Nested Tags

lpuerto

Idea

Hi everyone! 

I have been playing for a while with the nested tags feature and I do not get it at all... Can anyone explain me this feature further? 

I would think that I would be a very good feature if when you choose the parent tag of the nested ones you could see all the content of the nested ones. In that way it would be a very great feature that reduce que amount of tags that you use per note. 

For example: 

Is you have notes for different countries like, Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark... And you have different notes with that tags. Yet, you have other notes that are related in general to nordic countries... and you nest the country tags under the nordic countries tag... When you search by tag, by nordic countries tag, you should can see all notes relates with that tag and the related ones with the nested... because they are nordic countries also... 

Just in the same way as the nested notebooks... 

15 replies to this idea

Hi everyone! 

I have been playing for a while with the nested tags feature and I do not get it at all... Can anyone explain me this feature further? 

I would think that I would be a very good feature if when you choose the parent tag of the nested ones you could see all the content of the nested ones. In that way it would be a very great feature that reduce que amount of tags that you use per note. 

For example: 

Is you have notes for different countries like, Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark... And you have different notes with that tags. Yet, you have other notes that are related in general to nordic countries... and you nest the country tags under the nordic countries tag... When you search by tag, by nordic countries tag, you should can see all notes relates with that tag and the related ones with the nested... because they are nordic countries also... 

Just in the same way as the nested notebooks...

Tags nest for organizational purposes. IOW, you can shorten the tag list to navigate it more easily. As you have found out, applying a child tag does not apply the parent tag. This is not a bug but by design. This has been discussed already in several threads. Please search the board, if you want more information.

There are no nested notebooks in Evernote. There are notebooks & stacks that group notebooks. But stacks do not contain notes.

+1 lpuerto. I tried nested tags years ago and use tags heavily but don't nest them as it just confuses things since they don't work the way one would expect regardless of whether that is intentional on ENs part or not.

"the way one would expect" is not universal nor definitive.  ACDSee Photo Manager, a well respected photo organizer that has been around for several years (and is not inexpensive), treats tags the same way. 

+1 lpuerto. I tried nested tags years ago and use tags heavily but don't nest them as it just confuses things since they don't work the way one would expect regardless of whether that is intentional on ENs part or not.

"the way one would expect" is not universal nor definitive.  ACDSee Photo Manager, a well respected photo organizer that has been around for several years (and is not inexpensive), treats tags the same way. 

Yeah, but Gmail labels (aka tags) work exactly like CMagnuson describes and wants.  It's just logical - you create a taxonomy and your search should abide by it.  It's illogical the way Evernote tag search is designed.

• Level 5*

Yeah, but Gmail labels (aka tags) work exactly like CMagnuson describes and wants.  It's just logical - you create a taxonomy and your search should abide by it.  It's illogical the way Evernote tag search is designed.

Actually, I don't believe that they do. I use nested labels in GMail myself, for example I have "Fun"and "Fun/Games". When search on "Fun", I don't get emails labelled with "Fun/Games" included. Unless I've missed some GMail trick, this doesn't work as the original poster wants.

Actually, I don't believe that they do. I use nested labels in GMail myself, for example I have "Fun"and "Fun/Games". When search on "Fun", I don't get emails labelled with "Fun/Games" included. Unless I've missed some GMail trick, this doesn't work as the original poster wants.

innovation sometimes happen because you hear people. 

Just because google may or may not have it, this would be a nice feature and it belongs in Evernote.

I agree with lpuerto, CMagnuson, and vlory, and was quite disappointed that nesting didn't work the way they describe, The organizational aspect of nesting is a nice feature, but power functionality only starts with the tags behaving like a family of parent and children in searches. It would not only make searching much easier, and more powerful, it would also improve the tagging experience itself. In the current situation I simultaneously have a greater need for more tags, as well as the contradicting need to limit the creation of tags, since more tags complicates tagging right for search purposes. If nesting works with the desired functionality, I could actually reduce my tags, wouldn's have to think as hard about naming them, and most importantly, wouldn't need to tag notes with multiple related tags (which is easy to forget). Only one tag from a hierarchy will suffice.

Johanhendrik (Windows 7 user)

• Level 5

The nested (hierarchical) tag structure is a good suggestion. But I have to be realistic - it has been suggested by many Evernote customers for several years with little-to-no-feedback from the corporation that they will ever go down that road.

For a variety of reasons, I have a lot of tags (over 1,400 at last count).

Here is the work-around solution I use to manage and remember my tags.
http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/50676-feature-suggestion-option-for-nested-tags-to-filter-by-parent-tag/#entry251605

• Level 5*

Just because google may or may not have it, this would be a nice feature and it belongs in Evernote.

"innovation sometimes happen because you hear people." ?? I have no idea what this means, or what relation it had to what I actually posted.

kweirman made a claim about how GMail labels work. I was surprised, because my experience is that that GMail doesn't behave that way, and that's what I posted, along with an opening to show where I might be incorrect. That's all. I implied nothing about what Evernote's behavior should or shouldn't be, and my post contained noting that should make anyone think differently. As it happens, I've been in favor in favor of having Evernote search take advantage of tag nesting for over 4 years and have posted on it many times -- including specific recommendations via-a-vis the search query language, and UI operations -- in these forums.

The nested (hierarchical) tag structure is a good suggestion. But I have to be realistic - it has been suggested by many Evernote customers for several years with little-to-no-feedback from the corporation that they will ever go down that road.

For a variety of reasons, I have a lot of tags (over 1,400 at last count).

Here is the work-around solution I use to manage and remember my tags.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/50676-feature-suggestion-option-for-nested-tags-to-filter-by-parent-tag/#entry251605

Thank you for your suggestion! Glad to hear there are many other customers with the same wish, sad to hear that it is not picked up by Evernote.

"innovation sometimes happen because you hear people." ?? I have no idea what this means, or what relation it had to what I actually posted.

kweirman made a claim about how GMail labels work. I was surprised, because my experience is that that GMail doesn't behave that way, and that's what I posted, along with an opening to show where I might be incorrect. That's all. I implied nothing about what Evernote's behavior should or shouldn't be, and my post contained noting that should make anyone think differently. As it happens, I've been in favor in favor of having Evernote search take advantage of tag nesting for over 4 years and have posted on it many times -- including specific recommendations via-a-vis the search query language, and UI operations -- in these forums.

Been a while since I've been here - but just wanted to let you know that Gmail does work the way I described but you may get unexpected results since it only does the top couple hits.  To use your example, if I have labels "Fun" and "Fun/Games" if I search on "Fun" I'll get both labels.  If I search on "Games" I'll get "Fun/Games" as one of the hits.  Another better way to do this is to use the "Label:" syntax in your search to only look for labels (aka tags).

• Level 5

Am I right that nested tags no longer work (at least on the Mac?) Oh no!  I've just taken the time to think through how I'd like to apply M. Hyatt's ideas to my info and now I can't seem to create nested tags.  Please bring them back!

No need to bring them back; They didn’t go anywhere. Nested tags still work in the Mac client.

Am I right that nested tags no longer work (at least on the Mac?) Oh no!  I've just taken the time to think through how I'd like to apply M. Hyatt's ideas to my info and now I can't seem to create nested tags.  Please bring them back!

No need to bring them back; They didn’t go anywhere. Nested tags still work in the Mac client.

I've never used nested tags, but went to give it a try today – doesn't seem to be working on the Mac client. I'm using version 6.0.5. Others seem to be having the same problem.

Obviously, EN Nested Tags NT do not work by intuition, let's be frank and declare them USELESS!

I use Multiple Tags MT, i e add tags one after the other

But that too must be handled with care or you will end up in a total mess of tag hierarchy.

Archived