[Request] Manual sort order of Notebooks and Tag list

gatorbrit

Alphabetical is all you get. The closest thing you can do put them in stacks. But the stacks are still alphabetical & the notebooks are alphabetical under stacks. If you want a notebook up top, so it's easy to get to, you can use something (I use underscore _) as a prefix.

• Level 5
How can I change the order in which notebooks appear in the windows or mac client. For example, I don't want them alphabetical.

Thanks

If you think you will have less than 100 notebooks, use numbers 001 through 999 followed by the title.

You will have to sync, then log off and sign back in for the change to show up. (at least on my machine)

If you think you will have less than 100 notebooks, use numbers 001 through 999 followed by the title.

You can have 250 notebooks. And if you used numbers incremented by 1, that would be 001-250. Using 001 - 999 would be 999 notebooks.

A better alternative, if you were to use this method, would be to use say, 00100, 00200, 00300, 00400, etc. as the prefix. That way, you can add notebooks in between 00100 & 00200 by using 00120 or 00150 without having to renumber all the subsequent notebooks.

• Level 5
Many thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the numbering approach. I had messed with putting different symbols in front but I didn't realize that I had to log out and re-sync to get it to show up.

Cheers

Rich

You're welcome. Glad to help. The sync + log out / log in process works for me, but I have not seen anything in writing from Evernote to support my suggestion.

• 1 year later...

Alphabetical is all you get. The closest thing you can do put them in stacks. But the stacks are still alphabetical & the notebooks are alphabetical under stacks. If you want a notebook up top, so it's easy to get to, you can use something (I use underscore _) as a prefix.

Not true. My Notebooks do not appear to be sorted in any apparent order. For example:

Funnies

Justine

Medical

Chores

and so on.

These are noetbooks - not notes. There's no apparent way to sort them.

Not true. My Notebooks do not appear to be sorted in any apparent order. For example:

Funnies

Justine

Medical

Chores

and so on.

These are noetbooks - not notes. There's no apparent way to sort them.

If you are using the Windows client, yes it is true the notebooks are arranged alphabetically.  IIRC, a while ago, there was/is a buggy thing where they were not when you initially created the notebooks.  (IE, if 'chores' was newly created, it might be after 'medical').  But when you exited & reinvoked the app, they were arranged correctly/alphabetically & 'chores' would appear above 'funnies'.  However, in the most current version(s), I'm not seeing this bug.  If you are using an older version of the Windows client, this may be what you're seeing.

On Windows desktop application:

To get the notebooks to appear in alphabetic order it is true that Evernote needs to be stopped and restarted. This means that you must 'quit' the application from the task area on the right hand side of the tool bar. Just closing the Evernote window isn't enough.

On Windows desktop application:

To get the notebooks to appear in alphabetic order it is true that Evernote needs to be stopped and restarted. This means that you must 'quit' the application from the task area on the right hand side of the tool bar. Just closing the Evernote window isn't enough.

um...to reiterate...

However, in the most current version(s), I'm not seeing this bug.  If you are using an older version of the Windows client, this may be what you're seeing.

Using 4.6.6.8376...I've created at least seven new notebooks & they all fall alphabetically in order w/o having to exit EN. 

• 2 months later...

Ascending Sort Order for Notebooks

To quickly put a notebook in alphabetical order:

- Right click the notebook and select ADD TO STACK

- Right click the notebook, now within the stack, and select REMOVE FROM STACK

The note will be removed from the stack and placed in the correct order. This is much easier than logging off the ap and logging back in.

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping that v5 would allow for manual sort orders of Notebooks and tags, but it doesn't appear to. However, perhaps I am doing something wrong as the horizontal black bar appears when trying to move a notebook to a different location. In other words, it appears to allow for moving, but then doesn't perform the move. Any thoughts?

Sure wish this was possible - seems like a basic feature many users would want.

I was hoping that v5 would allow for manual sort orders of Notebooks and tags, but it doesn't appear to. However, perhaps I am doing something wrong as the horizontal black bar appears when trying to move a notebook to a different location. In other words, it appears to allow for moving, but then doesn't perform the move. Any thoughts?

Sure wish this was possible - seems like a basic feature many users would want.

As Jeff said, it's alphabetic & has been since version 3.1. Doubtful EN will ever implement manual ordering. This has been discussed before. Please search the board if you want more info on the topic.

• Level 5*

Bring it back? From which version? If it existed before 3.1, it's been gone for over 4 years. My experience with the pre-3 series was fleeting (didn't like the timeline).

Thanks, was just hoping version 5 would bring it back. I will look up the other discussions - can't imagine why anyone would object to having such a feature.

Not everything has to be about anyone (other users) objecting to something. Instead, it's what Evernote decides to do or not to do. Sometimes a feature doesn't fit with what they are about. Sometimes a feature is difficult or problematic to roll out on all the platforms or won't scale well. Sometimes it's a matter of other things having a higher priority. Or maybe the feature doesn't make sense or poses other and/or greater issues the requestor hasn't anticipated (as with this feature as mentioned in other threads - like what happens when you move a manually ordered note to a different notebook).

• 2 weeks later...

The sort order seems to be alphabetic, though symbols all seem to sort ahead of numbers and letters.  I was a bit surprised that '{', '}', and '~' don't sort after 'z'.  That would make a nicer visual appearance than prefixing notebook names with 'z' to get them at the bottom of the list (even in stacks.)

• Level 5*

The sort order seems to be alphabetic, though symbols all seem to sort ahead of numbers and letters.  I was a bit surprised that '{', '}', and '~' don't sort after 'z'.  That would make a nicer visual appearance than prefixing notebook names with 'z' to get them at the bottom of the list (even in stacks.)

A number of users use special non-alphanumeric characters to force frequently used tags, notebooks and stacks to the tops of their respective lists. Note that these can sort differently in clients for different operating systems, if I recall other user comments correctly.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Any updates on this feature request? Not being able to sort manually is a big issue for me and one of the reasons why I haven't upgraded to a pro account yet. Prefixing with numbers could work but it's not very nice. Also if you use emoji on Mac or iOS that will ***** up the alphabetical sort - obviously.

• Level 5*

Any updates on this feature request? Not being able to sort manually is a big issue for me and one of the reasons why I haven't upgraded to a pro account yet. Prefixing with numbers could work but it's not very nice. Also if you use emoji on Mac or iOS that will ***** up the alphabetical sort - obviously.

You likely wouldn't see any "update" until you see it implemented, either in a release or a beta product. One thing that you *can* do is sort reminders manually. I understand that that's not exactly what you want.

• 1 year later...

Archived