Evernote for iOS 7

gbarry

Idea

• Level 5*

Is it possible to have the notes list display titles only as per the previous version?

I don't want snippet view or card view for my notes list ... just the titles like I had before!

Unfortunately, I am afraid we seem to have lost the "list-y" snippet view.

The list view would seem to be the easiest view to implement and consistently has many devoted users.  Yet, it is removed from the latest version.   I hope they decide to make it available again in the near future.   Also a toggle to remove the announcements section from the home page would be beneficial.  It takes up a lot of unnecessary space.

• Level 5*

The list view would seem to be the easiest view to implement and consistently has many devoted users.  Yet, it is removed from the latest version.   I hope they decide to make it available again in the near future.   Also a toggle to remove the announcements section from the home page would be beneficial.  It takes up a lot of unnecessary space.

The list-y snippet view (not really a list view, but pretty close in practice) will be missed. The announcements line of text doesn't bother me at all, and it doesn't seem to take up so much space to me, but I can certainly see why someone would want to toggle off what essentially amounts to an ad alert.

When using Evernote, the most important immediate action item is SEARCH (second most immediate is "add")

Search function should be at the top of the home page !  

Now you have to go down to Notes, then hit search, then enter search.

I don't understand why not on top of home page, or why not on bottom bar.  Is there a way to make search a shortcut ? 

You waste the precious top space with "Announcements" and "Shortcuts" - move those down and put search at top !

I'm going to throw in with everyone who wants to get rid of the announcement bar at the top. In that very announcement you claim to want to do away with bloat like a tags section showing for people who don't use tags, and yet you have immovable announcements right up top? C'mon guys. 

Also +1 to search at the top. And please bring back Places, I can't believe that was just removed!

• Level 5*

When using Evernote, the most important immediate action item is SEARCH (second most immediate is "add")

Search function should be at the top of the home page !  

Now you have to go down to Notes, then hit search, then enter search.

I don't understand why not on top of home page, or why not on bottom bar.  Is there a way to make search a shortcut ? 

You waste the precious top space with "Announcements" and "Shortcuts" - move those down and put search at top !

I agree that it would be nice to have the search bar prominently displayed on every screen somewhere. However, if you just exit your notes from the All Notes list (or anywhere other than the "home" screen) you'll have immediate access to the search. Personally, I find the home screen a little limiting because you lose most of the screen real estate (blurred out). I'm always on All Notes using the advanced search grammar. If you do that, you don't have to navigate using the icons (use notebook: tag: and so forth instead).

• Level 5*

I'm going to throw in with everyone who wants to get rid of the announcement bar at the top. In that very announcement you claim to want to do away with bloat like a tags section showing for people who don't use tags, and yet you have immovable announcements right up top? C'mon guys.

Also +1 to search at the top. And please bring back Places, I can't believe that was just removed!

Good point about Places. My own approach to using Evernote has been to use the least amount of functions as possible so that I can still navigate my notes and use the app even if features disappear.

For example, the intitle: search is crucial for navigating notes in my system (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=367). However, we have just lost the ability to use this search grammar in iOS 7. We have lost the ability to use this search function in the past, though, and we have also lost various navigational tools like sort options and so forth, so I have a kind of "backup" with the random character codes I also use just in case. Each note gets at least one code corresponding to the content -- a journal entry will get a journal code and maybe a few others if it deals with work or maybe some project I am doing. Even without the advanced search grammar, I can navigate my notes just fine.

In your case, I'd put the location data at the bottom of each note. This will ensure that you can search on that data. If you only have a few major locations (in my case, my office, certain coffee shops, etc.) then you can use those random codes I mentioned.

Ideally, of course, features would never disappear, but I think that in order to remain sane and in control of your notes over the long term (I think I have been using Evernote for five+ years now), you have to be prepared for features to come and go on occasion. It is a work in progress.

• Level 5*

About announcements--that area should actually drop to the bottom the minute you've checked out all announcements. We don't leave it at the top indefinitely.

Hmmmm.... I never check the announcements. I've already read them once on the blogs, again in emails I receive from Evernote, and even a third time on my Mac. Reading them again on the iPad seems a little redundant :)

I'm not sure the current implementation makes sense for some folks (like me). But, then again, maybe I am an edge case in this regard as well. I actually like the ads Evernote feeds us. LOL. Well, I like them the first time I see them...

Still, it seems to me better to give users control over their user interface, doesn't it?

Good point about Places. My own approach to using Evernote has been to use the least amount of functions as possible so that I can still navigate my notes and use the app even if features disappear.

For example, the intitle: search is crucial for navigating notes in my system (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=367). However, we have just lost the ability to use this search grammar in iOS 7. We have lost the ability to use this search function in the past, though, and we have also lost various navigational tools like sort options and so forth, so I have a kind of "backup" with the random character codes I also use just in case. Each note gets at least one code corresponding to the content -- a journal entry will get a journal code and maybe a few others if it deals with work or maybe some project I am doing. Even without the advanced search grammar, I can navigate my notes just fine.

In your case, I'd put the location data at the bottom of each note. This will ensure that you can search on that data. If you only have a few major locations (in my case, my office, certain coffee shops, etc.) then you can use those random codes I mentioned.

Ideally, of course, features would never disappear, but I think that in order to remain sane and in control of your notes over the long term (I think I have been using Evernote for five+ years now), you have to be prepared for features to come and go on occasion. It is a work in progress.

For the sake of streamlining I just wanted to respond to this here as well as in the original thread about Places, and I will just continue the conversation here from now on:

I get that solution when you're just trying to keep track of basic locations, like as you mentioned "Home" "Office", etc, but when you're in the city and need to see which of your client locations are near each other to create an itinerary for the day, it's essentially useless. May as well go back to using Google Maps. 

About announcements--that area should actually drop to the bottom the minute you've checked out all announcements.  We don't leave it at the top indefinitely.

Okay so if I go through to announcements and open every single one on there separately (there were 12), the announcement bar disappears. Got it.

My immediate list of complaints:

• It looks just as awful as the rest of iOS 7
  • I cannot disable synchronisation of shortcuts rendering the feature next to useless to me; I also lament the fact that I can no longer access them from everywhere 
  • The announcement center is very naughty. Shame on you Evernote

For all its flaws, the previous version felt better. Sorry, Phil, no, can't say I like it.

+1 to move Search back to the top of the home page

+1 provide a means to dismiss/remove Announcements for those of us who may have viewed it in email or blog...seems like overkill

Concerned about the wasted real estate on the iPad when viewing All Notes. Make the notes wider, or double them up, etc. At least allow for the gestures to work on the side rather than having to scroll from the centre where the notes are - awkward with one hand.

Is it possible to have the notes list display titles only as per the previous version?

I don't want snippet view or card view for my notes list ... just the titles like I had before!

Unfortunately, I am afraid we seem to have lost the "list-y" snippet view.

Does this mean there's only card view now? After all the complaints about missing list view in the previous version? I had just started using EN again after a long time with plain TXT files and haven't updated yet (and won't if it means losing snippet view).

• Level 5*

What happened to the indent icons? They are there, but are greyed out and non-responsive on my iPad Mini. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this?

That is kind of a mystery to me as well. I cannot get them to work on the iPad. My guess (I have no inside knowledge) is that the icons represent a feature the developers planned to put into the app, but couldn't at the last minute, so this is an indication that they will have it ready on the next update.

As far as all of the other options are concerned, the fact that they weren't on other clients always made them seem prime targets for cutting on updates, and I was surprised they kept them around during the last major update. Maybe they will come back (I have no inside knowledge), but the signs don't look promising (no grayed out icons for those!).

We talking on iPhone or iPad?  On iPad, you have about the same number of notes in snippet view (if not more) as the old list view because of the way we used to present list view--we just use more of the iPad's real estate now.

What happened to the indent icons? They are there, but are greyed out and non-responsive on my iPad Mini. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this?

The indent icons presently become active when you are working with a bulleted or numbered list.  Also checkboxes.

• Level 5*

On the iPad, I cannot remember how many lines I could see, but if it were list-y snippet view now, then I could see that much more. I'd appreciate it.

Indent seems to work differently, then. My memory is that we could indent before without making lists (essentially like CMD + Shift + ] on the Mac), but it did seem to indent a different amount than indenting on the Mac, so I am not sure exactly what it was using (blockquote?) to form it before.

Anyhow, it appears to me that two features (among others) were lost in the upgrade to iOS 7: list-y snippet and indent (without needing lists). My suggestion would be to put them back into the app.

I'm running Evernote Premium on my iPad mini and iPhone 5.

Issues since update:

iPad mini

-pasting (of all things) does not work

iPhone 5

-won't even load, insta crash.  Loaded a few times since the update but now, nothing.  Soft reset my phone and stuff.  I guess I could try reinstalling, I'll try that now.

I use this paid app for EVERYTHING and need it for work tomorrow.  Pretty sad right now.  :\

All right, reinstalling fixed it.  But, to me, it's a bit unstable.  Which is to be expected on an over haul and new OS. 

We talking on iPhone or iPad?  On iPad, you have about the same number of notes in snippet view (if not more) as the old list view because of the way we used to present list view--we just use more of the iPad's real estate now.

iPhone - I can only get about 4 1/2 Snippet notes on the screen.

• Level 5*

Yeah, but with the old version, you only get 5, and what is shown in the 5th that is cut out of your 1/2 isn't too much, so not sure this is a big deal. JMHO.

For it to be meaningful for me, we'd need a pure list with just the note title, just like on Windows.

Yeah, but with the old version, you only get 5, and what is shown in the 5th that is cut out of your 1/2 isn't too much, so not sure this is a big deal. JMHO.

For it to be meaningful for me, we'd need a pure list with just the note title, just like on Windows.

Of course, you're right.  I would prefer to have a pure list view but I hate to see them moving in the wrong direction, even if it's only 1/2 a note.  :)

On the paragraph styles issue you can copy a title style from an existing note prepared before EN7 and copy it into a new note. Then backspace over the text and type in a new title. The title will have all the old formatting and typing return will return the next line to normal text. Then just copy that title from the new note and repeat. Not very elegant but it will work until the styles are brought back in the next update - I sincerely hope!!

Thanks for your continued work to improve. I like the overall look and feel of the newest version.

Couple notes on newest version in iOS7

1. is typically slower than previous version and intermittently freezes..perhaps it's syncing in background and user can't see that?
  2. we need an easier way to manually sync..an icon on the main screen
  3. please add list view

EN user since 2008. 

Since i upgraded to the iOS 7 compatible version, all of my emails that i put into notebooks will not come up. I open the note they are in and click on the .eml file and it comes up saying "open in" with choices, one of which is Mail. Always before, when i chose that it would open the email in my Outlook account. Now it just goes to the most recently opened email in Outlook and the one i am trying to open is not even in the email list. This happens on both my iPhone and iPad. The emails still open fine on both my iMac and MacAir, so it is a problem with the iOS versions.

Real problem since i have tons of emails in EN so that i can access them on the go. It was the main reason i started using EN and it worked perfectly every time in previous versions.

Any ideas?

Great new look and features. 

I'm still waiting to see a more visual display of which of my files may be viewed offline, as opposed to those I'd have to download first, (if I'm restricted to wifi). 

It's annoying opening a file on a portable device (which has a preview of content) to find out there is no content available without the Internet. 

So, I propose having colour-codes (or something visual) to show which files are already immediately 'viewable'. Either that or have no content preview for those files which are not yet downloaded. (Or both of these features). 

Where can contributors vote for this? 

For the sake of streamlining I just wanted to respond to this here as well as in the original thread about Places, and I will just continue the conversation here from now on:

I get that solution when you're just trying to keep track of basic locations, like as you mentioned "Home" "Office", etc, but when you're in the city and need to see which of your client locations are near each other to create an itinerary for the day, it's essentially useless. May as well go back to using Google Maps. 

Totally agree. But in my case I have a lot of clients & I can manage them only with clients locations in notes. Searching in base of >150 notes is impossible now. So the app is useless for me. Pity.

Love the new look, but the app is very broken. Often only see a few notes and scroll through what appears to be a blank column. Or will click a note and another note opens. Or the newest note, which should be at the top, isn't. It's generally in a very early beta state.

Totally agree. But in my case I have a lot of clients & I can manage them only with clients locations in notes. Searching in base of >150 notes is impossible now. So the app is useless for me. Pity.

I can still search exactly the same way I searched before.  Locations in the title, in the body, no idea what "base" is though.  I agree, it's a little glitchy now and then, it loads up every time I need it now and it's not like is not functioning, it is. 

• Level 5*

Since i upgraded to the iOS 7 compatible version, all of my emails that i put into notebooks will not come up. I open the note they are in and click on the .eml file and it comes up saying "open in" with choices, one of which is Mail. Always before, when i chose that it would open the email in my Outlook account. Now it just goes to the most recently opened email in Outlook and the one i am trying to open is not even in the email list. This happens on both my iPhone and iPad. The emails still open fine on both my iMac and MacAir, so it is a problem with the iOS versions.

Real problem since i have tons of emails in EN so that i can access them on the go. It was the main reason i started using EN and it worked perfectly every time in previous versions.

Any ideas?

How do you have Outlook on your iOS device?

• Level 5

I sure do like the built-in markup tools, without having to roundtrip to other apps.

I was on a missing person search and it was handy being able to share a note in an online post with a marked up map of areas searched.

I could just keep re-editing the attached screen capture of the map, and using the highlighting marker to draw routes and shade areas.  It was so seemless to be able to update real-time while walking.

• Level 5

[edit: poof and there it is in the updates]

Was there something else you wanted to announce?  3m seems to be offering a lot of tips and help for something that can't be found anywhere on the Evernote properties.

[edit: poof and now it's there on the blog ]

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22205-post-its-evernote/?p=229682

resource.png

skitch.png

• Level 5

The marketing genius here is all about color.

You're in the stationary section...

Do you buy the Post-it Canary Yellow 3x3 12 pads/pack for $16

or do you buy the Staples Stickies 3x3 "yellow" 12/pack for $8.99?

The only difference is the sticky notes per dollar and the shade of yellow.

The shade of yellow is trademarked

Now you have one more reason to pay the higher price

The Evernote ones will automatically get tagged and go to a specific notebook in Evernote.

But there's more...  What will the price be of the specific Evernote color palate?

It's hard to compare as they aren't available in the same quantity packs, but at Seattle Staples, they're $6.99 for a 4 pack (no bulk available yet).

Also unclear is if there's a difference in scan detection ability between:

• 3m Post-it Super Sticky 3x3 Limeade/Electric Yellow/Electric Blue/Neon Pink ($8.99/5 pack)
  • 3m Post-it Super Sticky 3x3 Evernote Limeade/Electric Yellow/Electric Blue/Neon Pink ($6.99/4 pack)

What I do know is that, Grand and Toy sticky "yellow" isn't recognized/tagged/routed

The generic 3m Post-it is "Canary yellow", but the Evernote equivalent is "Electric Yellow".

Post-it Canary yellow can be had for $10.50 20 pads per pack, but Evernote users won't be buying bulk now I guess?

Price per sticky:

• Post-it Canary Yellow (bulk-ish): 0.58 pennies/note
  • Post-it Canary Yellow (non-bulk): 1.5 pennies/note
  • Post-it Electric Yellow: 2 pennies/note
  • Post-it Evernote Electric Yellow: 1.9 pennies/note
  • Staples Yellow: 0.8 pennies/note

Evernote 5 for iOS 6 had, despite its flaws, slowly evolved into a fairly useful app. It only lasted so long.

The more I use Everbloat for iOS 7 the more I hate it. Open the app, and all I see is green, green, green. Washed out and difficult to navigate trough. I also have realised how much I used the "force sync"-button before. The amount of spam was bad enough with the protrusive announcement section as it were. Imagine my reaction when I realised there are now also ads for third party stuff. (Edit: Stuff, I cannot even buy, since this is US only. So, literally useless waste of space.)

But fortunately, there are also more gimmicks. Post-It® Notes. Seriously? Pointless Moleskine stickies feature felt lonely, you reckoned? I'd be happy to pay more as a premium user so you could spend your time on developing something useful instead of feeling the need to come up with these stunts to earn money.

i agree!

I also need Remainders button on the first super confusional and green first page, not your advertising becouse i pay for your service...I

I do a intensive use of EN for my job. i loved EN till last week, but now I hate it. I hate it and I can't move on another platform or downgrade to the previous release...:( i'm EN's prisoner.

This is the EN's great flop!

• Level 5

The amount of spam was bad enough with the protrusive announcement section as it were. Imagine my reaction when I realised there are now also ads for third party stuff. (Edit: Stuff, I cannot even buy, since this is US only. So, literally useless waste of space.)

But fortunately, there are also more gimmicks. Post-It® Notes. Seriously? Pointless Moleskine stickies feature felt lonely, you reckoned? I'd be happy to pay more as a premium user so you could spend your time on developing something useful instead of feeling the need to come up with these stunts to earn money.

The green? Meh, personal thing.  I quite like it, so do others.  It's a hard thing to please everyone.  It's what gives Pantone a business model.

Strangely again finding myself on this side of the fence, but I'm riding the role of counter balance today I guess.

1.  I agree that the announcements should be easier to set to "read all" whether I did or not.  We could argue if it should be a pref to remove altogether.  But there are valid points to be made in the area of discoverability.  And particularly in the Post-PC world there are a lot of and a growing number of people who would never see that stuff if it was only in a browser.  I don't mind a place holder that shows visibility when there's something new there, but gets out of the way.  I for one don't really want the announcements slot gone altogether.  In there in the app, in an Evernote context, and discovering something new that might solve my evernote problems, IS useful to me.  Says he with a hole app folder of 12-15 Evernote related apps and clients.

2.  The market.  I too am not thrilled to see the huge chunk of space it consumes, rather than just the one line of Announcements when they're all read.  But even not being in the US, I still find value there.  Similar reasons to above.  For example I just discovered a Jot stylus there before posting this, that I'm intrigued by, and didn't see when I was on Jot's website last week.  And while it does hide away until you scroll to it, sure, I'll buy that it takes up too much space, especially in a Premium account.

3. Post-it, Moleskin et al.  We have to dance wit the one wut brung us.  Clearly there aren't enough premium customers to support the business model (see the vast millions from the finance rounds).  There's a cost to that.  You needed to look at that with eyes wide open when signing on.  Revenue stream and return on that investment is going to inform a certain arc of feature set.  To complain, is like those who move in to Airport flight paths, and along rail right-of-way and then complain about the noise.  ANY free or free-esque service gets lots of scrutiny and weighing by users like me before jumping in with both feet, because it takes so much effort to step out if you failed to grok the consequences of the revenue model.

That said...  let's be fair.  Were we not already taking pictures of paper documents to store in Evernote?  You bet.

Document mode IS an improvement for those, even if you don't integrate with moleskin (and I don't).

I do happen to take pictures of other people's post-it's.  And I happened to take pictures of post-its this morning right before the update, and then took pictures of the same post-its after the update, in all modes (picture, document, post-it).

Even apart from the tagging and routing (which would be useful to me), because I'm not using Post-it brand colors, there are demonstrable benefits from using those tailored modes.

It's not just spackle and fluff (and believe me, I've poked at the devs with those very same pointy sticks, in other threads where I felt it appropriate).

Another vote to:

1. Add search to the home page.

2. Remove "announcements" from the home page. I opened every single last one of them (there were 12!), and the bar has NOT gone away. So the first thing I see every time I open Evernote is essentially an ad bar. Feels like spam.

• Level 5

i agree!

I also need Remainders button on the first super confusional and green first page

So then why not just not force quit Evernote?

Launch Evernote and click into all notes.

The reminders are right there at the bottom.

It shows how many, and you can tap into viewing the list.

Or create a saved search for Reminders or whatever sub-set of them you need, and click into that.

Now go do something else, use other apps.

[Time goes by]

Return to Evernote via the App switcher, or just hitting the Evernote icon again.

Voila, you're still on the same page as when you left.  No announcements, no market place.

That takes no effort.

But you know what.  Me as counter point again...

I kinda like that first overview screen.

The quick note area is great.

The quick clicks into all the different "recent" items, and the shortcuts.

Unlike you, I have to expend screen taps backing all the way to that first overview screen each and every time to get what I want.

You get to just launch right into where-ever you left off, without any of the stuff I have to navigate back to each and every time...

(part jest, part true, but you get the point...)

I also have realised how much I used the "force sync"-button before. 

? It's there: 

Evernote%20Camera%20Roll%2020130926%2012

Yes, I realise I can do it trough the settings. However, I meant the synchronization wheel that was front and center in iOS 6 and just about any other Evernote application I know of. Sync is the most important feature of Evernote, it should not be hidden away as it is the first and last thing you do when using the app.

• Level 5

Yes, I realise I can do it trough the settings. However, I meant the synchronization wheel that was front and center in iOS 6 and just about any other Evernote application I know of. Sync is the most important feature of Evernote, it should not be hidden away as it is the first and last thing you do when using the app.

I think Steve Jobs might say, "You're holding [it] wrong" Where [it] is an old UI model in-congruent with the iOS way...

The notion that informs that is that you shouldn't need to take up UI space with a control that shouldn't for the most part need manual invoking.

Besides the periodic updates, as soon as you edit a note and leave it to do something else, you'll see, ever so briefly, the sync indicator in the upper right corner of the note that it's immediately synced to the cloud.  No manual sync required (like there is on the desktop).

Likewise, any time you return focus to Evernote on iOS, it does a background sync (again unlike the desktop client).

This thread is on the one hand complaining about wasted UI space to controls and indicators they (not all) don't want, and on the other asking for the return of UI clutter they shouldn't need.

You have a "dedicated" sync button on iOS which takes no UI space at all.

Double tap the sleep button on top.

Voila.  Sync in the blink of an eye.

Or double tap the home button and re-select Evernote again in the multi-task selector.

(for the skeptical, create a new note on the desktop and manual sync.  Then do either of the above, and instantly the new note will appear in the iOS Evernote client).

• Level 5*

I think Steve Jobs might say, "You're holding [it] wrong" Where [it] is an old UI model in-congruent with the iOS way...

The notion that informs that is that you shouldn't need to take up UI space with a control that shouldn't for the most part need manual invoking.

Besides the periodic updates, as soon as you edit a note and leave it to do something else, you'll see, ever so briefly, the sync indicator in the upper right corner of the note that it's immediately synced to the cloud.  No manual sync required (like there is on the desktop).

Likewise, any time you return focus to Evernote on iOS, it does a background sync (again unlike the desktop client).

This thread is on the one hand complaining about wasted UI space to controls and indicators they (not all) don't want, and on the other asking for the return of UI clutter they shouldn't need.

Voila.  Instant sync.

In theory. When your notes don't sync (as they haven't with mine account), then you have no way of determining this short of going onto the Web or your desktop to check. Pressing the force-sync doesn't help.

In my case, one note began on my desktop, was synced to the Web, ended up on the iPad, but disappeared from both the Web and the laptop. It stopped syncing (apparently), though it mysteriously showed up on my laptop after I deleted the iPad app and all of my notes from my desktop account. Weird.

In short, without the tools to diagnose problems when they occur, users are oblivious to problems, and they are ultimately left without confidence in the integrity of their data. The announcements thing? Not a big deal to me (I understand if it is to others). The lack of diagnostic tools? A big deal (I understand if no one else cares).

About announcements--that area should actually drop to the bottom the minute you've checked out all announcements.  We don't leave it at the top indefinitely.

Like several other people, I read them on my PC, and in emails. Now you want me to go through it all again on my ipad? The announcements are advertising and as a premium user I would like to be able to switch them off and that goes for the market section as well.

The amount of spam was bad enough with the protrusive announcement section as it were. Imagine my reaction when I realised there are now also ads for third party stuff. (Edit: Stuff, I cannot even buy, since this is US only. So, literally useless waste of space.)

The green? Meh, personal thing.  I quite like it, so do others.  It's a hard thing to please everyone.  It's what gives Pantone a business model.

It is not about the colour. It is about everything looking the same in this washed out interface. Nothing to separate the different sections from each other and figure out where you are and what to click. It doesn't help that some elements moves around (the Announcement) from time to time. This has nothing to do with pleasing anyone's aesthetical senses, but all to do with usability - an area where Evernote unfortunately often falls short.

1.  I agree that the announcements should be easier to set to "read all" whether I did or not.  We could argue if it should be a pref to remove altogether.  But there are valid points to be made in the area of discoverability.  And particularly in the Post-PC world there are a lot of and a growing number of people who would never see that stuff if it was only in a browser.  I don't mind a place holder that shows visibility when there's something new there, but gets out of the way.  I for one don't really want the announcements slot gone altogether.  In there in the app, in an Evernote context, and discovering something new that might solve my evernote problems, IS useful to me.  Says he with a hole app folder of 12-15 Evernote related apps and clients.

It should be gone for premium users. Period. Just like the "Premium" tab in the old version. I can't think of any other app that spams their own users with content that is readily discoverable by way of following Evernote on twitter, Facebook and the like. There's never any news in the announcement center. That I have to scroll trough everything daily is just not acceptable, and, as said above, it is also a usability problem.

2.  The market.  I too am not thrilled to see the huge chunk of space it consumes, rather than just the one line of Announcements when they're all read.  But even not being in the US, I still find value there.  Similar reasons to above.  For example I just discovered a Jot stylus there before posting this, that I'm intrigued by, and didn't see when I was on Jot's website last week.  And while it does hide away until you scroll to it, sure, I'll buy that it takes up too much space, especially in a Premium account.

These things have been readily discoverable in the Trunk for a long time. And I do appreciate that Evernote is actually making it even easier to purchase Evernote related goods. But I do not want to see it in my apps. It's clutter. At least, on the Mac client, we get to hide both the announcement section, the trunk and now the market. Why force feed Premium users on their iOS apps?

3. Post-it, Moleskin et al.  We have to dance wit the one wut brung us.  Clearly there aren't enough premium customers to support the business model (see the vast millions from the finance rounds).  There's a cost to that.  You needed to look at that with eyes wide open when signing on.  Revenue stream and return on that investment is going to inform a certain arc of feature set.  To complain, is like those who move in to Airport flight paths, and along rail right-of-way and then complain about the noise.  ANY free or free-esque service gets lots of scrutiny and weighing by users like me before jumping in with both feet, because it takes so much effort to step out if you failed to grok the consequences of the revenue model.

Let's just say I bought the house and moved in before I knew they'd build airports and railways in may backyard.

That said...  let's be fair.  Were we not already taking pictures of paper documents to store in Evernote?  You bet.

Document mode IS an improvement for those,

Sure. I shoot pictures of various scraps of papers and documents with my iPhone all the time and stick them in Evernote. But I never use the built in features. I use third party apps that are vastly superior to Evernote's built in features that are just gimmicks. It angers me that they want me to go out an buy a specific brand of sticky notes and special Moleskines.
  • Level 5

Point hijack...

I have read your pain post.

I would never argue against good diagnotic indicators.

Nothing from your pain points argues for a dedicated sync UI control though.

I presume you're also comparing your sync with your iOS and desktop Evernote activity log?

I'll also never argue it's without bugs.

Even in writing these posts while I was round-tripping notes to confirm my points, I bumped into them.  But they have nothing to do with the implementation approach and UI decisions.

But for example I find great testing success with new notes pushed from one side to the other (your recent hesitation creating new notes on the iOS side noted).

However when I edited simple existing notes to observe the additional lines of identicle text being passed back and forth between clients, I did observe needing some poking for the other side to recognize that the note had been updated on the other client.  I haven't eye squinted to see what part of the chain of events were susceptible to gumming up the work.

Shouldn't need. But do need. You apparently aren't aware that things does not always work the way they're supposed to. So, it is actually often necessary to manually force an iPhone to sync (had to do it this afternoon where a grocery list refused to show up). Another thing is, that with the sync wheel in front, you had a visual indication that all your stuff is syncing. And I have to re-iterate that synchronisation is the single most important feature of Evernote. It should be front and center no matter what you know-it-alls think. It's as much clutter as a button to make a new note.

• Level 5*

Point hijack...

I have read your pain post.

I would never argue against good diagnotic indicators.

Nothing from your pain points argues for a dedicated sync UI control though.

I presume you're also comparing your sync with your iOS and desktop Evernote activity log?

I'll also never argue it's without bugs.

Even in writing these posts while I was round-tripping notes to confirm my points, I bumped into them.  But they have nothing to do with the implementation approach and UI decisions.

But for example I find great testing success with new notes pushed from one side to the other (your recent hesitation creating new notes on the iOS side noted).

However when I edited simple existing notes to observe the additional lines of identicle text being passed back and forth between clients, I did observe needing some poking for the other side to recognize that the note had been updated on the other client.  I haven't eye squinted to see what part of the chain of events were susceptible to gumming up the work.

In my opinion, sync indicators are critical components of the app. I don't consider them clutter. I want to see them on as many pages as possible. I used the force sync icon on a daily (maybe hourly) basis before. I would appreciate having it back.

• Level 5*

I agree. I find it frustrating that I am paying $10/mo for my account and front and center of the iOS app is announcements, which are often just advertising. And yay me - I get to see it on my iPhone and iPad. We should be able to hid them, at least Premium & Business users. It grates me a bit to pay and still see advertising.

I prefer to read EN announcements in Feedly on my own time, not have them thrust upon me when I open Evernote.

I just updated to 7.0.1 on the iPad (intentionally skipped 7.0 as I was waiting for a bug fix release.  I can't find the "sleep" button.  Can someone post a screen cap or explain where its located?  

• Level 5

It is not about the colour. It is about everything looking the same in this washed out interface. Nothing to separate the different sections from each other and figure out where you are and what to click. It doesn't help that some elements moves around (the Announcement) from time to time. This has nothing to do with pleasing anyone's aesthetical senses, but all to do with usability - an area where Evernote unfortunately often falls short.

I'm sure we must be using completely different apps then.  I see nothing but dividing lines, different patterned and shaded sections.  It's highly compartmentalized.  I've highlighted all the dividers. They even elastic band separate from one another when you scroll against the limits.  Surely this is the page you're referring to with "all I see is green, green, green" since everywhere else green is constrained to the system font, line oulines of UI controls, and the Status bar.  Good thing you say it's not the "green" per se.  Their branding flag is pretty firmly planted in green, and it would be hard to avoid.

post-97027-0-49942700-1380258095_thumb.p

On the usability, they lost a lot of ground, but I'm crediting (and encouraging them) by recognizing how their making positive steps back to that.  I see great improvement in the last 3 updates.

It should be gone for premium users. Period. Just like the "Premium" tab in the old version. I can't think of any other app that spams their own users with content that is readily discoverable by way of following Evernote on twitter, Facebook and the like. There's never any news in the announcement center. That I have to scroll trough everything daily is just not acceptable, and, as said above, it is also a usability problem.

These things have been readily discoverable in the Trunk for a long time. And I do appreciate that Evernote is actually making it even easier to purchase Evernote related goods. But I do not want to see it in my apps. It's clutter. At least, on the Mac client, we get to hide both the announcement section, the trunk and now the market. Why force feed Premium users on their iOS apps?

Stalemate I guess. I like that it's there (but as said, not the amount of space Market place is currently taking up). And somehow EN has to come to liviable union of the You's, the me's and the shareholders. I could say that sounds like 2 against 1, but I bet the you's and me's don't count as much as we think we might. But that horse left the barn when they took financing. They're clever to cater to both camps where they can, but they have no fiduciary responsibilities except to shareholders.

I can think of plenty of other apps which have self serving announcement areas.

It's a digital version of the "house ad" from the media world.

Even in the Evernote realm, the next most popular EN ios client "Clever" has had a Trunk/Apps item in the sidebar for a long time. And that's in the primary interface (left sidebar) that stays visible the whole time.

Let's just say I bought the house and moved in before I knew they'd build airports and railways in may backyard.

I guess you moved in prior to 2010 then. And like me, you joined the forums much later (both of our forum profiles post-date the first financing) though my evernote account was started in 2008 (customer #42,902)).

Sure. I shoot pictures of various scraps of papers and documents with my iPhone all the time and stick them in Evernote. But I never use the built in features. I use third party apps that are vastly superior to Evernote's built in features that are just gimmicks. It angers me that they want me to go out an buy a specific brand of sticky notes and special Moleskines.

When appropriate I do as well. But I also appreciate that finally the built in stuff offers a sufficient degree of control and editing that I no longer NEED to. I applaud them for not forcing me out of the app and round tripping everything. Evernote though can lead [horses] to a palate of tools, but can't force them to [drink] with them. Or something... The [water] may be less gimmicky than you think, compared to what they used to be. They've gone in the last 2 revs from something that wasted my time, so something that's actually saving it, and letting be get real work done. For example its actually LESS work to do screen markups in my posts in the EN client, than the bevy of 3rd party tools I used to use (ios or desktop).

As for the specific brands... Ok. At least their the cannonical gold standards of their fields. I suppose they could put in a Pantone color selector so we could tailor to our own brand choices. But A. that wouldn't pay their bills, and B. We'd argue here for months on where the UI control should go.

• Level 5

In my opinion, sync indicators are critical components of the app. I don't consider them clutter. I want to see them on as many pages as possible. I used the force sync icon on a daily (maybe hourly) basis before. I would appreciate having it back.

And they're still there.  it's not evernote's fault if the actual syncing happens so quickly that if you blink you miss it.

Leave a note, and the sync indicator is on "that" note for the duration of the sync.

When launching Evernote after a bunch of changes have been made, the sync is apparent as the notes are appearing before you.

We also have a system level sync indicator in the form of a spinning wheel in the title bar when data transfer is taking place.

• Level 5

I agree. I find it frustrating that I am paying $10/mo for my account and front and center of the iOS app is announcements, which are often just advertising. And yay me - I get to see it on my iPhone and iPad. We should be able to hid them, at least Premium & Business users. It grates me a bit to pay and still see advertising.

I prefer to read EN announcements in Feedly on my own time, not have them thrust upon me when I open Evernote.

Advertisers would counter that we'll pay $40, $80, $100 per month on cable, and yet almost 1/3 of each hour are ads.

Your tax dollars paid for the road you drive on, yet it still has billboards.

You paid to ride on the bus or in the taxi, yet both subject you to ads, inside and outside the vehicle.

You bought the magazine or newspaper yet it's substantially filled with ad content.

It's all American, and the great capitalism ideal to maximize profit.

Which means EN is leaving money on the table not offering a Premium+ plan to remove the house ads.

One of the other great debate threads goes "if I have to be served ads, they may as well be relevant".

EN's announcement and Market Place are targeted.  You presumably care about all things EN if you're living in the app.

Though I'd add that EN is also uniquely placed to be able to know (as the EN ecosystem grows) what kind of Evernotey things I'm likely to be interested in.

With the OAuth stuff, and developer API keys, they know all of the Evernote related apps we're already using, and thus in Tivo like fashion can deduce what we may be likely to also like.

Also, horror of horrors, we know they have great search indexing on all of our unencrypted Evernote content.

Is there anything to prevent them becoming a Google like company  and datamining the content they store for us (as Google does, Gmail, G+, Google Docs) in order to individually target based on interests.

Just saying...

Advertisers would counter that we'll pay $40, $80, $100 per month on cable, and yet almost 1/3 of each hour are ads.

You paid to ride on the bus or in the taxi, yet both subject you to ads, inside and outside the vehicle.

You bought the magazine or newspaper yet it's substantially filled with ad content.

Seriously?  LOL.  Naw, if I can't turn these in-app adds off on something I paid for, I'll stop using Evernote.  I don't use adware for software, period.

• Level 5*
And they're still there.  it's not evernote's fault if the actual syncing happens so quickly that if you blink you miss it.

Leave a note, and the sync indicator is on "that" note for the duration of the sync.

When launching Evernote after a bunch of changes have been made, the sync is apparent as the notes are appearing before you.

We also have a system level sync indicator in the form of a spinning wheel in the title bar when data transfer is taking place.

There was no sync indicator. Now there is with the most recent update (7.0.1). The problem (lack of sync indicators) has been solved.

To be clear, the problem was that notes were not syncing, we had no indicators, and the force sync was not working. I would call that Evernote's fault. I wasn't blaming Evernote for my lack of attention. I was blaming them for removing a crucial diagnostic tool.

I would still like to force a sync, and I would appreciate it if they bring the wheel back to the main page. I want to control my syncing, and I don't find the current placement convenient. In fact, I still think we are about a year behind where Android was in 2013 -- it gave you as much (more?) control over syncing than the desktop version of the app! I don't like to lose customizability. I'll pour one out for the feature tonight.

• Level 5

I just updated to 7.0.1 on the iPad (intentionally skipped 7.0 as I was waiting for a bug fix release.  I can't find the "sleep" button.  Can someone post a screen cap or explain where its located?  

Ah, not in Evernote.  On your ipad.  The multi-purpose Sleep/Wake/Off/On button.  Top right corner (portrait mode).

Evernote%20Camera%20Roll%2020130926%2016

• Level 5

There was no sync indicator. Now there is with the most recent update (7.0.1). The problem (lack of sync indicators) has been solved.

Ffft.  7.0 was soooo... yesterday.

• Level 5*

No. I pay to have the service brought to my house. (except I don't, I cut the cable). The content is up to the station, not the cable company, and premium channels like HBO don't have ads during shows, and minimally between shows. They certianly don't throw them at you like EN for IOS does at the top of the app.

So? those ads don't pay for the roads.

These are both subsidized by the ads so the fees aren't as high. I'd suggest paying $45 to $120 per year for an account is the full fee, not something that should be further subsidized by ads. Besides, turning off ads is a feature in Premium/Business accounts. Creating a new section called "announcements" and putting ads in there is shady.

You presumably care about all things EN if you're living in the app.

What in the world would give you this idea? I love Evernote the app. I don't care about t-shirts, post it notes, styluses, etc.

Though I'd add that EN is also uniquely placed to be able to know (as the EN ecosystem grows) what kind of Evernotey things I'm likely to be interested in.

With the OAuth stuff, and developer API keys, they know all of the Evernote related apps we're already using, and thus in Tivo like fashion can deduce what we may be likely to also like.

Also, horror of horrors, we know they have great search indexing on all of our unencrypted Evernote content.

Is there anything to prevent them becoming a Google like company  and datamining the content they store for us (as Google does, Gmail, G+, Google Docs) in order to individually target based on interests.

Just saying...

Their privacy policy.

We do NOT collect information about you to deliver any targeted advertising to you, or track your visits to any third-party websites.

If they changed that, their would be an uprising, and an exodus.

As a Premium User i'm really dissapointed with the new EN App in ios7: I payed to geht rid of Advertisement, an now there Is the Announcement Section that i can't turn off. Even More there is the Market-Section, so half of the List Is now Blocked with Announcements and Stuff to buy. The Main thing, Notes, are now just a small very difficult to handle List.

I dont want Announcements (especially when they are just covered Ads) and i dont want a Market (especially when i can't even buy things in my Country)

Please stay with the Main functions for what EN Is all about: Notes, Notes, and Notes!

I'm really angry, cause when i buy a Premium Account, i dont want to be bothered with Ads and Announcements. At least there has to be an Option to turn it on or off!

And maybe you can add an Option for Filter the List individually. For example, i would like to have the Notebooks on First Position and Not the Last two Notes.

• Level 5

No. I pay to have the service brought to my house. (except I don't, I cut the cable). The content is up to the station, not the cable company, and premium channels like HBO don't have ads during shows, and minimally between shows. They certianly don't throw them at you like EN for IOS does at the top of the app.

I see. And with which dollars then do we presume that the cable provider uses to pay for access to the content which they send down that "service"? Because they have satellite receiving dishes, doesn't mean they're getting it "over the air" for free.

Then there's the paid local advertising often (at least on old school analog cable) on the TV guide page.

And the house ad and promo channels for upcoming shows or up-selling other channels you can subscribe to

So? those ads don't pay for the roads.

Again a little simplistic. Municipalities often put public service announcement signs along their roads. Signs to slow down around construction crews (picturing a construction guy hugging his child), or highlighting seatbelt use, or "advertising/advocating" a particular toll route.

These are both subsidized by the ads so the fees aren't as high. I'd suggest paying $45 to $120 per year for an account is the full fee, not something that should be further subsidized by ads. Besides, turning off ads is a feature in Premium/Business accounts. Creating a new section called "announcements" and putting ads in there is shady.

Is this where I say, back in my day we didn't need ads beyond the regular fare to pay for transit. And the trains ran on time.

Actually, where I am, even ads aren't enough. Plenty of tax dollars go into it as well.

My point is that no one is saying, hey, I paid for this trip with full fare and tax dollars to boot. Why am I being subjected to ads?

What in the world would give you this idea? I love Evernote the app. I don't care about t-shirts, post it notes, styluses, etc.

Withdrawn. I didn't intend to say all. Many. Evernote's call I assume is that it's "enough". Desktop users beget mobile users. Mobile and desktop users beget niche client users. Some percentage (as evidenced by signature) even in this thread move to integrated scanner hardware. There's clearly enough Evernote has said "there's gold in them thar hills"

I'm at least one confirming datapoint.

Their privacy policy.

We do NOT collect information about you to deliver any targeted advertising to you, or track your visits to any third-party websites.

If they changed that there'd be an uprising and an exodus

Good reminder. And did it say at the bottom anything to do with terms subject to change, as is also vogue?

They also changed the Evernote client itself, and don't seem fearful of the uprising and exodus (in progress?) though.

If shareholders aren't happy with the rate of return, not even a complete pivot is out of the realm of possibility.

Re: announcements--we've made adjustments to announcements with 7.0.1 and are looking into making changes for Premium subscribers.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42542-ios-7-verstion-announcements-section/?p=229723

From our IOS7 PM:

As always, thanks for your continued feedback. The 'move to the bottom after opened' option described above is now out in today's release of 7.0.1. This, we believe, helps users who do want to see Evernote information still find it -- but keeps their personal content a priority.

That said, I can confirm that we will be looking at an option for Premium users to remove these sections in a near-term release.

• Level 5*

If shareholders aren't happy with the rate of return, not even a complete pivot is out of the realm of possibility.

Evernote doesn't have shareholders. Evernote has been quite consistent (in my opinion) about its privacy policies, and I do not expect we will see any changes, especially in the direction of data mining.

As for the announcements, they are reconsidering how it will be implemented in the future.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42542-ios-7-verstion-announcements-section/?p=229723

What they will decide, I don't know. In the end, it is their decision. Personally, I would be OK with it moved out of the way, and I expect I will be able to make use of it, so I can live with it.

[EDIT:] Sniped by GB...

• Level 5*

Evernote doesn't have shareholders. Evernote has been quite consistent (in my opinion) about its privacy policies, and I do not expect we will see any changes, especially in the direction of data mining.

Yes they do. All of those rounds of private funding aren't putting debt on the books. That is stock. They will go public or be sold. These investors are doing this for a return.

• Level 5*

Re: announcements--we've made adjustments to announcements with 7.0.1 and are looking into making changes for Premium subscribers.

From our IOS7 PM:

As always, thanks for your continued feedback. The 'move to the bottom after opened' option described above is now out in today's release of 7.0.1. This, we believe, helps users who do want to see Evernote information still find it -- but keeps their personal content a priority.

That said, I can confirm that we will be looking at an option for Premium users to remove these sections in a near-term release.

Where is this setting?

• Level 5

Evernote doesn't have shareholders.
For sure? I didn't say they were public BTW. But you don't get 225 million in funding without giving away part of the company in the form or shares, voting rights, and usually seats on the board of directors.

They have you by the er, short and curlies, and you move when they yank.

• Level 5*

Yes they do. All of those rounds of private funding aren't putting debt on the books. That is stock. They will go public or be sold. These investors are doing this for a return.

Evernote doesn't have stockholders until it goes public. Evernote is a startup that sells shares to investors. There is a big difference, in my opinion. I think the point here is that they have to answer to far fewer people right now and can afford to be more flexible (in some ways) than they will be after their IPO.

"We actually don't want to go public by the end of next year. We'd want to delay that (an IPO) by a few years so that we can extend the period where we're having fun," [Libin] said.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47513981

• Level 5

Please register a vote to keep it as an option. I like it.

I just want the market to be a one liner like announcements, not fold down to permanently show a featured product, ideally with a visual queue to new content.

Ah, not in Evernote.  On your ipad.  The multi-purpose Sleep/Wake/Off/On button.  Top right corner (portrait mode).

LOL...I didn't realize you were talking about a hard button and not a software button.  Definitely not convenient.  I'm going to jump in and side w/the folks pleading for an explicit "soft" sync button that isn't buried in settings.

BTW, has their been a post from an Evernote rep about the rationale for burying the sync button in settings?  I might be able to understand the removal if syncing was more frequent, but as it this, the lack of a soft button to force a sync in aggravating.

• Level 5

And still... Sync works without a control.  If you "need" one.  There are at least two hardware buttons, as mentioned that work on everywhere in EN.  Plus the software one in settings.  A UI control for sync isn't going to be everywhere.

Evernote developer must be one of the most thankless jobs.

"Get rid of the clutter!"  "Give us back the clutter!"

And still... Sync works without a control.  If you "need" one.  There are at least two hardware buttons, as mentioned that work on everywhere in EN.  Plus the software one in settings.  A UI control for sync isn't going to be everywhere.

Evernote developer must be one of the most thankless jobs.

"Get rid of the clutter!"  "Give us back the clutter!"

There's always pull down to refresh.  No clutter there at all.  I'd be more than happy with that compromise.

• Level 5*

Indeed. I am not asking for clutter. It's pretty common on the high quality apps to have control over sync through an icon or the pull down. That's because you might want to sync before opening a note to make sure you have the most recent version, for example. The sync isn''t persistent, and things slip through the cracks. Why take away a tiny sync icon?

I'm not obsessed with getting the ability back or anything, but I'm not convinced that control over syncing = clutter. It certainly isn't if you add it back using lindend's suggestion.

• Level 5*

Evernote doesn't have stockholders until it goes public. Evernote is a startup that sells shares to investors. There is a big difference, in my opinion. I think the point here is that they have to answer to far fewer people right now and can afford to be more flexible (in some ways) than they will be after their IPO.

"We actually don't want to go public by the end of next year. We'd want to delay that (an IPO) by a few years so that we can extend the period where we're having fun," [Libin] said.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47513981

GM, investors are shareholders. They all have stock, it just isn't publicly traded and registered with the SEC under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. They have warrants too, and some are common shareholders, and others preferred. I guarantee you it is a spiderweb of ownership, by shareholders.

• Level 5*

My mistake. I was making a distinction between stockholders and shareholders (cwb used shareholders in his post, and I seem to have forgotten that somewhere). If you say there is no difference, I'll concede the point, as I am relatively ignorant about financial instruments.

My point was that Evernote is not as constrained now as it would be if it had regular stockholders. I suppose it also has a lot less capital as well, so that would be the tradeoff. Please correct me if I am wrong.

In this vein, I'm glad to see Evernote taking bold steps to expand the user base and improve their profitability. I want thgm to stick around. I can live with announcements ad markets. I certainly don't think a sync button would scare users or investors away. Maybe other users are less tolerant of ads and "clutter."

• Level 5

You're in deep water GM, head back for shore.

The assertions are strong with this one...

Having worked in both non-public with Angel Investors, and Governmental VC's and in private companies, I wouldn't suggest anyone go public.  It's a fantastic burden I've not seen a great pay off for.  There are many distractions you don't have when private and non-funded. That said too, I also wouldn't too strongly suggest a company is less flexible when public.  But that has I believe more to do with the regulatory environment than the investors (who can be pretty simplistic though focused in their expectations).  Add a board of directors to major VC backing, and not many feel free and flexible.  You seem to underestimate the power having a 1/4 billion position in a company commands.  In fact, it could be argued that public stock can help counter balance that power, because of the diversity there can tend to be fewer surprises, more managed expectations or at least averaged expectations, and less pointed pressure.  Where-as single entities with large blocks of shares can have some interesting ideas, and force them through.

• Level 5*

You're in deep water GM, head back for shore.

The assertions are strong with this one...

Having worked in both non-public with Angel Investors, and Governmental VC's and in private companies, I wouldn't suggest anyone go public.  It's a fantastic burden I've not seen a great pay off for.  There are many distractions you don't have when private and non-funded. That said too, I also wouldn't too strongly suggest a company is less flexible when public.  But that has I believe more to do with the regulatory environment than the investors (who can be pretty simplistic though focused in their expectations).  Add a board of directors to major VC backing, and not many feel free and flexible.  You seem to underestimate the power having a 1/4 billion position in a company commands.  In fact, it could be argued that public stock can help counter balance that power, because of the diversity there can tend to be fewer surprises, more managed expectations or at least averaged expectations, and less pointed pressure.  Where-as single entities with large blocks of shares can have some interesting ideas, and force them through.

Thanks for the information. According to Libin's quotation, he's having fun, so I don't think I've underestimated their freedom to innovate as they see fit. I also don't get the feeling that investors are pushing them to do this or that, especially in regards to the interface elements. If you have heard anything to the contrary, let me know.

Regarding the iOS 7 Market and Announcements, I think if Evernote does a "pivot," as you suggested, it is probably not going to come in response to investors. I think user voices are going to carry more weight. But, I'm not in the know on this, and I cannot even begin to guess how the developers weigh the costs / benefits of adding / abandoning a feature.

It is, perhaps, a moot point. As users, the best we can do is to make a case for what we think should / shouldn't be in the app. Personally, I figure that if we are going to stick with the announcements and the market, you have about 2/3 of the screen (on the iPad) empty. I'd make better use of that instead of squeezing everything into the tiny "home" screen on the left.

From our IOS7 PM:

Where is this setting?

Sorry Ed, I should clarify the quote. The present "option" is dropping Announcements to the bottom when viewed/cleared out in the app.

• Level 5

I also don't get the feeling that investors are pushing them to do this or that, especially in regards to the interface elements.

No it wouldn't ever be on interface elements per se.  More broad revenue directions.  There are often things you wouldn't do that you know will irritate some for the user base for a little while until they get used to it, or push away others, if you didn't have to monetize the thing, or monetize it to a certain expectation.  But when you have a board member parachuted in from a VC and they're sitting around the table, and he says... "You know, when we were in the [GinormousCompany X] IPO deal, we pulled off this Market Place play that added a 2 X factor to the revenue stream when you factored in the participation fees and markup for the participants products."  "How do you think we could fit that into Evernote?"  

Ultimately it filters down to the dev layer with a chat on some of the directions and priorities for the next quarter, and Joe Sr. UI guy is stuck trying to find a place for this hair ball in his UI.  And make it work well enough to generate kudos and head nods on back up.  Bearing in mind that few of those are likely using the product to see what it does to user experience.  They'll be spending more time looking at Excel or Salesforce for new feature traction, sales conversions, and revenue projections.

Ok, so that's the worst case.  It's variations on a theme.  Other times it's more organic.  There's pressure to produce for your team because of metrics contributing to bonus targets, or fall means you need to bank some memorably sticky achievements in time for your 360 review, or the leadership team needs something impactful to add to the quarterly objectives and cover in the next board meeting.  Yes there's a big nugget of customer focus and nobel goals, but it also gets really complicated.  And the more "other peoples" money is involved rather than just your own profits, the more complicated it gets.

You're only in a position of power to be pure with your product development, when you don't *need* investors.  You're solely driven by your profits.  

Ok, who am I kidding.  The meddlesome customers mess with the purity too.  So I guess you're only there when you're relying on the profits of the last company you sold and you only have yourself as the customer ;-)

So now with 7.01 on the iPhone, Market is 1.5 inches tall. This is completely unacceptable, especially for paid accounts. I've been with Evernote since 2008 and have two premium accounts. We should be up in arms about this.

Clearly, from a users perspective, Evernote should make Announcements and Market optional...at least for premium accounts.

I love Evernote, and hope to continue to do so, but am losing a bit of trust here.

• Level 5*

From our IOS7 PM:

Where is this setting?

Sorry Ed, I should clarify the quote. The present "option" is dropping Announcements to the bottom when viewed/cleared out in the app.

Thanks GB, but it is still at the top for me, so either I am doing something wrong, or it isn't working. I have "read" them all on my phone (none say "New" anymore) but it is still at the top of my EN window.

• Level 5*

My mistake. I was making a distinction between stockholders and shareholders (cwb used shareholders in his post, and I seem to have forgotten that somewhere). If you say there is no difference, I'll concede the point, as I am relatively ignorant about financial instruments.

My point was that Evernote is not as constrained now as it would be if it had regular stockholders. I suppose it also has a lot less capital as well, so that would be the tradeoff. Please correct me if I am wrong.

In this vein, I'm glad to see Evernote taking bold steps to expand the user base and improve their profitability. I want thgm to stick around. I can live with announcements ad markets. I certainly don't think a sync button would scare users or investors away. Maybe other users are less tolerant of ads and "clutter."

Yup. Stockholders and shareholders are the same. "SHare" refers to shares of stock.

I agree, much easier to work with a dozen or so institutional investors and venture capital guys than Wall Street, but still, even Phil has a boss, or bosses, to answer to.

• Level 5*

LOL...I didn't realize you were talking about a hard button and not a software button.  Definitely not convenient.  I'm going to jump in and side w/the folks pleading for an explicit "soft" sync button that isn't buried in settings.

1 second to trigger a resync.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7p1ore1s2rq3fp6/Force_manual_sync_in_Evernote.mov

Thanks for the video. Leaving the app and coming back works. It is true.

Would I ever be willing to leave the app with an unsynced note? No. Do I think it is ideal to have users leave the app to accomplish an action? No. Do I think this saves much time over tapping into the account settings? No. But, I guess that is just me.

• Level 5

Would I ever be willing to leave the app with an unsynced note? No. Do I think it is ideal to have users leave the app to accomplish an action? No. Do I think this saves much time over tapping into the account settings? No. But, I guess that is just me.

End users will be Evernote's downfall...

You're a smart guy Christopher, so let's try not to needlessly muddy things up.

Of course you wouldn't leave the app with an unsaved note.  Why?  Because hitting "SAVE" in a note is one of the things that, you know, SAVES the note.  And shockingly triggers a sync, of said note to the cloud.

But you know what else?  Let's say you don't hit save, but you just leave and come back.  Voila, even your unsaved note gets sync'd to the cloud.  Bringing focus back to Evernote always triggers a sync.

And if you didn't come back, in ios7, background sync would likely still save your unfinished unsaved note.

The point is, if sit back and stop demanding EN adapt to our stuck in time notion of how it's supposed to work, drop our preconceptions, and let how the app is actually working - inform our usage of the app...  We not only then see where there devs were going, but we stop swimming upstream.

10,000' context.

You bought an iphone/ipad

LIVE in that context or move to a device that better fits your limitations.

Apple has designed how their ecosystem is supposed to work.

They nudge developers in that direction.  Not following the stream is either a lot of work reinventing wheels or is painful (because advanced warning comes true, or maybe just the lack of being showcased by Apple).

One of those tennants is, don't put a control in place for something that doesn't need one.

Minimize the UI clutter.

If you can't live in that, you're perhaps better suited to other platforms.

When we watch what MOST users do with Evernote on iOS.

They come into it for short notes, or particular searches.

Coming into the app, in any manner, starts a sync.

No need for a sync button.

When they create a note.  Saving the note triggers a sync

No need for a sync button

When they create a note, and leave EN with unsaved changes before giving it a chance to sync...

Coming back to EN syncs that work.

By default in ios7, background sync is enabled.

Even when you left EN with unsaved changes, vulnerable to being lost if the app is force quit manually, or by the OS due to low memory, or by a power cycle.

Even then chances are your unsaved changes will sync safe and sound due to background sync.

The very nature of the user using the app in the fashion that most average users do, syncs happen in just the manner they need with just the frequency they need, being responsive to what they're doing.

The area I haven't probed is the idle sync frequency if you're just sitting there staring at the note list, waiting for something to sync in.

But lets remember that's not the typical EN ios user.  They're in and out, triggering a sync whenever they come back to look for something.

Checking email, twitter, whatever.  I use use 100+ of the 400+ apps on my phone semi daily.  Most EN users aren't typically going to waiting at a note list for something to sync in.

Presumably timed and background syncs, eventually bring in the bits those sitting there staring are waiting for.

Or you tap a couple times to trigger it.  With the button they gave you in settings.  Or the methods I posted.

Or here's two quicker ones.

Swipe the notification bar down and then back up, or the Control Center up from the bottom and then away.

Those too trigger a sync when focus is returned to EN.

EN for iOS is not a desktop version.  We need to quit pushing for it to be.

That's not to say it can't be your primary EN client.  It is for me.  I use webclipping far more on the desktop(s) than I do the EN client.

But I know it's not the desktop app, and don't expect it to function that way.

Again that's not to say I don't consider my iphone and ipad to be my primary devices, I most often do (with work laptop not having left the desk in 1.5 years).

But still, they get used like mobile devices, and the software is tuned to mobile usage patterns.

And sitting there staring a note list wishing there was a button you could push to hurry along a sync, isn't a typical mobile user use case.

Yet if that describes you, realize you may be firmly in the margins.

• Level 5*

End users will be Evernote's downfall...

You're a smart guy Christopher, so let's try not to needlessly muddy things up.

Of course you wouldn't leave the app with an unsaved note.  Why?  Because hitting "SAVE" in a note is one of the things that, you know, SAVES the note.  And shockingly triggers a sync, of said note to the cloud.

But you know what else?  Let's say you don't hit save, but you just leave and come back.  Voila, even your unsaved note gets sync'd to the cloud.  Bringing focus back to Evenote always triggers a sync.

The point is, if sit back and stop demanding EN adapt to our stuck in time notion of how it's supposed to work, drop our preconceptions, and let how the app is actually working - inform our usage of the app...  We not only then see where there devs were going, but we stop swimming upstream.

10,000' context.

You bought an iphone/ipad

LIVE in that context or move to a device that better fits your limitations.

Apple has designed how their ecosystem is supposed to work.

They nudge developers in that direction.  Not following the stream is either a lot of word reinventing wheels or is painful (because advanced warning comes true, or maybe just the lack of being showcased by Apple).

One of those tennants is, don't put a control in place for something that doesn't need one.

Minimize the UI clutter.

If you can't live in that, you're perhaps better suited to other platforms.

When we watch what MOST users do with Evernote iOS.

They come into it for short notes, or particular searches.

Coming into the app, in any manner, starts a sync.

No need for a sync button.

When they create a note.  Saving the note triggers a sync

No need for a sync button

When they create a note, and leave EN with unsaved changes before giving it a chance to sync...

Coming back to EN syncs that work.

By default in ios7, background sync is enabled.

Even when you left EN with unsaved changes, vulnerable to being lossed if the app is force quit manually, or by the OS due to low memory, or by a power cycle.

Even then chances are you unsaved changes will sync safe and sound due to background sync.

The very nature of the user using the app in the fashion that most average users do, syncs happen in just the manner they need with just the frequency they need, being responsive to what they're doing.

The area I haven't probed is the idle sync frequency if you're just sitting there staring at the note list, waiting for something to sync in.

But lets remember that's not the typical EN ios user.  They're in and out, triggering a sync whenever they come back to look for something.

Checking email, twitter, whatever.  I use use 100+ of the 400+ apps on my phone semi daily.  Most EN users aren't typically going to waiting at a note list for something to sync in.

Presumably timed and background syncs, eventually bring in the bits those sitting there staring are waiting for.

Or you tap a couple times to trigger it.  With the button they gave you in settings.  Or the methods I posted.

Or here's two quicker ones.

Swipe the notification bar down and then back up, or the Control Center up from the bottom and then away.

Those too trigger a sync when focus is returned to EN.

EN for iOS is not a desktop version.  We need to quit pushing for it to be.

That's not to say it can't be your primary EN client.  It is for me.  I use webclipping far more on the desktop(s) than I do the EN client.

But I know it's not the desktop app, and don't expect it to function that way.

I am not muddying things up here. I am asking for something quite simple and straightforward: I want a more convenient way to force a sync. It is already in the Evernote app. Why not enable us to pull down and trigger a sync? No clutter. No fuss. And, it is about as Apple-y as you can get. Even Apple's own Mail app has it.

• Level 5

Yeah you are.

What point is there to saying, I'm not going to leave the app with an unsaved note?

A.  You don't care about syncs if you're working in the note.  FINISH the note.  It's modal.  You can't do anything with anything that may or may not sync into the note list in the background until you finish the note anyway.

B. If you're worried about losing the work, SAVE the note.  That triggers a Sync.  The world (post 7.0 mind you) is wonderful and harmonious.

C. You're chasing invisible boogey men to worry about risks to the note if you briefly leave EN.  You're bright enough to be aware that the state is frozen safe and sound, and the ms you come back, your work is automatically saved even before you start back in on it again.  And of the 4 sync trigger methods I offered, NONE of them actually have you leave Evernote.  None of them switch to another app.

(I'll also add that it's complete folly to plow so much content into a single note that you're worried about the lost time if it wasn't to get saved.  In my company you get metaphorically beaten with the idiot stick if you come and complain about an hours lost work in a Word document because you didn't progressively save through that hour.  Only then will I let them know the backup client saves even their open in progress documents every 15 minutes.)

It doesn't further the discussion because its specious.

There's no motivation to do the thing you're saying you wouldn't do.

So there's no point talking about it, and it has nothing to do with any of my points.

Worse, even if one DOES that thing.  Evernote still saves you, so it's illogical fear.

And NONE of this rabbit hole has anything to do with typical EN user experience (though I get it's a bee in the bonnet of half a dozen in this thread, but lets divide that by 9 million plus users, carry the 1, and... well look at that.  Looks like exactly zero % of diverting effort from the devs is due on the issue).

I'm simply showing you work-arounds, near zero effort mind you.  4 ways you don't even have to leave the page you're displaying in EN, to trigger a sync.  The index finger flexes a mere 30 degrees...

Until some day in the future, perhaps, actual sigificant user experience data shows that perhaps they need a manual sync gesture in the UI.

But I'll say that UI control was a crutch that likely is no longer needed.

EN on the desktop is a different beast.  It sits there running long periods, perhaps on a secondary monitor when you're using other apps, and short of a Galaxy S4 like camera watching where you're looking, I don't know how you solve "when" to sync other than timed (or some future IMAP IDLE like "push" feature).

But in the mobile single tasking world it's not hard to respond to user actions and know when to sync.

I think it's doing a pretty darn fine job.

• Level 5*

Yeah you are.

What point is there to saying, I'm not going to leave the app with an unsaved note?

A.  You don't care about syncs if you're working in the note.  Finish the NOTE.  It's modal.  You can't do anything with anything that may or may not sync into the note list in the background until you finish the note anyway.

B. If you're worried about losing the work, SAVE the note.  That triggers a Sync.  The world (post 7.0 mind you) is wonderful and harmonious.

C. You're chasing invisible boogey men to worry about risks to the note if you briefly leave EN.  You're bright enough to be aware that the state is frozen safe and sound, and the ms you come back, your work is automatically saved even before you start back in on it again.  And of the 4 sync trigger methods I offered, NONE of them actually have you leave Evernote.  None of them switch to another app.

It doesn't further the discussion because its specious.

There's no motivation to do the thing you're saying you wouldn't do.

So there's no point talking about it, and it has nothing to do with any of my points.

Worse, even if one DOES that thing.  Evernote still saves you, so it's illogical fear.

And NONE of this rabbit hole has anything to do with typical EN user experience (though I get it's a bee in the bonnet of half a dozen in this thread, but lets divide that by 9 million plus users, carry the 1, and... well look at that.  Looks like exactly zero % of diverting effort from the devs is due on the issue).

I'm simply showing you work-arounds, near zero effort mind you.  4 ways you don't even have to leave the page you're displaying in EN, to trigger a sync.  The index finger flexes a mere 30%...

Until some day in the future, perhaps, actual sigificant user experience data shows that perhaps they need a manual sync gesture in the UI.

But I'll say that UI control was a crutch that likely is no longer needed.

EN on the desktop is a different beast.  It sits there running long periods, perhaps on a secondary monitor when you're using other apps, and short of a Galaxy S4 like camera watching where you're looking, I don't know how you solve "when" to sync other than timed (or some future IMAP IDLE like "push" feature).

But on the mobile single tasking world it's not hard to respond to user actions and know when to sync.

I think it's doing a pretty darn fine job.

If it were safe and sound I wouldn't be losing data. For actual user data, please see my earlier posts. The best way I know of protecting myself against note conflicts and lost data is to take control of the sync. I've learned this through bitter experience. If swiping down to sync is so onerous and unnecessary in iOS 7, I wonder why Apple has it in their Mail app. The feature adds no more clutter to the UI. In fact, it would even remove it, because you wouldn't need the button in the settings. You can avoid swiping down if the feature bothers you. I think we will have to agree to disagree here. Thanks for talking this through with me.

Archived