Please allow editing keyboard shortcuts

MNBlockHead

Idea

I love the new Evernote Web Clipper. My one issue is that I am unable to take advantage of the keyboard shortcuts as the shortcut for taking the screenshot is the same as deleting a message in Gmail. Every time I delete a message in Gmail, Web Clipper takes over my browser with a screen shot and the Skitch arrow. While Gmail does allow me to change my shortcuts, I don't want to because of the design of my keyboard, and it is already in muscle memory. I use Gmail far more than Evernote. Unfortunately, Evernote Clipper doesn't allow me to change the shortcut for screen shots or just disable that one short cut, it is all or nothing. Please allow editing of keyboard shortcuts as you can in the Evernote Desktop Client.

61 replies to this idea

+1 for this

The ` to activate, is on the Swedish char "Ö" which means every time I try to write text with "Ö" included, evernote pops up

Now I have totally disabled shortcuts, but instead, give us possibility to change

Now I even plan on uninstall evenote app in Chrome since it gives me so much headache...

Whats the status update for this??

Worse than this, going into the options to edit the shortcut to something acceptable, such as Alt-' (I had to turn it off to type this) I find I am unable to overwrite it.

Hey, can I add my voice to this please.

I've just noticed an issue (currently running the beta to try and sort out gmail clipping).

The shortcut to launch the clipper is '. The problem with this, as I've just discovered, is that when writing an email, if I'm writing something like "it's", this launches the clipper and then sets it to screenshot...

So basically I can't write a pretty basic part of English...

Just discovered this "feature" today as the Chrome extension must have updated. It's been driving me mad all day and I finally worked out the clipper was appearing with every apostrophe (UK keyboard). Glad it can be turned off even though it can't be customised.

Was this actually tested before deploying? Seems like it's going to annoy lots of non-US users...

Just to echo other users, I would love to see this fixed. The functionality would be great if customisable, but is rather poor that it is set to a key you would likely use when typing.

Since I'm using UK keyboard, I have had to disable so I can continue to use apostrophes.

I’ve just managed to turn this off. For Chrome, go to your extensions page, click on the “options” of the Evernote extension, select the tab “Keyboard shortcuts” and deselect “Enable keyboard shortcuts”. The apostrophe was next to the “Start Web  Clipper” and once I deselected the option, it greyed out.  I can now type in gmail using apostrophes without Evernote Clipper opening up……

Configurable shortcuts is scheduled for the next release.

I can't imagine myself experiencing Evernote Premium. Reading all these treads about frustrated users, and the vague replies, have made me decide not to pay for premium any time soon. And I can't imagine myself being convincing enough to recommend this to a friend. Step up! Anyone working with computers for a living prioritize ergonomics, and who is the one most likely to pay for premium, the guy that makes it part of his system to work more efficient, or the student or amateur who does it for "fun".  

I was pretty shocked to see that the keyboard shortcuts weren't editable... they sure look like text boxes.  Also surprised it has taken this long to release a patch for that considering how much conflict it can create with users other bindings.  Please make sure that the modifier keys are configurable as well... Ctrl+Alt is a pattern I only use for system global hotkeys.

(Admittedly I don't have a place to argue as I'm not paying for Premium... [yet ;)])

I have a Swedish keyboard layout, and whenever I type the letter ö (U+00F6) in Gmail the Evernote web clipper is activated...mucho annoying, as you can imagine. IIRC backtick is on the same key with en-US layout.

This is what I have installed in Chrome:

Evernote web clipper
Build ID 67199cf/1.0.2.250

Until it becomes possible to edit the keyboard shortcuts I won't be able to use them.

It seems the problem is confined to Gmail - web clipper is not activated if I type 'ö' while writing this forum post, for example.

Just want to say that I love Evernote.

The problem for me is that it's not a tilda or whatever ` is, (although in the "options" that's what is shown as turning on webclipper). The problem is that ' (i.e. an apostrophy) activates web clipper (I'm on win8 using UK keyboard), so it means that I can't write contractions/possessions etc.

Actually if it was set to ` to activate then that would probably be fine, as I never use it...

any news on this ' key conflict?

if i type anything in gmail with a ' in it then the clipper slides in. It's driving me up the wall

was this new version ever released to fix the issue?

EDIT: scrub that, i've just found i can switch off/customise the shortcuts from the extension options in the latest version

EDIT: scrub that, i've just found i can switch off/customise the shortcuts from the extension options in the latest version

Do you mean just switch them off? Mine are still not customisable, and I'd really like to use them. Wouldn't be able to type this sentence if I had them on though!

Do you mean just switch them off? Mine are still not customisable, and I'd really like to use them. Wouldn't be able to type this sentence if I had them on though!

well i switched them off completely, i'm pretty sure before I did though i was able to customise the ' key

Is there any further news on this?  I keep a lot of notes in foreign languages which extensively use symbols such as hacek (ǒ), grave (ò) and circumflex (ô).  The problem for me is that circumflex is typed by hitting 'Option' + 6 on a Mac keyboard.  This however is perilously close to 'Command + 6' which to me is a totally useless shortcut that I NEVER use that merely just takes me to the first note in the all notes view.  It does so however at the expense of NOT saving any changes I have been working on such that I have to try to remember to 'Sync' after every few keystrokes unless I want this useless shortcut to take me out of my note, without saving!!  If shortcuts will do that I would AT LEAST expect a 'Save changes before exiting' prompt.  Failing that, can we at leaf have the facility to disable shortcuts.

Hi thanks.  Where do I change them. In Safari or the Mac client.  I'm not using shortcuts from or in internet pages, just in the Evernote client itself when editing (albeit having lost about 8 hours worth of typing changes I'm unlikely to be doing any more editing in Evernote at all).

Huge thanks for this.

One issue: in Safari, at least, the options are buried in the sidebar of the clipper itself, and never shown in the Safari preferences for the extension. I think the same is true for the Chrome version. I expect this is because they can share more code this way, but it's quite hard to find. Integrating with the standard extension settings would be useful and much more discoverable.

Another "me too" for the ability to modify keyboard shortcuts....  Specifically, I use the date/time shortcut frequently with a lot of my entries, but I usually go back and increase the font size and make it bold  so it will stand out.  I could think of other unique tweeks, but the date/time change is the one I'd use the most.  Any potential for a change here?

Thanks.

Rick

Please, please allow us to reassign keyboard shortcuts. I use indenting and strikethrough all the time. Both use three-key combinations that don't match what my other writing programs use. Please let me change these to combinations I don't have to look up every time!

(And while on the subject, why is your text formatting menu so meager? These are both pretty standard commands—e.g., they're both in the comment text menu above. Why are you making us work so hard?)

what exactly is the default web clipper screenshot shortcut?  I'm using latest Firefox, latest Evernote desktop (PC) and latest webclipper add-on.  The only reason I have installed this is to get captures of USPS.com's Click N Ship invoices for tax purposes (they don't have an export function, maddeningly -- I have other options now (stamps dot com, shipworks), but capturing 2012's records are cumbersome).  At the moment I am having to leave the keyboard to click the webclipper button for every invoice, and there are hundreds.  What do I do??

The key ones that i have conflicts with are the ` and ~ - back tick and tilde. These are used in Gmail's inbox.

Having a single on/off switch for the evernote shortcuts smacks of lazy design/programming.  User centered design would allow each shortcut to be edited and/or disabled individually.

Yes, you ought to consider making shortcuts CUSTOMIZABLE, please. In fact don't you know not every keyboard have keys as you think

For istance my work PC's leyboard hasn't a "` key". The result? no comfortable shortcut key = less usage of Web Clipper....

You also need to make available editing keyboard shortcuts on Skitch or Evernote. I can't keep Skitch open because there is a conflict with the shortcut to create a bullet list in Evernote (ctrl+shift+B ), which instead opens a blank file in Skitch. So I can't keep Skitch running in the background.

Please please please allow these to be edited. The web clipper updated and all of a sudden Web Clipper starts intercepting all my other web app shortcuts. This made me angry at the elephant until I figured out what was going on. I don't want to be angry at the elephant, and I don't want to have to turn off the Web Clipper.

SHIFT+` is the Readability extension, and Evernote steps on that.  Two points here:

1. They had it first, and SHIFT+` is actually a tilde, is it not?
  2. HOW does SHIFT+`, which is a tilde, actually activate Evernote?  Are you guys trying to detect the actual key press, and not the character?

The backtick activates the clipper, the letter M sets it to take a screenshot, and then hit enter/return.

For the sake of a paperwork backup, though, you might want to print to PDF? Macs and Chrome have it built-in, but there are also options like BullZip and CutePDF. HTH.

One thing I would like to see: The ~ when used starts the clipper like it does now and then the panel slides closed. I would like, If I hit it again, to have it slide the panel back open, like a toggle to display it. I personally do not like having to grab the mouse and click the little tab to reopen the panel for tools, etc.

on French keyboards, it is even worse: every time I type @ it triggers the capture !

Imagine every single mail address you type, you're re routed to the capture... what a pain. 

I need to de activate it for now.

This is really very annoying : indeed : the @ sign op Belgian (French?) keyboards op the clipper

De-activation does not have any effect.

Cannot change the shortcuts neither.

Evernote ... please fix this !

thank you

Luc

On a Swedish keyboard ` is just nu accessible....

Neither on the Italian keyboard.  :angry:

On a Belgian keyboard there is a @ at the location of the ` key (upper left)

Everytime I fill in a mailadres the clipper jumps in.

Very frustrating.

Please change behavior (allow me to switch off shortcuts or allow me to change them)

Luc

@bwx 

This appears to be a shortcut conflict when using some localized keyboard layouts. (French keyboard has been confirmed)

Here's what you need to do to fix it:

- Update to Safari Web Clipper 6.0.5 (click your username to see what version you have)

- Open the options page and disable all keyboard shortcuts (checkbox on top of the keyboard shortcuts tab) 

We're working on making shortcuts user customizable, once we have that you can turn shortcuts back on and set your own.

Hey, can I add my voice to this please.

I've just noticed an issue (currently running the beta to try and sort out gmail clipping).

The shortcut to launch the clipper is '. The problem with this, as I've just discovered, is that when writing an email, if I'm writing something like "it's", this launches the clipper and then sets it to screenshot...

So basically I can't write a pretty basic part of English...

Archived