(Archived) Mac user would like to know how to pack up and mover Evernote?

garnold

Idea

I just rebuilt my MBP and since all my notebooks sync it was very easy to move Evernote to the fresh install. Question is, what would I have had to do if the notebooks where local? I'd like to start using Evernote even more to contain some much larger files that I will not be syncing up to the cloud. So that means these notebooks will be local and might make moving Evernote next time a little bit more challenging. Just would like to know what the process would be if I have to do this again sometime soon. Thank you :)

2 replies to this idea

I just rebuilt my MBP and since all my notebooks sync it was very easy to move Evernote to the fresh install. Question is, what would I have had to do if the notebooks where local? I'd like to start using Evernote even more to contain some much larger files that I will not be syncing up to the cloud. So that means these notebooks will be local and might make moving Evernote next time a little bit more challenging. Just would like to know what the process would be if I have to do this again sometime soon. Thank you :)

First, I'm not Mac.

Second, there are apparently three potential places on a Mac where your database is stored, depending upon where you downloaded the Mac client.  Please search the board for more info on this topic.

Third, having said all that, here's a post by Heather (an EN wizard) helping someone restore their tags from a Time Machine backup.  It would seem steps #1 & #2 are the critical parts to moving a Mac database from one computer to another (or restoring after a crash), once you determine where the database is located.  (The subsequent steps are specific to that user & their tag problem.)

But again, I'm not Mac & can't address this specifically.  I have, however, successfully done a similar process on PCs many times.  It's also helpful even if you have all sync'd notes but have a lot of them, since it saves the time of downloading all the notes to a new/different computer.  IE, trying to keep a slow computer (or one with no internet connection) in sync with your main computer.

First, I'm not Mac.

Second, there are apparently three potential places on a Mac where your database is stored, depending upon where you downloaded the Mac client.  Please search the board for more info on this topic.

Third, having said all that, here's a post by Heather (an EN wizard) helping someone restore their tags from a Time Machine backup.  It would seem steps #1 & #2 are the critical parts to moving a Mac database from one computer to another (or restoring after a crash), once you determine where the database is located.  (The subsequent steps are specific to that user & their tag problem.)

But again, I'm not Mac & can't address this specifically.  I have, however, successfully done a similar process on PCs many times.  It's also helpful even if you have all sync'd notes but have a lot of them, since it saves the time of downloading all the notes to a new/different computer.  IE, trying to keep a slow computer (or one with no internet connection) in sync with your main computer.

Thank you very much for your reply. Are there any Mac users out there that can give me their 2 cents on this so I can understand the steps? I'd hate to invest the time putting everything I have file wise into Evernote to later find out I'm in trouble if my machine needs to be changed out again.

Archived