Where is the Reminder List in Evernote 5?

lindend

The Evernote 5 announce in the blog shows a reminder list after you create a note(s) with reminders.  I created a couple of notes with a Reminder (set for today), but I can't find the reminder list shown in the blog.  Where should this list be appearing?

• Level 5*

They only appear if you are using Snippet View or Card View for your note list, but not in List View. Also, they only appear if they meet the note filter currently in use.

+1 on that.

2 suggestions to help:

1. Lindend - you can enter the search term remindertime: - this will pull up only notes with reminders.  It is not perfect as you cannot see the reminder time for all items in the list.
  2. Evernote - it would be helpful if you could include the reminder date/time as a column within the List View 

Further complicating this, I just checked my iPad and reminders are available in list view so this doesn't appear to be a fundamental incompatibility between reminders and list views.  In addition, I much prefer the slide out reminders in mobile devices to compared to trying to cram them into the current view.  For consistency, I would have expected to see the reminders in the left-panel just like the shortcuts (like how its handled w/iOS).

• Level 5*

Reminders on that *other* mobile platform (Android) are not slide-out, but they can be collapsed/expanded at the top of the note list, just as they can be on the V5 Windows client.

• Level 5*

Yes, you're right. Just checked my Nexus 4 and Android behaves like Windows when it comes to reminders.  So which version has the correct UI and what does the Mac version do?

They all have the correct UI, so long as inconsistency doesn't make a UI wrong. I don't think that that's necessarily so. Sometimes there is no way to make applications on separate platforms be absolutely consistent without making them inappropriate for one or another of the platforms that they all run on, because the underlying platforms have different conventions.

Something just isn't right here (lets ignore cross platform UI inconsistencies for now because you may be right about that).  

Android has a similar UI concept for displaying the reminders embedded with the note list, but even in list view, the reminders are always present.  It seems like its only the Windows client that hides the reminders while in list view. 

• Level 5*

Create a search: "reminderOrder:*" without the quotation marks. Add it to your shortcuts. that will show you all the notes that have reminders, even in list view. What it won't tell you is when the reminder is due. Obviously, some further work is required to "perfect" this feature.

[Edited to add] It would be cool if we were able to add the "reminder date and time" field to our list view. It is not an option at present. Hopefully, some time in the not too distant future.

• Level 5*

Create a search: "reminderOrder:*" without the quotation marks. Add it to your shortcuts. that will show you all the notes that have reminders, even in list view. What it won't tell you is when the reminder is due. Obviously, some further work is required to "perfect" this feature.

[Edited to add] It would be cool if we were able to add the "reminder date and time" field to our list view. It is not an option at present. Hopefully, some time in the not too distant future.

To add to this: you need to click on the search bar to display the saved searches, then you can drag that search to the left panel.

Create a search: "reminderOrder:*" without the quotation marks. Add it to your shortcuts. that will show you all the notes that have reminders, even in list view. What it won't tell you is when thanks he reminder is due. Obviously, some further work is required to "perfect" this feature.

To add to this: you need to click on the search bar to display the saved searches, then you can drag that search to the left panel.

That's where Saved Searches went! I've been looking for them for the last hour.  Thanks FactMan (:

• Level 5*

+1 on that one. Anything but List View is just for playing ;-)

Oh really? I use it snippet all the time, for work and personal use. Maybe I'll just never be a "power user" *sigh*
  • Level 5*

Jeff, don't feel too badly - the snippet view does give you much more information at a glance (creation date, title, tags, and the start of the note ...) so I guess that is more "power" than is in the list view. I must confess that I tended to use the list view, but am moving more toward the snippet view. Does that mean I am losing my power???

• Level 5*

Jeff, don't feel too badly - the snippet view does give you much more information at a glance (creation date, title, tags, and the start of the note ...) so I guess that is more "power" than is in the list view. I must confess that I tended to use the list view, but am moving more toward the snippet view. Does that mean I am losing my power???

:) You are not losing your power. Snippet view works great for me, and I don't need to spend a lot of time/energy fiddling with different sort orders, because I can use search effectively. Different strokes...
  • 1 month later...

Consider this another request for displaying reminders in list view on Windows desktop.  I work in both Windows and Mac environments, and it is incredibly frustrating to not have reminders displayed in list view on Windows.  I don't understand the logic behind displaying reminders in snippet and card view, but not list view.

I used to use Snippet view all the time (and still do for some notebooks) but with the clunky sort option, I have switched to list view. I just always set a date on reminders now, so I don't forget they're up there.

+1 on adding reminder dates/times as a column in list view, so that we can sort on that. Also, it would be useful to have a shortcut key for adding reminders, or at least have "add reminder" in the right-click context menu ("Mark reminder as done" is already there). As it is now, I can create, tag and move a note without leaving my keyboard, but I have to reach for my mouse to add a reminder. Or did I miss something here?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 For me for reminder date/time column in list view for me too. I have "Hold" folder for future actions. Scan weekly to move to curent action list. Being able to sort reminder date in list view would be helpful.

Currently, I am using email reminder - but it would be nice to see list in chron order - I could move things up if I had option / time.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 Yes, please add reminder and date/time in the list view.

You may want to do a survey of the preferred views among long-term heavy users. My guess is that list view is #1, and may even be used by the majority.

• 5 weeks later...

It should not really matter which view you prefer or use, the way to view reminders should work regardless. I had to search how to view them last week and it worked. I had to search how to view them again today because it didn't work. Turns out it is because today I am in list view. That sort of  "exceptions list" mode of design is never good.

• Level 5*

As long as they can be hidden. I have a lot of reminders and I don't want to see them unless they are for today. Otherwise, what's the point of having a reminder?

Different people use reminders in different ways. I don't keep a lot of them around, so future reminders don't bother me. As it is, you can turn off upcoming reminders, which I believe filters out reminders later than those with today's date.
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

And another +1 being able to see reminders in list view.  Also to add search functions that allow relative and absolute searches as we ll as simple boolean expressions.  Combined these functions will make Evernote very powerful as a remember everything including when you want to be reminded of the content of notes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Until something changes with the existing reminder search syntax, the below will show all open reminders up to the day before the date in the last parameter below (7/25) in the list view.

• -reminderdonetime:20100101 remindertime:20100101 -remindertime:20140726

If that's what you want to see.

• 8 months later...
  • Level 5*

Do you get results if you do a reminderorder:* search?  Just to be sure you have reminders.

You need to modify the above search to get reminders through today, 4/18:  Copy paste the below into your search bar and it should work.

• -reminderdonetime:20100101 remindertime:20100101 -remindertime:20150419
  • 2 months later...

Archived