Link insert iOS

• Level 5

In the previous version I was able to insert a link highlighting a word. Where is this option now?

This is one of the features that has been 'streamlined' away from the iOS version ;-)

Let's hope it will come back one day.

This was one of the options which makes Evernote so useful - please bring back the option to insert links. I will have to start now using again my netbook....

A little bit of topic but at the end related to this topic - with every new version of the Windows, Android, iOS or web version the capabilities and user interfaces become more and more different - I work currently with all 4 versions (Windows = Home PC / Web = Work PC / iOS = iPad for travelling and for meetings / Android = cell phone) and handling their different user interfaces is becoming more and more a nightmare if now in addition important features are streamlined this is neither acceptable nor understandable for me as a premium user...

• Level 5*

Was this an oversite? I share notes with my brother. On iOS I was able to highlight a word and insert a youtube link instead of just pasting the link and now this feature is gone on my iPad.  The option is still there on my mac.

Maybe an oversight. Maybe a feature that has been removed. Maybe a feature that will be added later. I am afraid Evernote doesn't usually share their roadmap (the developers will occasionally hint or commit to some things, but it is uncommon), so we cannot know as users.

Was this an oversite? I share notes with my brother. On iOS I was able to highlight a word and insert a youtube link instead of just pasting the link and now this feature is gone on my iPad.  The option is still there on my mac.

Maybe an oversight. Maybe a feature that has been removed. Maybe a feature that will be added later. I am afraid Evernote doesn't usually share their roadmap (the developers will occasionally hint or commit to some things, but it is uncommon), so we cannot know as users.

This is a simple and basic feature and I do not understand why they would remove this. Bring it back please!

• Level 5*

This is a simple and basic feature and I do not understand why they would remove this. Bring it back please!

I don't know how simple or basic it is, but I can say (as I always do with updates that remove features) that I recommend Evernote doesn't remove features arbitrarily like this, because it undermines confidence in the app, and it can have very unfortunate results for people who have come to depend on certain features. I sympathize with the developers, who (I imagine) have to balance all kinds of competing interests every update, but the more transparent this process is, the smoother it will go. This is especially important (in my opinion) when we have automatic updates on iOS, and a feature that was there one minute ago can disappear the next.

• Level 5

It's still there -- kind of. You just can't use it the same way as in the past to hyperlink words.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42900-ios7-internal-note-linking-gone/

Just to get right what you mean. If you put a URL into a note as text, on iOS after some seconds it is turned into a link. You can click on it and it works.

However, if this is what you mean it is not really a link because for example the Web App shows the same note just as text and it is not a link you can click! I did not test it with the Window client but I expect the same. It is an iOS feature that works in other apps too (e.g. Mail).

Screen%20Shot%202013-09-24%20at%205.06.3

Is this feature coming back on the next update or not?

This is very usefull to refer to link title and not the whole url.

This! Thank you for posting this picture. This is what I mean. It is no longer there for iPad or iPhone.

• 4 weeks later...

The more I read in the discussion area, the often I find comments where people missing features which have been removed. The Evernote team must have motives to do this, but in my opinion it's not the work of professionals...

In earlier days YOU must have found these features are good for us, the user. And I don't think there are users who said 'away with this'.

Many people have decided to use Evernote exactly for the features Evernote offers. No one will use all features included but many will use a part of it, everyone for his own purpose.

Therefore I think bring new features but keep the familiar one...

It would be an important part of confidence into the software and my future work!

• 3 months later...

I don't know how simple or basic it is, but I can say (as I always do with updates that remove features) that I recommend Evernote doesn't remove features arbitrarily like this, because it undermines confidence in the app, and it can have very unfortunate results for people who have come to depend on certain features. I sympathize with the developers, who (I imagine) have to balance all kinds of competing interests every update, but the more transparent this process is, the smoother it will go. This is especially important (in my opinion) when we have automatic updates on iOS, and a feature that was there one minute ago can disappear the next.

Totally agree with GrumpyMonkey

Totally agree with GrumpyMonkey!

Useful feature, shouldn't be just removed!

• 3 months later...

Is there any chance of this feature being added back? I really miss it on iOS, and it's a shame that such a basic feature has gone missing. In my opinion the iOS 7 version of the app has gotten really good -- and I was a vocal critic of previous versions -- but this feature omission is puzzling. Every time I forget that this feature is gone and go to add a link, I end up scratching my head, puzzled as to why it's missing. Surely no one at Evernote thinks it's a *bad* or useless feature, right? It just got deprioritized or something. Add one more vote for bringing it back.

• 2 weeks later...

And here's another vote. I just discovered this feature is gone, as I just finally upgraded to ios7. I'm almost wishing I hadn't, as I used this feature all the time. I just cannot imagine what could have been the reasoning behind completely removing this functionality, with no explanation. It's infuriating.

• 1 month later...

And here's another vote. I just discovered this feature is gone, as I just finally upgraded to ios7. I'm almost wishing I hadn't, as I used this feature all the time. I just cannot imagine what could have been the reasoning behind completely removing this functionality, with no explanation. It's infuriating.

Couldn't agree more. i don't know what process they are pushing people towards for organizing and navigating their notes, but one of the upsides of EN's fairly basic PIM features is you are NOT forced into a particular method. This is nearly impossible without simple cross-linking. I have been pretty happy w/ EN but hesitant to go "all-in" and use it for everything. Ironically, i was about to, and as part of showing it off to my family to use it, i created a notebook to share family info and immediately ran into the no linking on ipad issue. I don't have access to a pc or mac right now, but really need to set up this notebook. but without linking, its useless yo me. i am so frustrated right now. why on earth would they remove this feature without AT LEAST some plausible, publicly stated reason? its baffling and IMO bad for their business. I now have two family members that were going to be customers (Premium) and now won't use it at all.

Dangit. so disappointed. thanks for the post and help and sympathy.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Okay, I've found a workaround that actually works. Create the link or links you want in Mail according to the instructions at Mac OS X Hints. Then send the email to Evernote via your Email to Evernote address. The links exist, work, and can be copied and pasted into other Notes.

What a pain. But truth be told, I am aware of *no* iOS app that allows link creation of the sort Evernote used to have (if anyone knows of one, please tell me!) Is this some secret Apple policy?

• 10 months later...

Another workaround is based on Workflow, here is the link to the flow; it appends a hyperlink to a specific note, from where you can copy/paste wherever you need it. Before you run the flow, you need to edit the Notebook and Note names to match some of your own. The original flow upon I built mine was created by Brett Kelly and I guess the article was featured in Evernote blog.

• 7 months later...

I don't know whether something has changed, but  the first solution I posted above now works for me. Follow the instructions on this Mac OS X Hints post, but do it in Evernote, not Mail. In other words, paste the URL into Evernote, put the link text you want in the middle of the link, then delete the rest. Works like a charm, and not that much more difficult than the old way. 

Archived