(Archived) EN5 Slow?

atangel

Appreciate the feedback, but it was installed on the first day available (so I would hope it has had time to update and reindex but ???). Maybe I'm an outlier, but it just feels sluggish, choppy, and laggy across the board (even deleting one note at a time feels like a chore in the desktop client). I'm was thinking it might have to do with the UI since I doubt 1500 notes qualifies as a lot (DB = 1.5GB) but who knows? Seems like this was not their cleanest set of releases this go round (like the Chrome version of the clipper).

If the rollout of their Web Clipper is any indication of what we can expect from new products, I will NOT be upgrading to the new version until I'm convinced that all the bugs have been worked out. Based on what many people have experienced with Chrome version of the Web Clipper for Windows, that may take a VERY long time...

• Level 5*

Appreciate the feedback, but it was installed on the first day available (so I would hope it has had time to update and reindex but ???). Maybe I'm an outlier, but it just feels sluggish, choppy, and laggy across the board (even deleting one note at a time feels like a chore in the desktop client). I'm was thinking it might have to do with the UI since I doubt 1500 notes qualifies as a lot (DB = 1.5GB) but who knows? Seems like this was not their cleanest set of releases this go round (like the Chrome version of the clipper).

It's hard to say, then -- I have ~5400 notes on my home machine, ~1000 notes on my work machine, and have seen no obvious slowness.

If the rollout of their Web Clipper is any indication of what we can expect from new products, I will NOT be upgrading to the new version until I'm convinced that all the bugs have been worked out. Based on what many people have experienced with Chrome version of the Web Clipper for Windows, that may take a VERY long time...

Different teams work on the different products, so there's probably not much you can conclude from your experiences with the web clipper. I have had overall good experiences with the new web clipper myself, but obviously others are having problems. Since the web clipper's just out, it may take them a little bit of time to weed them out. I do have problems with some of the choices they've made with the new V5 release, and some omissions, just none with respect to performance. Might be worth a support request, though.

Anyone else notice how much slower EN5 is ? Multiple machines, Synching and deleting seem to crawl and even the UI locks up from time to time when switching views.

Yes, and here is the solution that worked for me -- optimize your database using the hidden debug menu:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/42158-possible-to-revert-to-older-version-due-to-disk-thrashing/?p=226854

@windpower.

Thanks, Trying that now. Under 5 there are more choices than in the article so starting with the optimize database option (and then the reindexing? Not clear if optimizing does reindexing as well or something else, would be nice if they provided some documentation on it).

Will update after, but some of what you describe is also what I was noticing (no thrashing, but response issues and lagging).

Better. Not ideal, not as fast as 4.0 but much improved on the one PC I finished on just now. Thank you!

You're welcome.

For me, v5 is now faster and more responsive than v4.  I have not (yet) tried the other options in the debug menu.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yeah, big time. This is horrible. On multiple notes, I'm clicking and having to wait as long as 5 seconds for the note to display. They advertised that EN5 would be faster. NOT SO. I uninstalled it and went back to the previous version and now it's lightening fast again. The new features and slightly sleeker look don't begin to offset the slowness. They need to test these releases better before they put them out! It's a waste of people's time.

In my experience, EN5 is about 3-4 times slower, based on 32K notes (about 5GB database), tested on 3 PC's: two Windows 7 and one Windows 8, all using SSD drives. Two of the PC's are i3 and one is i5. The application consistently says Evernote Not Responding on all computers, even when repeating the same search. Sadly, this is new as of EN5. 

UPDATE: About 2 days later, I've found that all machines are running faster. I haven't changed anything, as suggested in earlier posts. I had already waited about a day with light use, but perhaps large databases take longer before seeing improvements.

UPDATE 10-15-2013: Even after waiting (previous update), the Windows Evernote 5 is consistently 30%-150% slower, depending on the search. :-(

UPDATE 10-24-2013: The Optimize Database suggestion (below) did help somewhat! I'm now seeing 10%-50% slower responses than EN version 4.x. Ultimately though, that's not cause for joy.

• 3 weeks later...

This is for Windows only, but it completely resolved the slow response problem for me. Switching notebooks takes about one second, compared to the 10-20 seconds it did before I ran the utility.

Be certain to read the entire post first, and don't select anything other than "Optimize Database."

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/optimize-speed-up-evernote-performance-debug-menu/

The article is almost three years old, but still appears to be valid.

This is for Windows only, but it completely resolved the slow response problem for me. Switching notebooks takes about one second, compared to the 10-20 seconds it did before I ran the utility.

Be certain to read the entire post first, and don't select anything other than "Optimize Database."

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/optimize-speed-up-evernote-performance-debug-menu/

KGB (and Windpower)... you are a frickin genius.  Thank you.   :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Because it can literally take over an hour or more to run- especially if you have a lot of notes and notebooks- it probably wouldn't be a good idea to do it automatically during upgrades.

I really think this should be a selection under the Tools tab.

• Level 5

I'd love to see a formal response from Evernote on this suggestion.

• 4 weeks later...

I use Evernote exclusively on my iPhone client (iOS 7, 4s model) and I only have a few dozen notes and it is sloooowwww.     It ALWAYS blocks to synch when you first open it up after a while- why can't it let me type on my local copy and synch in the background?  And opening up a note is also slow.  Even closing a note is slow.  Just slow all the way around.     If the iPhone notes app did not lose my data frequently I would switch back to it.

Evernote 5 is a nasty slow buggy waste of disk space, I wish I had never "upgraded" sic!

Evernorte has gone from being a fabulous time saving application to a nasty slow source of daily irritation.

Changing the name of a note book too 5 attempts and wasted 10 valuable minutes this morning.

Clicking on snippets instead of giving me a nice sharp fast preview is a slow frustrating proceedure

Clipping web pages slow and frustrating and as for selecting the notebook in which to store the note? It was not available so save to the default notebook then go in find the note and move manualy.

Evernote you are fast becomming a joke, sort it and sort if fast if you want to keep paying customers all I am doing currently is paying you to waste my valuable time. NOT good enough.

• 7 months later...
Posted · Hidden by BurgersNFries, September 3, 2014 - cross posting
Hidden by BurgersNFries, September 3, 2014 - cross posting

(cross-posted from similar topic)

I believe I have solved this. I can’t be certain every step is needed, but this is what I did – and an increasing Evernote startup delay went from minutes to literally sub-second. Windows 7 64 bit.

1. Uninstall your local Evernote using normal the normal Windows 7 “Programs and Features” uninstall.
  2. In your user AppData folder (which is usually hidden, so you may need to change that in your folder controls), search and destroy any files owned by Evernote. Note that these may appear in at least two different sub-folders; be thorough. Note also, though, that other programs such as your browser(s) have data in AppData. If you care, don’t kill stuff related, for example, to your Google searches done to try to solve this problem!
  3. Use CCleaner to clean up (i.e., clobber) any registry references to Evernote.
  4. Remove any remaining Evernote desktop shortcuts – including Launchpad icons.
  5. Download the current Evernote install file and run it. Set up a new launchpad icon (optional). Start Evernote and sign in. Enjoy (assuming this all works).

Note:  I’m reasonably certain the root cause of the problem is that at least one Evernote update did only a partial job of switching all references to itself – and of cleaning up after the update itself. There was a load of stuff in the AppData folder(s) relating to previous Evernote versions.

Final note: I have two Windows 7 systems with the same exact versions of Windows and of Evernote. One had this problem (solved as above). The other seems not to … yet. This might or might not relate to the fact that one system (the one that had the problem) is several years old, whereas the other was rebuilt from scratch (a completely new hard disk) within the last six months.  So, it could be that Evernote’s installation routine failed to clean up a really old previous Evernote install at some point. That’s just an educated guess, though.

Archived