(Archived) SLOW Typing in search

Geoff H

After updating to iOS 7 Evernote has become extremely slow to respond when searching notes.  There can be a keyboard delay of several seconds to completely unresponsive when trying to perform a search.  There doesn't seem to be an issue when creating a new note.  Happening on both my iPhone and iPad.

Hi 

I'm having the same problem but it only seems to be on my iPhone 4 using iOS 7, although my main problem its got a very bad delay when typing a note, its a little better if every other app is closed but i can't work like this. Since the update its virtually useless.

I noticed that it "upgraded" the database when I first started using Evernote in iOS 7.  When I deleted the app, it deleted the data.  When I reinstalled and the data reloaded, the issue disappeared.  I'd recommend giving it a try.  Geoff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still have slow / delayed typing. I installed and re-installed the latest version 7.0.3. I'm working on an iPhone 4. It's annoying and slow compared to the native e-mail and notes apps. The customer support is usually good, we'll see what they do in response to this.

I am having the same problem. Delay in letters appearing. Using EN on iPad and iPad2. Same problem on both. Have tried deleting and re-installing. Hasn't improved. EN on Android phone works fine. Considering going to Premium because app is so useful, but would like to get this problem resolved first.

I've still got the same problem on the iPhone 4 but on my iPad mini it's fine so I would guess its a processor problem. I've now realised I've got 3 options.

1 Use the iPad but I have no GPRS connection so location data or syncing won't work until I get a connection

2 Ditch Evernote altogether use the note app already installed.

3 Do want apple want you to buy a new iPhone yeh get real can't afford a new phone.

I've decided to go for option 2 until Evernote can sort this out if it's not compatible Evernote should make it unavailable for the iPhone 4.

I think Evernote should make the previous version available for users with iPhone 4 using ios7..

I have asked EN support about the slow typing issue. Waiting to see what the response is. Has anyone else asked Support? As I mentioned previously. The standard reply of "delete and re-load" has not helped.

+1

Same problem here on an iPhone 4. The app itself works fine for such an old Phone, even editing pictures with sktich is fast enough. Only the speed of typing is very slow. To a certain degree this renders Evernote almost useless on my iPhone 4.

I don't have this issue on my (also pretty old) iPad 2.

As a long time and premium user of Evernote, I have to say that after the login-bug my patience is coming to an end. Evernote shouldn't have released the iOS 7 version in such a hurry. This current version is clearly below Evernote's standards.

I've also opened a ticket.

When searching the topic on the web and reviewing comments on EN's own site, you can see a lot of people are experiencing the same frustration. I also like (the old) EN. But then of course, it worked! Whereas the new, with all the fancy bells and whistles EN is bragging about doesn't!

Hello

Received a reply. It does seem to be better.

Does it work for you?

Our developers released a new update, please follow the next steps:

On your iOS device:

If you have any unsynchronized notes (notes with green corners), check first to see if they have synced to our server by logging in at www.evernote.com via a desktop browser. If the notes are not showing there, please copy the content of each note to your iOS Mail program and email them to your Evernote email address (do NOT attempt to email via Evernote). Check your Camera Roll to ensure that any pending image notes have been auto-saved. If not, use the share button (located in the lower left) and then select the "Save Image" option.

* Uninstall Evernote from your device (hold down the icon until it starts to jiggle and then tap the "x")

* Reboot your device.

* Download the latest version of Evernote via the AppStore.

Uninstalled, rebooted, downloaded and installed the newest app.   Tried a search.  Keyboard froze for 10-15 seconds but eventually recovered.  In general, the release initially appears to be more stable when searching but it still locks up for several seconds at a time for me.

I've tried the "solution" that user web was told:

* Uninstall Evernote from your device (hold down the icon until it starts to jiggle and then tap the "x")
* Reboot your device.
* Download the latest version of Evernote via the AppStore.

It DID NOT HELP. No matter if I open a exisiting or an new note, the moment I try to type, every keystroke has a delay of several seconds.

It would be easy to say 'well, I'll get rid of my three years old iPhone 4 then and get me a new one' but I don't see why I should do that: Evernote worked perfectly fine until the iOS 7 version came out. Apple's own apps are working fine under iOS 7 on my old phone. The apps of other companies are working okay. Therefore, it is clear to me that EVERNOTE is either stuck performancewise with their programming or they released EVERNOTE for iOS 7 much too early.

I'm a premium user of Evernote, I even bought the Moleskine notebook (another three months of premium). I'll give evernote a last chance. If they don't fix this issue, I'll move my stuff over to somewhere else and quit my relationship with Evernote forEVER.

• Level 5

How big is your Evernote Database? If it is big, an optimization might help. You can run the Evernote desktop client with the command line option /debugmenu and then you can optimize your databases from the Debug menu.

@Stuhrer: All my stuff is about 500 MB big. Not too much given that EN markets Evernote as a elephant's memory, I'd say.

I've tried to start Evernote with the Debug Menu, but didn't make it. My skills in Terminal (console) pretty much suck :)

I've tried to start Evernote with defaults write com.Evernote.Evernote IncludeDebugMenu 1

but didn't manage to start Evernote in debug mode.

Thanks for your posting!

• Level 5

@Tiberius: 500 mb is not big at all. At the moment I cannot help you with the debug mode. I am away from home and just can use my iPad. The command line option I mentioned was meant for Windows. I don't know how this is done on Mac OS. You should contact support and create a ticket. The more users do this the more Evernote will pay attention to that problem I guess.

Dear Evernote users,

I've promised that I give you an update on Thursday, so here we go:

crickets

Evernote didn't contact me. Actually, the did nothing at all. As a so called "premium" user, I'd say that isn't premium at all.

Happy Halloween ya all!

They responded to me today after looking at my activity log.  Likely is a bug that will have to be addressed in a future release.

I debugged it a little.  For me at least, its the first 4-5 characters that are very sluggish.  I suspect its caused by the suggested search/related items lookup.   Does the sluggishness decrease for you as type more characters in the search string?

My guess is the larger the library of notes you have, the greater the impact of the lookup (right now, I have ~12k notes).

I implemented the suggestion from EN. Deleted programme, hard restart of iPad and re-loaded the programme. Has been just over 2 weeks and works well. Some delay in old notes I updated but new notes, typing is immediate. Happy with result now.

@linden: I have approx. 300 notes (plus trash). A large database can't be the reason for the sluggish typing in my case. The Search/related item lookup idea of yours makes sense to me. But there is no option to switch that off, is it? It doesn't make any difference to me if I start typing or type a few words. there is a lack every other second for several seconds. It also makes no difference if I open a new note or edit an existing note.

I also suspect iOS 7's own auto correction feature as a possible cause.

The fine folks of the Evernote support team contacted me. Their suggestion didn't help me, but here it is anyway, maybe it solves your problems:

Your copy of Evernote may be "hanging" at two different places, once when performing a GPS lookup on notes, and the other on background sync. To correct this, please try turning off both settings:

Settings > Privacy > Location Services 
Settings > General > Background App Refresh

In both places, turn "Off" Evernote.

Best
Tibor

Interestingly enough, Evernote wasn't even listed under

Settings > Privacy > Location Services

Not sure why.  Anyway, added it and it made no difference.

During this test, I started typing, it froze.  About 4-5 seconds later, the suggestions appeared and it started responding to the keyboard again.  At least for me, there's a definite correlation between the suggested search and the temporary freeze.

• 1 month later...

I just want to chime in here too. I don't use EN every day, but I do use it a lot on my iPad2. I had the line advance problem and reboot and reload worked to eliminate it. But I am now battling the delay typing problem. I tried to submit a ticket via the support req in the account section. After composing it I hit submit and was told it could not be completed at this time....

So a search for the problem found me here. I'm glad to know I'm not alone, but the age of some of these posts and seeing the same advice they gave me for the line advance problem, makes me think I may not get a solution. I don't want to reload and reboot every time.

Just venting. Thanks for listening. I will see what they say.

Archived