(Archived) Evernote not indexing the data properly

Has anyone had a problem with a evernote  not indexing the data properly? I am a free user and do not have a lot of data. For example, in the past four days, I have had about 1 MB of usage.

However, I am now unable to search for keywords the new notes new notes that have been added since August. The notes do exist but when I do a search with a keyword in all notes, then these new notes do not seem to be searched. I am using the latest version of Windows. The information in the notes is all text. Any inputs will be appreciated

Thanks for the response. I am using evernote  version 4.6.0.7670 (268178) on windows xp. I  see similar behavior with intitle: and also when I search without using any of the tags i..e just typing in the keyword.

The desktop version will not show the notes. The web version indexes properly. The syncing of the notes is happening though

I am seeing bizarre behavior. Since the day I started using web version actively (i.e. 2 days ago), syncing has stopped. The desktop version shows that syncing is successful. However, the new notes do not appear when I login to the web version. I tried logging in and out. Tried to sync when the web version is logged out. Tried from other computers. Tried syncing several times. No difference.

I have searched around. Nobody seems to have this issue. I am using windows XP in a VM on centos 6.3. I never had problems with evernote until now.There does not seem to be a trigger for this either e.g. some unconventioanl data type that I added OR any problem in the operating system.

Thanks for the response. I have filed a support request. I was staring at the evernote screen (in a bid to stare down the problem :-)), when I noticed that the Notebook called all notes had a different color than other notebooks.

I have filed the notes in the all notebooks (I haven't created multiple notebooks - tags serve the purpose for me). I have appended a screenshot of the file. I have 495 notes and the web version shows 374.

I did not find that it exceeds the limits for a free account provided by evernote as detailed here http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/34227-total-account-limit/.

Please advise

post-116490-0-94606500-1379185982_thumb.

FYI  This is what a typical log says . I have replaced any personal information from <RemovedForSecurity> . I am unable to post it in support request because of the lack of characters so posting it here

01:13:41 [3296] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedFresh)
01:14:12 [484] 0% Authenticating user <RemovedForSecurity>
01:14:21 [2748] Opened database: <RemovedForSecurity>exb (32.3MB Fixed)
01:14:24 [4336] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com
01:14:24 [4336] 0% * loaded updateCount: 2340
01:14:25 [4336] 0% Usage Metrics: sessionCount=0
01:14:25 [4336] 0% Client is up to date with the server, updateCount=2340
01:14:25 [4336] 0% * saved updateCount: 2340
01:14:25 [4336] 0% Session terminated normally, elapsed time: 0s
01:14:25 [4336] 0% * sent: 154B, received: 91B
01:14:25 [4336] 0% * 1s (100%) spent in EDAM RPC

• Level 5*

OK from the last two posts - the notebook called "all notes" isn't a notebook as such - it's just that you're currently seeing a display of,  or searching,  all your notes.  Kind've exactly what it says on the can.  It doesn't include anything in your trash,  but it will include all 'local' (non-synced) notes.

Clearly if you're not syncing,  there may be notes on the server you're not seeing and notes on your computer that don't make it to the server.

I'm nervous about you operating in VM,  because I don't know whether or not that's built in to Evernote;  that's why I suggested support.  And as to the character limit,  I suggest you post the url to this forum so they can read what's happened so far.  Other than that "It's broke" should do the job.  

Good luck...  and do post the answer here when you find it!

Today I googled more and all I could find was that customer support will sya rebuild the database as an answer to similar problem. So instead of waiting for them to respond,

1. Signed out and  Closed the desktop version
  2. database directory to another location.
  3. Reopened the desktop version and logged in once again
  4. The sync happened  and the databse got rebuilt
  5. now if I add a note, it gets synced.
  6. However, the problem now is hwo to sync the 60+ notes that I had created in teh past few days. I should have exported the notes in step (1) and then closed the desktop version
  7. Now I have a database but no idea how to open it (should I  make my computer offline to prevent syncing,  change the database folder in desktop to point to the old database location - then export then notes to exb file , then repoint the database folder to the new database location and then import the exb file). even if I can access the textual content of hte notes I an perhaps recreate them by hand.

Ideas welcome. Thanks

What you suggest in Point 7 should work, except that the export format is 'enex'.  Make sure you include tags as well (from 'Options' in the Export dialog).  Keep in mind that the notebook from which notes came is not preserved in an export, so if your 60+ notes span more than one notebook, export each batch seperately so you can easily reassign them to the correct notebook after import.

Good luck and let us know if you have any problems!

Now I have a database but no idea how to open it (should I make my computer offline to prevent syncing, change the database folder in desktop to point to the old database location - then export then notes to exb file , then repoint the database folder to the new database location and then import the exb file). even if I can access the textual content of hte notes I an perhaps recreate them by hand.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! When you move the EN database folder from within EN, it does just that...*moves* the database which may result in overwriting the one you're wanting to restore notes from. What I would suggest you do is:

]

Ok, here's how to pull the note from your backup exb file.

• Fully exit EN. Confirm no elephants in the system task bar.
  • Confirm you've found your live exb file by looking at the last modified date. (IE, if you've made new notes today, it should be today.)
  • Disconnect your computer from the internet.
  • Rename live exb file to something like your-username-20130415.exb (this retains a copy of your LIVE database)
  • COPY the backup exb file to your-username.exb
  • Invoke EN. It will now be looking at a copy of your backup.
  • Find the note(s) you are looking for & select them. Export them to enex.
  • Fully exit EN. Confirm no elephants in the system task bar.
  • Rename your-username.exb file to your-username-delete-later.exb (or something like that. I prefer copying rather than renaming or deleting in case you make a mistake - you're not destroying the original & can delete it later, when you're sure you no longer need it.)
  • Copy your-username-20130415.exb to your-username.exb This reverts back to your live database & keeps a backup copy as well.
  • Invoke Evernote. It's now using a copy of your live database.
  • Import the enex file.
  • Reconnect to the internet.
That should do it.

Good luck!

Regarding step 2, the accurate way of finding the Live EN database is from the tools/options/general tab.

Also, this info applies to Windows version 4.x and I think will apply to Windows 5.x. I don't know if this will work if one database is for version 4 & another database is for version 5.

Be sure to tick the box to retain tag info when exporting.

As logandb said, notebook info is not retained in enex. So you should do one enex file for each notebook. An alternative is to tag the notes with the notebook name & export all the notes you wish to recover to a single enex file. After they have been imported into the good database, you will know what notebook name to move them to based upon the tag.

Archived