David Eisner

windows Request: Escape Key should *not* close note window

Idea

In Evernote for Windows 5, if I press the Escape key when a note is open in its own window, the note window is closed. This behavior is unexpected -- no other windows application I know of uses the Escape key to close a window. This has bitten me a few times.

The only shortcut keys that make sense are ALT+F4 and CTRL+F4. The Escape key should only be used to stop or cancel a task.

From the Microsoft Windows UX Design Guidelines:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa511331.aspx#keyboard

Don't assign different meanings to well-known shortcut keys. Because they are memorized, inconsistent meanings for well-known shortcuts are frustrating and error prone. For the well-known shortcut keys used by Windows programs, see Windows Keyboard Shortcut Keys.

And also:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms971323.aspx#atg_keyboardshortcuts_windows_shortcut_keys

Windows Shortcut Keys

As noted in the Designing the Keyboard UI section, it is important for applications to be consistent with other applications when using shortcut keys. This section introduces a series of shortcut keys that are used in Windows. To be consistent with other Windows-based applications, it is recommended that you map shortcut keys in a similar way. For more information, see General Shortcut Keys for Applications.

-David

• Like 8

23 replies to this idea

Well done David!

Thanks for posting the Microsoft Windows UX Design Guidelines.

I do hope someone will pass this on to the EN Dev team.

So many developers today have forgotten that following these guidelines is one of the key ingredients to making the app intuitive.

They seem more concerned with looking cool and being different than they do with actual usability.

BTW, I'm not sure if it is in the guidelines, but CTRL+W has been a shortcut for closing a window for many, many years.

Yes, it's taken me quite a while to retrain myself NOT to hit <escape> when I've finished editing a note. It would be great if the behaviour was consistent with other apps.

Ctrl-F4 is the Windows standard for closing individual windows - NOT escape! The very least you could do is make this configurable with the other short cut keys.

+1

Many times it bothers me and I need to keep in mind don't touch the ESC key.

There is a workaround by using AutoHotkey to disable the Esc button when Evernote is in use.

#IfWinActive, ahk_class ENSingleNoteView
Esc::return

This basically disables the Esc button when Evernote is being used. For those that still want the functionality of Esc, I have changed the key to shift+Esc below

+Esc::send {Esc}
#IfWinActive
return

Esc::
MsgBox,,,Button disabled use Shift+Esc, 1
WinActivate, ahk_class ENSingleNoteView
#IfWinActive
return

+1. This unconventional binding for ESC key is really annoying,though chance to  see positive change in near future is just too thin, since only few are complaining.  

+1

ESC moves focus from note editor panel/window to note list,
but I don't think this feature is worth of binding to ESC.
At least, it shouldn't close the note editor window,
especially when the main window is hidden.

PS: I'm a vimer, so...when the end of typing, an ESC always comes. (ಡωಡ)

+1, this annoys the ***** out of me so often...

Is there no workaround possible? Maybe with an outside program to suppress the signal?

On 9/8/2018 at 11:14 PM, Dyon said:

+1, this annoys the ***** out of me so often...

Is there no workaround possible? Maybe with an outside program to suppress the signal?

Of course, you can totally suppress the key with an outside program. I don't say which one because I don't want to give credits to the developers doing anything an then simply saying to use "this or this program" to cancel the key. They must simply remove it.

On 10/1/2013 at 3:49 PM, David Eisner said:

no other windows application I know of uses the Escape key to close a window

Just an FYI, MS Outlook new email composing window will close with the ESC key. 

However, I would agree with this request too. Although, I generally do not pop notes out, and but when I do, I have accidentally hit ESC many times. Up voting.

I vote against this suggestion. The Escape key to close is something I have enjoyed from the early days and continue to use all the time. Please ensure this valuable feature is not lost.

Outlook also closes the individual Email window on an Escape key.

It does not have any effect on the mail Outlook window.

Evernote functionality is identical to Outlook in this respect.

I like the Escape-to-close and would be sorely disappointed should it be removed. Alt-F4 is tedious.

This infuriates me every single time I hit Esc to get out of find mode... I've been using Evernote for years now, but for some reason I cannot adjust to this terrible re-purposing of such a common key!

Please fix this or at least make this optional for those who have gotten used to it.

What a stupid simple thing to fix, ignored for 6 years.  When I alt-tab between Evernote and a vim session, I'm constantly hitting escape, losing my place, and having to track down my note again.  Often times it even closes the note without saving the last few moments of typing.  

Evernote behaves *exactly* the same as Outlook. Why are you not complaining to Microsoft about Outlook then?

Outlook closes an email on Escape, but this doesn't affect the main window. Precisely as Evernote have implemented it.

When my team are developing apps we would look to mimic popular behaviour as this is the most familiar.

Outlook does *not* have an option to control this. I put it to you that Outlook has at least as many users as Evernote.

10 hours ago, DavidPierson said:

Evernote behaves *exactly* the same as Outlook. Why are you not complaining to Microsoft about Outlook then?

Outlook closes an email on Escape, but this doesn't affect the main window. Precisely as Evernote have implemented it.

No it does not :) 
With a read-only window, yes (an existing email).
But once you are in write-mode (composing a new email), pressing Escape pops up a "Are you sure?" dialog.

And that's exactly the point - pressing escape when editing is a common operation. Especially in MS programs, where shortcut operation these days (as compared to the 90's/00's) are multi-key operations (as with VI/Emacs/whatever).

Yes it does 😀

Because in Outlook there is a choice of saving or not saving.

In Evernote it is automatically saved
There is not any possibility of asking the Evernote user whether they wish to save.
So Evernote is equivalent to Outlook with an unedited email i.e. a read-only window.

Both exit on an Escape key.

And Evenote behaves the same as Outlook in this respect of the Escape key, and should remain so.

Not sure what the issue is really, just don't press the key. There are many keys on the keyboard, the Esc is located well out of the way.

Kind regards

David