lpeeples

ScanSnap Evernote Edition

Idea

I am a scansnap user with EN.  I noticed the new EN scanner with custom software and emailed support about making the software available to existing scanner users.  Unfortunately they said I would have to buy the new scanner.  thats very unfortunate.  EN should make it available to all users.  I get you want to to sell hardware but you shouldn't alienate current users of the scanner.

2 people like this

239 replies to this idea

We are planning to remove the Scan to Evernote exclusivity requirement and raise the maximum quality in a software update. 

Disclosures since there are lots of new folks here:

- We read every forum post although we may not always respond.

- Evernote does not disclose timelines. 

Thanks so much to everyone for your comments. This is v1 of the scanner so we appreciate the constructive feedback. Keep it coming!

Thank you for this post, it's encouraging to see.

I've been wanting a ScanSnap for a long while now (have set up a few for friends, family and clients  and was always very impressed.)  I have been saving up for the über-capable iX500, and decided to take the plunge with the introduction of the Evernote Edition.  I paid the $90 premium thinking it'll do everything the iX500 can do -- and then some -- with some super-sexy "Evernote integration" that can only be found in this version of the scanner.  I received it last week and have been running it through the paces.

I will say this: if Evernote is your primary application for storing/sorting your scans, this scanner appears to be a wiser choice than the iX500.  The software is certainly more elegant, easier to deal with than "ScanSnap Manager."  It's a bit less obtrusive, and seems more intuitive and "smarter" to me.  

And we've all heard that the ScanSnap iOS app is clunky to the point of being unusable, so not having compatibility with that doesn't bother me that much.  It's just as easy with this one to scan to Evernote and/or Dropbox, and use those iOS apps to get the scan, with one less app on the smartphone homescreen to deal with.  I can't say that's an omission I'm too bummed about.

But what needs to be beefed up (even just a little bit) is the flexibility of this scanner when we use it for NON Evernote functions.  Like, if I want to simply make a printed copy of a document for someone, or if I just want to email a scan, and don't want Evernote involved with the scan at all.  Having to plan ahead, changing the settings so that it scans to a local Notebook instead, and/or then having to delete that scan from Evernote afterwards (and then change the settings back so that future scans go to a Synchronized notebook default again) is too. much. work.  Which means right now, if you plan to use the ScanSnap for other purposes and/or with other apps, the ix500 would the wiser, more flexible choice, and is $90 cheaper to boot.

For the ScanSnap Evernote edition to be a clearcut winner on all fronts, all I'd really like to see a setting, or toggle, that simply allows us to scan to our destination folder, and NOT also to Evernote.  (I'd also like to see an option for destination folder that says "Ask Every Time.")  From the destination folder, of course, we could do whatever we wanted with those files.  We could drag and drop them anywhere, or just open/import them into another app of our choice.  And we could switch that toggle whenever our intentions change.  Alongside that, a panel of shortcut buttons would be AWESOME to see (ie: print, email, and other customizable PDF-friendly app shortcuts, a la ScanSnap Manager.)

And so I am happy to see the post above, that Evernote will be improving upon this v1 of the scanner, with software updates to make it more flexible. As much as I love Evernote, I'd hate to see this scanner be thought of as an inflexible, annoying lock-in.  

One of the reasons I love (and am impressed by Evernote) so much is that they are constantly working to improve their software and service.  I've chosen to stay optimistic that they will do the same with regards to this "flagship" Marketplace product.

What is return policy?

The Return Policy is here:

"To return a product purchased from the Evernote Market you must first contact Evernote Customer Support and obtain a return shipping label. All returns must have an Evernote-provided shipping label.

If you contact Evernote Customer Service within 30 days of receiving the product and our Customer Service team determines that the delivered products were not what you ordered, were delivered to you damaged or otherwise not conforming to their applicable warranty, then you will be eligible for a refund or replacement of such product.

Evernote will permit you to return products for a refund if you contact us within 14 days of your receipt of the products. The products must be unused and returned in their original packaging with all tags or labels intact. We will issue you a refund of the purchase price, reduced by any applicable shipping and handling fees, following our processing of your return. Products that are marked “Final Sale” are specially priced and not eligible to be returned or exchanged.

We do not accept returns or provide any refunds for purchases of Evernote Premium, Evernote Business, e-Books, or any other product available to you for use or download immediately after purchase."

(emphasis mine)

I'm still within my 14 day return window, although now that I've opened the box and used the product, if only to test it, I suppose the wording above means I am no longer eligible to return it, at least not without a fight.  I'll continue my testing though, with an open mind that if I discover some dealbreaker in the next few days, that I could return it to Evernote Market for a full refund.  I've saved all original packaging, tags and labels.

I will say,  Jackolicious' post above, that they are planning to "remove the Evernote exclusivity" and also "raise the maximum quality" is the one thing I needed to read to rest easy a bit, and feel less anxious about my decision to buy this product.  Because I feel like with those two enhancements, the SSEE will, in fact, do everything the ix500 can, and then some.  And at that point it'll be *worth* the $90 premium, for anyone.

hi Jackolicious,

Thanks for the earlier response .

I have three questions which I would appreciate if you could advise me :

1.  can I purchase and Evernote version of the scansnap scanner from Evernote – I am based in Australia

2. If I cannot purchase and Evernote version of the scanner – will a standard ix500 work with the Evernote software and take advantage of all the Evernote integrated features ?

3. Is it possible to obtain a firmware upgrade for a standard version Evernote scanner?

Thank you in advance for your assistance

. All the best

Pete

Yes. The scanner will first check for a USB connection, then a wifi connection. i.e. USB will take priority, but then it will also check for a wifi pair.

Appreciate the response, but I'm missing something.  

I received the scanner today, and tried the scenario as described.  How do I get the second computer to pair?  There doesn't seem to be a way to 'enable wifi scanning' on the second computer, even though I confirmed the scanner does run over Wifi to the first if USB is disconnected.

Other than that, quite pleased with the SSEE..

Here's what I've found.  In this example, I will configure Computer A to connect via USB and Computer B via WiFi.

Connect EN scanner via USB to Computer B.  Use ScanSnap Manager (icon in OSX menubar), Settings, WiFi to Enable WiFi, enable WiFi switch on back of scanner, then disconnect USB.  EN scanner is now configured to transmit scans via WiFi to Computer B.  

Connect EN scanner via USB to Computer A.  Computer B ScanSnap manager will soon indicate it cannot connect to scanner since only one interface is active at a time, and priority is given to USB.   Scanner now transmits scans to Computer A via USB.   To send scans back to Computer B, disconnect Computer A USB.  At this point, you won't be able to scan to either system until the scanner reconnects to Computer B.  You can force the connection by toggling the scanner WiFi switch from OFF to ON.  

That's it.  Now, connect USB to Computer A as needed, or disconnect Computer A USB to send scans to Computer B.

Great tip, thanks for sharing.  I have now clipped it to Evernote.   :)

Also discussed briefly here

Can I use my ScanSnap Evernote Edition with multiple computers?

Yes. The ScanSnap Evernote Edition will first scan to whichever computer is connected via the USB cord. If a USB connection is not available, the scanner will connect to your selected computer over a Wi-Fi connection. This means you can have the scanner connected to a computer via Wi-Fi and plug it in via USB to other computers when needed.

What I've done for now is hook up the SSEE to my iMac via USB, which scans to Evernote (of course.)  My MacBook Air syncs to the same Evernote, so my MacBook Air gets the same scan "wirelessly."  Of course this only works for me since both Macs are logged into the same Evernote account.  And it would also work with two Evernote accounts sharing the same notebook, but both users would need to be Evernote Premium customers in order to be able to share and have edit/write privileges for that notebook.  It's a cludgy workaround, but it works.

I would love, love, LOVE to see an option in the SSEE settings to allow us to toggle WiFi destinations directly and easily.  That way we could scan via USB to computer it's connected to, and easily select which computer on the same network it should scan to, via WiFi, without having to unplug or change anything.  Or better yet, be able to just scan to each wirelessly, switching destinations on-the-fly.

hi Jackolicious,

Thanks for the earlier response .

I have three questions which I would appreciate if you could advise me :

1.  can I purchase and Evernote version of the scansnap scanner from Evernote – I am based in Australia

2. If I cannot purchase and Evernote version of the scanner – will a standard ix500 work with the Evernote software and take advantage of all the Evernote integrated features ?

3. Is it possible to obtain a firmware upgrade for a standard version Evernote scanner?

Thank you in advance for your assistance

. All the best

Pete

I am not Jackolicious but I just wanted to chime in, your #2 question has been asked and answered a few times already.  The Evernote integrated features of the SSEE can only be used with the SSEE.  Folks have tried and they simply wont work with the iX500.  

http://evernote.com/partner/scansnap/guide/?external=1#5

If your #3 question means to ask "can the iX500 be converted into an SSEE via firmware upgrade?" I would bet dollars to donuts that the answer is no.  There are apparently some hardware differences (I think) that make the document size detection possible.  And even if not, it doesn't make much business sense for Evernote or ScanSnap to make these devices "convertible" in that way.  If your question is simply asking whether or not the SSEE will get firmware upgrades for better/new functionality in the future, well then, I have to believe that's possible, and we'll see what the future brings.

In regards to "Scan to Evernote exclusivity," how would you prevent private or sensitive documents (e.g., medical records) from being automatically uploaded to Evernote? I assume you could default to a local nonsynced notebook, but then you would have to manually add all other nonsensitive documents to Evernote.  This kind of defeats the point of the SSEE. Is there another way?

In regards to "Scan to Evernote exclusivity," how would you prevent private or sensitive documents (e.g., medical records) from being automatically uploaded to Evernote? I assume you could default to a local nonsynced notebook, but then you would have to manually add all other nonsensitive documents to Evernote.  This kind of defeats the point of the SSEE. Is there another way?

Since the SSEE already offers the ability to save scans to a folder on the computer (outside of Evernote) I am guessing that all we'd need is a checkbox to enable/disable the saving to Evernote by default.

I have a question about the SSEE's ability to scan business cards.  I am on a Mac and have enabled the LinkedIn integration.

#1) I see it scanned the back side of business cards, and those back sides are blank.  (Yes, I have "Remove Blank Pages" checked, but some of these cards have unrelated scribbles or tape marks that make it appear "not blank.") What I cannot figure out is how to remove/delete those back/unrelated sides in Evernote.  Is this possible?  Once imported into Evernote, can I delete an unwanted scanned business card PDF/attachment from a note?

#2) I see the option to "automatically add person to my Contacts" in Evernote's preferences.  I have this turned off as I don't want to add ALL my scanned business cards automatically as I scan, into my Contacts.  So my question is, where is the button to "add this person to my Contacts" manually afterwards?  So I could do it for a handful of people I *do* want entered into Contacts, and not everyone, automatically?  Surely this is possible?  The all-or-nothing approach doesn't work for me here.

Thanks for all of the questions/comments.

Pete_S: we can't comment on release plans. Just know that we are working to support demand from outside the US/Canada/Japan. And the software is part of the EE package.

I don't have any specific comments/answers to other questions (since we don't talk about release plans or timelines), BUT I can say that we are planning some pretty cool software upgrades with regards to filing capabilities :)

Hi Jackolicious,

now your really teasing me.... :)

I am going to write to your CEO and see if I can buy one of these units - I have credit card - Evernote has product - lets party! :D

all the best

Pete

I'm confused. I would love the convenience of scanning straight to Evernote, but with the EN version of the scanner, can you opt out of sending it to Evernote for the occasional scan. EG, if a colleague wants to use the scanner for a small document.

I'm confused. I would love the convenience of scanning straight to Evernote, but with the EN version of the scanner, can you opt out of sending it to Evernote for the occasional scan. EG, if a colleague wants to use the scanner for a small document.

Currently that's not possible, but we're told that the removal of "scan to Evernote exclusivity" is planned.  Read Jackolicious' post above.

Reply to Jackolicious:

Have you guys fixed the WiFi issue with the EN edition as reported by many users?

Jackolicious:  If I buy the EN version now, will EN be making firmware upgrades available - at no charge?  Just download as a registered user?

Jackolicious:  Here's what I posted to another thread.  Kindly reply.  I am a Premium EN user and intend to stay that way.  Love...love...love...EN.  I just need something that works.  Cannot...will not...spend $500 on something that does not work.  

"Thanks.  But the bummer is this:  I love EN.  I don't currently have a scanner and am really really really jazzed about going paperless and scanning most, if not all, my paper into EN.

i JUST WANT SOMETHING THAT WORKS.  AND I WANT FIRMWARE/SOFTWARE UPDATES TO IMPROVE THE EXPERIENCE AS THEY ARE MADE AVAILABLE.

I also want and NEED to make this purchase BEFORE December 31, 2013.  For tax and accounting reasons.

SO HURRY UP EVERNOTE...PLEASE.

Jackolicious:  Here's what I posted to another thread.  Kindly reply.  I am a Premium EN user and intend to stay that way.  Love...love...love...EN.  I just need something that works.  Cannot...will not...spend $500 on something that does not work.  

"Thanks.  But the bummer is this:  I love EN.  I don't currently have a scanner and am really really really jazzed about going paperless and scanning most, if not all, my paper into EN.

i JUST WANT SOMETHING THAT WORKS.  AND I WANT FIRMWARE/SOFTWARE UPDATES TO IMPROVE THE EXPERIENCE AS THEY ARE MADE AVAILABLE.

I also want and NEED to make this purchase BEFORE December 31, 2013.  For tax and accounting reasons.

SO HURRY UP EVERNOTE...PLEASE.

I don't understand your question for Jackolicious. Are you asking if the EN scanner works and if they will issue software updates over time? I think the answer to both questions would have to be "Yes!" It seems kind of unlikely that Jackolicious will post a message saying: "The scanner doesn't actually work and we are abandoning software development-- good luck suckers, I'm off to my vacation home in the Bahamas!" :)

I think you might actually have a different question in mind. When you say "works," what do you intend to do with it? If you could explain your use case, or point to a particular feature and ask what the operating parameters are (resolution, number of pages per scanned document, or something like that), then I imagine someone at Evernote could give you the information you need to make the decision.

I think in direct, 'consumer vernacular' terms, rsfrank wants to be assured an evernote edition scanner software update will roll out by Dec. 31 to address the feature requests proposed throughout this chain, before he reaches his personal deadline for purchasing a scanner.  

rsfrank: Jack (employee) has mentioned recently that evernote does not reveal software update timelines but that they are indeed working on fixes.  So maybe best bet is to wait it out until end of december and hope for the best? i know that doesn't offer any logic/reasoning you didn't already know and get your intention behind the post.. maybe we can hire Ed Snowden to leak their update timelines ;) 

It is generally best to list out the specifics of your request. Saying something like, "everything mentioned here" is ambiguous, especially since sometimes there are multiple threads on similar or overlapping topics. There's also always room for not seeing a post or misreading one. I've had many conversations make a lot more sense after being specific about what is being discussed.

But yes, we don't give road maps anyways so can't really comment on a by Dec 31st date.

1 person likes this

Wi-Fi issues should be getting addressed in our next firmware upgrade. The primary improvements will be geared toward support for 802.11X networks.

All firmware upgrades for this hardware will be free.

As always, software upgrades on the Evernote side will be free as well.

Hi, Jackolicious

I purchased the Evernote edition Scansnap.  It works well, but there is one bug that I noticed.  When I scan handwritten notes into Evernote as JPEG documents (for better OCR of the handwritten text), some of the pages gets scanned in upside down or are not scanned in at all (when scanning a multipage document).  This does not happen when scanning the same handwritten notes in as PDF documents, making me think it is a software problem.  (I can scan this in as PDF documents, but as you know, the OCR does not work well with handwritten notes scanned in as PDFs...the OCR works much better with images in this context.)

Has anyone else had this problem?  

Arnold

I am a new Evernote Premium user, and purchased the Evernote ScanSnap scanner last month.  I scanned all my hardcopy files on my desk, and in my filing cabinet.  The scanner is REALLY, REALLY fast.  It was painless.  And now, everything is in Evernote.  So, for me, "that works".  Now, there are some other comments on this thread about scanning to locations other than EN, etc... and I'm sure that will occur with a firmware update, but it does not matter to me since 99% of my scanned documents go into EN.  For the 1% of non-EN files, I will drag the document out of EN onto the desktop.  

The scanner is expensive, but I think it is worth it.  If I am going paperless, the scanning process needs to be rock-solid with minimal effort.  My old Canon MX870 all-in-one is just too slow (when doing double sided scans) and labor intensive (dragging each file into Evernote).  OK, so maybe that is not really "labor intensive", but the extra steps of dragging each file from file system into EN was enough to make me put off scanning.  I like being able to press one button on the ENSS scanner, and instantly view it in Evernote.  It's inviting and easy, and for me, that's what I want in a paperless workflow, because I know I will keep it up.  

Arnold C: Initially, I too had a problem with upside down scans.  I found out I needed to enter scans upside down and face down.  Since then, every document has scanned correctly.

1 person likes this

Thx, k12s.  I input the paper upside down and facedown...the problem is that if I have a 15 page set of handwritten notes, 13 of the pages will be fine, one will be upside down, and the other will be missing....

If I scan them in as a PDF Document, all is fine.  It is just when I scan them in as a JPEG document.  (This setting is toggled in the Scansnap Manager Evernote Edition.)

The bulk of the complaints I have read about the SSEE are comparing it to the ix500.  And I think folks need to take a step back and look at this new product with a different perspective.

For starters, while the ScanSnap Manager that controls the behavior of the ix500 and earlier is more flexible than the software that comes with the SSEE at the moment, it's also quite clunky to use.  It's also a bit slower, in my experience.  It scans and then there's the separate OCR step, and then the dialog/pop-up to name the scan.  The software is more general purpose and lets the user choose what app should handle the scan (if one app isn't chosen as the default.)  In my experience, that feels like a hodgepodge of software and it is not as tightly integrated as it could be.  Especially when the endgame for most of my newly scanned documents is Evernote anyway.

Now, SSEE is being developed, designed and marketed as *the* scanner for Evernote.  And if there's one thing Evernote does well, is constant software/service improvements, and workflow enhancements to make a "paperless" office and lifestyle a happy reality.  So they've scrapped ScanSnap Manager in favor of their own.  What they're shipping with now is a 1.0 product, but it is off to a good and clean start, and it is destined for improvements.  We've already been told that the "Evernote exclusivity" will be removed, which means we'll be able to scan directly to a folder (and do whatever we please with it, with any application.)  As far as I'm concerned, once we have that capability, the SSEE will be as capable as the ix500, and then some.

The real benefits will come later, when they start working on new features.  Like, perhaps, "smart filing."  I have to believe they'll make it so that when we scan documents with certain pre-specified keywords (say, "Wells Fargo") in them, that Evernote will be smart enough to autofile that in our Banking notebooks.  And that'll be a feature you'll only see in the SSEE, I doubt it will ever make it to the Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500.

Of course this is all my conjecture, but I'm remaining optimistic that Evernote will eventually add more Evernote-only features and functionality.  And it's those features that will be the "value add" that make it the best option for us.

I'd never recommend that someone buy a product based on future promises (and certainly not third party conjecture!) but I do think it's important that some of the negative feedback be balanced with a bit of optimism, too.  Evernote's just getting started with this one.  Yes, the Evernote Market's return policy is pathetic, and really should be revised.  But beyond that, I'm standing by my initial review that the SSEE is a good purchase for Evernote users, and I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements roll in, during 2014 and beyond.

5 people like this