How do I delete a note?

I'm a two year evernote user, and pissed that I can't even see how to delete a note after upgrading to the new version.  REally, a big waste of my time here, to find a most basic operation.  Please can we make it simpler, and also bring back the snippet view in folders that so many people prefer?????

• Level 5*

I'm a two year evernote user, and pissed that I can't even see how to delete a note after upgrading to the new version.  REally, a big waste of my time here, to find a most basic operation.  Please can we make it simpler, and also bring back the snippet view in folders that so many people prefer?????

Hi. Swipe left and tap the trash can icon. This works in both snippet and card view.

Wow, but I can't do it while I'm IN the note.... it may be difficult to see specifically which note we are deleting, amongst similar looking notes this way.... That seems just wrong.  And why should it take me so long to find this...?  

thank you for your help Mr. Grumpy, much appreciated. 

• Level 5*

Wow, but I can't do it while I'm IN the note.... it may be difficult to see specifically which note we are deleting, amongst similar looking notes this way.... That seems just wrong.  And why should it take me so long to find this...?  

thank you for your help Mr. Grumpy, much appreciated.

Glad I could help. Press the green "more..." in a note to see the option to "Delete Note."

Why couldn't you figure it out? Because it is tough :) Apple's iOS 7 is different, and apps now follow its different rules, so despite being "amazing" in Apple's words, with Apple's typical lack of explanation, Apple's products tend to seem "befuddling" in my experience. Watch a poor Android soul switch to iOS and you'll see how infuriating the Apple experience can be. HOWEVER, once you have been trained through trial and error (along with Googling and posting on message boards) things start to make a bit more sense. Once you have accepted your training (I reluctantly did so long ago), it is quite enjoyable (the fruits of becoming a disciplined postmodern subject).

Anyhow, I have asked for more information to be displayed on the iPad screen in Evernote, and I am personally not a fan of "cleaner" (less functional) interfaces, but I think that is where the world is headed. Anecdotally, I have had people tell me that Evernote is difficult to understand, so I guess there is some justification for making it "cleaner." Still, I'd like to see a "clean" and extremely functional interface and think that both can be achieved! But I am not a designer, and these folks know what they are doing.

This current implementation might be the best possible one. I can speak from experience that many, many developers bungle this kind of stuff (including Apple in its Notes), so the fact that the Evernote folks got so much functionality in there does speak to their skill.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

This current implementation might be the best possible one. I can speak from experience that many, many developers bungle this kind of stuff (including Apple in its Notes), so the fact that the Evernote folks got so much functionality in there does speak to their skill.

It is absolutely OK that you support the Evernote developers and I agree with you that they are trying to do their best to provide the best possible program for the users. That's what all software developers do, I also know what I am talking about. I am creating HMIs for air traffic controllers since about 20 years.

The greatest problem for software developers is the lack of knowledge how the end users are using the software. Evernote is a very good example for this. The great success of the software is that it can be used for so many use cases and none of the developers has the faintest idea what the users are really doing with it. Therefore, they should be very careful changing the design and features because this can completely destroy the workflow of many users.

This is what happened at least for me. For what I could do with the previous version on the iPad I now need three or more apps or need to change between platforms and do things in the desktop version that I cannot do any more on the new iPad version. And this has nothing to do with bugs or the different design principles of iOS 7 but purely with removed features and an interface that in many cases needs more steps to perform the same tasks as the previous version.

For future versions I would recommend to follow a more evolutionary approach rather that a revolutionary. Otherwise, Evernote has to take the risk that a large percentage of the users get frustrated with every new version and look for alternatives. As far as I am concerned I am willing to give Evernote another chance and I am waiting for updates bringing back features present in the previous version, for example editing feature like indentation, font size selection etc. every note taking application must have or it does not deserve this name.

• 2 months later...

This thread answered the question (thank you, contributors).

I vote for a visible trashcan icon! I am a new user, and practically gave up using Evernote because I was accumulating so many notes with no obvious way to delete them!! Certainly a major part of managing workflow is deleting material no longer needed? Being able to delete is so important that it simply must be made simple and obvious.

I vote for a visible trashcan icon! I am a new user, and practically gave up using Evernote because I was accumulating so many notes with no obvious way to delete them!! Certainly a major part of managing workflow is deleting material no longer needed? Being able to delete is so important that it simply must be made simple and obvious.

I rarely delete any notes from Evernote.  With notebooks, stacks, tags, descriptive titles & keywords, it's pretty easy to refine my searches to the pertinent notes.

I rarely delete any notes from Evernote.  With notebooks, stacks, tags, descriptive titles & keywords, it's pretty easy to refine my searches to the pertinent notes.

While I agree with you BNF, and I too rarely delete, I think deleting is important to certain popular workflows. 

While I don't do the GTD thing, nor do I know much about it, my understanding is that deleting is a pretty big part of this, so those users may find themselves bogged down if the trash is too obscure. 

Then again, I don't think the swipe-left behaviour that is pretty universal in iOS is too onerous even for the most hurried of user. 

I'd like to delete a note but nothing happens when I swipe in any direction! I've tried to find Evernote in my iPad user settings to see if I need to change anything but I can't find it there either. Please help.

As mentioned above, you can swipe left in the card or snippet view. Or open the note & tap the ellipsis.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

I totally agree with Mrs. Kitty. It's annoying that I can't swipe delete on the main screen but I can in snippet view. And it's stupid that deleting a note that you are viewing is a three step process

I am not sure why there is a problem swiping. In snippet view, I can swipe and delete (two steps). If I am viewing a note I can do that, or use the three dots to delete (three steps). This seems like a reasonable number of steps to me on the iPad. But, maybe I am misunderstanding you.

The problem started with the iOS 7 version of the app. A step forward in design, but at the expense of core functionality for me. If they fixed the one touch delete, I'd be loving Evernote. As it is, I still maintain a separate to do list so I can open and swipe off entries from a multiple entry view on the entry page.

• 2 months later...

This has all been useful information, but I'm gonna go a bit off topic and ask how does one delete an entire notebook?

Depends on what device you are using. 

On the desktop applications and the web interface, right-click on any notebook and select "delete notebook".

On iOS, from the home screen of Evernote, select "notebooks", then tap "edit" in the top right, then tap the green circle with a line. 

On android.... not sure. 

• 5 months later...

Archived