Problem with Two Step Verification for free users

I'm a free user and was interested in setting up 2-factor auth for my evernote account.

I went to my account settings on the website and saw the 'Two-step Verification' section with an enable button next to it (pic attached)post-155842-0-49035000-1381339629_thumb.

I clicked on 'enable' and followed all the steps (email verification, sms verification, hand-writing backup codes, setting up google authenticator)

Once I got all the way through the process it says it was successful, but 2fa was not set up on my account. That's when I noticed the little marketing box near the bottom with a call to action 'go premium' that said 'get a premium account to use 2fa'.

I know I should've read that box more closely before going through the setup process, but the 'enable' button should definitely not be on for free users if they can't use the service. The whole setup process wasted about 5 minutes of time and could've been avoided.

Two followups--have you tried going back through the process by any chance, and what browser and version are you seeing this on?

If you've run into this twice and are able to reproduce this may be a bug and we'll definitely look into it.  This is not expected behavior (I've yet to be able to reproduce).

Hi all,

I have the exact same problem.

I went through the full procedure twice, with codes being sent to my cellular, printing the backup codes, EV asking me for one of those to verify that I have them (clever!)... and at the end it says "Two-Step Verification is not enabled" (as it said at the beginning) and I can log in from any device using just my password.

I've sent a question (number #195024, in spanish) but I'm yet waiting for an answer (sent it only yesterday).

Cheers!

Juan Carlos---

@ApuntesCiencia

Sorry about this.  Has you retried the set up?  It appears that a retry takes care of it--at least for one other user reporting.  We haven't been able to reproduce internally, so looking for more cases is definitely helpful.

• 5 months later...

I am a free user and I have tried to get 2 step authentication to install. Evernote goes through the whole process and comes out cleanly at the end when I input my password, but it still shows 2 step not installed. I have tried at least 10 times.

Fixed. The process is time consuming and if you aren't very quick it fails even though everything looks normal. Another thing--on the iPhone after scanning the QR code or the string into authenticator and generating a key for the 2step, the 2step install process rejects the key, even after several different keys are generated, so the install process cannot continue. This does not happen on the iPad.

The reason the 2factor install took long enough to fail was that I am using the authenticator on two devices. This entails copying the code string or Qcode to both devices and a backup site (since I learned the hard way that replacing a failed phone means reinstalling 2 step all over again on all devices to get it on the new phone if you haven't kept a copy of the Qcode image or the text string to reinstall in authenticator on the new device). I finally got the dexterity to do it fast enough to work.

• 8 months later...

i have problem too

I  lost my Google authenticator app.

and Now

When i want Sign in to my another Account

I can't Recive SMS Code for sing in !!!

I click on Bottom " sms code via phone number"

but

Not happening !!!

please help me

i have very important Info and file on my account.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I am a free user and facing the same issue...tried to enable 2fa multiple times....it says successfull every time but but upon login to evernote it indicates 2fa is not enabled and need to repeat the process... which i have done many times but without success.

Details:

Laptop : Mac Pro

Chrome browser : Version 51.0.2704.103 (64-bit)

Issue can be easily reproduced on my machine & happy to share any info required to resolve the issue.

Regards, Atul

2 minutes ago, atul_kamat@hotmail.com said:

I am a free user and facing the same issue...tried to enable 2fa multiple times....it says successfull every time but but upon login to evernote it indicates 2fa is not enabled and need to repeat the process... which i have done many times but without success.

Details:

Laptop : Mac Pro

Chrome browser : Version 51.0.2704.103 (64-bit)

Issue can be easily reproduced on my machine & happy to share any info required to resolve the issue.

Regards, Atul

Hey! Please try updating the Chrome browser, then fully quit and relaunch Chrome, and attempt to re-enable 2FA. If you run into the same thing, are you able to try a second browser to see if the same behavior occurs?

• 10 months later...

I'm having the same problem as numerous others above. OS X 10.12.5, Firefox 52.2.1 (64-bit) . "Enrolled" a  few times and went to apparently successful completion. Quit app in Firefox and the Evernote app. Evernote app and Web let me log it without required 2fa.

I'm not willing to switch to Chrome.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

****SOLVED*** (for my situation at least)

UPDATE:
I'm experiencing this as well through the Windows Evernote app. I fixed it by disabling 2fa on my *Gmail account* on my laptop. If you are using a google account, the *Google 2fa* (NOT Evernote 2fa) process through the Evernote app is broken. I turned on my 2fa again through Google and my Evernote hasn't lost access, so it appears to be a one off fix.

This has been an issue since 2013?

Archived