"Market" section must go (for Premium users)

I'm sorry, Evernote developers, but, for Premium subscribers the "Market" section you have added to the latest (7.0.1) version for iOS 7 has to go. There is no justification not to make it optional. Make showing it the default, if you so wish, but an option must be added to be allowed to hide it.

This is an egregious violation of a tacit, logical agreement: we pay you so we don't have to see any ads. I don't care what the EULA says, that is what the "freemium" business model on which you operate is all about. I didn't really need the extra space allowance or the OCR, so there were only two reasons I became a paying customer: to support what I saw as a good product, and to not have to see any ads, which I detest, mainly on aesthetic grounds.

Evernote is an essential component of my work and personal workflows. I open it dozens of times per day, as do many other users, I am sure. If I am paying for it there is no reason why you should turn my screen into a commercial landscape for other products you make money on. If an option to hide the "Market" section isn't forthcoming, I will revert to being a non-paying user, perhaps stop using EN entirely.

• Level 5

This reminds me of the ads. Supposedly I'm one of the few that turned it off. But also don't want it in my iOS client (or any client for that matter).

Nice products - by the look of it - but not relevant yet as not available in the UK and even then I can go to www.evernote.com to pick up the market when I need to.

I agree. I personally would rather EN focused on quality software engineering (building reliable product that doesn't require multiple reinstalls etc.) than putting its energy into EN branded post-it note trays, tote bags and coffee cups. Many of us now hugely depend on their products for our day to day life. I get the impression that as the number of platforms and the rate of change in user interface and function has increased, EN are struggling to ensure that product quality is what we all should expect. Slow down and focus on getting it right first time please!

Personally I don't mind it, but I also like the ads.

But I do get that it might annoy some folks. Perhaps it would be better to be able to turn it off like the ads.

Having said, that, the 'commuter bag' is a bit over prices!

Regards

Chris

• Level 5

@C6REW Do we know the commuter bag is in fact overpriced? Or just too "up market" for most Evernote users? In the UK this market would be at the Waitrose / John Lewis level: Nice stuff sold by nice people nicely displayed. Which excludes most people.

I also thought the bags weren't suitable for MY needs: 15" laptop plus lots more besides - mainly devices and cables.

I agree! It must be possible to eliminate Market and the annoying Anouncements in the App. I dont want to pay for viewing commercials, even not from Evernote itself. If I want to view Market or Announcements it must be my decision. For me this is also a matter of trust. I have a contract as a Premium User and Evernote does not fulfill their side for now.

@C6REW Do we know the commuter bag is in fact overpriced? Or just too "up market" for most Evernote users? In the UK this market would be at the Waitrose / John Lewis level: Nice stuff sold by nice people nicely displayed. Which excludes most people.

I also thought the bags weren't suitable for MY needs: 15" laptop plus lots more besides - mainly devices and cables.

Hi Martin,

I think it is over priced. I have a similar sized (slightly deeper) expensive high end camera bag for my Olympus camera and lenses and it cost about £70.

Regards

Chris

Agreed. As a premium user I have no desire to see a market tab or announcements (desktop, web, or mobile/android. btw, I am one of those who did turn off the ads). 

It very well might be nice things and higher end prices, but the products seem hit or miss.

While there might be some things with the organizational theme, I don't get a lot of what is in there in general.

A quick browse of the marketplace turns up socks that cost as much as two years worth of a premium subscription (5 pairs).

https://www.evernote.com/market/feature/socks?sku=SOCK00106

Actually, the marketplace makes me wonder if they are having revenue issues. (right or wrong, that is the impression. No offense intended). I have a lot of notes and would prefer a stable company and this seems like a weird grab at revenue. Many of us use EN like a utility in a lot of ways and expect it to always be available like house electric.

I agree with atangel's worrisome point. Many of us find Evernote to be a truly useful, almost essential application. We would hate to see it go away or not succeed, in the same way a photographer would miss his Photoshop were it to become unavailable. Which is one of the reasons we become Premium users.

But this whole "Evernote Market" business is instilling a great deal of fear in us Evernote clients. Is the company so unprofitable that it depends on whatever commission it can make on the sale of bags and socks in order to stay alive? Is its business model so misguided that it now needs extract extra revenue from already paying customers, even at the risk of alienating them with a commercialized user interface? Should we start looking for other, competing applications with better long-term prospects to store our data in?

Please get rid of the ads and the announcements immediately.

Until then, I'll no longer be recommending the service to others, as I have in the past. Will also start considering alternatives for when my subscription ends.

Serious breach of faith with your paying customers.

Personally I don't mind it, but I also like the ads.

I like the ads on my Mac. But the iPhone is different. 

Seems OK on Android, but as I mentioned, I get that some people don't want it.

Don't understand anyone making a decision to not using Evernote because of it though!

Best regards

Chris

Don't understand anyone making a decision to not using Evernote because of it though!

Best regards

Chris

Oh, no, that seems rather extreme! I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it. However, asking for what you want increases the chances of getting what you want, so, I've asked nicely for the Market to be removable. 

It's early days for this version. They've already made some changes in the "Announcements" section that make it something I'm willing to live with (as in not whine about!). I'm sure it will evolve. 

Best of luck. 

Adding my vote to requests to remove this from the application, or, at the very least, to provide an option to turn it off. I am distrubed to see my subscriptions being used to develop a marketing company rather than for developing and enhancing a great software product.

It would be really nice if any Developer would join this topic!

You annoying paying customers with "Markets" and "Announcements" which can't be deleted in iOS-Apps.

They are paying you for developing the Evernote-Product and NOT for installing a shopping company. 

Turning Evernote in an onlineshop and at the same time cutting functions in the App is not acceptable, especially for your customers!

• Level 5*

This is a user forum, Evernote read all threads but they certainly don't respond to each one. If you want to make your voice heard and in return hear an official response you should open a support ticket.

• Level 5

I just saw these tweets:

Nakamoto Satoshi:

@evernote @plibin Premium users should gain an option to hide “Announcement” and “Market” section!!! Occupying too much space on phones!!!

Phil Libin (Evernote CEO):

@nakamsatos I agree. You'll be able to rearrange and hide all the section soon.

Let's be patient.

I just saw these tweets:

Nakamoto Satoshi:

@evernote @plibin Premium users should gain an option to hide “Announcement” and “Market” section!!! Occupying too much space on phones!!!

Phil Libin (Evernote CEO):

@nakamsatos I agree. You'll be able to rearrange and hide all the section soon.

Let's be patient.

It's a bit annoying to have to be patient about something so blatantly awful - not only does the market section take up a whole load of space and look remarkably like an advertisement that I'm paying not to see but it's advertising things not even available to those of us outside the US

Still - I do realise this is a real case of #firstworldproblems - however I am no longer the EN evangelist I once was - the appaling management of the upgrade inline with iOS7 and this increasing push towards selling me ***** I don't want make me sad. So sad I even looked at OneNote as a serious alternative (it doesn't really do all I want but it's the first time I've ever thought about using something other than EN)

• 4 weeks later...

@evernote - Total violation of the customer trust to add the market place to premium accounts w no option to remove. #BadMove #Evernote 

After years of evangelism and enjoyment of your product, I feel like I just got seriously pimped.  Wow.  Shame. 

We’ve added the ability to let you customize your homescreen by either reordering the items, or removing those that you don’t use frequently. Do this by tapping on the Edit button at the very bottom of the homescreen. If you have a lot of items you might need to scroll to see it.

We’ve added the ability to let you customize your homescreen by either reordering the items, or removing those that you don’t use frequently. Do this by tapping on the Edit button at the very bottom of the homescreen. If you have a lot of items you might need to scroll to see it.

It's not that it goes away from the main screen, it just get's a tick smaller.

It's not that it goes away from the main screen, it just get's a tick smaller.

I would say that it is more than a "tick" smaller.   I think they made the right changes here to allow for it to be removed to a tiny icon that will never be seen unless you scroll all the way to the bottom.  Or, if you are very interested in what the Marketplace has to offer you make it a large section with pictures at the top of your home screen.  :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived