(Archived) About Evernote Security & Privacy of Data

Hi to everybody and all the Evernote staff:

I started using this application just few hours ago because it seems so useful for me, and it really is. The only things that is getting a matter of concern for me is the fact that Evernote has no passwords are locking system in order to protect my private data put in there. I mention that because I like evernote, but my computer is not only used by me, but also for all members of my family & friends, and I don't want them to look for all my personal appointments and some crucial data that I scripted in there. So please if you can help me finding a way to restrict the opening of my notebooks so I can be sure to have all my information safe and I can be the only who can access my notebooks? Thank you so much.

Hi to everybody and all the Evernote staff:

I started using this application just few hours ago because it seems so useful for me, and it really is. The only things that is getting a matter of concern for me is the fact that Evernote has no passwords are locking system in order to protect my private data put in there. I mention that because I like evernote, but my computer is not only used by me, but also for all members of my family & friends, and I don't want them to look for all my personal appointments and some crucial data that I scripted in there. So please if you can help me finding a way to restrict the opening of my notebooks so I can be sure to have all my information safe and I can be the only who can access my notebooks? Thank you so much.

This has been discussed a lot on the board already.  Please search the board on security.  In a nutshell, EN's focus is not a repository for sensitive data & as such your data is not encrypted either on your hard drive (if you're using a desktop client) or even on their servers (unless you do it yourself - again search the board) and leaves computer desktop security up to the user.

• Level 5

..but my computer is not only used by me, but also for all members of my family & friends, and I don't want them to look for all my personal appointments and some crucial data that I scripted in there.

Some basic protection: Sign off from Evernote completely (>file >exit) when you step away from your computer. This will require you to log back in with your Evernote password when you return. And don't give the password to your family members.  This won't stop a computer expert but it will slow down your family members.

But letting your friends use your computer containing personal and confidential information? Come on - really? That's just plain crazy. You are just asking for trouble. Tell them to use their own computer.

And... use your computer's screen lock feature to require a new login if you leave it alone for more than a few minutes.  And, use your computer's account management features to setup individual user accounts for your family and friends, or use the guest account.

And... use your computer's screen lock feature to require a new login if you leave it alone for more than a few minutes.  And, use your computer's account management features to setup individual user accounts for your family and friends, or use the guest account.

I was about to say the same thing. If a computer is used by a family, then everyone should have their own login. This way everyone's files and information are private. Also create one "guest" account for people visiting or for people who don't need a separate login.

Archived