Alternative Syncronization

Hi There,

I'm using Evernote in my private live for a quite while. What make Evernote special to me is the combination of digital world and analog Evernote Moleskine Notebook.

Now I wanted to adopt this great opportunity into my business area. However, and here come the crutshes, due to our company's IT policy, we are not allowed to use any cloud tools that stores information/data outside our company network storage realm. I mean, I'm absolutely in line with that policy. Companies has to secure their intellectual property (IP). But the same gives you limitation also. Outlook's notes that can be synced via Exchange Server is not a good option at all.

So wondering if there's a different way to sync an offline notebook, not using Evernote's cloud syncronization. E.g. using the Evernote App to sync via W-Lan or USB connected mobile devices.

Not sure if such alternative ways of notebook syncronization is part of Evernote's product policy? As somehow you have to earn some money.

I think is worth to evaluate the question about alternative sync methods. There are a lot of people became doubtful since the PRISM desaster and the way NSA practice to access to data, stored on US based cloud servers. I don't want to start discussion on this topic, please don't reply to that.

I'm only interessted in alternative sync methods for my working envoriment and perhaps when I have my owncloud up and running I could continue use Evernote with my owncloud. Personally I'm fine to pay for an Evernote Version that offers alternative sync methods, like owncloud sync or via USB/WLAN, if Evernote would not earn money for this option. It would give benefit to me, which is worth some money to pay.

Thx for ur reply!

• Level 5*

If there are any, they are likely not supported by Evernote, who have said in the past that they are not interested in providing such services (e.g. http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/14227-request-force-lan-sync/). Goole for "sync evernote LAN" and you'll get some results that might be of interest, a lot of them point back into the forums here.

As Dave said in the thread Jeff linked to, EN has stated this is not something they plan on doing. The fact that all their clients are free and the fact that they are a cloud service & that's how they make their money would tend to indicate they will not change their mind.

• 6 months later...

I have the same issue as MrTR909. Our company does not allow notes to be synced via a cloud service. We would certainly be willing to pay for a feature that would let us sync a local notebook on a computer via LAN or USB, to a local notebook on a mobile device. EN is a great app but we can't use it fully without such local sync.

I understand that it may be difficult for EN to add LAN sync for synced notebooks, since the cloud is the master, but perhaps it would be possible to implement LAN or USB sync for local notebooks only? I don't think we're the only ones who would welcome such a feature. Especially these days with all the NSA scandals etc, many people and companies are reluctant to put sensitive data in the cloud.

Does anyone knows if such a feature would even be considered?

• Level 5*

I have the same issue as MrTR909. Our company does not allow notes to be synced via a cloud service. We would certainly be willing to pay for a feature that would let us sync a local notebook on a computer via LAN or USB, to a local notebook on a mobile device. EN is a great app but we can't use it fully without such local sync.

I understand that it may be difficult for EN to add LAN sync for synced notebooks, since the cloud is the master, but perhaps it would be possible to implement LAN or USB sync for local notebooks only? I don't think we're the only ones who would welcome such a feature. Especially these days with all the NSA scandals etc, many people and companies are reluctant to put sensitive data in the cloud.

Does anyone knows if such a feature would even be considered?

Asking support (see my signature) is your best bet, but I think this is exceedingly unlikely to be implemented. I'd love to have it myself. However, Evernote has given no indication(that I know of) of this.

Archived