aventador972

other Evernote for Linux

427 posts in this topic

I have just gotten Ubuntu 13.04 on my computer. Is there an Evernote for Linux or should I just use Wine?

3 people like this

I have just gotten Ubuntu 13.04 on my computer. Is there an Evernote for Linux or should I just use Wine?

Please search the board on linux. Evernote has no plans to make a linux client but other options are discussed.

1 person likes this

Also search the web/forum for NoxNote and EverPad, two native, 3rd-party clients. They may work for you. And the web client is improving on a pretty regular basis.

2 people like this

I installed Evernote 5 under Wine to see if it was worth upgrading my Windows Evernote too. Unfortunately I didn't like it so only gave it 20 minutes, but can report it worked fine.

Both Everpad and Nixnote (Nevernote) suck! In addition, Evernote native client sucks under wine. After trying these, I use Evernote's slow web client (website). There is a HUGE community of Linux users, many of them using Evernote (some of them like me, on a daily basis). I really think Evernote should respect all of its users. It's a democratic world, not an authoritrian one where you dictate your users which OS they should use.

We really want it dear Evernote!

9 people like this

Both Everpad and Nixnote (Nevernote) suck! In addition, Evernote native client sucks under wine. After trying these, I use Evernote's slow web client (website). There is a HUGE community of Linux users, many of them using Evernote (some of them like me, on a daily basis). I really think Evernote should respect all of its users. It's a democratic world, not an authoritrian one where you dictate your users which OS they should use.

Evernote certainly does respect their users. Just because they don't do something you want them to do doesn't mean they are disrespecting you. A company is not a democracy. Those in charge have to make choices & they have chosen to not make a Linux client. And lastly, they are not dictating (or even trying to dictate) what OS you use.

4 people like this

Evernote certainly does respect their users. Just because they don't do something you want them to do doesn't mean they are disrespecting you. A company is not a democracy. Those in charge have to make choices & they have chosen to not make a Linux client. And lastly, they are not dictating (or even trying to dictate) what OS you use.

First, it's not just what I want them to do, it's a repeated request from the huge free software community and particularly Linux community. Second, Evernote is not a regular company, it was a startup that grew up using the funds from public companies, organizations, and universities. "Public" implies that it was financially supported by the taxes paid by people. So, now it's the company's turn to pay back the money by offering its service to all of those people out there, and not to exclude a large portion of them, even though they're not the majority (but still they're a huge crowd). And last, by refusing to offer your service for a big OS, doesn't it mean that you're shouting at people out there: "Okey guys, if you want to use our service, you should use either Windows or Mac, we hate Linux"?

I personally think they're afraid from letting people see their source code, and on the other hand, it's ugly to provide a non-free (code-wise) software for Linux. That's their problem in my opinion.

2 people like this

Erm, Evernote is a privately funded company. I don't think they've ever accepted or been offered a single tax dollar.

They've been 100% clear that they have no plans to release a Linux client - not sure there is much point in continuing to complain about it.

5 people like this

,...much less make up ridiculous stories about them, and without seeming to understand that public companies are not necessarily "financially supported by the taxes paid by people" (even if Evernote were public). And by the way -- did you notice that Evernote offers a free service -- yes, ab-so-lutely free, as in free beer. Why, did you know that Evernote doesn't "hate Linux"; in fact, they run Linux on their servers, at least as far as late last year. And hey, you can develop your own Linux client using the very same API that they use -- isn't that the Linux way? Or maybe getting behind the 3rd-party folks who do make Linux clients, rather than just complaining about how the stuff they make "sucks"? Fix it up, make it better then.

When you choose an OS or any ecosystem, you make choices. Your choice has some downsides (as does anyone else's choice), but the promise of open source is that you can improve your living conditions. It's in your hands -- what are you waiting for? You have the means, but do you have the motivation?

6 people like this

"Public" implies that it was financially supported by the taxes paid by people. 

A "public" company is one that has shareholders as opposed to one that is privately held. It refers to the company's stock being publicly traded on a stock market. It does not mean it has received government funds. Mind you, I don't know if Evernote is privately held or public (don't actually care).

2 people like this

It's private Meg, although the CEO has talked about an IPO in the next few years (soon).

It's private Meg, although the CEO has talked about an IPO in the next few years (soon).

Privately held has the advantage of not having to answer to shareholders, but, eventually, I expect they'll need the money. Unless, of course, they can get some of that government funding.  ;)

There are many products that only work on either Mac or Windows and we don't demonize those companies. It is up to a company to decide what operating systems they want their product to work on.

Wikipedia shows the following percentages of users for various operating systems as of Aug 2013

Windows - 90.81%

OS X - 7.26%

Linux - 1.52%

At the moment, there are still more Windows Vista users than Linux users and we don't force companies to create software for Windows Vista.  I like that Linux is an option but it is just not cost effective to develop software for an operating system used by so few people.

Choosing Linux as an operating system and complaining about software availability is like living on an Island and complaining about ferry costs.

5 people like this

Hello everyone and hello CapitainTime ,

you forget something in your answer .. statistics on Wikipedia counts
only Ubuntu as linux system and compares it to all versions of Windows from XP.

So if you look now , it is not 1.52 but 1.66 % of users "Ubuntu " (+ 0.14 % in one month ). To restore the truth , we should also add the users of Fedora , KUbuntu , Mint , Elementary, Voyager and so on , which are not included in the calculation. I think Linux users are deliberately underestimated and this promotes dominiation " microsoft " then he just look a little more closely to see that many "Windows" applications are developed for Linux ( Dropbox, Hubic , Teamviewer , Firefox , Chrome, Google music manager , skype , Filezilla , adobe reader, Thunderbird and many others .... )

for an idea , go see this chart of Linux distributions :
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg

it is time to learn about the world of free distributions for just 5% difference between OSX and Ubuntu if all Linux distributions are added, you have plenty of public to develop a Linux version (I say "you" but I do not know if you work in Evernote;), I speak well of the team Evernote)

4 people like this

Whatever the numbers, there are undoubtedly more linux users than Windows RT ones (is it just called Surface or Surface 2 today?), and Evernote has an app for that, so I don't think it is just a numbers thing. It seems to me that, for whatever reason, Evernote decided early on (despite using Linux themselves, of course) not to extend official support to this platform. I don't know why, but I doubt this is going to change anytime soon. My recommendation would be to fund/support/build a third-party client. One already exists now.

3 people like this

I'm been a Premium user almost since Evernote started. I accept that the company has a perfect right to develop a desktop client for Linux or not as they choose. Nevertheless I'm very disappointed that they choose not to. For at least 5 years I've resisted a permanent switch to Linux only because I haven't been prepared to abandon Evernote.

Now that EN have changed from "no intentions at this stage" to giving the full finger to Linux users I'm abandoning my Premium account and making the switch to Linux.

It would be interesting to find out how many other potential Linux users are not boosting the open source OS numbers purely because of Evernote.

Evernote, please reconsider. I can't believe that it would be a huge job to produce a Linux client for a team which produced one for UNIX based OS X.

Is the reluctance because Linux users are considered unlikely to pay for Premium services?

8 people like this

I'm been a Premium user almost since Evernote started. I accept that the company has a perfect right to develop a desktop client for Linux or not as they choose. Nevertheless I'm very disappointed that they choose not to. For at least 5 years I've resisted a permanent switch to Linux only because I haven't been prepared to abandon Evernote.

Now that EN have changed from "no intentions at this stage" to giving the full finger to Linux users I'm abandoning my Premium account and making the switch to Linux.

It would be interesting to find out how many other potential Linux users are not boosting the open source OS numbers purely because of Evernote.

Evernote, please reconsider. I can't believe that it would be a huge job to produce a Linux client for a team which produced one for UNIX based OS X.

Is the reluctance because Linux users are considered unlikely to pay for Premium services?

This has been hashed, rehashed & re-rehashed.  It's a business decision & it's odd that that is perceived as "giving the full finger".  It's not b/c EN hates linux and/or linux users.  Anyone who dislikes the existing options (IE web client, Nixnote) can use the EN API to build their own linux client, if they'd like. 

Anyone who dislikes the existing options (IE web client, Nixnote) can use the EN API to build their own linux client, if they'd like. 

Grrr ... I have more trouble with this kind of response (I'm not angry against you, I say this with all courtesy of course), stop again, to stigmatize Linux users .. Because we are a Linux user, we programmer! this is wrong! We say that there is more and more users of free OS and therefore more and more people are not computer experts. My mother 56 years old, is under Linux Mint. She does not know how to program a solution Evernote and why does it not have the right to have an Evernote client?

3 people like this

Your mum can use the web client - this is the solution for Linux users (Or Wine or Nixnote etc).

Nobody have a divine right to use Evernote, if you choose to use a platform for which they don't provide a native client well that's kinda your fault, not theirs.

Linux users aren't being stigmatised, this isn't some personal war that Libin and Co are waging against you - it's a business decision that they have made and have shown no inclination to change.

1 person likes this

I think that this is kinda misguided. First, Linux != Unix. Second, programming for the Linux GUI is not the same as programming for the Mac GUI. There's usually a lot of code sunk into programming an application's user interface, maybe even more than is written to implement the under-the-hood functionality. Now if Evernote had used a cross-platform toolkit for their Mac development, Qt, you might be onto something. But if they went native, then that probably doesn't translate to not "a huge job". I don't actually know what they do on the Mac, but this is a deeper question than the premise assumes.

Yes. No. We don't know. Does it matter?

Anyone who dislikes the existing options (IE web client, Nixnote) can use the EN API to build their own linux client, if they'd like.

Grrr ... I have more trouble with this kind of response (I'm not angry against you, I say this with all courtesy of course), stop again, to stigmatize Linux users .. Because we are a Linux user, we programmer! this is wrong! We say that there is more and more users of free OS and therefore more and more people are not computer experts. My mother 56 years old, is under Linux Mint. She does not know how to program a solution Evernote and why does it not have the right to have an Evernote client?

I'm 56 years old. What does age have to do with anything substantive? Please stop throwing around overly dramatic words like "stigmatize" with respect to Linux users. I don't think it means what you think it does: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stigmatize

I think that this is kinda misguided. First, Linux != Unix. Second, programming for the Linux GUI is not the same as programming for the Mac GUI. There's usually a lot of code sunk into programming an application's user interface, maybe even more than is written to implement the under-the-hood functionality. Now if Evernote had used a cross-platform toolkit for their Mac development, Qt, you might be onto something. But if they went native, then that probably doesn't translate to not "a huge job". I don't actually know what they do on the Mac, but this is a deeper question than the premise assumes.

Evernote Desktop for Windows uses the Chromium Embedded Framework. Basically, it's like Google Chrome, only with the "browser UI parts" cut out and with a different application reusing the same foundations (GUI toolkit, networking stack, etc.) So it is actually very much as if it were written in Qt. No need to rewrite anything - well, perhaps some fairly minor portions.

I would like to see a linux client, I would even pay a nominal fee for it in addition to my premium membership. I have used nixnote and everpad and feel the Windows version is FAR superior. 

2 people like this

Evernote Desktop for Windows uses the Chromium Embedded Framework. Basically, it's like Google Chrome, only with the "browser UI parts" cut out and with a different application reusing the same foundations (GUI toolkit, networking stack, etc.) So it is actually very much as if it were written in Qt. No need to rewrite anything - well, perhaps some fairly minor portions.

Forgive me for not knowing (and I couldn't determine conclusively by a quick reading of the online docs), but isn't the CEF used only for the note rendering part of things, and not for any of the actual UI framework?