Feature request: Highlighting in note w/out keyboard up

zebohunt

Idea

I know that highlighting is currently available, but THIS would be awesome:

The ability to open a note (I'm talking iPad/iPhone) WITHOUT the keyboard coming up, and to highlight simply by touch and dragging across the text you want (this works fantastically in the Kindle app).

This would be tremendously popular with students and people like me who like to clip articles and highlight like mad. Currently it's just not handy, and so my use of Evernote has tapered off almost completely because of this

2 replies to this idea

I totally agree!

For traveling reasons, I do a lot of reading on my iphone. I see that I am not alone with this idea, so thanks for that :-) EN is a note taking tool, so at some point notes need to be read! And when you read, you stumble upon good stuff. So you highlight. Except, that what happens is far from ideal: you read, you see something you want to highlight so you press it, so the paragraph gets selected and you get the choice to copy or define :-( so you tap lightly and then, bam, half of the screen real estate becomes occupied by a keyboard you do not want to use because you are not typing, you are reading and all you want to do is highlight. So you select the formatting bar, and bam again, you get even more space occupied. So now you have four or five visible lines left and good luck with the selecting process. 

Again, I totally agree, it would be so nice to have the ability to do a "special" tap and then only have the formatting bar come up and leave the 90% remaining screen for reading and selecting.

Not that I want to make anyone jealous at EN, but Good Reader does this in a nice way ;-)

+1 current behavior is almost unintuitive
PDF highlighting could also be nicer if text based PDF were text rendered, so we could select a statement or a paragraph and highlight it with one tap (instead of current "drawing" behavior. I understand evernote is not a PDF reader nor tries to be, but since PDF annotation is being so advertised I imagine there's a larger than previous team looking on this and yeah, would be really nice to text-read pdf's -> we could have "define" easily w that too :)

Archived