(Archived) do notes in local notebook count against total account note limit?

leanns480

• Level 5*

Interesting question - the contents of local notes don't count towards your upload limit,  so logically the notes themselves shouldn't count towards an overall limit;  but if it's of interest and importance to you I suggest you query the support team for confirmation.  If you wouldn't mind confirming their response when you get one I'd be interested too. (Though I'm a long way short of the total yet...)

• Level 5

I know that there is a total limit on notes in Evernote of 100,000.. My question is do notes in local notebooks count against this limit since they aren't sync'd?

No, as long as you put them directly into the local notebook. I used to have a couple local non-sync'd notebooks.

If you put them into the default notebook and move them, there is a chance the automatic sync will catch them first and then you will be hit with the upload.

BUT... keep in mind the local notes are your responsibility to back up regularly. If Evernote crashes and you have to reinstall, the local notes will not be in the cloud. I have seen some unhappy campers on this forum pleading for Evernote staff to locate those missing notes.

I've been using Evernote Premium for 4 years. Currently have 25,000 notes - Premium membership - no local notebooks anymore. Even with all my scanned documents and web captures going into sync'd notebooks, I've never hit the monthly cap. The big bandwidth hogs, such as my high-resolution photos, do not go to Evernote. I store them on services designed for photos - Flickr, Picas, etc.

Another option: If you're just starting off with the free version of Evernote, you can buy one month of Premium to capture the pile of stuff you might want to add. If that is not enough, you can buy additional upload capability.

• Level 5*

I'll bet BurgersNFries and GrumpyMonkey know...

It appears JB2 does too..    :D

Just for the conversation I found another drawback of local notes recently - I upgraded the laptop so (of course) just installed Evernote,  logged in and waited for my notes to download.  Took a couple of days to catch up,  but it was completely painless.  Until I remembered today that my account had a lot of local notes that I didn't export over.  Fortunately the 'old' lappy is still alive and well and in my possession,  so that's a chore to catch up on.  But it was scarily easy to forget that I had an important body of notes that only existed on my personal hard drive...

I do a backup to an external source every day. I use EN for my recipe collection with each recipe in it's own note so I can tag each one for organization. My collection is very, very large (possibly over 100,000) thus the reason for using EN to organize it so I can find what I want. Also a lot of my recipes are scans and I was going thru my premium upload limit plus the purchased extra gig a month within the first 10 days of the month. This is the reason for my question because I would hate to get close to the 100,000 only to find out that I have to make another account. I have one sync'd notebook but the only thing I use it for is recipes I clip from the web very rarely. Thank you for the quick responses to my question.

• Level 5*

If you open the left-hand panel to see the list of notebooks and tags,  you should also see the total number of current notes (or tags) in each.  If you do have close to 100,000 recipe notes I'd be impressed if you have any time at all to cook from them - plus if you ever decide to cater an Evernote meal,  count me in! (Sorry it's late here and I haven't eaten yet..)   :(

The official word from Evernote Support:

Thanks for contacting us. 
No, notes in local notebooks do not count towards your maximun number of notes, and local notebooks do not count against your total number of synced notebooks. You can have as many notes in local notebooks as you would like.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Jesus Mendivil
Evernote

• Level 5

For people who are just reading this - keep in mind that local non-sync'd notebooks are not backed up.

If your data is lost or corrupted, Evernote will not be able to retrieve it. Backing up is 100% the responsibility of the user.

Archived