tpcon

chrome Chrome: Is there any way to restart clipper after crash?

I think the [new] clipper [in Chrome] has crashed.  The symptom is that, the pane did appear after clicking on the icon, butit appeared to stop working, did not respond to any click, for instance clicking on "Save" did nothing; never was able to capture anything.  So, i refreshed the page, and the pane for the web clipper went away.  But, the icon for the web clipper is gone, too.  It is gone on that tab, and on all tabs.  And, i opened a new window, and it does not appear there, either.

How do i bring it back?  Do i have to completely close every Chrome window?

Thanks!  Tom

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

Web Clipper has most likely been disabled for some reason. Try going to Window > Extensions and find the Web Clipper in the list and make sure the checkbox is enabled. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I went to Settings...Extensions in Chrome.  While other extensions indicated "enabled", Web Clipper had a link to "reload", so i clicked on it.  (I assume that is confirmation of my initial guess that it had crashed).  Now, the icon is back on the toolbar.  It gives mouse feedback when i click it.  But, nothing else.  It does nothing.  I re-checked "Settings" and it still indicated enabled.  But, it appears to me to be completely dead.  Nothing is captured.

Can anything be done?  Basically it appears that the functionality is completely dead.

Thanks again!  Tom

As a Firefox user, I wanted to migrate and check the new clipper's functionality in chrome, but with recent feedback , I will wait. For the moment, the old clipper and clearly are working fine in Firefox, never mind the new functionalities.

Hi again Tom,

I'd recommend uninstalling and then reinstalling from www.evernote.com/webclipper. We cannot reproduce exactly what you described at this point. 

I agree with andygeekboy.

Every time I try to clip a website, the sidebar opens, I can fill in the notebook and tags, but it does not save. Then it crashes, the icon disappears from the menu bar.

I have pretty much given up on doing some set of things to try to get the new clipper to work.

I reverted to the old version, and its working fine.  So, to others, i offer the advice to revert to the previous version of the clipper. It may work for you too as the easiest solution to this issue.

To Evernote folks, I can only voice disappointment in your lack of testing this before releasing it.  Generally i have found the quality of this product to be good, so this is a setback in terms of my opinion about the ability of this team to release reliable software.  Come on, couldn't you get it to even "somewhat work"? This is not just an odd problem on a few scattered PCs; it is obvious that a large number of people are experiencing it.

Here are instructions on how to revert to the previous version.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/e96b9e4c-839c-4e42-bee3-d33a1d925ac1/30b5590cc42a0cc1a86e0f530a2b5dda

For me, i assume it will be years before i'd try to upgrade the clipper.  I'll stick with the above one since it actually works, and i don't have time to hassle and be a tester for software teams.  Hire your own testers!

Tom

I just had the same thing happen to me.  Web Clipper crashed, I re-enabled it in extensions but no matter what I did, web-clipper would not do anything when I clicked on the icon.  I tried uninstalling and re-installing to no avail.  After spending about 2 hours messing around with it, I used the link above to download an older version and that is working fine for me.  I guess older is better with some things in life!!  LOL

I am also having this exact same issue. Clipper crashed, then the elephant icon disappeared from the top right panel. I went to Chrome -> extensions and enabled Web Clipper again. This brought the elephant icon back to my top right panel. However, now the icon is "dead"--when I click it, the clipper never appears--in fact, nothing happens at all! I have two Evernote accounts and regularly switch between them while logged into the same Chrome account. Could this be causing some of the trouble?

Having this exact same problem on my Macbook when using Chrome. I can again do the uninstall re-install but what a pain. @jbignert or some other Evernote employee, at least 9 people on this thread alone have duplicated the exact problem tpcon had in the original post 4 months ago. Are there any plans to address these problems or should we all just revert to the older version?

We have a new release coming in 2-3 days that will address the crash causes we've found. Some causes for crashes are Chrome related and most often caused or triggered when clipping very large and resource heavy pages, those are harder to locate and some of them we cannot affect.

The new beta version is posted here http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/51985-chrome-clipper-609-beta/ feel free to give it a try.