(Archived) Evernote for Mac 5.3.0

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

Hey everyone,

Huge day in the tech world and we're only adding to it. Evernote for Mac 5.3 brings a TON of new stuff:

New Premium Feature: Presentation Mode

- Present your notes in a beautifully laid out, full-screen view with one click
- Dual screen support: Present on one screen while taking notes on the other
- Display images, documents and attachments in the presentation
- Use the laser pointer feature to help everyone follow along

Improved Premium Feature: Related Notes
- See up to five Related Notes at the bottom of the Note Editor

New Evernote Business Feature
- Easily convert personal notebooks into Business notebooks

Other enhancements
- Redesigned search highlighting
- Evernote Food notes are now editable
- Right-click on a note to convert it to a PDF

Let us know what you think!

50 replies to this idea

Umm, after the update to 5.3, (on Mac Mountain Lion), why doesn't Paste have a shortcut key anymore?

I run a stock version of Evernote - no shortcut key customization at all.

I've tried setting the Preferences->Shortcuts for Paste, but it appears that this only allows setting paste to new note.

So I can paste unformatted (Shift command V) or to the new note, but there is no formatted paste.

I doubt anyone will continue to use a "notes" tool that you need to use the mouse/trackpad to paste formatted. Suggest you get this straightened out.

• Level 5

The slow UI is reproducible.

The search highlighting focuses on the first term so you know which occurrence of a string you're focused on. ie when you "find next" you will want to know that your selection has advanced.

It is a huge improvement. Is there a reason why the highlighting for the first word in a search string of several words is a different color (orange)?

With a search string of several words EN behaves a little strangely, I've just noticed.

It finds each example of each word in the string, rather than confining itself to finding single examples of the whole string. This behavior is not so useful, one would suggest.

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I can't actually install the new 5.3.0 release.  I've rebooted my MBP to see if that helped, but still getting an error "Evernote failed to download.  Use the Purchases page to try again" from the Mac App Store.  I've also tried the Purchases page and also from the search page -- still the same "An error has occurred".

MBP running 10.8.5.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

D.

• Level 5*

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I can't actually install the new 5.3.0 release.  I've rebooted my MBP to see if that helped, but still getting an error "Evernote failed to download.  Use the Purchases page to try again" from the Mac App Store.  I've also tried the Purchases page and also from the search page -- still the same "An error has occurred".

MBP running 10.8.5.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

D.

Hi. Welcome to the forums. I have no idea, but I always advise people not to use the appstore version.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

Evernote never fails to disappoint. Another release, more bloat added. And basic requests like the ability to hide icons related to bloat is still ignored. Also, still no way of hiding tags from joined notebooks even though this is a major dealbreaker for using joined notebooks. This is getting really frustrating.

Jack,

Link to local file is when I select a text in a note and I add a link (cmd-K) to a file on my hard drive, for example, file:///Users/raulb/Downloads/542.pdf

This works when I am not in presentation mode...

I know that when the PDF is in the note I can present it, but I do not want to store big PDF files in Evernote.

• Level 5*

GM, we're working on that issue. Don't expect an immediate fix but our hypothesis is that it's related to the fact that you have very long text notes.

Glad to hear you are working on it!

Maybe it is the note length... But, at the moment I mainly have (relatively) short notes (my largest note with text is a web clipping of 1.5 MB and my largest note is only 4.3 MB with a couple photos in it). I stripped out most of my notes and saved them on my disk outside of Evernote. They were just causing way too many problems, and it wasn't worth it to have them in the account. I have split the remaining notes in my account (about 8,000) into two notebooks -- an "online" one with critical notes for syncing and a "local" one with other notes. I am trying to keep iOS from crashing by limiting what I have on the servers. This also vastly improves the Mac app performance. So far, it is working. Over time, I'll move things over from "local" to "online." Eventually (maybe months away at this rate), I'll track down the culprits that are causing the iOS problem. As for Mac, this UI thing is a regular occurrence for me. Are you unable to reproduce it on your end?

I found a solution on: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/87254/unusual-shortcut-menu-override-in-evernote

Apparently, somehow, after the 5.3 upgrade, I had command V bound to Paste without Formatting. Strange thing is, I haven't changed any shortcut key binding in months, and cut/paste was working just fine.

Evernote devs: the 5.3 upgrade definitely changed (or possibly resurrected an old setting) command V from normal Paste to Paste with Formatting. Sorry for the snarky comment, just was frustrated because cut/paste should always work; still, it should not need debugging after an upgrade. Thanks for the great product.

All:

For what it's worth -

Using MBP mid 2010 with OS X (10.8.5)

tried upgrading to Evernote 5.3 through the upgrade menu item in Evernote 5.2.1 a few hours ago.

The app hung on installation - I left it for half an hour. Finally, I force quit the installation because it was not getting anywhere.

Then Safari 6.05  and the finder both hung. I had to restart both. then rebooted ....

I uninstalled the web clipper from Safari ......... same issues

After poking around for a few hours, I rescued the old Evernote 5.2.1 from the recycle bin. Everything is working fine now as it was before the attempted upgrade.

I'll definitely wait for 5.3.1 before trying to upgrade again!

I'm confused.

How could I be using 5.3.0 Beta 3 and not have these features?

I know it was mentioned that these changes aren't in the beta stream, but that doesn't make any sense.

Wouldn't these features go through beta, get tested, and then released?

Also, I'm being prompted to upgrade to 5.4.1 and it doesn't mention those features:

Software%20Update%20and%20Evernote.png

Not sure what's going on.

Ok that makes sense.  Thanks Jack!

I guess there are some features you don't want leaking until they're official.

I upgraded to 5.4.0 Beta 1, and I'm seeing Presentation Mode now along with the nifty highlighting (thank you...thank you...thank you).

It was so jarring to have notes shift from white to dark grey every time I searched for a key word.

Private beta.  Hmm...I'll consider that.

All:

For what it's worth -

Using MBP mid 2010 with OS X (10.8.5)

tried upgrading to Evernote 5.3 through the upgrade menu item in Evernote 5.2.1 a few hours ago.

The app hung on installation - I left it for half an hour. Finally, I force quit the installation because it was not getting anywhere.

Then Safari 6.05  and the finder both hung. I had to restart both. then rebooted ....

I uninstalled the web clipper from Safari ......... same issues

After poking around for a few hours, I rescued the old Evernote 5.2.1 from the recycle bin. Everything is working fine now as it was before the attempted upgrade.

I'll definitely wait for 5.3.1 before trying to upgrade again!

I'm experiencing exactly the same issues as this. I'm unable to delete the app as it causes Finder to hang when I try to empty my Trash. I've reverted to 5.2.1 and will definitely be waiting for a while to update again.

• Level 5*

Has EN Mac 5.4.0 been released yet????

If not, when?

I think we are still in beta. There was no official beta thread for this, though it is public.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42535-evernote-for-mac-530/?p=228894

It sounds like your updates are not working as they should, because you should have been told. I'd try checking and unchecking the update selection box for betas in your preferences. If that fails, and you are not on the appstore version, then it sounds like a bug.

In 5.3 on Mac, is there a way to delete notebooks? I can't seem to figure it out no matter what I do. I go into notebook view, highlight the notebook, and hit delete... nothing happens. Highlight the notebook and go to the edit menu, but "Delete" is grayed out. Try to drag the notebook to the Evernote "trash" notebook, but no luck. And it is not my default notebook. I feel like i must be missing something very obvious here...

• Level 5*

Hey everyone,

Huge day in the tech world and we're only adding to it. Evernote for Mac 5.3 brings a TON of new stuff:

New Premium Feature: Presentation Mode

- Present your notes in a beautifully laid out, full-screen view with one click
- Dual screen support: Present on one screen while taking notes on the other
- Display images, documents and attachments in the presentation
- Use the laser pointer feature to help everyone follow along

Improved Premium Feature: Related Notes
- See up to five Related Notes at the bottom of the Note Editor

New Evernote Business Feature
- Easily convert personal notebooks into Business notebooks

Other enhancements
- Redesigned search highlighting
- Evernote Food notes are now editable
- Right-click on a note to convert it to a PDF

Let us know what you think!

Jack!  All I can say is WOW!!! :D   Very Cool!

This is a great list of new features.  I can't wait to check them out on my TEST Mac.

I just hope you guys did a great job of fixing existing bugs, and NOT introducing new bugs.  ;)

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and actually download the new ver without first waiting for feedback from other users.

Please don't disappoint me.  It will be a couple of hours before I have a chance to download.  If there is anything I should be aware of, please let me know (you can PM me if you'd prefer).

I'm hoping for the best! 

Me too: I'm "stuck" on the 5.3.0 beta version, which is showing no updates.  

I know I've seen this problem here in the forums before, but I'm not searching on whatever the right terms are to find the answer.  I did go un-click the beta box in prefs, quit, come back, try updating again, and that didn't shake it loose.  

Can somebody repost the magic process to get us to update?  

Thanks!

Seems like the announcement jumped the gun, I just was able to get it a few minutes ago.  However, in presentation mode I get a small (not full-screen) window that's blank, and while I can right click and get a "reload" option it fails to load any information, in a new or an existing note.

(I have 3 monitors, I will test again with them disconnected.)

Seems like the announcement jumped the gun, I just was able to get it a few minutes ago.  However, in presentation mode I get a small (not full-screen) window that's blank, and while I can right click and get a "reload" option it fails to load any information, in a new or an existing note.

(I have 3 monitors, I will test again with them disconnected.)

Same here, I got the auto update and updated, and presentation mode just displays  a blank window.  (Didn't try it with an additional monitor- but if it needs a second monitor it shouldn't be opening a blank window should it?)

This is really unprofessional.  I doubt there's anything esoteric about my system (Mountain Lion, 2012 Macbook Air) and it seems Evernote didn't beta test this feature at all, did they?  I guess there could be a software conflict with something on my system but I guess all of Evernote's users are now beta testers.

• Level 5*

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and actually download the new ver without first waiting for feedback from other users.

Please don't disappoint me.  It will be a couple of hours before I have a chance to download.  If there is anything I should be aware of, please let me know (you can PM me if you'd prefer).

I'm hoping for the best! 

Oh well.  I guess I'll have to revert to my standard update policy:  "Wait at least 2 weeks after any/all updates to determine if users are reporting significant issues before even downloading the update even for testing purposes."

• Level 5*

I'm hoping for the best!

Oh well.  I guess I'll have to revert to my standard update policy:  "Wait at least 2 weeks after any/all updates to determine if users are reporting significant issues before even downloading the update even for testing purposes."

It's a new feature. You won't miss it, because it wasn't there for you! I wouldn't worry too much. Everything else seems to be running fine.

I'm hoping for the best!

It's a new feature. You won't miss it, because it wasn't there for you! I wouldn't worry too much. Everything else seems to be running fine.

True but this does make me a little paranoid about what bugs could slip in between versions... I think I'll start doing time machine backups before upgrading to a new version.

• Level 5*

I'm hoping for the best!

True but this does make me a little paranoid about what bugs could slip in between versions... I think I'll start doing time machine backups before upgrading to a new version.

Always, always, always do time machine. Always :)

It's not about the software, though that might be an issue at some point. It's basic digital hygiene.

Archived