Feature Request: Outline mode, and stacks...

Hello,

I love the "outline view" in Pages and Microsoft Word. I find seeting up a page with heading, subheading, and point form notes very cumbersome in Evernote, to the point that I thought it might be easier to make an outline in a word processor, and import it in.

A different suggestion is for the viewing mode. I know you can have drop down menus in the left bar, but it would be helpful if you could see all the levels at once: Stacks, Notebooks, and Individual notes all in one flow. There does not appear to be an option for that, and there is lots of room for it, even on my little macpro 13" screen.

I hope this is helpful!

• Level 5*

Evernote is good for research,  but not for layout.  Don't think they have any ambition to become a full-featured WP though - lots of folks have asked over the years,  but the editor remains.. basic.

So is the best way to take notes in an outline in a word processor, then save as a pdf to import into EN?  I use Word Perfect as my wp which doesn't have a save as pdf option but I have CutePDF installed as a printer, which will do the same thing.

• 7 months later...

I agree, Evernote needs a native outline tool. I use Evernote mostly  for taking notes at meetings, information repository and web research. Especially taking notes at meetings is important to structure your ideas in a way represents hierarchy. It's not about formatting is about structuring better the content of a given note.

Especially taking notes at meetings is important to structure your ideas in a way represents hierarchy. It's not about formatting is about structuring better the content of a given note.

I've never been a fan of outlines for taking meeting notes myself. I find I end up spending too much time figuring out what level in the outline I should be in and I miss things that get said. I do often stick in keywords (e.g. ToDo, Question) so that it's easy to search for things in Evernote later. This is particularly useful if I take the notes in Penultimate. If the WorkFlowy suggestion doesn't work for you, you might look at some of the methods for creating templates. You can create your own and then just make a copy of the note. Or you could try something like KustomeNote. 

Best of luck. 

• Level 5*

I've been looking at the latest version of IQTell (see the App Center) which now allows you to convert a note into an action and will add checkboxed sub-items as sub-actions which can,  if you then switch to IQTell,  be delegated with separate due dates and progress notes.  The package now looks increasingly attractive to me,  though this is a first try out - your own due diligence required if you proceed!

Archived