Feature Request: hotkeys to change sort

joeever

Idea

Surely others have asked for this before.  It is such a desirable feature that I can't understand why it isn't already a part of the program.

The user should have the ability to change the sort order of the notes with hotkeys.  Let me hit a couple of keys to instantly change the sort order of my notes.  Sometimes I want them sorted by name in the normal sequence.  Sometimes I want them sorted by the update but in reverse order.  I actually don't use Evernote for some of the work I would like it to do simply because it is too slow to change the sort order with the mouse and menus.  The ability to make instant sort changes would be a fabulous power to have.

Joe

22 replies to this idea

9 minutes ago, Jake Silver said:

Ah, I figured it out!  Don't put in "sort by", or "view" or anything like that.  Just enter "Title", or "Date Created", or whatever you want to make shortcuts for.

Hey man, you made my day! Yes, indeed, it works :)

Hopefully evernote will not add another menu items named "Title" in future ;) 

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Jake Silver said:

Ah, I figured it out!  Don't put in "sort by", or "view" or anything like that.  Just enter "Title", or "Date Created", or whatever you want to make shortcuts for.

Good catch - the shortcut title has to be the exact wording, or it won't work
Sorry, I should have noticed that on your original post
I've been caught by that too

2 hours ago, Jake Silver said:

Hey DTLow, would you mind telling me how you managed to get those hotkeys to work on MacOS?  They don't seem to do anything when I assign shortcuts to them in the Keyboard Shortcuts preference pane.  

Attached is what I tried:

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 10.06.45 AM.png

@Jake Silver, the problem could be that there's a conflict with another app. I've seen this happen before and the problem in that case was actually that the shortcut was already used by EN. I'm not sure how you go about determining the culprit, if that is in fact the problem.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Sorry, I don't have anything else - they just workedScreen Shot 2017-01-24 at 7.31.14 AM.png

I can tell you when I go into Evernote, I see my 
new shortcuts listed

Tried different variants (View->Sort by:Title, View->Sort by->Title) - nothing worked for me as well :(

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Jake Silver said:

Hey DTLow, would you mind telling me how you managed to get those hotkeys to work on MacOS?  They don't seem to do anything when I assign shortcuts to them in the Keyboard Shortcuts preference pane.

Sorry, I don't have anything else - they just workedScreen Shot 2017-01-24 at 7.31.14 AM.png

I can tell you when I go into Evernote, I see my 
new shortcuts listed

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, MikeHa said:

Just to comment that sometimes a commonly used notebook (everyday) is very usefully sorted by last update or by title on the fly so to speak; and though the drop down option (as per Morticia's post, I really think a hot-key for a basic requirement to change sorting would be more efficient and a nice feature - I really find it a bit distracting.to use the mouse for this.

The Mac OS allows shortcut keystrokes to be assigned to menu items
On my Mac, I've assigned hotkeys to each sort option (I needed this for scripting)

As @csihilling posted, the Windows platform allows you to assign separate sort views so you won't need to change sequences on the fly.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, MikeHa said:

Just to comment that sometimes a commonly used notebook (everyday) is very usefully sorted by last update or by title on the fly so to speak; and though the drop down option (as per Morticia's post, I really think a hot-key for a basic requirement to change sorting would be more efficient and a nice feature -

This is accommodated in the new Windows version which lets you save the sort and view for notebooks, searches and tags.

Hi

Just to comment that sometimes a commonly used notebook (everyday) is very usefully sorted by last update or by title on the fly so to speak; and though the drop down option (as per Morticia's post, I really think a hot-key for a basic requirement to change sorting would be more efficient and a nice feature - I really find it a bit distracting.to use the mouse for this.

To back up the argument there are plenty of other hot keys defined as per https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004807

Devs - Customers like myself pay a significant sum each year for Premium and I'd really appreciate this if possible.....!?

Thanks

Mike Ha

• Level 5*

while the devs do say they read these posts,  it's pretty rare for them to respond directly - plus its entirely up to them whether and when they decide to implement any changes...

Really?  What an amazing concept.  A software company gets to decide what changes they make.  Shocking!  Did you think that up all by yourself?

I thought all I had to do was tell the devs here what I want, and then they'd implement it immediately.   :D

• Level 5*

+1.

Or save the sort order for the the notebook. Some notebooks by default need order by name, but the full list of notes should be ordered by date. Very inconvenient to change ordering manually each time...

I doubt developers read this forum though, there is long thread about formatting enhancements (styles etc) but there is no reaction from devs

It seems pretty easy to change the sort order if you need to,  and while the devs do say they read these posts,  it's pretty rare for them to respond directly - plus its entirely up to them whether and when they decide to implement any changes...

+1.

Or save the sort order for the the notebook. Some notebooks by default need order by name, but the full list of notes should be ordered by date. Very inconvenient to change ordering manually each time...

I doubt developers read this forum though, there is long thread about formatting enhancements (styles etc) but there is no reaction from devs

+1

Not having hotkeys and not having it save views per notebook means clicking that button a LOT.

Even just allow it to be changed via keyboard only so i can autohotkey it.

Pretty pleasey bring this in.

It's a single mouse click if you have the view set to list view, but in snippet or card view you have to pick from the drop-down.

I think the usability of EN would be substantially enhanced by making the view options sticky on a per-notebook basis, and/or toolbar icons to quickly set some pre-determined view options.

A single button at the top of the snippet and card view to reverse the sort would be a start.

Configurable buttons to set the view, sort order and even column widths to pre-set values would be much better.

Including a filter/saved search in the button configuration is getting close to perfect.

Then, hotkeys to select the buttons.

A big part of the usefulness of EN isn't the content of a single note, it's the way a collection of notes is presented, and I agree with joeever that it takes too long to change the presentation.

Actually, Gazumped, it takes 6 clicks to change the sort if you want to change the sort and the reverse or forward order because when you make one change, the damned menu disappears before you can change the forward or reverse order.  And just getting to the menu each time takes a number of clicks.  

How about this: allow one hotkey to pull up a menubox where you can select the sort you want and the box won't disappear until you have chosen both the sort and the order?

Archived