(Archived) Linking posts to each other best practice?

Kay in t Veen

Idea

Hi all,

I'm using evernote for a few days now. but the main thing i'v been missing a lot, but maybe there is a solution but i just do know of yet. But i have a lot of documents, that are followups on each other..

Or another case can be, i have a credit card statement and want to attach all the receipts to it or something. 

is there a good solution?

4 replies to this idea

Hi all,

I'm using evernote for a few days now. but the main thing i'v been missing a lot, but maybe there is a solution but i just do know of yet. But i have a lot of documents, that are followups on each other..

Or another case can be, i have a credit card statement and want to attach all the receipts to it or something. 

is there a good solution?

1. I'd use a note link.

2. I'd add all receipts to the same note as the credit card.  But I'd never want to do this since I use credit cards for everything b/c I want those points/rebates.  So that's a lot of receipts.  I use NeatReceipts/Neatworks/whatever it's now called for thermal receipts.  But if I put them in Evernote, I'd put each receipt in its own note & title them with this format:

YYYYMMDD - vendor name

Example:

20130909 - Party City

If I looked at my credit card statement & realized I wanted to see a receipt from Party City with a transaction date of 9/9/13, I'd search on:

intitle:20130909 "Party city"

If necessary, results can be refined by either tagging the receipt with 'receipt' & including that tag in the search.  Or by putting all receipts in a receipts notebook & limiting the search to that notebook. Or by specifying "Party City" as intitle as well.

Thats a great suggestion to add dates in such format. is what i do for my photography (have like 5 project each week so that counts up aswell)..

But when talking about letters, or tax things i get a lot of follow up letters, which i would love to combine. im thinking of tagging it or something but that would be a horrible task. 

• Level 5*

I've decided on 'smart titles' to help find things.  Evernote search is very good so in the normal way if you just use "yyyymmdd - [type] - [detail]" where "type" is letter / email / receipt / statement etc and "detail" is "bank letter about my loan" - or whatever's appropriate..  It's an easy format to remember,  and to apply consistently,  and as Burgers says above as long as you can remember anything about the item you want to find,  you can get to it.  Plus all organisations use references these days,  so: want to find out about your insurance policy?  Search on the number.  Evernote will find stuff you forgot you had!

I've decided on 'smart titles' to help find things.  Evernote search is very good so in the normal way if you just use "yyyymmdd - [type] - [detail]" where "type" is letter / email / receipt / statement etc and "detail" is "bank letter about my loan" - or whatever's appropriate..  It's an easy format to remember,  and to apply consistently,  and as Burgers says above as long as you can remember anything about the item you want to find,  you can get to it.  Plus all organisations use references these days,  so: want to find out about your insurance policy?  Search on the number.  Evernote will find stuff you forgot you had!

Yeah using that for now as well. thanks. 

Archived