There is a known issue that is preventing users from logging into the discussion forums. We're in the process of fixing this issue as quickly as possible, and will notify you once the issue has been resolved. Thank you for your patience! Read more... ×

More notes added, Linux version is needed more. Nearly 4K notes in EN, what a terrible matter to use the web version!

When you use EN 5 yr+, the number of notes is too big to use web version.

I've been using NixNote2 the last couple of weeks and thought I would share my experience. The release I've been testing is 2.0 Beta 8. It's available in .deb, .rpm and source code.

It's a good client, all the basics are there and working. I have never had any crashes or sync problems with it. One nice feature it has over Evernote is that you can view and edit the Note source directly in the client.

There are some drawbacks though.

• In Beta 8 the picture thumbnails aren't working, but according to the author that should be fixed in Beta 9.
    • Side note, it seems then like the thumbnails are not stored on the server, since NixNote generates those, I'm guessing then that Evernote client does the same. So I guess there is a chance of getting different thumbnails in the two clients.
  • The UI isn't as polished, although that isn't a huge deal for me.
  • Web clippings: this is the biggest issue I have. Viewing and editing notes I've created my self in either NixNote or Evernote is not a problem and works perfectly. But NixNote have issues with some web clippings, especially from webpages that are complex. I have a bunch of notes that are completely unreadable in NixNote, but works fine in Evernote. NixNote wont destroy anything, so I'm not worried about it. But this right now is probably the biggest issue for me, since I have about 1000 web clippings in Evernote.

It is possible to clean up the html in webclippings to get them working in NixNote, I did that as a test for a couple notes, but I have way too many to make that a real option for me.

So for me, I can't completely switch over to NixNote because of that last issue. But for people without a huge amount of web clippings, or perhaps just simple once, I can definitely recommend NixNote.

• Like 3

The "fanboyism" is strong with these ones...

Just two cents more from my pocket to say that I'll be finally canceling my Evernote plus account due the lack of a native Linux client and the pitiful usability of the web client.

I got along well with Evernote while I was using OSX most of the time, but since I moved to Linux it's been a pain in the arse.

If someone is interested, I'll be using "remember the milk" for my GTD things instead. Yet they haven't a native Linux client neither, only provide a packed version of their website, but its web interface is way better than Evernote's one.

And I know they don't have the same features, but they have what I need even in the free version.

Farewell!

• Like 1

Something Evernote may wish to look at is the poll on opensource.com that has Evernote with the largest percentage of votes (37%).  This Linux and Open Source orientated site should give a fair snapshot and you can see the results of the poll in What's your go-to note-taking app?

Now for those using Linux that are ready to bail, you may want to look at the opensource.com article 4 desktop note-taking applications for getting stuff done and 4 open source alternatives to Evernote and see if any of these will better suit you.

• Like 2

Too late lad. I've already cut'n'run. Evernote may yet have to learn its a jolly lot easier to lose customers than win them back.

If they haven't taken note of the previous 17 pages I don't see a late change of heart. Their business plan is clear. Your choice if you want to be part of it and how much you commit so you will always will have a choice.

Best Wishes and thanks for the fish.

Just got a message about billing problems.

Fixed. Bye Evernote Im moving out. Haha, they even reduced the amount of devices that can access evernote to two in basic! This so sad to see.

adasdwadwadwadwadwa.png

• Like 1

As a premium user for some years, I am very disappointed with this decision of not having a Evernote client for Linux. With the arrival of alternatives like tagspaces or paperworks, I am seriously consider in making the transition to a new solution. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2013 at 9:08 PM, BurgersNFries said:

Evernote certainly does respect their users. Just because they don't do something you want them to do doesn't mean they are disrespecting you. A company is not a democracy. Those in charge have to make choices & they have chosen to not make a Linux client. And lastly, they are not dictating (or even trying to dictate) what OS you use.

I I don't think it's entirely that simple. The open source community is just that - a community. EverNote undoubtedly uses various open source technologies, frameworks, tools, scripts and other resources. The way this all works is that everyone may use these tools freely, but it comes with an implicit responsibility to contribute back to the community in any way you can.  When people feel that this gentlemen's understanding is being violated, we must self police as a community - politely but firmly. The people who use Linux are a massive majority of the people who have contributed millions of man hours of work to the community, we feel that Evernote should act by way of a self imposed mandate to support the community that is the very foundation on which their software is built and the systems they use operate. It does make one feel a bit slighted...

11 hours ago, MJHd said:

The people who use Linux are a massive majority of the people who have contributed millions of man hours of work to the community, we feel that Evernote should act by way of a self imposed mandate to support the community that is the very foundation on which their software is built and the systems they use operate.

What a load of BS
Disregarding the "Linux are a massive majority of the people who have contributed millions of man hours of work to the community"
Evernote is a business paying a staff for services.
Try presenting a business case for Evernote to commit money/resources to a Linux project

• Like 1

The business case for Evernote adding Linux support is fairly straightforward.  There are many millions of Linux users out there, including those of us who pay Evernote's new higher prices for the premium offering.  But we're not going to wait forever, and I suspect that many of us will jump ship as soon as we find a solid competitor offering Linux support.  And by that point, it may be too late for Evernote to stem the tide.  One of Evernote's key features is multi-platform portability between desktop and mobile operating sytstems, so this is a glaring omission and I hope they fix it.  Maybe if the web UI was better, it wouldn't be such a huge issue.  But that has been stagnant too.  They were promising a brand new web UI years ago when I joined, and it is still missing so many basic features that I still have to use the classic one.  It's sad to see Evernote squandering their early lead in a business niche that they played such a large role in defining!

27 minutes ago, Flash G said:

The business case for Evernote adding Linux support is fairly straightforward.  There are many millions of Linux users out there, including those of us who pay Evernote's new higher prices for the premium offering. 

Would you have an estimate of the number of Linux users willing to pay for Evernote? It's ok to include existing users

I am an Evernote Pro user since early days of Evernote. I am using both Mac OS and Linux and it's a shame that Evernote is not providing a client for LINUX. I am sure there is a business case.

I'll migrate to 100% LINUX next year and that will be the moment in time, when I'll have to say goodbye to Evernote if nothing happens. A pity, the company's management seems to try to learn it the hard way, how to loose loyal and paying customers and loosing them for good.

21 minutes ago, PeetsB said:

I am an Evernote Pro user since early days of Evernote. I am using both Mac OS and Linux and it's a shame that Evernote is not providing a client for LINUX. I am sure there is a business case.

I'll migrate to 100% LINUX next year and that will be the moment in time, when I'll have to say goodbye to Evernote if nothing happens. A pity, the company's management seems to try to learn it the hard way, how to loose loyal and paying customers and loosing them for good.

What will you use as alternative on LINUX next year?

I have just managed to upgrade my installation of Evernote in Fedora. What I can get working, without any bugs (that I have found so far) is Evernote 6.4.2.3773 in Fedora 24 with KDE. I tried the latest version, and while it works, that has the unsorted Notebook problem.

Just install Wine as 32 bit, then install Evernote 6.4.2.3773, then run winetricks and install IE8 (not the updated version, just IE8). That combination works for me and it even solved the unsorted Notebook problem for me.

• Like 1

Open Letter to Evernote, sent to the Partnership/Alliances email account (there not being any evident support/feedback account):

I am a paid up Pro user and so am in a partnership with yourselves - I'm having to use this contact address as you don't seem to have any other contact form that doesn't send you down some automated response path.

That in itself is worrying enough, what brings me here is the lack of a Linux client - but before you ditch this email as not your issue please, take 10 more seconds to finish the mail, I promise to keep it brief...

You are an employee of Evernote, you are paid by customer subscriptions. I have fully read the only 'support' info on this issue (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42393-evernote-for-linux) and the result, as with 'Feedback EMail Address' is that there isn't one.

One of the recurring themes there is the lack of a business case for a Linux client. I am now fully Linux and as such, on conclusion of current billing period, will have no choice but to cancel my subscription (I am not always connected to the net so Web is not, and never will be, a solution). Existing customers leaving has to be the best (anti-)Business Case there is.

I would be extremely grateful if you could forward this to whichever internal Business Development email acct would be appropriate.

Regards, Steve Gillam.

14 hours ago, Steve Gillam said:

Existing customers leaving has to be the best (anti-)Business Case there is.

I don't see this as being a business case for Evernote to spend the $ to implement and support a Linux client.

I think a proper argument would include Numbers.
How many customers are being lost?
How many new customers will this platform bring in.

I'm sure Evernote has considered these numbers in their decision

Numbers? You want numbers? You can't handle numbers.  Oh sorry, I was getting a little carried away.

I really want a linux client too. I don't know how many times I've been on linux and trying to use the web client only to give up, remembering the feature I want is only available on Windows client. The web client could work but it would need many features added.

TIA. 

16 minutes ago, jgiordano said:

Looks like evernote's trying to do whatever it can to put itself out of business. 

Could you provide more details - from what I can see Evernote was never in the "Linux Business" or is this a different topic than "Evernote for Linux"

10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Could you provide more details - from what I can see Evernote was never in the "Linux Business"

More of a general statement, but the new EULA allowing employees to read your notes. As far as your "linux Business" statement, Evernote was a tech company that tried to sell schoolbags, was it in the "school bag business"? I would think a linux client is more closely aligned with their "Core" business than school bags and desk grabage...

It was in the PC business when PC was synonymous with Windows. It no longer is. Many businesses now wish to have a choice of what OS they wish to choose. Many software suppliers make hardware independence a core part of their offering. That's the way the market is moving.

Good software design these days should be layered so implementing on a particular environment should be straightforward if required.

Those of us who have had a good look at the EV code begin to understand why a Linux client isn't an easy spin off. Fair enough, many suppliers have inherited legacy code that restricts its use. The issue with EV is not that they can offer a Linux client today but their lack of commitment to ever do a hardware/software independent client. Instead they claim  an improved web client will cover the holes.

Not if some if you usage has to contingent no net connect instances.

14 minutes ago, jgiordano said:

More of a general statement, but the new EULA allowing employees to read your notes.

Got it, I wasn't aware there's a new EULA, but there's plenty of FUD being posted.  

This relates to the discussion here

1 minute ago, Brainsys said:

It was in the PC business when PC was synonymous with Windows. It no longer is. Many businesses now wish to have a choice of what OS they wish to choose. Many software suppliers make hardware independence a core part of their offering. That's the way the market is moving.

Good software design these days should be layered so implementing on a particular environment should be straightforward if required.

Those of us who have had a good look at the EV code begin to understand why a Linux client isn't an easy spin off. Fair enough, many suppliers have inherited legacy code that restricts its use. The issue with EV is not that they can offer a Linux client today but their lack of commitment to ever do a hardware/software independent client. Instead they claim  an improved web client will cover the holes.

Not if some if you usage has to contingent no net connect instances.

Successful businesses evolve, Microsoft is a huge Linux contributor now, they have sql server for linux. They are a successful business. Dropbox has clients for Windows, Mac and linux, they continue to grow. Evernote from a valuation perspective is a shadow of what it was at its height. Their web client has always been sub-par to the point of unusable. 

I  updated EULA is the nail in the coffin IMO. 

All business models evolve and I have used EN for a long time.  I think EN is seeing its final days of being my shining star.  In our house we have 5 different computers located in multiple rooms.  At one time they were all MS boxes but now only one remains on MS.  The remaining one is MS only because I must use proprietary software for my business.  I'll be retiring in a couple years and that box will switch to Linux.

Why do I think the business model of EN is looking at future issues that are getting closer by the day.  Well there is Google and the fact that more and more people are working with cloud computing.  Also now that MS is putting their toe in nix commands, how long will it be until MS and Nix play well together.  MS sees a lot of people leaving and they don't like it.  So all the potential Nix customers that EN alienated for all the years will not be customers during the changing environment.  People are creatures of habit and the forgotten Nix people will be accustomed to another habit and it won't be EN.

I believe that as computing evolves, as computing becomes more and more a needed form to live in the world, in the legal environment it will be viewed as a utility.  Now when something becomes a utility, those companies that have written an EULA that is so one sided that both parties are not equal will be viewed as onerous by the courts.  Time will tell but I've read a lot of contracts in my life and so many have holes so big a 747 could fly through them.  Today courts do not take a kind view of one sided contracts and I think in the future software companies will have to re-write their EULA that provides a more equitable arrangement to both parties.

So that is my two cents and from looking at the long history on this forum, you are looking at years of unsatisfied people.  MY wonderment is -- why did you have such a stiff neck about the matter?

2 hours ago, urdrwho5@gmail.com said:

So that is my two cents and from looking at the long history on this forum, you are looking at years of unsatisfied people.  MY wonderment is -- why did you have such a stiff neck about the matter?

My guess is

• There are not a large number of potential users, especially compared to other platforms
  • Of this number, there's an even smaller number of users willing to pay

Funny thing is that this round-and-round is also self-perpetuating.

Evernote does not see enough people using Linux being interested
in using Evernote, let alone pay for their product so they don't want
to spend the resources to develop for that platform.

/\
||
\/

Linux users doesn't see Evernote being friendly to their platform and
so the vast majority will simply stay away and find other solutions (life's
too short) and who is going to pay for something that doesn't work on
their systems?

We can argue back-and-forth until our faces are blue.  Linux isn't going to kill Evernote, and Evernote isn't going to kill Linux.  What is more indicative is how they manage "other platforms" reflects how they will handle changes in the overall environment.  Are they a leader or a follower?

Dell has taken a gamble of sorts on Linux on the desktop and it seems to be doing pretty well for them. While Microsoft Windows isn't going to go away anytime soon, it is loosing marketshare and the rising starts are Linux based (Android, ChromeOS, Ubuntu Linux).

Is the way Evernote is handling supporting Linux, a growing platform in a declining market, proactive or are they reactive and waiting until the wheel's already turned?

1 hour ago, piotroxp said:

I believe we are all missing a tad here, which is the below:

And you're expecting exactly what from the Evernote Twitter feed?

I've successfully installed evernote 5.8 and skitch 2.3.2 on my Arch Linux .
The run pretty well, but the only problem that i consider is i can't directly annotate any image from my note with skitch. i have to drag it from my notes to skitch. any advice how to make skitch automatically work by click annotate image from notes?

How funny it is  to see 40% off of Premium for me, EVERNOTE!

Where's my Linux client? I'd happily pay even 100% if you just made a ***** native linux client, bros

7 minutes ago, piotroxp said:

Where's my Linux client?

Start here: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/

7 minutes ago, piotroxp said:

I'd happily pay even 100% if you just made a ***** native linux client, bros

Gee, $70 is going to go a long way towards funding development staff to build your Linux client, bro.

3 hours ago, jefito said:

Start here: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/

Gee, $70 is going to go a long way towards funding development staff to build your Linux client, bro.

Yes, too bad there's no way to accrue payments from multiple customers and add it to whatever capitalization is required for funding development. Oh well, there's only $70 in the dev budget for this. Not enough. Right, bro?

You're assuming there's a budget?  Evernote pretty much ruled out supporting another OS some time ago.  If they ever do change their mind,  we're unlikely to find out about it until there's a launch...

Well, they ***** have those 70 bucks from me if they wish to listen to their customer. 

Let's start a kickstarter for Evernote so that they build a Linux client in QT. Why not. That would make Evernote a truly democratically run company.

29 minutes ago, gazumped said:

You're assuming there's a budget?  Evernote pretty much ruled out supporting another OS some time ago.  If they ever do change their mind,  we're unlikely to find out about it until there's a launch...

It's great to have an employee of Evernote here to keep us informed of the inside scoop on product planning and development! 

14 minutes ago, crablouis said:

It's great to have an employee of Evernote here to keep us informed of the inside scoop on product planning and development! 

Don't look at me for that - I'm just a user.  And we're assuming that this is a democracy?  Evernote make the products and we're free to decide whether or not to buy,  but that's as far as it goes...

21 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Don't look at me for that - I'm just a user.  And we're assuming that this is a democracy?  Evernote make the products and we're free to decide whether or not to buy,  but that's as far as it goes...

Oh, but, you speak with such authority.  This is a user forum, and this topic is for users who'd like to see a Linux version of the product. So, this is the appropriate place to voice those ideas. Insofar as we, even including people like you, are free here to voice our opinions as users of the product, it is indeed a democracy. If you find that threatening, perhaps you should look for other forum topics more to your liking. There must be a hints topic, or some place you can favor us with your ingenious Evernote user hints. I encourage you to go there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, piotroxp said:

Let's start a kickstarter for Evernote so that they build a Linux client in QT. Why not. That would make Evernote a truly democratically run company.

That's cute, but I doubt that Evernote actually wants to be a democratically run company. Not that democracy is showing all that well at the moment, mind. But the Kickstarter thing could perhaps fund a small development staff to build that client separate from Evernote, which would be the Linux way, right? Or at least support Nevernote, I suppose.

3 hours ago, piotroxp said:

Even if those 70 bucks amounted to an hour of dev time, it would be money well spen

?? If you send me the $70, I'll be happy to start on the design...

• Like 1

I still happen to come here and check this forum every now and then to see if something changes...but I have swapped everything to paperwork since a while in my small company.

• Like 1

I used to love evernote when I was using OSX, but since years I moved to linux and I'm using other softwares. I'd buy a premium account if they would make a linux client

Due to some reasons, I have to switch to Linux as my main working environment. I really hope Evernote will release news that they are going to work on Linux desktop client.

2 minutes ago, Clintko said:

Due to some reasons, I have to switch to Linux as my main working environment. I really hope Evernote will release news that they are going to work on Linux desktop client.

Evernote rarely if ever announce projects in advance,  and have been cutting back to core activities in recent months.  It seems unlikely they're likely to have any major changes of heart.  There are limited options for Linux users - see previous posts and (sorry) the Web client...

4 hours ago, Clintko said:

Keep watching the Evernote Blog. You never know...

5 hours ago, Clintko said:

I really hope Evernote will release news that they are going to work on Linux desktop client.

Never say never, Evernote could surprise us all, but I wouldn’t count on Evernote releasing a Linux client

I’d be looking at alternatives

1. Evernote’s  web platform
  2. Clone applications that use the Evernote database
  3. Export your data out of Evernote

11 hours ago, DTLow said:

Never say never, Evernote could surprise us all, but I wouldn’t count on Evernote releasing a Linux client

I’d be looking at alternatives

1. Evernote’s  web platform
  2. Clone applications that use the Evernote database
  3. Export your data out of Evernote

I have been finding replacement for Evernote. I have tried NixNote2, QOwnNotes, Standard Notes, Turtl, etc. Still, none of them meets my requirement and I could not shift my workflow to Linux, especially how I use Android to collect information and use desktop client to organize them. One might assume that NixNote2 is very promising since it could connect your Evernote account. Among those tools, NixNote really do a great job and it is probably the best option when working on Linux. However, since it use Evernote API to connect Evernote account, there are limitations in synchronization, which is a very critical defect for anyone who use digital note taking application.

13 hours ago, Clintko said:

However, since it use Evernote API to connect Evernote account, there are limitations in synchronization, which is a very critical defect for anyone who use digital note taking application.

What are the limitations? Evernote-written clients also use the Evernote API, right?

I didn't renewed my payment account this year, and just removed all my notes left a minute ago and uninstalled evernote from all my devices.  

Just in case someone is interested, I moved all my stuff to Asana. They do not have a Linux native client either and have their own issues too, but at least their web based client is way better than the only option Evernote provided for Linux users, which is practically unusable, and provides a consistent experience among all devices.

Also the organization of things in "tasks" instead of "notes" from the beginning, and its flawlessly integration with Instagantt are two pluses for my indie developer GTD scheme. Those disappointed with Evernote, may well give it a try, though I must insists that what fitted for me has not necessarily to fit for others.

As an addendum, I'd like to add that the pointless arrogance and disdain for other users shown by most of those labeled as "gurus" here doesn't help to attract and keep new users. But that's only my opinion...

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2013-01-01 2017-09-19&q=evernote

Bye!

1 hour ago, Fran Marzoa said:

I moved all my stuff to Asana

My impression of Asana is it’s a team task management service whereas Evernote is a generic note filing service

>>They do not have a Linux native client either

I’m interested in alternatives but the important point in this discussion is a Linux native client

>>Bye!

Good bye, good luck.  Thanks for your contributions to the forums

I had to move to Linux a few weeks ago and such a dissapoinment not to have a native evernote app for linux. After reading this forum, i think i'll have to look for an alternative to evernote.

Evernote has been sending out a new survey in emails with the subject "Help us improve Evernote".  They seem to ignore their own forums, but maybe they will pay some attention is people fill out the survey and ask for Linux support?  It's worth a try!  Of course they don't even include this important feature idea in the survey, since they mostly want to bolt on a bunch of sharing/collaboration stuff, but at least we can emphasize the importance of Linux support in all of the text boxes where you fill in your own requests.  So if you get the mail, maybe fill out the survey even though it's a long one!

7 hours ago, Flash G said:

Evernote has been sending out a new survey in emails with the subject "Help us improve Evernote".  They seem to ignore their own forums, but maybe they will pay some attention is people fill out the survey and ask for Linux support?  It's worth a try!  Of course they don't even include this important feature idea in the survey, since they mostly want to bolt on a bunch of sharing/collaboration stuff, but at least we can emphasize the importance of Linux support in all of the text boxes where you fill in your own requests.  So if you get the mail, maybe fill out the survey even though it's a long one!

The other thing that you can do is root for them to improve the web client, which actually exists today (as opposed to an official Evernote client for Linux), but seems like it needs some attention.

• Like 2

We do consider seriously to move to another solution either, due to many, many issues.

0. Storage and encryption

Simple cloud space, sensitive notes in combination with boxcryptor or cryptomator (opensource)  encrypted folders. Both has mobile versions.

1. To grab webpages

We found an extension for Firefox and Chrome, dotEPUB which is able to safe our pages to epub format ! So we are able to read them properly
in an eReader on a tablet if needed.

2. Wiki notes

Additionally we found Haroopad, a nice Markdown editor that supports multiplatform, as an app for OSX.  It works great. Code on the left, WYSIWYG on the right pane.
So for now we create our wiki in this great editor in .md format. Again we store them in cloud space.

Evernote is a hassle to write nice wiki in Markdown. Especially when You want to create technical wiki.

So we think we found a very good alternative to Evernote that is clearly not ready for multiplatform and as tool for developers who are in need to write
technical notes in a standard markup language.

3. Versioning

We currently look how to match in GIT to the story to version our notes with a repo. Things we lack too in Evernote.

Conclusion

So most likely a good bye to Evernote.

• Thanks 1

The only viable option for Linux, other than using the web client, is to keep everything in Dropbox in common document formats, and use Recoll or a similar indexing service on the desktop to create a search index. Take notes in LibreOffice or as PDF markups. The notes you already have can be exported as HTML. For encryption, there's a number of methods available.

Other than using a file system based database, there's really nothing available for Linux. It's still not really commercially viable to create a Evernote like service for it. Linux just now in the August of 2017 reached 3% desktop market penetration. It doesn't exist on mobile, for all practical purposes. Unless some enthusiasts decide to create code for free, or someone finds a way to Ron Evernote or Onenote under Wine, a file based database is going to remain the only option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

or someone finds a way to Ron Evernote or Onenote under Wine

If you check around the forums,  there are several posts from linux users who seem to be doing that quite successfully.

On 2017-10-26 at 2:36 AM, Amtriorix said:

We do consider seriously to move to another solution either, due to many, many issues.

3 hours ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

keep everything in Dropbox in common document formats, and use Recoll or a similar indexing service on the desktop to create a search index.

From a Linux perspective, what are the advantages of giving up the Evernote storage?

My purpose in using Evernote is to avoid storing my documents in Dropbox style folders, and to make use of Evernote's search indexing
I also like Evernote's Note format so my documents are stored within and linked between notes

>>Take notes in LibreOffice or as PDF markups.
I find the Evernote editor useful for simple notes; however for serious writing I switch to dedicated word processing services

>>The notes you already have can be exported as HTML.
I actually do this as an backup

19 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you check around the forums,  there are several posts from linux users who seem to be doing that quite successfully.

This must depend on the individual setup... afaik for Onenote, it only works with 2007 and even then not for everyone. And not sure about Evernote.

I tried and it didn't work for me.

20 hours ago, DTLow said:

From a Linux perspective, what are the advantages of giving up the Evernote storage?

None, if you can make it work and are happy with the results and limitations. Looking at this thread though, not all users are.

There's four heavy technology users in our family. We have two desktops (running W10 and Mint), three personal laptops (W10, W7 and Evolution), three iPads, one Android tablet, two iPhones and two Android phones. We also have kids' school issued Chromebooks, my work laptop running W7, and share some files with my in-laws.

When we tried to standardize on one tool to capture and share all data, it was a pain in the rear. Too much compromise and jumping through hoops. Instead, I decided that for this to work the best, data must be platform and tool independent, as long as it's 1)searchable 2) sharable 3) accessible. So, saving in common file formats, especially PDF, using whatever indexing utility exists on each system, using cross platform encryption for documents that need to be protected. My wife still uses Evernote because she doesn't want to move her cookbook database. Everything else is PDF, doc, excel or jpg.

23 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'm not a Linux user,  so don't understand the niceties.  Just sayin - it works for some,  YMMV.  ;)

Don't know if this adds anything to the pot - apologies if it's been quoted already... http://www.pcworld.com/article/3201149/linux/how-to-use-evernote-in-linux.html

I have gotten Evernote to work under Wine and used third party clients. Thought that had got it sorted many years ago. But Evernote updates broke the wine implementation (by messing up the pseudo registry - something you don't really want to disentangle). Also updates to *ubuntu broke the Linux clients as they were not supported and updated to run current libraries. Pity EV couldn't have picked up one and run with it. We, and many others, might still have been with them

Which said to me trying to fix a problem with no support would only lead to a greater problem in the future - and THE BOTTOM LINE was no way did we want to grow our important data on an unsupported platform application. And no, we weren't prepared to return to Windows.

So departed and haven't looked back. Use SimpleNote for simple stuff and ownCloud/NextCloud for heavy data sharing. A better solution (for us) at a better price (free).

Committing mission critical stuff to a limited proprietary platform leaves you a hostage to a company that wasn't the one I first engaged with.

The single biggest challenge for me is taking quick notes on the fly and have them auto save and sync to all devices. This is where Evernote and Onenote shine. The problem I ran into is that there's no way to quickly start a new word document on mobile without multiple taps, and have it automatically save.

For now, I am using Notability on iOS, and have it set up to automatically back up all notes to a predefined cloud location in PDF format. This works well for one time quick notes.

I did look at Simplenote but I often use images in my notes.

5 hours ago, Wanderling Reborn said:

The problem I ran into is that there's no way to quickly start a new word document on mobile without multiple taps

Agreed; I like to use alternate editors and its not as easy as using the default Evernote editor

Also, some platforms don't play well with editing embeded documents.  The Win/Mac platforms do a great job of exporting the document, launching the editor, watching for completion, and then importing the modified document.

If I know I'll be updating the document, I'll leave it in the cloud location, and include a link in the note

We did switch to Laverna for most technical docs.
https://laverna.cc

It is multiplatform and it supports cloud sync and encryption.
However beware to store in the cloud your settings too.

We can not keep waiting on evernote who seems not to understand, some people need markdown for technical notes.

Okay,

Truth is Evernote have no plans to develop there application for Linux community.

I ready many people saying Linux users to use Web platform, let me clear web platform is even worst. 

It automatically copied all my notes 3-4 times. Evernote support executive told me to delete notes.

Damn they have issues with Firefox ☹️

Evernote support executive  not know there is no application for Linux, I think they thought window and mac exist. 

If we have web platform only then why not choose onenote.

17 minutes ago, daljeet singh said:

Truth is Evernote have no plans to develop there application for Linux community.

No surprise there, but beside the web client (which is not great at the moment), you can also use:

On 3/5/2018 at 11:07 AM, premier69 said:

It's called NixNote

ise this link to install it: https://github.com/baumgarr/nixnote2

you can thank me later :)

Evernote isn't interested in a Linux version, so don't hold your breath for a native Linux version.

Part of the problem is that there is no competition in the Linux market.  If Microsoft announced an official Linux version of OneNote you'd be sure to see an about-face and Evernote would at least take Linux under consideration.  And there are no note applications for Linux that has any draw upon Windows and Mac users.  

Best bet may be if Google came in with a note-taking application (other than Docs) because you know that it would work in the web, which means it would work for all platforms and a local client would probably be open enough to let open source projects tap into it.

As usual, it is the Linux community that tries to come to the rescue and a few have been mentioned in this thread. 

• NixNote2
  • Quentier (it's not bad, but a little unstable... like me! ;) )
  • Tusk Evernote Client (a Snap app)

I wish somebody could turn around the Mac version and make it into a Snap or Flatpak to run on Linux.

Some things that could change the situation could be from

• Snap, Flatpak and AppImage containers (be great if someone could take the Mac version, switch components to work in Linux and containerize it)
  • Growing use of PWA (Progressive Web Apps) which are like Electron apps (web apps in their own window, with notification and other integration with the system).  While the growth will be on Windows and other systems, it "may" mean the web version gets an improvement.
  • Growth of Chromebooks may push the web interface version.
  • Work being done to run Android Apps on Linux (not emulator or VM, full-speed) could mean the Android version comes available to Linux

But the bottom line is, for now, it is too much work for them to offer to a "too small" market, and until Microsoft or Google legitimizes the market by coming out with their own Linux version as a competitor, Evernote isn't going to spend any money or time on it.

Could they? Yes.

Will they? No.

22 minutes ago, Dragonbite said:

But the bottom line is, for now, it is too much work for them to offer to a "too small" market

Hi.  I can understand the frustration,  but Evernote is a commercial operation,  chasing the bottom line - exactly like Google,  who have started and then dropped too many products to mention,  and Microsoft who have probably done the same but most lately and famously dropped out of the mobile phone market for purely commercial reasons. 

If a company doesn't think it can make a profit out of a market,  it won't enter it - and I'd assume that Evernote has looked,  given the interest shown in this and other threads,  but has decided I ain't gonna happen - yet.

There's a possibility that they're already planning something for the future - but Evernote (like the others) doesn't -usually- share what might be in their pipeline until it's launched.

2 hours ago, daljeet singh said:

This thread is open in 2013 but still we don't get our problem solutiions

No point now - people committed to Linux have found other solutions - mostly using other platforms. And with it Evernote has lost some of their best recommenders.

Look back to see why NixNote may be useful tactically but would fail any serious strategic review. No fault of its developer - more that Evernote couldn't be bothered to breathe a bit of support to sustain it across distro and library upgrades

On 5/8/2018 at 9:25 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  I can understand the frustration,  but Evernote is a commercial operation,  chasing the bottom line - exactly like Google,  who have started and then dropped too many products to mention,  and Microsoft who have probably done the same but most lately and famously dropped out of the mobile phone market for purely commercial reasons. 

If a company doesn't think it can make a profit out of a market,  it won't enter it - and I'd assume that Evernote has looked,  given the interest shown in this and other threads,  but has decided I ain't gonna happen - yet.

There's a possibility that they're already planning something for the future - but Evernote (like the others) doesn't -usually- share what might be in their pipeline until it's launched.

Nixnote2 have 500 downloads per day or 182.000 downloads per year so there is a market for Evernote for Linux which will be much larger if there where a native Linux client.

Nixnote2 have some bugs that makes it irritating to work with. I am a paying Evernote customer and consider to cancel because of a lack of a linux client or support for Nixnote2 or running Evernote on Wine which does not work well either.

40 minutes ago, rphessing said:

I am a paying Evernote customer and consider to cancel because of a lack of a linux client or support for Nixnote2 or running Evernote on Wine which does not work well either.

Always your right and your choice to vote with your feet - it might be worth waiting around for a little while though..  looks like some interesting changes to Evernote Web are on the way through,  and as long as Evernote is still a browser option in any OS,  and effective web solution might be better than nothing.

1 hour ago, rphessing said:

Nixnote2 have 500 downloads per day or 182.000 downloads per year so there is a market for Evernote for Linux which will be much larger if there where a native Linux client.

But hey, if you're Evernote, maybe you're saying "cool, someone else is doing that work for free."

1 hour ago, rphessing said:

Nixnote2 have some bugs that makes it irritating to work with.

Is this where we cue the Open Source chorus "given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow"? Not to mention that Evernote has plenty of bugs that make it irritating for some people to work with. Given that Evernote hasn't historically seemed interested in developing a native Linux client, how about supporting the person who does?

In addition, I think that everyone's hoping that the promised new version of the Evernote web client becomes a much more viable application than the current one.

• Like 1