(Archived) Running both desktop EN and Win 8 EN on a 64GB tablet

groovebak

I've read from various postings that you can run both EN for Windows and EN's Windows 8 app on the same tablet.  If so, does each app maintain a separate (i.e., two) database locally or do both run off of the same database?  My concern is that I ordered a 64-GB tablet (budget reasons) and I imagine 20 gigs of data will just about push that capacity to its outer limits.  Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Bryan

I'm running a W8 laptop but haven't found two databases (yet) - I'd suggest you worry about this if it proves a problem..

Good point. I guess I'm anticipating it to be an issue because  64GB just doesn't sound like much if you factor in the OS and preloaded software.  I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks.

The different versions (Touch and Desktop) use a different storage format, because the touch apps have some sort of isolation.

You wont find the touch database too easily because it is hidden and you have to mess with some other permission settings to get to it.

So, they will use different databases, yes. dlu had a better explaination as to why, somewhere...if I can find it.

EDIT: This one:

Hi!

Unfortunately they can't use the same database. The app from the Windows Store is sandboxed and lives in its own little world (so to speak). That app is also brand spanking new, so it's not as mature or feature rich as the Desktop version we've come to know and love.

That being said, I think it also depends on what world you use more often. If you're exclusively using the desktop side of things, stick with the desktop app. If you love the new style, enjoying the new touch interactions and on a tablet of some sort, you'll probably end up mostly using Windows Store apps.

Ah, I see. I guess I'll have to pick one. Looks like dlu wrote that in late 2012.  I wonder if he would consider the Win 8 app feature-rich enough at this point.  It's beginning to look like I'll have to go with the desktop version. Do you know if the database can be stored on a micro-SD card?

Btw, thanks for the input, Scott--as well as for the shared Help notebooks!

Archived