(Archived) Cannot use left arrow key to walk down DOM nodes

brandonb927

In the title there is some technical jargon, but the basic premise of my issue is: I clip an article with the new Chrome Web Clipper(v6) and I used to be able to to up and down DOM nodes using the keyboard. Specifically, I could move to the next node and move down the page using my left arrow key on my keyboard. This however is now taken over by the Web clipper to move to the next Clipping Type (from Article, moves to Simplified Article) and it's frankly quite annoying. I looked through the docs and the keyboard shortcuts for the new clipper, but I cannot seem to find how to do what I used to be able to do... Let me know if you need screenshots or anything to explain the issue further. Any help would be appreciated!

Moving the selection to adjacent DOM nodes were never really understood by users and unpredictable so in WC6 we mapped the arrow keys to navigating the sidebar clip actions as this proved more useful for more users. You can still use arrow keys to expand & contract the article selection but the feature of moving it is depreciated. Sorry about that and kudos to you for actually grasping the behavior of it...

One more vote to restore this feature somehow. Sometimes the clipper just guesses wrong when it decides which part of the page to clip. Expanding and contracting isn't enough, because there's no control over which section it contracts to.

For others suffering with this, a workaround I found is to select text first, before opening the clipper. Then it gives you the option to clip just the selection.

This isn't ideal, though, since I don't always think to (or want to) select text before opening the clipper. If I open the clipper and see that it has the wrong section of the page clipped, I have to exit out of it, select the text, then open it again.

I - for one - can't even figure out how to use the article clipper now that this feature is gone.  No amount of clicking or button presses select the desired region for me.  I didn't think anything could make me reconsider Evernote... but a completely non-functional web clipper would certainly do it.

PLEASE map something... I vote for CTRL + arrow keys (currently unused and a trivially easy transition for advanced users).  Please map the up and down arrows as well so we don't have to remember to press and unpress the CTRL key.

Another vote from me. As clever as the Clipper is, I doubt even your cleverest programmers will be able to get it to correctly predict where the actual article is on all pages.

As an aside, are there any plans to develop an official clipper on Android? I haven't found a third party one that does it well.

IMO, the Web Clipper is seriously broken without this functionality. I can learn a new keyboard shortcut, but I can't use Web Clipper without this feature. I regularly want to capture a part of the website I'm visiting, but not necessarily all of the main content. I can no longer do that.

I - for one - can't even figure out how to use the article clipper now that this feature is gone.  No amount of clicking or button presses select the desired region for me.  I didn't think anything could make me reconsider Evernote... but a completely non-functional web clipper would certainly do it.

PLEASE map something... I vote for CTRL + arrow keys (currently unused and a trivially easy transition for advanced users).  Please map the up and down arrows as well so we don't have to remember to press and unpress the CTRL key.

Same here, article clipping is no longer functional. Even if the handlebars show, they won't move.

Count mine another vote for the return of this feature in some form.

It's been indispensable for me!

This suggestion seems reasonable. 

I was using this feature to clip the best answers from stackoverflow. That was a really useful way to get code snippets. 

Now I have to clip the whole page and then look for the correct answer when I need it.

Another vote from me!

Will consider bringing it back, agree that we can map a less prominent shortcut to it and that should be fine. 

Please bring it back.  The new clipper is pretty but you've crippled it by removing useful features.  

In the mean time I don't suppose there's a way for me to go back to the old version?

It's completely useless to have such tool like Web Clipper, when there is no possibility to select which region of web page you'd like to clip.

Please, return this functionality back.

ps: it's not only left arrow - right arrow is affected too

One more vote for this feature. Only found article selection today - two very similar pages got article selected differently - the first - by luck - just what I wanted - the second not what I want and I cant change it. Will go try the select alternative. 

Walking DOM nodes via left & right arrows should be restored in 6.0.2, please make sure you are running that version and let me know if that works for you.  

You guys rock so hard! This is why I love working with Evernote :) My only gripe now is when I select up or down arrow key the page moves up and down, but I can deal with that.

Works great for me! Thanks so much guys!

Walking DOM nodes via left & right arrows should be restored in 6.0.2, please make sure you are running that version and let me know if that works for you.  

You guys rock so hard! This is why I love working with Evernote :) My only gripe now is when I select up or down arrow key the page moves up and down, but I can deal with that.

I found that by holding down ctrl while using the arrow keys the Evernote clip still changes but the page doesn't scroll.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived