(Archived) Welp! EN 5 won't even load anymore

groovebak

EN 5 was fine last night (save a couple of crashes).  Now I just can't load it up.  It gives me the following error message right before it shuts down.

"Runtime error!

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe

This applicaton has requested Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Anyone know how to fix this?  Thanks!

Did you use Revo uninstaller when uninstalling?

Also a reboot after uninstalling may help.

Do you have a recent backup of your database you can restore from?

One thing they may have you do is try rebuilding your database. There are steps to take if you have any local/non-synced notes, including any in local notebooks. But if you can't get EN to load & you don't have a recent backup, that may not be an option for you. To rebuild your database from the EN servers (and assuming you do NOT have any unsync'd notes), you fully exit EN & make sure there are no elephants in the system tray. Then rename your user-name.exb file. (I would suggest renaming rather than deleting). Then invoke EN. You will need to provide login credentials & then your local database will be rebuilt from the EN servers.

And of course running a good anti virus and/or malware program can't hurt either.

BnF, I do have a recent backup of my dbase file. I just can't get EN to load at all even after uninstall/reboot/reinstall.

But have you tried fully exiting EN & renaming the current exb file & copying the backup to be the live one? If something is boogered up in the current exb file, that might be causing EN to throw up the runtime error.

I will try moving the backup exb to the live one.  Unfortunately,I can't really "fully exit" out of EN because it crashes and shuts down before I even have a chance to do so.

I would suggest copying rather than moving. That way you still have a good file, in case something muffs up.

You can fully exit EN by using task manager, if necessary. You just need to make sure no EN app (IE clipper) has the live exb file open so that you can't swap it out.

Ok, did everything as you suggested, BnF. Thanks for all the help.  At least now I've gotten past loading the program. I can see the newest note as 5 days ago (which was the date of my last backup), but I can't really do anything with it yet. It's been "not responding" for about 10 minutes now. Is this because it's still syncing? Or should I force exit out of it and reload?  I don't think I added that many new notes in 5 days, so maybe the app is frozen?

Ok, did everything as you suggested, BnF. Thanks for all the help.  At least now I've gotten past loading the program. I can see the newest note as 5 days ago (which was the date of my last backup), but I can't really do anything with it yet. It's been "not responding" for about 10 minutes now. Is this because it's still syncing? Or should I force exit out of it and reload?  I don't think I added that many new notes in 5 days, so maybe the app is frozen?

Did you run an anti virus/malware app?  Maybe defrag the hard drive? 

If the backup was from five days ago & it was working fine for the next ~four days, it sounds like there might be something muffed up with the computer. 

Do you use any local notebooks? 

If the sync icon is spinning, it is still sync'ing.  Sometimes I get a "not responding" when it's syncing & then it comes back again.

If you think the app may be hung up, if it were me, the next thing I'd try is fully exiting the app & renaming the exb file so you don't have a user-name.exb file.  Then when you invoke EN, you will need to provide login credentials & the database will be rebuilt from the EN servers.  Of course this will not include any non-sync'd notes, including local notebooks. 

This is pretty much all I've got.  So if this doesn't resolve the problem, then you should probably discuss with EN staff.  They will probably also want to take a look at your log files.

Good luck.

Woohoo! Success! Thanks for everything, BnF! It's working fine now. Yeah, it just took a little while to sync.  I'm going to implement a more frequent and double backup system (local and cloud) as a result of this experience.  I thought I was going to fall significantly behind with my deadline and end up cursing all weekend, but thanks to you, half a day took care of the problem. Still no idea how it started, but just thankful that it's over.

Thanks again for all your help!

Woohoo! Success! Thanks for everything, BnF! It's working fine now. Yeah, it just took a little while to sync.  I'm going to implement a more frequent and double backup system (local and cloud) as a result of this experience.  I thought I was going to fall significantly behind with my deadline and end up cursing all weekend, but thanks to you, half a day took care of the problem. Still no idea how it started, but just thankful that it's over.

Thanks again for all your help!

AWESOME!!!  You're welcome & glad I was able to help!

Archived