Trouble With Input Folders

robhix

Good evening fellow Evernoters:

I did a lot of research into using the import folders feature this week and set it up this weekend.  I was really excited to get some scanning done.  My scanner is putting documents in C:\ScanTemp and I am setting up the import folder to take items (PDF files) from this folder and put them in notes in the !ScanInput folder (non-synced folder).  Something about this is not working.  I have looked at everything I can find here.  Can anyone help me out.  All of my files sizes are below 5 kB and I have tried copying the files out of the folder and back into it.  All of this and still nothing working.  I am using Evernote version 5.0.1.1188 (261696) Public.  I am not a Premium user.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.  I have a lot of scanning I would like to get done tonight.

Thanks in advance,

Rob Hix

I'd look at two probabilities:

1. Is ScanTemp a "real" conventional folder, or some virtual library thing?

2. If files remain open (however briefly) after initial writing (for OCR, e.g.) you may run into snags.

Suggestions:

Copy another out-of-use file to the folder - confirm that it works other than for fresh scans.

If you're using a ScanSnap, use the "Scan to Evernote (document)" option, bypass the import step.

/Schooner

Ok,

(1)  The folder was created on the C: drive and as far as I know is a real conventional folder.  If not, Windows 7 is doing something weird on me.

(2)  I have tried using old PDFs and even creating a text file and copying it over and this is still not working.  I do not mind adding them manually, but I would like for it to be automatic so when my wife scans stuff there would be less for her to rememeber.

Thanks again,

Rob Hix

Is the folder otherwise synced via 3rd party service (dropbox, cubby, WLM, etc?)

FYI:  just tested OK with newly-created folder fed by fresh ScanSnap scan --- EN 4.6.7.8409, Win7.  Get a confirmation from someone who has "gone 5".

/Schooner

• Level 5*

If you're still struggling with this I'd suggest you set up some new folders.  One to scan into,  and another one as an import folder.  Set Evernote to delete files once imported.  Do your scanning,  then drag and drop all your scanned files into the import folder.  See if that works.

• Level 5*

I had ScanSnap working fine until recently. Today, when I tried to scan to Evernote, the file was being pulled from my import folder to quickly, before I could rename it. The extension was .pd~. When I scanned to a different folder and then copied to my import folder after renaming the file, everything worked fine. I repeated the scan attempt three times while saving to the import folder directly. Each time it failed. I am fine with using the interim folder, but it does appear there is some kind of bug in the system.

• Level 5*

Don't think that's a bug,  it's always how the system worked for me.  Any thing that goes into the import folder gets sucked into an Evernote notebook.  Even half-completed scans that weren't yet finished by the scanner would get pulled - leading me to always scan to one folder,  then drag and drop to the import folder.  You can automate the process with AHK,  Belvedere or a few other file-management tools if you want - just get a check done on the folder when you shut down / boot up,  or when the contents are more than 30 minutes old,  and any files still in the scanned folder get swept into Import land.

Again - with ScanSnap, there's a direct-to-EN option in your ScanSnap Manager - offers you either PDF or JPG import - and delegates the post-scan processing to EN.  Bypasses the "issue" entirely.

I guess EN could add a "delayed import" option for scanner-fed import folders to permit file completion/close.

/Schooner

• Level 5*

If you do scan direct to Evernote with the ScanSnap it bypasses Import Folders completely and creates a note when the scan is completed.  It's only when scanning to folder that the scanner and Evernote have a fight - not sure which one is misbehaving there,  but I'm sure a file open in one app shouldn't be accessed by another.  However the workaround gives you the chance to edit and rename files if necessary so it's good for me...

• 1 year later...

The problem I had with scan direct was that is was SLOW in comparison.  So I would scan a document, and have to wait a minute or more (checking the screen) until Evernote had finished.  Scanning direct to an Evernote import folder is MUCH faster.

Archived