lpeeples

ScanSnap Evernote Edition

Idea

I am a scansnap user with EN.  I noticed the new EN scanner with custom software and emailed support about making the software available to existing scanner users.  Unfortunately they said I would have to buy the new scanner.  thats very unfortunate.  EN should make it available to all users.  I get you want to to sell hardware but you shouldn't alienate current users of the scanner.

2 people like this

239 replies to this idea

The request is completely understandable, but the collaboration between Fujitsu and Evernote was on Hardware, Drivers, and Software. It's not just a small software update.

3 people like this

I am a scansnap user with EN.  I noticed the new EN scanner with custom software and emailed support about making the software available to existing scanner users.  Unfortunately they said I would have to buy the new scanner.  thats very unfortunate.  EN should make it available to all users.  I get you want to to sell hardware but you shouldn't alienate current users of the scanner.

I don't know the details, but I think this stuff gets tricky.

Fujitsu used to sell a "Mac" and "Windows" version of their scanners. They both looked identical, worked exactly the same, but had slightly different versions of Adobe Acrobat Pro bundled with them. There seems to have been a licensing agreement issue at stake, so Fujitsu hobbled its "Mac" and "Windows" hardware to make them inoperable if used with the "wrong" OS. In fact, they were exactly the same devices and a little hack got them to work just fine.

The point? This licensing stuff is tricky, and I am not surprised at all that they can't just hand out things. I have a ScanSnap and I'd love to have an upgrade of some sort as well, but I don't think that is how these things work.

I was wondering the same thing. I have to say that it's extremely disappointing to hear that existing EN/ScanSnap users will not get any kind of software to make use of this same functionality. I already spent $500 on a scanner, and I can manually import PDFs to Evernote, so there's no reason for me to spend another $500 for something that doesn't seem all that complicated. My guess is the bigger issue is the licensing rather than the difficulty of making the software work with other, nearly identical (in appearance, at least), ScanSnap devices.

1 person likes this

I'm bummed. I just bought the ScanSnap ix500 a couple of weeks ago and I would have loved to have that EN feature. I would even entertain the idea of paying for a Fujitsu / EN software upgrade if they made it available.

1 person likes this

Actually, just was talking to a friend. He was saying the new EN version would not include the scan to mobile app feature.  I like that option and wouldn't use the new software if that was the case.

1 person likes this

I'm curious to learn what exactly the differences between this scanner and the current scanner will be. As far as I can tell, it automatically sorts your files into Evernote for you rather than having to click that option after scanning.  Is that the main difference?

I want to know if it will still have the other destinations as options -- especially Dropbox. If not, then I don't mind clicking to tell the scanner where I want my scanned items to go.

I don't currently own a Scansnap, but am looking to buy one soon and am trying to figure out if the Evernote version is worth waiting for...

1 person likes this

I agree.

For a $500+ item, I would like to see much more specific information on the advantages of the machine.

I am in a similar situation as OldManp...

I need to upgrade from an Epson DS-30 mobile scanner to a faster unit with a document feeder.  The new Epson Document Capture Pro software is surprisingly robust and works really well with EN, so I was considering the purchase of an Epson DS-510 (which uses the same software as the DS-30).  I am willing to wait (and pay more) for the ScanSnap Evernote Edition if I can get some definitive technical specifications. In particular...

1. Does the scanner can scan directly to the Evernote cloud without the need for an intermediary (like a Doxie Go with Eye-Fi)? In other words, can this machine scan and send documents to Evernote even when the PC has been turned off? If so, what happens if scan data exceeds the memory buffer?

2. Other than the enhanced integration with Evernote, does the scanner ship with the same software and features as the ScanSnap ix500? It would be a deal killer if I could not use this scanner with services other than Evernote.

Thank you.

I just read Jackolicious' Twitter feed and came across this: "ScanSnap Evernote Edition needs a computer connected via wifi bc we found that people love seeing their scans fly in."  Well, that answers my question.  I'm not sure if "people love seeing their scans fly in" is the real reason why scan to cloud functionality is not available, but given the popularity of the Doxie Go + Eye-Fi, I think that many people would also love seeing their scans fly in to the cloud -- with no computer required.

Unfortunately, I will be taking the SSEE out of consideration. If direct scanning to the cloud is not an option, I see no significant benefits over other scanners in the same league.

1 person likes this

We're putting together an FAQ to address all of these concerns ASAP. 

2 people like this

Hey - any updates on this FAQ?  I'm deciding whether I hold on to the iX500 that I just bought or return it and grab the evernote edition.  

I'm bummed. I just bought the ScanSnap ix500 a couple of weeks ago and I would have loved to have that EN feature. I would even entertain the idea of paying for a Fujitsu / EN software upgrade if they made it available.

I was wondering the same thing. I have to say that it's extremely disappointing to hear that existing EN/ScanSnap users will not get any kind of software to make use of this same functionality. I already spent $500 on a scanner, and I can manually import PDFs to Evernote, so there's no reason for me to spend another $500 for something that doesn't seem all that complicated. My guess is the bigger issue is the licensing rather than the difficulty of making the software work with other, nearly identical (in appearance, at least), ScanSnap devices.

A fourth customer (out of five) chiming in.

I just bought the iX-500 a month ago—it was offering a year of Evernote Premium as a tie-in. I was already an Evernote Premium customer for a couple years, and the last thing I thought you'd do would be to come out with a new scanner with a bunch of software features—and at least be honest: sorting business cards from bank statements into folders with tags is NOT hardware-dependent—that wouldn't be available to me, despite having just spent $440 for the top-of-the-line, Evernote-integrated scanner.

I like my ScanSnap a ton—not so pleased with Evernote's customer treatment. Maybe it's worth it to you to sell some scanners to the same people who will pay several-hundred bucks for an Evernote-brand bag—but in the long run, you're really damaging your brand and losing loyalty with a very large, serious, and savvy existing Fujitsu customer base who see exactly what's going on.

3 people like this

The "vanilla" ix500 has a few features I am wondering if this will allow:

1.  Scan to a local drive in addition **OR** instead of to evernote.

2.  Scan to excel, word, ppt, etc.

3.  Cardminder (or some local = offline contact manager - I don't use outlook!)

4.  Rack2file

Otherwise, I can buy the existing ix500 which offers manual EverNote... (?)

Thanks,

RT

1 person likes this

Does the new EN scanner use the Scan Snap IOS app?  I use that a lot to email a PDF I just scanned right from my phone?

This scanner scans directly to Evernote where it is immediately available on your mobile devices.

We will offer contact capabilities similar to Evernote Hello :) stay tuned for details.

its nice to have that mobile option though.  Sometimes I want to scan something in to email as a PDF that has nothing to do with EN and the mobile app is perfect for doing that.

I agree with everyone here. As a long time evernote user who very recently purchased a scansnap ix500 this feels like a slap to the face and is NOT a good way to build the good will of your customers. These limitations are completely artificial! I've been recommending evernote to everyone i know for some time now, if this is a new trend for the company I will think twice before recommending the service to others. Needless to say this evernote feature isn't worth $500 less than a month after purchasing nearly identical hardware.

Yesterday I had a scansnap mobile issue and talked to their tech guy.  I asked about the EN model. He said they gave them an hour training but his take away was they stripped all other Scansnap functionality out of the scanner.  I started this thread but rethinking it, i'm happier as is. I only scan into my EN inbox anyway and I want the non EN functions.  However, for $500, you should have both all functions, EN and non EN. Pretty disappointed.

2 people like this

Please see our FAQ, specifically around the differences between the Evernote Edition and the ScanSnap ix500.

The entire scanning experience from setup through scanning have been re-imagined for the ScanSnap Evernote Edition. The primary differences are:

• Get scanning faster with one-step setup of all drivers and software
  • Automatic document type detection and auto-filing: the scanner automatically identifies documents, business cards, receipts, and photographs and files them into the appropriate Evernote notebook
  • Never worry about terms like image resolution, DPI, color depth, or compression again. ScanSnap Manager Evernote Edition automatically chooses the optimal settings for visual quality and disk space
  • One-step wifi scanning easily clears your desk of wires
  • Business cards are automatically turned into rich contact notes with information from LinkedIn (Mac only, coming soon to Windows)
  • Unintrusive scanning: scanning does not interrupt your workflow. Get notified of scans while staying focused on your current task.
1 person likes this

How about the the full version of Adobe Acrobat that comes with the ix500--is that included with the Evernote edition?  

And is the manual online somewhere?

Thanks for the FAQ but, any updates?

Specifically, can we scan to a printer, or direct to e-mail?  I know you said we can pick another destination for scanning raw files but is there a customizable "dashboard" so that those options are easy?  Finally, can we can direct from iPhone, iPad, etc either through the EN app or better yet without it?

I am ready to buy one of these but I can just as easily go for the ix500 do we know when these questions might be answered?  I really can't wait too much longer and I prefer the look of the EN but can't sacrifice the other options.

Thx.

Will the Evernote Scansnap be available in the UK & if so when?  

1 person likes this

I am in the UK and I would like to be able to scan docs straight into EN. Can you confirm if the SnapScan evernote edition is going to be available here. I have tried Googling it but no results. If I buy an Epson scanner is it recognised and will Evernote allow me to scan docs directly into EN? That's two questions in one.

1 person likes this

I am in the UK and I would like to be able to scan docs straight into EN. Can you confirm if the SnapScan evernote edition is going to be available here. I have tried Googling it but no results. If I buy an Epson scanner is it recognised and will Evernote allow me to scan docs directly into EN? That's two questions in one.

1. I doubt they can "confirm" it will come, but it may well come someday! Availability for more countries is "on the way."

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/world-of-tech/take-note-evernote-moves-into-world-of-scanners-and-socks-1184315

2. No one at Evernote can tell you that, because it depends on the scanner manufacturer. If you are using Windows, you can scan to an import folder and the documents there will be automatically uploaded, so it probably doesn't matter what kind of scanner you get.