(Archived) Reminder Search ramindertime:day+1

Skitzi

I can't seem to get day+1 to work as search criteria, however day-1 does work.

remindertime:day  -reminderTime:day+1

Trying to display all reminders due today. If I turn on the "Show Search Explanation" feature it shows that is is searching for "1" in the text rather as part of the reminderTime:day advanced filter. It is change it to -1 it works fine. Any ideas how to make this work?

• Level 5*

I don't think that +1 (or +<anything>) works for any of the date search terms, e.g. "updated:" and "created:", and hasn't for a long time. "reminderTime:" puts this deficiency into a particular highlight.

I don't think that +1 (or +<anything>) works for any of the date search terms, e.g. "updated:" and "created:", and hasn't for a long time. "reminderTime:" puts this deficiency into a particular highlight.

Well, that just sucks now doesn't it. Thank you for the information!

• Level 5

During his presentation at LeWeb in Paris (Dec 2012), Evernote's CEO - Phil Libin - laughed off the users' predicament of dealing with items, tasks and appointments scheduled for the balance of the day by saying:

"Notes from the future, they are kind of creepy."

Three years ago, Dave Engberg (Evernote CTO) posted the following plan.

Re: Saved Search Grammar for "today plus the past"by engberg on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:14 pm

We're adding '+' to the grammar in anticipation of due dates, so you'll be able to do:
-created:day+1

I think it already works that way on the web, but we're adding it to the clients.

Search Code 47ER92

• Level 5*

Reminders from the future are actually kinda a good thing.

I don't think that the <xxx>:day+1 ever worked, on any client that ever saw. The Windows client seems to bollix it up and turn the "+1" bit into a search for the iteral text "1" (see the Search Explanation).

Hmm, I had been looking for a more robust tool to switch to from Wunderlist. Evernote seemed like a great fit but not having reminders and due dates along with a way to see my daily due tasks makes it a hard change. I suppose I could write due dates in the title of notes and then search each day for the current date... Seems like such basic functionality to be missing.

Any other suggestions? I love the extra functionality, maybe moving to two apps with one being a more traditional to do app. Any apps that happen to integrate somehow?

• Level 5

Hmm, I had been looking for a more robust tool to switch to from Wunderlist. Evernote seemed like a great fit but not having reminders and due dates along with a way to see my daily due tasks makes it a hard change. I suppose I could write due dates in the title of notes and then search each day for the current date... Seems like such basic functionality to be missing.

Any other suggestions? I love the extra functionality, maybe moving to two apps with one being a more traditional to do app. Any apps that happen to integrate somehow?

I agree. My work-around solution is what the Evernote CEO, Phil Libin, laughs at and calls "Creepy".

I use the Created Date and Copy Note Link feature to handle my appointments and tasks.

Here is an example. I had to schedule a doctor's appointment today.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Step #1)

I pasted my blank telephone template into a new note and called the Appointment Line. I wrote down the scheduled appointment information into the template.

Step #2)

I created a new note for the actual appointment on Dec 13. Yup, a 3 month wait - thank you Obamacare! Then I changed the Created Date to Dec. 13 at 10:40 AM. (a.k.a. the "note from the future")

Step #3)

To link the two notes, I copied the Note Link URL from the completed phone template and pasted it into the Dec 13 appointment note.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I can accomplish this is much less time than it takes to type this forum post.

So when December rolls around, I will have a reminder to both the Dec.13 appt info and the Sept 13 original phone call info.

I've tried the two system method (Evernote and something else), but it never worked well for me. I gave Remember the Milk.com , ToDoist.com, and GMail calendar a shot. I prefer to keep everything in one location.

Thank you for the ideas :)

I am currently taking a look at any.do. the Chrome plugin lets you create reminders from gmail directly into any.do, and the app in general seems rather great. It wont pull weight as a note taking app so trying to come up with a good workflow. I do see that the any.do team is working on a "Memo" app, perhaps that will turn into a decent note taking app. Anyways, thank you for all the info and help. Evernote has for sure replaced Wunderlist, but now I have to work out how I want to fill in the missing functionality. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hmm... Seems you are correct. In Windows client, date field modifers using "+" end up searching on the number itself. Looks like only minus works as expected.

The documentation here: http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php  gives examples of date fields using plus and minus on date fields - specifically in the reminderTime section: 

reminderTime:day+7
Matches all notes with a reminder set for the next 7 days

Interesting that the Relative Date Arguments section near the bottom talks about an integer delta, but lists only minus in the examples following. Is that a coincidence?
  • Level 5*

This is still MIA as of the 5.03 beta.

@kennethmgreen: Re the search grammar documentation: Based on a small bit of testing with the web client, it appears that the use of '+' with respect to date specification is correct (at least for reminderTime, I didn't test the others). I made a reminder with a date in the future, and then played around with various reminderTime:month+<x> values, and it seemed to work fine. I'm pretty sure that this is a bug in the Windows client, which is known to do some preprocessing of the user query in order to turn it into the actual query used (e.g.the adding of the wildcard '*' to literal text search terms to). I'm not sure whether the query is handled locally rather than going to the Evernote server or not, but the Search Explanation also reflects that using '+' with a date term is mishandled.

Archived