paulceaston

chrome Please allow editing keyboard shortcuts

Idea

I love the new Evernote Web Clipper. My one issue is that I am unable to take advantage of the keyboard shortcuts as the shortcut for taking the screenshot is the same as deleting a message in Gmail. Every time I delete a message in Gmail, Web Clipper takes over my browser with a screen shot and the Skitch arrow. While Gmail does allow me to change my shortcuts, I don't want to because of the design of my keyboard, and it is already in muscle memory. I use Gmail far more than Evernote. Unfortunately, Evernote Clipper doesn't allow me to change the shortcut for screen shots or just disable that one short cut, it is all or nothing. Please allow editing of keyboard shortcuts as you can in the Evernote Desktop Client.

61 replies to this idea

Yeah we're working on a fix for this. Can you guys confirm what key combinations triggers Web Clipper in Gmail when it shouldn't?

• Like 1

Since I write in Markdown most of the day and the backtick is used for inline code, being unable to edit the shortcuts is a pain point. That's been my biggest issue so far.

Cheers,

Evan

• Like 1

+1 please allow modify keyboard shortcut. thank you.

Or allow disable evernote shortcut at certain website (e.g., gmail).

It is annoying the keyboard shortcut of evernote and gmail conflicts.

The key ones that i have conflicts with are the ` and ~ - back tick and tilde. These are used in Gmail's inbox.

Having a single on/off switch for the evernote shortcuts smacks of lazy design/programming.  User centered design would allow each shortcut to be edited and/or disabled individually.

Yes, you ought to consider making shortcuts CUSTOMIZABLE, please. In fact don't you know not every keyboard have keys as you think

For istance my work PC's leyboard hasn't a "` key". The result? no comfortable shortcut key = less usage of Web Clipper....

• Like 1

You also need to make available editing keyboard shortcuts on Skitch or Evernote. I can't keep Skitch open because there is a conflict with the shortcut to create a bullet list in Evernote (ctrl+shift+B ), which instead opens a blank file in Skitch. So I can't keep Skitch running in the background.

+1. On international keyboards, the backtick is not necessarily very accessible. 

e.g on Danish keyboards, it's shift+"the key to the left of backspace" followed by a "space". Not good.

Please please please allow these to be edited. The web clipper updated and all of a sudden Web Clipper starts intercepting all my other web app shortcuts. This made me angry at the elephant until I figured out what was going on. I don't want to be angry at the elephant, and I don't want to have to turn off the Web Clipper.

• Like 1

what exactly is the default web clipper screenshot shortcut?  I'm using latest Firefox, latest Evernote desktop (PC) and latest webclipper add-on.  The only reason I have installed this is to get captures of USPS.com's Click N Ship invoices for tax purposes (they don't have an export function, maddeningly -- I have other options now (stamps dot com, shipworks), but capturing 2012's records are cumbersome).  At the moment I am having to leave the keyboard to click the webclipper button for every invoice, and there are hundreds.  What do I do??

The backtick activates the clipper, the letter M sets it to take a screenshot, and then hit enter/return.

For the sake of a paperwork backup, though, you might want to print to PDF? Macs and Chrome have it built-in, but there are also options like BullZip and CutePDF. HTH.

@keyboard cat

Screenshots are currently only available on Chrome (but coming to Firefox later this fall)

In Chrome:

1) backtick (`) to start Web Clipper

2) M for screenshot

One thing I would like to see: The ~ when used starts the clipper like it does now and then the panel slides closed. I would like, If I hit it again, to have it slide the panel back open, like a toggle to display it. I personally do not like having to grab the mouse and click the little tab to reopen the panel for tools, etc.

on French keyboards, it is even worse: every time I type @ it triggers the capture !

Imagine every single mail address you type, you're re routed to the capture... what a pain. 

I need to de activate it for now.

on French keyboards, it is even worse: every time I type @ it triggers the capture !

Imagine every single mail address you type, you're re routed to the capture... what a pain. 

I need to de activate it for now.

This is really very annoying : indeed : the @ sign op Belgian (French?) keyboards op the clipper

De-activation does not have any effect.

Cannot change the shortcuts neither.

Evernote ... please fix this !

thank you

Luc

On a Swedish keyboard ` is just nu accessible....

Neither on the Italian keyboard.  :angry:

On a Belgian keyboard there is a @ at the location of the ` key (upper left)

Everytime I fill in a mailadres the clipper jumps in.

Very frustrating.

Please change behavior (allow me to switch off shortcuts or allow me to change them)

Luc

• Like 1