but something else must be at play here as well.  At least the SSD is a good work around for those that can make the change.

• Level 5*

SSD installed. Now to see how EN responds (or doesn't) to the new drive. Either way, it's a win. Blow your hair back speed! 

UPDATE: Evernote seems to be working real nice. Loads fast, everything moves swimmingly and none of the dreaded 'not responding' messages. How sweet it would be if I could go back to using this program. An aside for those of you who have gone the SSD route or are considering it. I found one of the Windows optimizations for SSD pages and tediously went through the steps. Memory dumps, prefetch, caching and all that good stuff. I obediently rebooted and WHAM! A whole host of problems arose. Programs that wouldn't start with Windows as they usually do. A browser that took forever to load and which then kept blinking all over the place like a pinball machine. Everything was unstable and slow and really just no fun at all. In a panic, I rebooted a couple times but the problems persisted. Finally, I went back to the optimization page and undid all the tweaks that weren't obviously unrelated. Everything seems stabled now, but it's impossible for me to know which tweak caused the meltdown. It would have been a hell of a thing if I'd borked the SSD just a few hours after so happily setting it up.

Sounds like my laziness paid some dividends for once.  ;)   Glad it is working well for you.

Sounds like my laziness paid some dividends for once.  ;)   Glad it is working well for you.

Yep. I continue to be astounded by how snappy this old computer has become. It's one of those situations where the results are much better than expected, which is just awesome. I've been running the Evernote desktop program every day and haven't experienced even tiny blips. It's just beautiful. Although, as somebody pointed out earlier in the thread, an EN user shouldn't swap out his hard drive just to keep using the program. It would still be nice to see them remedy whatever it is that ails it. Otherwise... yeah, I'm on the I'll-never-go-back-to-HDD bandwagon.

I don't have the option to move to SSD on my work machine.  The "Not Responding" behavior continues to stunt my momentum and productivity.  I'm going to get some "premium" help line support now.  Cross your fingers for me.

I don't have the option to move to SSD on my work machine.  The "Not Responding" behavior continues to stunt my momentum and productivity.  I'm going to get some "premium" help line support now.  Cross your fingers for me.

Yeah, keep us posted. I in no way mean to express a "rah rah, I got mine!" kind of attitude. I'm thrilled that I can use the desktop app, but it's ridiculous that you have to actually replace a hard drive to make it work. Maybe you'll be the one to get The Answer we all await. Godspeed, man!

• Level 5*

Also not going to crow about working happily on a non-SSD system because that might cause the Evernote gremlins to come back out to play...  but there is hope even for us electronically challenged users.

I use Evernote on an SSD system as my primary computer -- and I still get the "Not Responding" messages periodically (such as, as another user reprted above, when rotating an image, or merging a lot of notes).  It eventually goes away, but, at least for me, an SSD has not been an Evernote panacea.

All best wishes.

I use Evernote on an SSD system as my primary computer -- and I still get the "Not Responding" messages periodically (such as, as another user reprted above, when rotating an image, or merging a lot of notes).  It eventually goes away, but, at least for me, an SSD has not been an Evernote panacea.

All best wishes.

Hi Robert,

Sorry to hear about the "Not Responding" issue with the SSD. I converted to SSD last February and since that time, not one case of "Not Responding." I appreciate your information and will keep a close eye on my setup and report any future problems. Just to note, I am still using version 4.6.7.8409 of Evernote. As I read all of the problems 5.xx is having and the no color issue, I just could not see the point of a negative upgrade. Still feel that the "Not Responding" issue has something to do with the way Evernote does its internal indexing, but that is just my thoughts.

Regards,

David in Wichita

My work laptop is running Win64 with a single 4GB RAM SODIMM.  I have just upgraded to two 8GB SODIMMs for <$120 and I now have 16GB RAM.

With 4X the memory I am cautiously optimistic that my "Not Responding" issue has improved.  I'll update this thread later this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Misery loves company. I've had this issue for a LONG time. Like others, I tend to leave Evernote open and come back to it throughout the day to add notes, etc. Invariably, when it has been "idle" for a while, when I return to use the app, I get the "not responding" message and have to wait for an unreasonably long time before I can use Evernote again. Frustrating to say the least. This happens on both my personal Windows 8 laptop (8GB RAM) and also my less capable Windows 7 work laptop. And I always update to the latest version when prompted.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, incredible to notice this thread has been ongoing for some two years.  So I had the same issue crop up about a month ago after years of using EN with no latency issues.  After playing with it, I realized that while the app froze randomly during use, it always froze when navigating to one certain notebook.  When navigating between others, hangs were random, but with this one notebook the app hung every time.  So within that notebook I navigated quickly from note to note until I found one particular note that caused the app to hang EVERY time I navigated to it.  So I copied the contents (a simple grocery list template of all things) and pasted it into a txt file to save the data, then deleted the offending note.  Now the app doesn't hang at all.  Could it be that one note of hundreds could become corrupted and cause the entire app to hang on every startup and regularly throughout the day, on every machine?  I don't know, but now it's speedy as hell with no issues, and after synching my other machines, they no longer hang as well.  Maybe worth an experiment for other sufferers.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I lost critical information during a cut/paste in a "Not Responding" crash. Someone suggested it could be a corrupted note, but that's a needle-haystack problem. Apparently there is some background operation happening either in the OS, or perhaps Evernote is reindexing. If the latter, perhaps re-indexing can be done on demand. On that note I also notice terrible latency in the search function, where the typed search word takes up to a minute to execute. Evernote has become the sick patient that screams "Not Responding!" everytime you touch it. :wacko:

• 1 month later...

I have had this issue for over a year now on ALL of the computers I have!  Windows, 7, 8 and 10.  Beyond annoying and never have found a solution other than to wait or end in task manager.  Thanks for all the back and forth, maybe someday.  It's a 5 or 6 times a day problem

I'm starting to experience this problem WITH the SSD now. I tell you, if changing the drive wasn't enough to fix it, I'm really done with EN. It's only happened a couple times so far, but man, that's nostalgia I could do without.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets compare everyone's Windows 'bit' level and amount of SDRAM.

I have Win64 with 16GB RAM and I don't get "Not Responding" nearly as often after the RAM upgrade.

others ?

Win64 with 3GB RAM. Never upgraded.

• Level 5*

Lets compare everyone's Windows 'bit' level and amount of SDRAM.

I have Win64 with 16GB RAM and I don't get "Not Responding" nearly as often after the RAM upgrade.

others ?

Win64 with 3GB RAM. Never upgraded.

Two laptops - both W64 with W8.1 - 8MB and W8.0 - 4MB of RAM respectively;  no major freezes.

Two substantially identical Win machines (also sync with iOS & OSX devices but most "work" done on Win7).

Principal machine:

EN 5.8.13.8152

Win7 Ultimate 64bit SP1

Moved EN dbase from C: (SSD) to D: (HDD), bad idea, needed the space.

RAM 32GB Dual-channel DDR3 @ 802 MHZ

Constant crashes (freezes) over past year (>1/day)

Crashes vaguely associated with long idle periods and attempting to save updated MSExcel attachments.

Very slow initial response on morning "wake".

Guesses:

>20,000 EN notes

SSD>HDD move (MSOutlook needed bloat room)

Always had trouble with MSExcel attachments in EN (versioning, mysterious disappearance, crash-on-save).

Have started occasionally working on iPad, possible cross-platform sync sneeze?

Have EN Business acct essentially unused, terrified of inflicting buggy performance on workflow.  It pops up with Welcome screens each morning for some reason, associated to EN morning-coma.

Reinstalls don't resolve crashes/stalls/hangs.  ReInst is the Rx for all problems per EN tech support so have done it multiple times.

Couldn't care less about cost - if SSD or even new machines resolve the issue, done.  No time to waste doing so for experimental purposes.

/Schooner

Updated to Evernote_5.9.0.8665 and just like every other update in the last year my Evernote is hanging, time-to-time.

If Evernote behaves like after the previous updates, it will continue to hang time-to-time for the next week/10-days. After it will behave better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been experiencing this problem for over two years, but have just learned to deal with it. That said, it is extremely annoying to have it hang                              when you're in the middle of typing a sentence. I've often had to resort to working in a text editor while it recovers.

• 11 months later...

The Evernote "not responding"  was a total nightmare for me to resolve.  Was very close to abandoning Evernote altogether after years of paid service.  I uninstalled and reloaded the program, tried just using the web based portal, moved to a different computer, reformatted my computer and reloaded all my software, ran through the defrag/ consolidation protocol deal for Evernote, and it would still hang up on me all the time "Evernote "Not Responding"".  Had trouble doing my job at time because I had become so dependent on this tool.  

Cut to the chase.  I had a couple of corrupted notes.  Two notes that I use frequently had somehow made Evernote unstable.  I copied out the useful information from those notes and created new ones to replace them.  Since this has been done Evernote has not been hanging up on me.  I have been able to go back to using the tool as usual, but I must say that this whole ordeal has made me really reconsider how much I rely on this tool day to day.  Hopefully my experience will help someone to resolve this issue quickly or will highlight a glitch which the Evernote folks will work to resolve.

On 11/30/2016 at 10:58 AM, Nic Keith said:

The Evernote "not responding"  was a total nightmare for me to resolve.  Was very close to abandoning Evernote altogether after years of paid service.  I uninstalled and reloaded the program, tried just using the web based portal, moved to a different computer, reformatted my computer and reloaded all my software, ran through the defrag/ consolidation protocol deal for Evernote, and it would still hang up on me all the time "Evernote "Not Responding"".  Had trouble doing my job at time because I had become so dependent on this tool.  

Cut to the chase.  I had a couple of corrupted notes.  Two notes that I use frequently had somehow made Evernote unstable.  I copied out the useful information from those notes and created new ones to replace them.  Since this has been done Evernote has not been hanging up on me.  I have been able to go back to using the tool as usual, but I must say that this whole ordeal has made me really reconsider how much I rely on this tool day to day.  Hopefully my experience will help someone to resolve this issue quickly or will highlight a glitch which the Evernote folks will work to resolve.

Interesting. I've heard it suggested a time or two that corrupted notes might be the cause. What I wonder is: how did you determine which notes were the culprits? 

6 minutes ago, LaFlamme said:

Interesting. I've heard it suggested a time or two that corrupted notes might be the cause. What I wonder is: how did you determine which notes were the culprits? 

@LaFlammeNot sure how Nic Keith did it, but in case you didn't see my post from June '15 (page 9), short answer is I found two notes that caused the app to hang every time I navigated to them.  Copy text - Delete note - New note - Paste text, and I've never had the problem again.  But then, I only have a few dozen notes, so the two offenders were relatively easy to find.  Would have been a more arduous process with hundreds of notes, though I suppose you could camp on the down arrow until it hangs.

Not read all of this thread again, but typically if you have a problem with a Note, it can be found - on Windows, not tried on my Mac as away on business - by selecting All Notes, then clicking Ctrl followed by the Sync icon.

I cannot guarantee this will be the answer for this problem, but it is worth a try.

Best regards

Chris

22 minutes ago, C6REW said:

Not read all of this thread again, but typically if you have a problem with a Note, it can be found - on Windows, not tried on my Mac as away on business - by selecting All Notes, then clicking Ctrl followed by the Sync icon.

I cannot guarantee this will be the answer for this problem, but it is worth a try.

Best regards

Chris

Huh. I tried this (highlighted all note and clicked ctrl+sync) but it seemed to simply sync as usual. No error reports or anything like that. Too bad, it would be great to isolate the trouble making notes in such an easy way.

Hi LaFlamme,

Thanks for trying and sorry it didn't work.

Indeed, it does work if you are having sync problems, but I hoped it may have solved this problem for you.

Regards

Chris

You could try to click Ctrl then Help.

You will now see an expanded list in the Help list.

Try 'Fix All Notes' to see if that helps. Be aware, depending on the size of your database that it may take quite a time.

Regards

Chris

Hey, I was happy to try it. It's nice to find a possible fix that doesn't require me to uninstall anything, delete databases or do any of that tricky stuff that always seems to result in chaos. No harm, no foul with this little trick. Nothing broken, no significant time spent. Worth a shot.

2 minutes ago, C6REW said:

You could try to click Ctrl then Help.

You will now see an expanded list in the Help list.

Try 'Fix All Notes' to see if that helps. Be aware, depending on the size of your database that it may take quite a time.

Regards

Chris

Huh. This sounds intriguing, as well. I shall give it a try. I like the advanced help menu that comes up this way. There's some good stuff in there. I'm after "fix all notes" for the time.

11 minutes ago, LaFlamme said:

Huh. This sounds intriguing, as well. I shall give it a try. I like the advanced help menu that comes up this way. There's some good stuff in there. I'm after "fix all notes" for the time.

Well, hell. This produced SOMETHING. The check found old two notes with lost resources. EN tagged those offending notes so I could easily find them. Not sure if they were the buggers in question, but I deleted them completely and now we'll see. Good tips here tonight.

Hi all,

The only thing that absolutely resolved this issue: changing my hard disk drive with a SSD!

I read a few posts on it (in this topic) and I didn't think it would help. After a few years dealing with the dreaded "non responding" message, I've decided to give my computer a boost.

No more Evernote freeze, it's fast as lightning!!! really it solved the problem. I was almost searching for an alternative. Now Evernote is really great (and every other software too)

Best regards

4 hours ago, LazParis said:

Hi all,

The only thing that absolutely resolved this issue: changing my hard disk drive with a SSD!

I read a few posts on it (in this topic) and I didn't think it would help. After a few years dealing with the dreaded "non responding" message, I've decided to give my computer a boost.

No more Evernote freeze, it's fast as lightning!!! really it solved the problem. I was almost searching for an alternative. Now Evernote is really great (and every other software too)

Best regards

I went the SSD route, too, and love it still. Super fast startup and program loads and no more issue with Evernote. In spite of that, I'm still dying to find a solution to the old freeze up problem. I need closure or something. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5
On 12/3/2016 at 9:33 AM, LazParis said:

Hi all,

Best regards

That is good news.  

But before I replace my drive, I would like to see a formal response from Evernote confirming the need for this change.

On 03/12/2016 at 2:33 PM, LazParis said:

Hi all,

Best regards

I'd rather not have to change my whole PC for Evernote. They should fix the problem, not make their users buy another hard drive.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jbenson2 said:

That is good news.  

But before I replace my drive, I would like to see a formal response from Evernote confirming the need for this change.

That might be a long wait based upon how long we have been discussing "not responding" and SSD's as a hardware hammer solution.  ;)

IAC, as I've stated in the forums before I made the move to SSD some years back and going forward I doubt I will ever buy a computer without SSD.  Everything runs faster, not just EN.

• Level 5

I ran each of these free Evernote repair options (Ctrl & Help) and the "Not Responding" message no longer appears.

• Optimize Database
  • Fix All Notes
  • Fix Notebookless Notes
  • Fix Lost Resources
  • Recreate Full Text Search Index
  • Recreate Attributes Index

It was a lot easier than cracking open my laptop and trying to replace a hard drive with a SSD. And a lot cheaper too.

6 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

I ran each of these free Evernote repair options (Ctrl & Help) and the "Not Responding" message no longer appears.

• Optimize Database
  • Fix All Notes
  • Fix Notebookless Notes
  • Fix Lost Resources
  • Recreate Full Text Search Index
  • Recreate Attributes Index

It was a lot easier than cracking open my laptop and trying to replace a hard drive with a SSD. And a lot cheaper too.

Will try this now!

On Thursday, December 01, 2016 at 7:32 PM, LaFlamme said:

For me the "corrupted notes" were the ones that I was using most frequently (the ones that I was using at least a few times a week).  It's been nearly a month and the issue has not come back since I copied out the needed information and deleted the two notes.  Interestingly I actually tried to hold on to the old notes by putting them in my "completed" folder but Evernote would occassionally do the "not responding" thing when I was searching all notes from the top level and those notes came up in the search results.  Had to kill them for good for the "not responding" issue to be totally gone.  Hope this helps as this problem was SUPER frustrating for me and was a nightmare to get to the bottom of.  I tried SO many things to resolve this and this is the only thing that worked.

I certainly wouldn't throw costly hardware at the issue, fix the root cause.  The software should not be all that memory hungry compared to other applications.  My system is capable of doing heavy engineering work and I still had trouble.

• 4 months later...

Oh Dear,

I've been using Ever Note Premium for more than a year and barely a glitch... until today. Now I've got the "not responding" problem on Windows 7.

This is a real pain the neck: I keep my whole life organized on EN now. I'll see if I can fix it with a clean re-install, but really I want to be using the software, not trying to fix it.

Now to search for Revo....

Wish me luck,

Nick

Hmm,

I downloaded the latest Ever Note version (6.5.4.4720) and tried installing that (without uninstalling anything) using Windows - which said that it was removing older versions during the process. The new version did the not-responding thing. I thought I'd better check that everything was there on the web-based interface: it was and the visit to the website seemed to please the programme on my laptop because it suddenly started working normally again.

Meanwhile, a message popped up on my 'phone telling me that my Premium subscription was extended in April.

Odd behaviour all round, but it's working again and I've discovered Revo, thanks to this thread.

Kind wishes,

Nick

On 5/4/2017 at 0:52 PM, Nick Hacking said:

Hmm,

I downloaded the latest Ever Note version (6.5.4.4720) and tried installing that (without uninstalling anything) using Windows - which said that it was removing older versions during the process. The new version did the not-responding thing. I thought I'd better check that everything was there on the web-based interface: it was and the visit to the website seemed to please the programme on my laptop because it suddenly started working normally again.

Meanwhile, a message popped up on my 'phone telling me that my Premium subscription was extended in April.

Odd behaviour all round, but it's working again and I've discovered Revo, thanks to this thread.

Kind wishes,

Nick

Hope that fix sticks for you. The 'not responding' issue is Evernote hell. Some of us had to go with nuclear options. Me, I installed an SSD drive, which had worked for others. Never regretted it. Still seems like EN has been weirdly quiet on this problem, though.

Archived