(Archived) Evernote for iOS 7 feedback

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having an issue with scroll position on iOS devices (both my iPhone 5 and iPad 3rd generation have iOS7).

A couple pestilential use cases:

1. I add something to the bottom of a note, press 'Done' on the keyboard, the keyboard is dismissed, but the scroll position does not stay at the bottom. Sometimes it jumps all the way to the top.

2. If I leave the app for a bit and come back. The scroll position seems to have magically moved to the top rather than stay at the bottom.

My uneducated guess is that in both of these cases, a sync occurred and it somehow affected the scroll position.

• 2 weeks later...

Evernote was simple. A simple note taking app. I liked it.

I no longer like it. In fact, I despise it. It's not often an update can so alienate its users. What a complex mess you have created here. What are trying to be? Just be a note taking app!

At least there's no shortage of alternatives out there....

In the hope that maybe you'll listen to customer feedback: please just bring back the tiled home screen with all my notebooks sitting there nicely.

Hi, new user here, I only had the joy to use the previous version for a couple of months before upgrading. It still serves it's purpose (I'm using it for Getting Things Done) but it's definitely less efficient.

A few things I've noticed:

- When I add a new note, the cursor is in the body of the note, not the heading. That makes it an extra click to write the note, and the cursor is difficult to get into the heading. The old version the cursor started in the heading.

- To delete a note, I have to first click 'more' and then click delete. Again, that's an extra click every time I delete a note, which is a lot.

- When I open a notebook, the heading says 'All Notes' - clearly it should be the name of the notebook I open. I've found myself having to go back and reopen the notebook to make sure I'm in the right one. That's an extra 2 clicks.

I like having the shortcuts menu so accessible but would appreciate a return to the efficiency of the previous version.

Thanks...

- When I add a new note, the cursor is in the body of the note, not the heading. That makes it an extra click to write the note, and the cursor is difficult to get into the heading. The old version the cursor started in the heading.

This is a major irritation for me too. I want to create the tite of the note first but the title isn't even in view and so it's a faff to do. Every single time I create a new note this 'feature' annoys me!

From Evernote's release notes for IOS7.

"We also implemented a much-requested feature: as soon as the note editor opens, the cursor moves into the note body with the keyboard in view. No extra taps required to get your idea down."

Perhaps if Evernote actually surveyed their users they would have discovered that some people prefer it one way and others another. Hence the logical choice would be to give users the option, which will hopefully come very soon.

I no longer like it. In fact, I despise it. It's not often an update can so alienate its users. What a complex mess you have created here. What are trying to be? Just be a note taking app!

At least there's no shortage of alternatives out there....

In the hope that maybe you'll listen to customer feedback: please just bring back the tiled home screen with all my notebooks sitting there nicely.

IME, every time there is a major change to a software app, any app, there will be people who dislike it.  This happened when EN Windows client moved from 3.1 to 4.x as well.  It just goes with the program.  I'm sure part of it is people often are averse to change.   And guess what?  When there is a major upgrade to a software app, there are people who either like the change or don't mind it.  Personally, I don't mind the changes.  I can't say I loved one version over another.  I just like Evernote & use it often.  If software doesn't evolve, it stagnates.  I'm sure EN "listens" to customer feedback.  But customer feedback isn't just this forum or even the reviews in the App store or the Mac store.  It's also in the number of users as well as the number of paid users. 

If you like "a simple note taking app", then there are plenty of them out there that may be better suited to your needs.

Evernote has never said they were a note taking app, simple or otherwise. They bill themselves as a system to store lots of different kinds of data that you can find quickly across multiple platforms. The text editing features are kind of an add on. They are certainly some of Evernote's weaker features. 

If you want a nice note taking program that works well with Evernote (and lots of other services), I can't recommend Drafts highly enough. The interface is very clean, easy to work with. If you want to send what you've typed to Evernote, it takes two taps. And, unlike Evernote, it supports TextExpander. For something even simpler, try the accurately named Simple Note. 

Best of luck. 

- In EN 7, a search for "Elephant" fails to find notes which contain "Elephants", "Elephant-like", etc. In other words, only exact searches work. In pre-7.0-Evernote, "Elephant" would also have found "Elephants", "Picture" would also have found "Pictures", and so on.

This behavior makes finding all relevant notes more time consuming (in a mobile environment, no less) and is inconsistent with other Evernote clients.

P.S.: The issue number under which this has been reported is 184417.

...aaaand it has been fixed in 7.1.2! Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

Evernote has never said they were a note taking app, simple or otherwise. They bill themselves as a system to store lots of different kinds of data that you can find quickly across multiple platforms. The text editing features are kind of an add on. They are certainly some of Evernote's weaker features. 

If you want a nice note taking program that works well with Evernote (and lots of other services), I can't recommend Drafts highly enough. The interface is very clean, easy to work with. If you want to send what you've typed to Evernote, it takes two taps. And, unlike Evernote, it supports TextExpander. For something even simpler, try the accurately named Simple Note. 

Best of luck. 

+1 on Drafts (at least for iPhone)

• 3 weeks later...

+ 1 for drafts - using that for Evernote on iPhone.  

There is a problem with Evernote design and engineering.  They need Steve Jobs to come back (to get rid of all the distracting side products)  and to sack Scott Forstall and buy up the Drafts team.

There is a problem with Evernote design and engineering.  They need Steve Jobs to come back (to get rid of all the distracting side products)  and to sack Scott Forstall and buy up the Drafts team.

I never knew Steve Jobs worked for Evernote.

I never knew Steve Jobs worked for Evernote.

Not to mention he's dead.

Archived