(Archived) Windows v5 - please don't hide the Note Title

luckman212

• Level 5

One major annoyance with the UI downgrade in v5 is that as you scroll down in a note, the Note Title scrolls away and becomes hidden. Sometimes I need to refer to or edit the title and now it forces me to lose my place in the note to scroll back to the top - please revert this senseless behavior! Thank you

yup agree

People -- please like the lead thread comment so we can get some traction on this. An editable title at the header of the note (which doesn't scroll away) is as important -- if not more important - than editable tags or any of the meta info etc.

• 5 weeks later...

This is not only a problem on the Windows version - the Mac version (now 5.4.1) also scrolls the title with the note.

I would be very thankful if they fixed it (it is broken!) - I'm often looking for info in the note as I name it, e.g. dates, what I was quoted a price on, etc. etc.

• 3 months later...

Any chance on some movement on this issue? I encounter problems on a daily basis, when I need to rename "Untitled" pdfs I bring in through the web clipper. It is a real pain not to be able to keep the Title bar visible when scrolling the pdf below.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Any chance on some movement on this issue? I encounter problems on a daily basis, when I need to rename "Untitled" pdfs I bring in through the web clipper. It is a real pain not to be able to keep the Title bar visible when scrolling the pdf below.

It's not a solution, but instead of scrolling I suggest you push the info button to the right and edit the title there.

Thanks, good tip, but still only a partial solution, since (a) it obscures part of the note (B) requires three mouse clicks vs. just hitting command-L and editing the title.

Actually upon creating a new note (e.g. by dropping a pdf document into Evernote) the title is already highlighted, you can just type. So as it currently works, the moment you scroll down, your cursor scrolls off the screen (how confusing is that to a new user?!).

I would like to see the note title right at the top of the note, with the notebook and tags below it, and with the Tab key moving you from field to field, with the final Tab dropping you in the note (as the first Tab currently does). So like creating a new email in mail.app, you type all the relevant info in, with tabs separating the fields, no shortcuts or mouse operations required.

As things stand, you must point and click, or learn the shortcuts - it could be easier. 

• Level 5*

Isn't it always there highlighted in the Note list?  Or at least an F10 away?

Yes on the former. F10 in the Windows client toggles the left panel display, so I don't think that that works.

I'm fine with this, myself; I'll take the vertical screen space.

• Level 5

Please bring back the note title.

Because Clearly is so fast and easy to use, I usually capture 15 to 25 web pages from today's news at a single sitting. I'll review them at my leisure later in the day.

As I read the article later in the day, I often find the subject matter warrants a change in the title. This requires me to add comments for the possible title change to Notepad on my 2nd monitor (so I don't lose my position in the note). Once I finish reading the entire note, I will scroll back tp the top and edit the title, erase the notepad contents, then repeat the process for the next note.  This new version of Evernote is much more tedious and time consuming than version 4.7.

The title disappears with F11 when scrolling through the note.

• Level 5

I was with you until "the title disappears with F11 when scrolling through the note"
Not Groking there. The title is always visible if the Note list is Visible.

Now, you say, editing the title without losing your place... Indeed, that's a different kettle of fish.
We do have at least 2 options there though don't we?

1. The aformentioned Info icon.  The title is editiable there without losing your scroll position.
    • According to the KB on keyboard shortcuts,  F8 should bring up the Info area too, though my Voip client seems to have usurped that key in my instance.
  2. F2 edits the title of the focused note, without changing the cursor position.  The quirk here is you can't see what you're typing.  Though once you hit enter, the change is reflected in the Note List.
  • Level 5

I was with you until "the title disappears with F11 when scrolling through the note"

Not Groking there. The title is always visible if the Note list is Visible.

Yes, the title disappears when the Note List panel is visible. It does not help if the Note List panel is visible or not because it cannot be edited there.

But I assumed you meant when you use F11 to shut down the Note List panel, so I wanted to point out that the disappearing title happens in both scenarios.  Once it disappears it can no longer be edited. It was always editable in version 4.7. I have brought this issue to Evernote Support as well. They agreed and passed my comments on to the developers.

Here is a screen shot before scrolling and after scrolling just a few lines down. Sorry that I cannot mark it up with Skitch - the Sitch markup feature is still down.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/9f8540bc-b63f-48e5-b3e4-ee59a1c71ccf/4696c517209f4d056f6d8164160cb784

• Level 5

Oh, certainly it disappears in the note.  I was merely saying I can flick my eyes left to the note list and still see what it is.

In your screenshots you can see the note title in both captures, in the note list.

And after an F2, I can edit it, even though I can't see it (until I hit return and then the update is reflected in the Note list).

For my purposes, it would conserve vertical height if the note title became visible beside the created and modified fields when I'm in edit mode on a note and tap ALT (which toggles the edit bar with the created/modified values).  Optional empty space there.

I think this could and should be really simple and easy - the title should be visible always, probably right at the top, with tab moving you through all the fields ending in the note body (e.g. title, notebook, tags, note body).

Instead the workflow for capturing a new note is littered with mouse movements and clicks and shortcut keys - try for yourself doing it using only the keyboard and filling in all the fields.

Btw, I actually can't think of another program in Windows or Mac that allows editing text with the cursor not in focus. All of them bring the cursor back into focus when you start typing. But having the note scroll to the cursor when you start editing the title would be a huge step backwards from where we are now.

• Level 5*

I don't care about the note title being visible all the time, but F2 (shortcut key to edit the title) *should* bring the title into view so that you can edit it visibly. Whether that scrolls you to the top of the note where the title-editing evidently control lives, or just pops it up temporarily so that you don't lose your place wouldn't make much difference in my use case.

It's not a solution, but instead of scrolling I suggest you push the info button to the right and edit the title there.

Is there a shortcut key for the info button? I tried F8 and it doesn't bring up the note info. 

• Level 5*

Is there a shortcut key for the info button?
Not that I could find, but that's would be useful.

It's supposed to be f8 unless the support docs are outdated. Doesn't work for me.

I'd bet on "outdated"...
Still technically correct. It is dependant on a registry key because the note info panel has changed in behaviour and auto hides now.

If you turn off the auto hiding then f8 toggles the showing of the created/hosted fields above the formatting toolbar.

Not related to the info panel, that you click to see the note info now in v5.

Archived